I slipped and fell and my phone flew out of my hand and landed in a shallow puddle of water and slid across it. It stayed on, but the keypad is working funny now.

Should I try to dry it out with a blowdryer and see if that will help or should I take it back to Alltel? I just got it 2 days ago. Ugh.
    11-17-08 01:36 PM
    Just drying a device is a bad idea, the minerals from the water need to be removed. It needs to be immersed in pure alcohol and scrubbed clean.

I would try to return it. If that doesn't work, soak and scrub.
    11-17-08 01:38 PM
    Either take it back or remove the battery and put it in a bag of rice and leave it there for at least 24 hours and this should draw the moisture out. Some work fine after water damage and others do not...
    11-17-08 01:39 PM
    I'm afraid they're going to make me pay full price for a new phone now. I got the Pearl as an upgrade and contract renewal last week. I wasn't happy with it, so I took it back and got the Curve two days ago.

@*#&@(# THIS STINKS.
    11-17-08 01:40 PM
    Try the rice trick, this is very popular if you get your Berry wet...
    11-17-08 01:41 PM
    Either take it back or remove the battery and put it in a bag of rice and leave it there for at least 24 hours and this should draw the moisture out. Some work fine after water damage and others do not...
    Mine fell into a water puddle on Friday and was found by someone who put it in a bag of rice overnight. It worked fine and she called me on Saturday to tell me she found it. It's working perfectly. (But the battery did fall out and was not in the phone when it fell - it was in 3 pieces - not sure if that makes a difference or not)

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND INSURANCE ON ANY PHONE. The cost of replacement is way more than what you pay monthly for the insurance (and I have had many phones replaced through insurance)
    11-17-08 01:41 PM
    A bag of rice.... like, fully immersed in the rice?
    11-17-08 01:43 PM
    Do the bag thing. It worked with an older phone of mine. Most of the moisture evaporated out of the phone to the bag, or remove the keypad and wipe down all the contacts from the keypad to the device board. If not I'd see if you could take it back.

Got insurance? That might of helped in this case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Did you buy insurance? If none of this works, you may be able to retun it for a new one.
    Don't dry it with a blow dryer. It will get too hot. Try the rice trick.

11-17-08 01:44 PM
    A bag of rice.... like, fully immersed in the rice?
    Yes, that is correct...
    11-17-08 01:44 PM
    Water damage is not covered in your insurance...

Report it lost otherwise your screwed! sorry... no bb should go thru that!!
    11-17-08 01:45 PM
    I'm going to go to Alltel and see if they will let me get a new phone since I've only had it for 2 days. If not, I will try the rice.

Thank you!!!!

I can't even remember if I got insurance. I know I had it on my bill last month, but do you have to renew insurance when you change your phone?
    11-17-08 01:46 PM

I am sorry. But do NOT recommend lie and cheat.

11-17-08 01:48 PM

I guess that depends on your carrier. T-Mobile will cover water damage. Not sure about Alltel.
    11-17-08 01:48 PM
    I'm going to go to Alltel and see if they will let me get a new phone since I've only had it for 2 days. If not, I will try the rice.
    Try the rice first.

11-17-08 01:49 PM
    Boy, this seems to be common lately! There were two posts just yesterday.

Everyone recommends the rice trick and says it works - so try it. Good luck!
    11-17-08 01:50 PM
    I dropped my BB in a cup of water by my bed this morning, around noon rather. I yanked the battery and tapped as much water out as i could. It wasn't completely submerged only about the top half of the screen (it fell in top down). Then I blow dried it for about 3 minutes, alternating between cool and hot, to keep the air warm, but not hot. Drove to school and tried to turn it on. It failed the to boot the first couple times, so i let it dry (battery out and cover off). Just tried to turn it back on and it's come back to full operation.

Note: Both the water damage stickers are bright red. It's working 100% now though.
    11-17-08 02:35 PM
    Rice Bag definitely works and you can also use these little dehydrating bags that you can find in most boxes of new electronic devices
    11-17-08 02:42 PM
    I have had multiple friends simply place a wet phone on top of their TV's. They turn on the TV and let the phone sit there with the tv going all night and in the morning it's completely dry and completely functional. Not sure if static electricity has anything to do with it but that's just what they have done in the past.
    11-17-08 03:52 PM

That sounds like incitement to a criminal fraud. The phone is not lost, it was dropped. It may be matter of debate whether the damage was caused by the drop or the substance in which it landed, but to report lost or stolen in this case would be fraud.
    11-17-08 05:00 PM
    Thank god I had insurance!! I told the truth about what happened and I got a new phone.. Had to pay $50, but that's better than buying a new phone at retail price!!!

11-17-08 05:01 PM
    Oh! And I tried the rice trick... Yeah.. There's a little piece of rice stuck inside my old phone. Hahahaha insurance might wonder about that

11-17-08 05:04 PM
    Congrats on it working out!!

11-17-08 05:29 PM
    Glad to hear it all worked out for you.

11-17-08 05:43 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD