Wanted a 'couch' screen for my Q10, nothing big just a 30 incher with HDMI.
    Went to TV store and asked around. The two sales reps were adamant it was not do-able. No phone can use an ordinary TV!
    I had to show them, didn't I!
    Plugged the Q in and showed off a bit.
    Boy, did they become quiet and just sat there with big eyes.
    Learned something today, they did.
    Live is good sometimes.
    Now, how to explain to the wife..? Just went to get some cigarettes...!

Posted via CB10
    afl777, kbz1960, redsaph and 45 others like this.
    02-16-14 07:18 AM
    LMAO! Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-16-14 07:20 AM
    That's awesome! I wonder how that would work with the new portable monitors, I think by asus. Tho I think they're USB powered, so maybe need a power cube for them (or maybe z30)...pretty sure they're hdmi as well tho.

Posted from my Z10 via CB10
    02-16-14 07:39 AM
    That is wonderful. There are so many real world practical applications that this phone is capable of, which I really appreciate. My husband used to make fun of me because of my BlackBerrys. Now, he has noticed how well it integrates with our Marantz receiver thru DLNA, plays videos thru hdmi with our smart TV, streams music thru DLNA with our smart TV and best of all is the NFC and smart tag combo in my car. BlackBerry maps has also trumped his Google maps a couple of times now. He is an Android user. Action is the best education IMO.

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    Ernest101, gebco, rarsen and 13 others like this.
    02-16-14 08:21 AM
    Thinking of the thread where some want to 'advertise' on social media, it seems to me that a huge gap of knowledge is with network shops.....and I'm thinking that those on here who are 'tech savvy' might do well to pop into their local phone shops when they are in town, ask something technical....like the OP.....then show the shops how it is done with a BB10...
    wincyUt and bungaboy like this.
    02-16-14 08:42 AM
    80% of those guys who work in tech shops dont have any idea about those tech they are selling

Last time I was talking to guy in mobile shop and I told them tthat I can run android apps in my BlackBerry q10 and he said ohh at last they SYNCED and he was very serious

Now what he meant by that I dont know so I just nod my head

Posted via CB10
    southlander and spiculated like this.
    02-16-14 08:46 AM
    Seriously? No other phone can connect to a TV? I thought all current phones could do it, either via a cable or wirelessly. Guess I've been spoiled with BlackBerrys...

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 09:02 AM
    I still can't find a practical reason to use HDMI on the phone. There are a billion different options for watching movies and I don't like having a cable strung across the room to do something that a million other services offer with no wire. What am I missing here? I don't mean this is a negative way, but what is the reason for hooking your phone with a cable to a tv?
    anon(4216152) and cwalt2166 like this.
    02-16-14 09:04 AM
    I still can't find a practical reason to use HDMI on the phone. There are a billion different options for watching movies and I don't like having a cable strung across the room to do something that a million other services offer with no wire. What am I missing here? I don't mean this is a negative way, but what is the reason for hooking your phone with a cable to a tv?

Well in two hours I'm using my Z30 to stream the Canada vs Finland game at a buddies house. He doesn't have cable. Cheap ***** lol

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 09:09 AM
    Well in two hours I'm using my Z30 to stream the Canada vs Finland game at a buddies house. He doesn't have cable. Cheap ***** lol

Posted via CB10
    Ok, now that makes sense. Thank you.
    wincyUt, bb624 and jakie55 like this.
    02-16-14 09:10 AM
    I've watched movies from my phone connected to a TV with an HDMI cable. I placed the phone next to the TV, set up the movie, tapped play and sat down on the couch across the room. I didn't touch the phone until the movie was over. No cables across the room, just a 1 meter HDMI that is always plugged into the TV. I watch movies on my PlayBook the same way.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 09:19 AM
    I've watched movies from my phone connected to a TV with an HDMI cable. I placed the phone next to the TV, set up the movie, tapped play and sat down on the couch across the room. I didn't touch the phone until the movie was over. No cables across the room, just a 1 meter HDMI that is always plugged into the TV. I watch movies on my PlayBook the same way.

Posted via CB10
    No I get that you can do that, I guess it's more practical if you aren't using something like Apple TV. What I like about using airplay is that you can stream whatever you want to watch and still continue to use the phone or ipad or computer normally and without any wires.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-16-14 09:21 AM
    A few weeks ago we went my mother-in-law's with a few other in-laws. I hooked up my Z10 to her new dumb TV with my HDMI cable and played a PowerPoint slideshow I had made of photos summarizing family events over the course of 2013. Fun reminiscing was had by all.

They all had iPhones and wished that they could do the same thing. Also, I could have shared the slideshow with them right there if they had had NFC, but they didn't so I couldn't.

The other day I showed my mother-in-law photos of our trip to Niagara Falls (she's never been there). She was thrilled. But she was even more excited to have my other in-laws over again to see it and show off her new TV again (she's over ninety). LOL!
    PantherBlitz, KemKev and bungaboy like this.
    02-16-14 09:29 AM
    I use cable HDMI a lot. Streaming vids at home and presentations at work. I hook my BlackBerry up with a bluetooth mouse and leave the phone next to the TV. I just like the cable, no hassle, it always works and any TV becomes my screen.
    And if you add a keyboard, well need I say more..?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 09:43 AM
    Love the hdmi out! I tried miracast the other day and found there's a bit of lag. Nothing like a good old fashioned cable

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 12:09 PM
    Ever been in a hotel room?
    Load a couple of shows or use Netflix to the TV in the room.
    02-16-14 12:26 PM
    Ok, now that makes sense. Thank you.
    Here is a discussion we had with friends at dinner last night. Their cable package bill is $240.00 per month. Ours is $200.00. Now who calls the house phone? Telemarketing....so we pay to be annoyed. Then as far as cable TV goes, if you are willing to do your homework, and you are willing to give up live, you could easily do without cable. So who should consider such action, well students and low income families for starters.....and then a lot of others who want to save a few bucks. Netflix is what 9 bucks. Just need then the Internet, playbook or BB10 phone with HDMI

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt, bb624, ghundiraj and 3 others like this.
    02-16-14 12:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    How much data would that use up ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-16-14 12:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    When you use a PlayBook, bridge it to your BlackBerry phone which is the remote. PB is always connected to the TV.......now that is Smart TV.

Posted via CB10
    bb624 and ots1960 like this.
    02-16-14 12:41 PM
    Here is a discussion we had with friends at dinner last night. Their cable package bilk is $240.00 per month. Ours is $200.00. Now who calls the house phone? Telemarketing....so we pay to be annoyed. Then as far as cable TV goes, if you are willing to do your homework, and you are willing to give up live, you could easily do without cable. So who should consider such action, well students and low income families for starters.....and then a lot of others who want to save a few bucks. Netflix is what 9 bucks. Just need then the Internet, playbook or BB10 phone with HDMI

Posted via CB10
    That's great, but I'd rather have an Apple TV or Roku or the many other options when it comes to getting rid of cable, which is going to give me waaaaaay more content and options than attaching a cable to my z30.
    pantlesspenguin and jakie55 like this.
    02-16-14 12:44 PM
    Ever been in a hotel room?
    Load a couple of shows or use Netflix to the TV in the room.
    Yeah I'm in hotel rooms all the time. I have a tablet if I want to watch netflix or rent a movie or watch amazon prime or whatever else I want to do.
    02-16-14 12:45 PM
    Nothing beats a live demo. I bought a friend a Q5 and gave him a live demo. Whe. He saw the time-shift camera he started to freak out. He was like, "wow, that's amazing". Overall he was very impressed with the features of the device and how the hub was always a gesture away. He was also really blown away by the ability to read and reply to messages from within any app.

Response crafted in seconds on a Z30
    ThunderShock2005 and rarsen like this.
    02-16-14 12:52 PM
    Seriously? No other phone can connect to a TV? I thought all current phones could do it, either via a cable or wirelessly. Guess I've been spoiled with BlackBerrys...

Posted via CB10
    I think most if not all androids can, (my Droid from 3 years ago could), apple no, although my kids say that you can get a separate box to go through, doesn't sound ideal.

Also, though I'm not sure how, I keep reading about being able to do other things on the phone when playing movies....seems to me that the hdmi just mirrors the phone screen...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 12:55 PM
    Wanted a 'couch' screen for my Q10, nothing big just a 30 incher with HDMI.
    Went to TV store and asked around. The two sales reps were adamant it was not do-able. No phone can use an ordinary TV!
    I had to show them, didn't I!
    Plugged the Q in and showed off a bit.
    Boy, did they become quiet and just sat there with big eyes.
    Learned something today, they did.
    Live is good sometimes.
    Now, how to explain to the wife..? Just went to get some cigarettes...!

Posted via CB10
    Sweet, it is just that easy. It is stuff like this that is creating a bit of buzz around BB10. Keep it rolling.
    02-16-14 01:01 PM
    That's great, but I'd rather have an Apple TV or Roku or the many other options when it comes to getting rid of cable, which is going to give me waaaaaay more content and options than attaching a cable to my z30.
    What, Apple TV is still around. I thought this thing was heading for the dust bin of history.
    Karan Mohal and rarsen like this.
    02-16-14 01:03 PM
118 123 ...