Wanted a 'couch' screen for my Q10, nothing big just a 30 incher with HDMI.
    Went to TV store and asked around. The two sales reps were adamant it was not do-able. No phone can use an ordinary TV!
    I had to show them, didn't I!
    Plugged the Q in and showed off a bit.
    Boy, did they become quiet and just sat there with big eyes.
    Learned something today, they did.
    Live is good sometimes.
    Now, how to explain to the wife..? Just went to get some cigarettes...!

Posted via CB10
    LOL shouldn't be to bad explaining since you went for the 30 and not the 50 :-)

Posted Via CB10 Using my Great Z30, PB or Q10
    02-16-14 07:10 PM
    It doesn't have to be a tv; it could be a monitor or projector for a business presentation. Now you're talking about throwing it up on the wall from the cell phone in your pocket instead of dragging around a laptop.

I would guess that most people have no use for 90% of the gimmicky crap the top end Androids have, but everybody raves about it anyway. The point is that BB has a feature other phones don't that some people could make use of, but once again nobody knows about it.
    That's a good point. God forbid I ask the question about its practical use without being accused of not worshipping everything BB does and being a hater.
    02-16-14 07:20 PM
    I use my Z10 to play F-18 Carrier Landing on my 60" flat screen tv using my HDMI cable.
    02-16-14 07:40 PM
    Relax folks. Y'all can discuss features, without taking everything as an attack. I know you can!
    02-16-14 07:43 PM
    HDMI cable to my TV and a bluetooth mouse as remote control and life is perfect
    02-16-14 08:17 PM
    Seriously? No other phone can connect to a TV?
    I've been doing this for over a year with my Nexus 4, and many Android phones can do so as well. My N4 uses a SlimPort adapter to stream HDMI out of the USB port, and the adapter allows the phone to be charging/powered as it is playing.
    randall2580 likes this.
    02-16-14 09:14 PM
    I still can't find a practical reason to use HDMI on the phone. There are a billion different options for watching movies and I don't like having a cable strung across the room to do something that a million other services offer with no wire. What am I missing here? I don't mean this is a negative way, but what is the reason for hooking your phone with a cable to a tv?
    Miracast? Don't really know how this work but is it not HDMI without the Cable. Z10 does not have it but the Z30 does.
    02-16-14 09:50 PM
    Hehehe nice one!
    02-16-14 10:13 PM
    I play tennis and other games, watch videos, browse net, by connecting my z10 to my 23inch computer monitor. Its cool. Try playing games from Artifax mundi in your big screen, its awesome.

I still can't find a practical reason to use HDMI on the phone. There are a billion different options for watching movies and I don't like having a cable strung across the room to do something that a million other services offer with no wire. What am I
    missing here? I don't mean this is a negative way, but what is the reason for hooking your phone with a cable to a tv?
    02-17-14 03:16 AM
    thats exactly what i do, my pb fell from my 8th floor apartment, and screen is damaged, been looking for a way to repair screen since, so now its connected to my tv permanently and on wifi , i just transfer movies to it and use my Q10 as d remote from anywhere to watch movies or stream from broswer!!!! perfecto!!!

When you use a PlayBook, bridge it to your BlackBerry phone which is the remote. PB is always connected to the TV.......now that is Smart TV.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 04:56 AM
    I think most if not all androids can, (my Droid from 3 years ago could), apple no, although my kids say that you can get a separate box to go through, doesn't sound ideal.

Also, though I'm not sure how, I keep reading about being able to do other things on the phone when playing movies....seems to me that the hdmi just mirrors the phone screen...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Posted via CB10
    You would need a smart tv to connect to most phones, but to connect to any (dumb) tv you most often would need a cable. I had the note 2, I never found anything it could connect to straight away, of course not even my Note 10.1. (which I think is bad form!)
    HDMI doesn't just mirror the phone, else my square Q10 screen would just be, well, square up there. Play-on function allows it to go full screen and presentations are blown up full screen as well and f.ex. allows you to take or read notes on the phone when you do a presentation.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 05:54 AM
    Lol I didn't say you couldn't have any of those things. That was my point. Instead of getting defensive when someone mentions Apple you should read that I was only asking why I would do that with a wire when there are tons of ways to do it wirelessly.
    How about we call it a draw? To each his own, eh?
    02-17-14 05:59 AM
    That's great, but I'd rather have an Apple TV or Roku or the many other options when it comes to getting rid of cable, which is going to give me waaaaaay more content and options than attaching a cable to my z30.
    And you'll carry your Apple TV or Roku with you in your pocket too?
    02-17-14 06:13 AM
    And you'll carry your Apple TV or Roku with you in your pocket too?
    No, and I don't carry an hdmi cable in my pocket either.
    02-17-14 06:14 AM
    No, and I don't carry an hdmi cable in my pocket either.
    LoL a 1 meter cable is a lot easier to carry. No?
    02-17-14 06:26 AM
    I still can't find a practical reason to use HDMI on the phone. There are a billion different options for watching movies and I don't like having a cable strung across the room to do something that a million other services offer with no wire. What am I missing here? I don't mean this is a negative way, but what is the reason for hooking your phone with a cable to a tv?
    You don't need a router... and at least, cable is smaller if you coil it. Why you ask if it doesn't make sense to your smart mind?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 06:43 AM
    Not trying to pick a fight or anything, just genuinely wondering, cant you do the same thing with an Apple TV? I mean, I never really browse or buy anything on it, but I have tons of movies on my MacBook Air (which I think is a more practical device to store and watch movies from) and using AirPlay I play loads of movies and music this way. For me, it seems a lot more convenient than using a cable. Of course, it's harder if you're travelling, but then I usually travel with family or friends and we try not to use devices and spend time together so for home usage, isn't the Apple TV better than HDMI?

Posted via CB10
    Warren Garrett likes this.
    02-17-14 07:07 AM
    Not trying to pick a fight or anything, just genuinely wondering, cant you do the same thing with an Apple TV? I mean, I never really browse or buy anything on it, but I have tons of movies on my MacBook Air (which I think is a more practical device to store and watch movies from) and using AirPlay I play loads of movies and music this way. For me, it seems a lot more convenient than using a cable. Of course, it's harder if you're travelling, but then I usually travel with family or friends and we try not to use devices and spend time together so for home usage, isn't the Apple TV better than HDMI?

Posted via CB10
    I'll avoid suggesting you read the thread and say:

Apple TV doesn't help you connect to a projector for a business presentation.
    Apple TV is impractical when you're in three hotels a week and you're looking for entertainment at the end of a long day
    Apple TV is not the best solution in a hotel where they charge you per wifi connection
    Most hotels have dumb TVs, so to use Apple TV you'd need an hdmi cable anyway.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 07:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes it is, and that's what I was talking about. If you spend all your time in hotels then no it's not the best option but I don't think the majority if people do. And if you are constantly going to friends houses and want to show them photos or hook your phone to their tv then yes, using a bb with an hdmi cable would be great. I for one dont do that and except maybe for a special occasion I might do something like that to show a video to some friends. If My family goes to a friends house the last thing we do is stare at the tv, but apparently it's the norm to walk around with an hdmi cable and go house to house hooking up your phone to friends TV'S. For home use to me something like an Apple TV or Roku or Chromecast makes the most sense but that's just my opinion. Remember though this is crackberry, and no matter what you do if it doesn't have BB's name on it then it's the wrong or least ideal way of doing something. You are also a hater since you use Apple TV so get off crackberry and go to imore and gush over their products there.
    02-17-14 07:47 AM
    I've been doing this for over a year with my Nexus 4, and many Android phones can do so as well. My N4 uses a SlimPort adapter to stream HDMI out of the USB port, and the adapter allows the phone to be charging/powered as it is playing.
    Yup, just like the iPhone/iPad can stream HDMI through the lightning port. Phones and tablets have been doing this for years, some folks are just ignorant to the capabilities of modern mobiles.
    randall2580 likes this.
    02-17-14 08:01 AM
    80% of those guys who work in tech shops dont have any idea about those tech they are selling

Last time I was talking to guy in mobile shop and I told them tthat I can run android apps in my BlackBerry q10 and he said ohh at last they SYNCED and he was very serious

Now what he meant by that I dont know so I just nod my head

Posted via CB10
    I had one guy tell me with a straight face that there r no 7" tablets with HDMI ports. When I said the Playbook does, he just looked confused.

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    02-17-14 08:26 AM
    Come to think of it, I don't even bring my iPad with me when I travel anymore. Guess I should sell it before it becomes obsolete.
    Yeah I'm in hotel rooms all the time. I have a tablet if I want to watch netflix or rent a movie or watch amazon prime or whatever else I want to do.
    So you have to carry and charge an extra device in order to be able to output content to a smaller screen? Smart! You're hired!

HDMI cable is about ten bucks at Radio Shack - considerably cheaper than a tablet.
    ColdStoneGuards likes this.
    02-17-14 08:55 AM
    If people are demo'd the BB10 phones properly they will fall in love! This is a sour point for BB. They dropped the ball on large in this aspect! Poor execution in demoing their phones!
    02-17-14 09:08 AM
    Yes it is, and that's what I was talking about. If you spend all your time in hotels then no it's not the best option but I don't think the majority if people do. And if you are constantly going to friends houses and want to show them photos or hook your phone to their tv then yes, using a bb with an hdmi cable would be great. I for one dont do that and except maybe for a special occasion I might do something like that to show a video to some friends. If My family goes to a friends house the last thing we do is stare at the tv, but apparently it's the norm to walk around with an hdmi cable and go house to house hooking up your phone to friends TV'S. For home use to me something like an Apple TV or Roku or Chromecast makes the most sense but that's just my opinion. Remember though this is crackberry, and no matter what you do if it doesn't have BB's name on it then it's the wrong or least ideal way of doing something. You are also a hater since you use Apple TV so get off crackberry and go to imore and gush over their products there.
    It's funny because android phones had hdmi as well. Idk the point of your hatred on crackberrian. Your favorite thing ever has been exposed as being expensive for less functionality.

Your point about apple tv providing more entertainment cracked me up...it's like no one else could access hulu or Netflix unless they get apple tv. Oh and with a normal lcd tv that's not Smart, idk what you'd do. And I'm sure you've never been in a place with poor wifi before.

You've been caged within the walls of fruity

Posted via CB10
    ColdStoneGuards likes this.
    02-17-14 09:31 AM
    It's funny because android phones had hdmi as well. Idk the point of your hatred on crackberrian. Your favorite thing ever has been exposed as being expensive for less functionality.

Your point about apple tv providing more entertainment cracked me up...it's like no one else could access hulu or Netflix unless they get apple tv. Oh and with a normal lcd tv that's not Smart, idk what you'd do. And I'm sure you've never been in a place with poor wifi before.

You've been caged within the walls of fruity

Posted via CB10
    Lololol ok.
    02-17-14 10:02 AM
118 12345