is it gone for good? i dont have insurance and i have only had it for about 2 months. is it under warranty? what should i tell sprint when i call them?
    10-20-08 08:24 AM
    Oh my your berry hit the water. Let it dry out for a couple of hours and see what happens. If not contact Sprint and tell them you only had your berry for two months and its acting weird. (don't tell them the water incident). I think they will replace it. If they do MAKE SURE YOU GET INSURANCE.
    10-20-08 08:32 AM
    did you get a blow dryer and dry it out... put it in the sun> unfortunately this voids your warranty cuz water damage is not part of the warranty... my friend has his bb and he did the blow dryer as soon as it happens and thank God it worked.... sorry!
    10-20-08 08:34 AM
    There are liquid indicators in 3 places on the phone. It won't be covered by warranty if it has water damage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 08:34 AM
    Sorry I did not know about the liquid indicators. Hopefully it will work after it dry out.
    10-20-08 08:37 AM
    That sucks, babe. The sad part, is those stickers will show water 'damage' if you live in a humid area (I went from Ohio with nice white stickers, to Seattle where after about three weeks...they were red).

Depending on the model, you might be able to find one at a fair price on eBay. Good luck!
    10-20-08 08:46 AM
    i'm glad i'm not the only one that has had the indicators turn red without water damage. There are five BBs in my office that have red tabs, none have been under water and still work... Just live in a humid climate..
    10-20-08 08:55 AM
    The rice trick works better than most other tricks I've seen or tried. My daughter did just the same thing about a week ago. Get a bag of dry uncooked rice, take the battery out and put the whole thing, battery and all into the rice and seal it up at least over night. Make sure your berry is totally covered in rice. It acts like a dessicant and draws the moisture out.
    10-20-08 09:04 AM
    Tarpy. Take your battery out and place your BB in a sealed bag of rice to try and draw all the moisture out. Do not rush putting the battery back in, try and leave it for as long as you can.

Not guaranteed to work , I guess it depends how badly it got soaked.

Good luck.

10-20-08 09:04 AM
    I would also try putting your bberry in with dry rice, the rice will take some of the water out hope it works
    10-20-08 09:27 AM
    Yeah, the water indicators will kill any chance of warranty coverage. I thought there were 2 odf them and now find out there are 3.

10-20-08 09:36 AM
    Wow I like the sound of the rice trick....
    10-20-08 09:39 AM
    No insurance? How come? Just curious... I guess it depends on the carrier. Last year I dropped a phone in a pool, and only had it for a week and a few days. TMobile didn't care one bit and wouldn't replace it. I opted for insurance once I was eligible to add it. Highly recommend it.

10-20-08 09:42 AM
    In addition to getting it dried out before you try anything, pull the battery, SIM card, memory card. Check that those are dry and let the inside of the phone dry out. Even if the BB is ruined, You might be able to save those parts, or vice versa. Opening it will let it dry faster and more completely. Good luck.

10-20-08 09:53 AM
    I've never had insurance for my phones and I go on long fishing trips where water is always close at hand. I've dropped two phones into water and they work fine after drying.

In regards to BB, I dropped my Curve into water three weeks ago and I simply dried it out for about 3 days. It does take that long because the inside screen takes a while to dry up, but once it did it work 100% - zero problems.

DO NOT place your BB in rice. Small particles can get into the device (broken rice, powder, etc). Rice works great for removing moisture, but it's not for electronic devices. It's for salt, food, etc only.
    10-20-08 09:56 AM
    I've never had insurance for my phones and I go on long fishing trips where water is always close at hand. I've dropped two phones into water and they work fine after drying.

In regards to BB, I dropped my Curve into water three weeks ago and I simply dried it out for about 3 days. It does take that long because the inside screen takes a while to dry up, but once it did it work 100% - zero problems.

DO NOT place your BB in rice. Small particles can get into the device (broken rice, powder, etc). Rice works great for removing moisture, but it's not for electronic devices. It's for salt, food, etc only.
    Dry rice is a natural dissicant. It works well and does not leave any residue behind.

Desiccant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rice is a common "low-tech" alternative frequently used, for example, in salt-shakers to maintain granularity of table-salt for effective pouring or shaking. Rice, however, is not a good general purpose desiccant since, unless immersed in an organism-hostile environment like pure salt, over time may be eaten by creatures that might in turn pollute the product that is being preserved. ...
    The reference to long term use does not apply, it will do it's job in a couple of days at most.
    10-20-08 12:09 PM
    thanks for all the respnses. i called sprint and they said 119 bucks shipped to me. so i am going to wait about three days and see what happens. if not i will have a dead berry on ebay. until then im without my berry.........SUCKS!
    10-20-08 12:21 PM
    I used to be a Service and Repair Rep. for Sprint and most times we wouldn't void a warranty because of the moisture indicators. My advice is dry the phone out as much as you can. Best thing would have been to quickly remove the battery from the phone and let it sit for a while and use a blow dryer to dry it. It might work after that. If not, use a friend's battery that doesn't have a messed up moisture indicator and hopefully you won't run into a Sprint "CompanyMan" Repair Rep. that wants to save the company millions of dollars single-handedly when you take it in and it'll be covered under warranty. Don't admit to anything! And make a big scene if all else fails. Store managers always override moisture damage accusations for the "irrate" customers.
    10-20-08 12:27 PM
    sorry to hear that, happened to me as well about 3 weeks ago, what i did is open the phone up and spray it with canned air, it was working fine the next day and I haven't had any problems since.
    10-20-08 01:50 PM
    Just wondering...where are these moisture indicator stickers placed on a pearl...I've had my phone I'm some pretty humid conditions and want to see if mine are still white.

10-20-08 04:01 PM
    My deepest sympathies.

10-20-08 06:03 PM
    Just wondering...where are these moisture indicator stickers placed on a pearl...I've had my phone I'm some pretty humid conditions and want to see if mine are still white.

When I dropped mine in the dog's water bowl, I found a red stripe on the bottom of the battery; didn't really look anywhere else, so can't help with the others.

Dry rice is a natural dissicant. It works well and does not leave any residue behind.

Desiccant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The reference to long term use does not apply, it will do it's job in a couple of days at most.
    By all means use a blow dryer on 'low' to dry the insides and put in rice overnight (at least) or longer; worked for me!
    10-20-08 07:52 PM
    Hmm my sticker has red X's on it and looks a bit pink...is thay what it should look like?

Sorry for temporarily stealing your thread lol

10-20-08 09:05 PM
    Mine has red x and it has pinkish color as well.

10-20-08 10:09 PM
    This sounds absurd, and you are probably too late, but immediately after you drop any electronic device into water, completely submerse it in isopropyl alcohol, and then take the device out. The alcohol is clean and will not rust and decay your circuit boards like water will, not to mention its alcohol to it evaporates almost immediately. After running through this process its probably a good idea to take apart the phone completely to allow for faster evaporation, and you won't have to worry about voiding your warranty because you already dropped it in the water!
    10-21-08 12:22 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD