Really? When was the last phone from RIM released? I agree with the business statement is wrong but RIM hasn't put anything new out to review.
    You're being logical. That will get you labeled as a hater/troll in these here parts.
    bk1022, howarmat, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    12-17-12 08:05 AM
    Let's all not forget, it was Consumer Report that was the lone voice that did not recommend iPhone due it's largely overlooked but very obvious shortcommings, when the entire industry was falling all over Apple.

I'm just sayiing....
    Last edited by EchoTango; 12-17-12 at 11:37 AM.
    12-17-12 08:19 AM
    You're being logical. That will get you labeled as a hater/troll in these here parts.
    I know but meh label me
    Saiga likes this.
    12-17-12 08:20 AM
    CR will typically review new products, BB has non, which is likely the reason for the snub. For the record BB10 will be "Not recommended" at first by CR, because they typically never recommend an all new product first year because they have no reliability data, so by default it will be rated unreliable. If the phone proves to not have issues the next rating cycle the phone can become recommended.....if the reviewers "like" the interface. Considering CR's history of evaluating the useability of electronic interfaces (ie touch systems for vehicle controls), I am willing to bet, they will find BB10 unfriendly, becaue of the overly basic UI of iOS they will undoubtibly comapre it against, which if you where a completely "unbias" reviewer, you do not compare, you evaluate on good/bad.

Anyone still subscribing to CR, is a complete knucklehead, because even thou they try to come across as non-bias, the folks they employee are. Anyone that will take the advice of CR on smartphones is even a bigger knuckle head, because IMO, they are not qualified to evaluate new technology based on their system of scoring to merit credibility.
    convenor likes this.
    12-17-12 08:24 AM
    So why not include that Score with all of the other Scores? They've included Scores for other phones that they previously reviewed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    I have no idea. Ask CR. Though, I doubt they will respond. I stopped subscribing earlier this year. I focused more on cars and appliances anyways. Their tech reviews were sometimes a little too basic, and with the exception of well known issues, usually late to the party.

They did rate the PlayBook as a Best buy - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...eports-750458/

Which is as current as you are going to get. Bias huh?
    12-17-12 09:02 AM
    I have no idea. Ask CR. Though, I doubt they will respond. I stopped subscribing earlier this year. I focused more on cars and appliances anyways. Their tech reviews were sometimes a little too basic, and with the exception of well known issues, usually late to the party.
    Car reviews through CR? Dear Lord, please DO NOT use CR for car reviews, complete joke!
    12-17-12 09:06 AM
    Consumer Reports will not consider possible future enhancements in their reviews: counting chickens is not what they do.

They look at the lay of the land and they judge, based on criteria they think is important.

While I haven't read the article, I wager that if they DID include BB7 devices in the review there would be a lot of half black discs and open circles... where iOS and high-end Android devices would have a lot of solid red discs.

Calling Consumer Reports biased is idiocy. Count your blessings that an impartial (albeit not necessarily forward-thinking or considering the 'big picture') reviewer didn't include BB devices... what I don't need is someone reviewing what amounts to end-of-life devices and further disparaging RIM and BlackBerry in the process.
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    12-17-12 09:15 AM
    People here are like tea party republicans. They believe whatever they want.

Does anyone here remember "tools not toys" where RIM's own marketing campaign implied BB's were for business!?

LOL! Consumer reports writes about what they think interests their readers, since that's their sole source of funding.
    Really? You want to bring politics into the discussion? Because Liberal Democrats are so different from Tea Party Republicans. I do however agree with the second part of your statement. RIM did market towards business and is now branching out.
    12-17-12 09:34 AM
    Car reviews through CR? Dear Lord, please DO NOT use CR for car reviews, complete joke!
    They had a missing piece of the review puzzle. One that I couldn't find on any enthusiast or other review site. I have since found a forum that does the same.
    12-17-12 09:38 AM
    They should have reviewed the current BlackBerry 7 phones.
    Why should they? Have they released a new phone recently? Perhaps they were already reviewed a year ago.
    12-17-12 10:27 AM

They did rate the PlayBook as a Best buy - http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...eports-750458/

Which is as current as you are going to get. Bias huh?
    For the record I never said that they were biased.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    12-17-12 10:38 AM
    Look at it this way, why would they put current OS 7 devices on the list? would anyone here tell someone to go buy a 9810 or even 9900 right now? heck no! with bb10 coming everyone should look forward to the new devices, not a phone that is pretty much dead in the water.
    bp3dots and Saiga like this.
    12-17-12 11:51 AM
    Look at it this way, why would they put current OS 7 devices on the list? would anyone here tell someone to go buy a 9810 or even 9900 right now? heck no! with bb10 coming everyone should look forward to the new devices, not a phone that is pretty much dead in the water.
    I agree, but they should have noted that BB10 is coming soon, and RIM hasn't released any new devices in some time so THAT is why they omitted BlackBerry - not because it is a "business" device.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-17-12 12:25 PM
    i agree about that point
    12-17-12 12:36 PM
    So what I gather, from some of the forum members in this thread, is that the PEOPLE writing for CR couldn't possibly be the slightest bit bias simply because the magazine has no outside influence via sponsorship or advertising. OK. ......

For the record and to be clear, I'm not saying it was a bias article.
    12-17-12 01:46 PM
    Doesn't matter to me, I would explain the benefits of current devices and give a slight mention of those on the way and allow the consumer to decide what is best for them. As an educated buyer I have an eye for the future but I also understand nothing is certain until it is released and the initial bugs have been worked out.

Some people find the physical keyboard, optical track pad and touch screen combination of the 9900/9810 essential to their work others do not. Some users like the shortcuts found with a physical keyboard ("t" to go to top, "b" to bottom, "spacebar" to page, "m" to open messages and too many more to mention) some do not.

To be a valuable, inclusive source and let the consumer decide what works best for them is IMO the best way to go. That is their job IMO.

So to answer your questions YES, I would and have and he appreciated my advice very much. The physical keyboard and trackpad were more important to him than the apps and extra large screen even after I showed him BB10, the SGSIII and iPhone5.9.
    12-17-12 02:47 PM
    I read the review too, at first I was disappointed, but then I realized the article was about the new bigger screen phones (if I remember right 4"+) There are no BlackBerrys with that big of a screen (98xx 3.7")
    12-17-12 03:07 PM
    I'm not sure how many of you read Consumer Reports but if you do the Email that I just sent to them at Contact Us (Consumer Reports Magazine - Letter to the Editor) may interest you.

Hopefully in future issues Consumer Reports will at least review some BlackBerry phones too.
    Don't worry, Consumer Reports is trash.

To the others: Many of you make a fair point in that CR usually reports on new products; however, I would respond that their characterization of BB phones as not worth covering because they're mainly for business is harmful to the company and completely untrue.
    12-17-12 03:19 PM
    Why should they? Have they released a new phone recently? Perhaps they were already reviewed a year ago.
    Because they should be including atleast one item from each of the relevant competition. Third largest in mobile is relevant despite sentiment. On a car comparison they dont leave out the bmw m3 because audi has a new s4 and bmw still has a generation from 4 years ago. It is the same in most tech reviews too, but apparently not his one.
    12-17-12 04:27 PM
    Doesn't matter to me, I would explain the benefits of current devices and give a slight mention of those on the way and allow the consumer to decide what is best for them. As an educated buyer I have an eye for the future but I also understand nothing is certain until it is released and the initial bugs have been worked out.

Some people find the physical keyboard, optical track pad and touch screen combination of the 9900/9810 essential to their work others do not. Some users like the shortcuts found with a physical keyboard ("t" to go to top, "b" to bottom, "spacebar" to page, "m" to open messages and too many more to mention) some do not.
    You have to realize just how old those phones are. Them things came out over a year ago.

The general, non brand specific media doesn't and simply can't work that way. At least not if they want to be successful. Bloggers, Magazines, Tech Websites and PR agency for tech companies all live in the now. They have to live in the now to be relevant. For the most part, you only see them talk what is available for purchase now or the stuff that will become available in the very immediate future. You rarely see them dwell on the golden days from last year. One of the exceptions to that rule in media is on BlackBerry fansites where a big portion of their content is about what's coming months or even a year from now (it seems like CrackBerry has been talking about BB10 for almost 2 years now). Because there currently is no "now" worth mentioning in the BlackBerry world and BlackBerry fansites still have to come up with something to talk about. Honestly, how many times have we seen a BlackBerry blog go nuts over yet another L-Series picture?

Consumer Reports, like pretty much any other form of media that isn't tied to one brand, lives in now. I haven't read the article in question, but I'm willing to bet that they didn't review a single phone that is as old as the 99s or the 9810.
    12-17-12 04:47 PM
    Problem with you people-most times and CR is that you all STILL believe US is the world-it isnt....80 million customers dont go wrong......find out why there is a QWERTY keyboard on BBs
    12-17-12 10:04 PM
    No, but they made the inaccurate blanket statement about BB being only used by "businesses". Further perpetuating the false idea that BB is not for "consumers" - their readers.

I think the OP has got a point.
    It would have been a more accurate letter if the OP had bothered to specifically mention the BlackBerry Curve, for example, as a very popular consumer-oriented BlackBerry smartphone. Consumer Reports is a pop culture publication and tends to chase the trendy products and services regardless of industry. Again when anyone writes a letter or email to an organization please use objective facts and avoid engaging in fanboi behaviour - it makes you look like an ID10T.
    12-17-12 10:10 PM
    Not sure which market you think the CURVE is "very popular" in... it isn't the market that CR is geared towards. CR is gear towards the US market, and there isn't a BB device that is selling well in the US market right now.

Add to the fact that the current BBOS is being replaced by a new OS, no one is going to put their reputation on the line recommending a device that is basically EOL.

In six months if CR does another mobile review, I bet they will include on of the new BB10 devices.
    12-18-12 08:27 AM
    Not sure which market you think the CURVE is "very popular" in... it isn't the market that CR is geared towards. CR is gear towards the US market, and there isn't a BB device that is selling well in the US market right now.

Add to the fact that the current BBOS is being replaced by a new OS, no one is going to put their reputation on the line recommending a device that is basically EOL.

In six months if CR does another mobile review, I bet they will include on of the new BB10 devices.
    Consumer reports themselves say they don't "gear" toward anything. It doesn't matter if a device isn't selling well or if its old. *It is still available* on all carriers, and as a company that calls themselves non bias, an available product from each of the competition available where the magazine is sold should be included. The consumer can make up their mind from there.
    12-18-12 09:29 AM
    Consumer reports themselves say they don't "gear" toward anything. It doesn't matter if a device isn't selling well or if its old. *It is still available* on all carriers, and as a company that calls themselves non bias, an available product from each of the competition available where the magazine is sold should be included. The consumer can make up their mind from there.
    Do you really want a comparison done between the curve and SIII note 2 and iPhone 5?
    12-18-12 09:34 AM
56 123