Lol I didn't say you couldn't have any of those things. That was my point. Instead of getting defensive when someone mentions Apple you should read that I was only asking why I would do that with a wire when there are tons of ways to do it wirelessly.

A wire is much easier in a lot of scenarios... For example to use Apple TV, you need a wireless network (so router), u need the apple tv itsself, you need a power outlet for the apple tv and the router, and then ur sitting there monkeying around setting it all up (imagine doing this in a meeting, ur just wasting everyone's time.. or showing up early to set up all ur crap) ... a cable on the other hand requires just that; a cable. No extra hardware, no connecting hardware to wifi networks .. no finding power bars... etc..

Apple TV has its uses (to some) but its no replacement for hdmi out.
    ColdStoneGuards likes this.
    02-17-14 10:03 AM
    I think most if not all androids can, (my Droid from 3 years ago could), apple no, although my kids say that you can get a separate box to go through, doesn't sound ideal.

Also, though I'm not sure how, I keep reading about being able to do other things on the phone when playing movies....seems to me that the hdmi just mirrors the phone screen...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Posted via CB10
    If you have video stored on your device, you can select "Play On" and this will allow the video to play on the TV, and you can use your phone like normal.
    02-17-14 10:09 AM
    A wire is much easier in a lot of scenarios... For example to use Apple TV, you need a wireless network (so router), u need the apple tv itsself, you need a power outlet for the apple tv and the router, and then ur sitting there monkeying around setting it all up (imagine doing this in a meeting, ur just wasting everyone's time.. or showing up early to set up all ur crap) ... a cable on the other hand requires just that; a cable. No extra hardware, no connecting hardware to wifi networks .. no finding power bars... etc..

Apple TV has its uses (to some) but its no replacement for hdmi out.
    To say that when streaming to an apple tv you need an apple tv and a power outlet is and sounds ridiculous.

You didn't mention anything about needing power, or a tv when talking about hdmi out....

i'm no apple fan at all, but don't be so obtuse.
    02-17-14 10:15 AM
    Wanted a 'couch' screen for my Q10, nothing big just a 30 incher with HDMI.
    Went to TV store and asked around. The two sales reps were adamant it was not do-able. No phone can use an ordinary TV!
    I had to show them, didn't I!
    Plugged the Q in and showed off a bit.
    Boy, did they become quiet and just sat there with big eyes.
    Learned something today, they did.
    Live is good sometimes.
    Now, how to explain to the wife..? Just went to get some cigarettes...!

Posted via CB10

Cables!!!!
    02-17-14 10:16 AM
    To say that when streaming to an apple tv you need an apple tv and a power outlet is and sounds ridiculous.

You didn't mention anything about needing power, or a tv when talking about hdmi out....

I made reasonable arguements. Have you ever been in a meeting room where all the power outlets by the display are taken? Might seem 'obtuse' to you, but its a reality for those of us deal with real-life situation such as this.

How is this hard to understand... To present content from a phone with HDMI out you need the following: display with HDMI in, and a cable. Apple tv requires a display with HDMI in, power source, wifi network (router with yet again a power requirement), and then the setup (connecting apple tv to wifi, connecting phone to wifi)..

"You didn't mention anything about needing power, or a tv when talking about hdmi out...."

Ok... The HDMI cable doesnt require a power source. Happy?
    ColdStoneGuards likes this.
    02-17-14 10:31 AM

You need a tv for everything regardless. The power might be reaching too far as its not a big one however hdmi don't really need any power input. Its just a cable
    Also what he means is that you just can't leave your apple tv at home and be able to connect to it somewhere else. You carry it along. Your hdmi cable on the other hand is the size of your charger.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't apple tv need. SMART TV?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 10:33 AM
    Saying the power requirement is a bit of a reach really depends on your situation; if your apple tv sits at home all the time, then ya who cares if it needs power and a wifi network and such, these are all things u set up once and your good to go. The point I was making was that apple tv isnt great (or good at all) for portable use, which is exactly where the simplicity of hdmi shines
    Davidro1 likes this.
    02-17-14 10:38 AM
    I made reasonable arguements. Have you ever been in a meeting room where all the power outlets by the display are taken? Might seem 'obtuse' to you, but its a reality for those of us deal with real-life situation such as this.

How is this hard to understand... To present content from a phone with HDMI out you need the following: display with HDMI in, and a cable. Apple tv requires a display with HDMI in, power source, wifi network (router with yet again a power requirement), and then the setup (connecting apple tv to wifi, connecting phone to wifi)..

"You didn't mention anything about needing power, or a tv when talking about hdmi out...."

Ok... The HDMI cable doesnt require a power source. Happy?
    I wasn't saying it was hard to understand, I was saying your making it seem much more complicated then it needs to be, just like an infomercial can make making pasta seem like the worlds hardest meal to prepare.

I love having HDMI out and using it.. very simple, I just don't think we need to make the apple tv look any worse to say how great and simple HDMI out is.

(And regarding you anecdote about going into a meeting and not having access to a power supply, regardless of what you do, if you're having a meeting that you need to present at, you need to be prepared.. if you have know you need power, have a power strip in your bag.)
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-17-14 10:43 AM
    You two done yet? Keep it on topic, you can argue until the cows come home, you go with what works for you. And if you're adventurous, you're more than welcome to try outside your comfort zone. Don't make me crack the whip.
    All do respects zocster but this is Crackberry. Dedicated to BB users if I recall. I have not set foot in the other ones - ie windows, apple, android or whatever other channels. So my question to you is how do most pro-BB thread starters get de-railed in the first placed? How many BB users / enthusiasts go over to the other channels and "de-rail" them so-to-speak? It would be one thing if BB had 25% of the market then I would understand the so-called "reason" to come over here and go through the same old crap. But with BB at less than 1% of the market it really amazes me why they even bother other than to feel better. Just saying.....
    02-17-14 10:45 AM
    You need a tv for everything regardless. The power might be reaching too far as its not a big one however hdmi don't really need any power input. Its just a cable
    Also what he means is that you just can't leave your apple tv at home and be able to connect to it somewhere else. You carry it along. Your hdmi cable on the other hand is the size of your charger.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't apple tv need. SMART TV?

Posted via CB10
    No, apple TV doesn't need a smart TV, but it does need a power source, an hdmi cable, and an available WiFi network (at least the newer/black aTVs do. I have the older/first gen/white aTV, which had a hard drive included--unfortunately, this model does NOT stream Netflix nor is it capable of Airplay, other than music--this was frustrating for me, as with my LCD TV and first gen apple TV, and smart bluray player, I could not stream/watch a movie from my ipad on my TV. However, I was able to stream from my BB10 via DLNA to my bluray player my videos and also via direct connection to my TV/receiver via HDMI cable. I know there is some proprietary lightning to hdmi adapter, perhaps, but this is not something I had in my house).
    Because the apple TV would necessitate taking the aTV, a power adaptor and cable, and hdmi cable, I believe the original argument for the BB10 was that the only hardware necessary would be an HDMI cable (assuming there is no DLNA available).
    02-17-14 10:46 AM
    And yet another positive thread gone to hell.....
    keepthetorch and EmaliMcrtny like this.
    02-17-14 10:50 AM
    I wasn't saying it was hard to understand, I was saying your making it seem much more complicated then it needs to be, just like an infomercial can make making pasta seem like the worlds hardest meal to prepare.

I love having HDMI out and using it.. very simple, I just don't think we need to make the apple tv look any worse to say how great and simple HDMI out is.

(And regarding you anecdote about going into a meeting and not having access to a power supply, regardless of what you do, if you're having a meeting that you need to present at, you need to be prepared.. if you have know you need power, have a power strip in your bag.)
    Im sorry that you feel im making the Apple TV look bad... Im just being factual.

Yes you are right, you need to be prepard for meetings. For those with a phone w/ HDMI out, that involves having the phone, and an hdmi cable.. and ensuring the display in the room had HDMI in.

For those using Apple tv in a meeting (does anyone do this?!) being prepared involves ensuring the display in the room has HDMI in, bringing the Apple TV unit, ensuring you have a place to plug Apple TV into power, ensuring wifi is avail in the room, and ensuring that the network allows peer-to-peer communications, OR bringing ur own router, and ensuring u have a place to plug this in as well, and then giving yourself time to connect the phone and apple tv to wifi. Not impossible, but what sounds easier to you?
    02-17-14 11:00 AM
    Where/how are you streaming the olympics? Which site/app?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 11:05 AM
    You would need a smart tv to connect to most phones, but to connect to any (dumb) tv you most often would need a cable. I had the note 2, I never found anything it could connect to straight away, of course not even my Note 10.1. (which I think is bad form!)
    HDMI doesn't just mirror the phone, else my square Q10 screen would just be, well, square up there. Play-on function allows it to go full screen and presentations are blown up full screen as well and f.ex. allows you to take or read notes on the phone when you do a presentation.

Posted via CB10
    You need a "smart tv" to connect wirelessly. To connect a GN2 (or GN1 or any Galaxy phone that I am aware of) you simply need a cable, just like your BlackBerry. The only difference is the Galaxy phones use an MHL cable that actually allows you to charge the phone while you are doing playback - thus extending the life of your phone if you have an extended presentation.

Proof attached for the doubtful:

02-17-14 11:37 AM
    Yes you are right, you need to be prepard for meetings. For those with a phone w/ HDMI out, that involves having the phone, and an hdmi cable.. and ensuring the display in the room had HDMI in.
    If you are doing a meeting then you need to be prepared for any eventuality and that means a charger for your phone and the means to adapt to an outlet shortage.
    02-17-14 12:14 PM
    I have "helped" sales people in phone stores on a couple of occasions where they had a customer asking about the BB10 experience and they had no idea so i stepped in.
    As for the HDMI, I'm using it more now that Netflix is on my phone and I can plug it into the hotel TVs when i travel.
    02-17-14 12:18 PM
    I got 12 Gig data plan on my phone. Rogers rep called one day and asked how can I make your plan better? I'm like hmm i dunno its pretty amazing already...but more data? Hes like ok how about i double your data for 1 dollar extra per month.

I was like sure.

apparently they have these ppl who just call and super upgrade their best customers just cuz to keep them happy. in love with Rogers!
    02-17-14 12:49 PM
    Im sorry that you feel im making the Apple TV look bad... Im just being factual
    I didn't say bad, I said complicated. Clearly you can't bother to read my post thoroughly so i'm done with you.
    02-17-14 12:54 PM
    I didn't say bad, I said complicated. Clearly you can't bother to read my post thoroughly so i'm done with you.
    I don't know how this turned into a discussion about Apple TV, but regardless, it's far from complicated. Plug it in, turn it on, set your phone beside it, done.
    02-17-14 12:57 PM
    Im sorry that you feel im making the Apple TV look bad... Im just being factual.

For those using Apple tv in a meeting (does anyone do this?!) being prepared involves ensuring the display in the room has HDMI in, bringing the Apple TV unit, ensuring you have a place to plug Apple TV into power, ensuring wifi is avail in the room, and ensuring that the network allows peer-to-peer communications, OR bringing ur own router, and ensuring u have a place to plug this in as well, and then giving yourself time to connect the phone and apple tv to wifi. Not impossible, but what sounds easier to you?
    If the topic was HDMI w/ a BB going to meetings was the topic then yes I'd agree with you. That wasn't what anyone was talking about. Somehow you interpreted that someone was taking their Apple TV to a meeting which was never even mentioned and I agree isn't practical.
    02-17-14 12:57 PM
    I don't know how this turned into a discussion about Apple TV, but regardless, it's far from complicated. Plug it in, turn it on, set your phone beside it, done.
    My college group Sunday school teacher would disagree with this lol. Anyways let's close the discussion. I don't think it's arguable tho that hdmi is just simpler to use

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 01:07 PM
    My college group Sunday school teacher would disagree with this lol. Anyways let's close the discussion. I don't think it's arguable tho that hdmi is just simpler to use

Posted via CB10
    What part did he have trouble with? Plugging it in, turning it on, or sitting a phone beside it? Lol

Technology isn't for everyone I guess.
    02-17-14 01:11 PM
    Haha good work bro

Did you connect it via WiFi Direct or HDMI?
    02-17-14 01:18 PM
    Correct.
    02-17-14 01:40 PM
    What part did he have trouble with? Plugging it in, turning it on, or sitting a phone beside it? Lol

Technology isn't for everyone I guess.
    The part where he had to actually mess with the router....not even sure if you are trying to debate that apple tv is as easy as plugging in a cable on 2 ends...

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 01:42 PM
118 ... 2345