iPhone, Blackberry and Gmail users are all "screwed" privacy-wise, says Julian Assange [VIDEO]

so much for security...his claims are not verified but im almost certain if some one important with lots of money wanted data about others they will be able to get it in this day and age...

the US in general is becoming more of a police state..so much for it wanting to introduce democracy in other countries..it seems like it is borrowing some 'emegency law' concept from some tyrants in ME and elsewhere...
    12-02-11 11:49 AM
    yes, im totally beliving, i mean the ammount of evidence theyve provided to back up their stament who wouldnt be

/sarcasm

show me proof, then a decent arguement can be held, but without showing proof, i say they are simply trying advertise their own new service (ya, imagine that lol, an agenda).
    12-02-11 11:58 AM
    google is probably one of the biggest companies guilty of that.

they have their foot in everything. they have the ability to go through my emails and check everything i have google searched.

however, i still use their services. lol.
    12-02-11 12:33 PM
    ill believe it when i see it. About BLackberry's, I mean.
    12-02-11 05:19 PM
    I just think it's cool that he raises his hand for both Iphone and BB. He obviously enjoys the entertainment value the iphone provides, but when it comes to crunch time, needs a BB to communicate.
    12-02-11 05:43 PM
    I just think it's cool that he raises his hand for both Iphone and BB. He obviously enjoys the entertainment value the iphone provides, but when it comes to crunch time, needs a BB to communicate.
    If your privacy is compromised, what's the flipping difference which phone you have. Are you that jaded, that you would be happy if BB gave out 8 numbers of your social security, and iPhone gave out all 9 numbers? Would that be a "win", for BB? God save us from twits.
    Accidental Post likes this.
    12-02-11 06:43 PM
    Julian Assange is the Michael Moore of internet propaganda. He thrives on notoriety and infamy moreso than anything else.
    tack, OMGitworks, 1812dave and 1 others like this.
    12-02-11 07:17 PM
    I would agree what he's saying about Android,at least. Android CURRENTLY is the most unsecure OS. Here is the main reason:

Almost ALL android apps can be decompiled and their source code stolen
    -The decompiled apps can be repackaged with viruses/spyware and sent out into the 'wild'

That basically means that a popular application can be repackaged with a virus. Since, there is so much piracy on Android I would expect that repackaged popular app to spread very quickly. There have already been reports from McAfee that this is happening.

No one can say I'm incorrect because I investigated this myself.
    Last edited by EveryApp Mobile; 12-03-11 at 01:46 PM.
    12-03-11 01:38 PM
    I have nothing to hide, carrier IQ won't be on my device without my knowledge, I won't allow it to be. I'll remove it if the darn prompt ever wanted to download it.

So read on, big brother/sister/poppa/momma/grandma/grandpa.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    12-03-11 02:12 PM
    damn cant play vid at work but i can just image how nutso this person is.
    12-03-11 05:12 PM
    lol @ people not believing stuff like this. you have no privacy anymore sorry. facebook much? the CIA and NSA both have open access to all of your information then. they were the first investors in the company to begin with. [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIGdWsxHJlM[/YT] carrier IQ is just another tool in the arsenal against your sovereignty.
    12-04-11 04:33 AM
    lol @ people not believing stuff like this. you have no privacy anymore sorry. facebook much? the CIA and NSA both have open access to all of your information then. they were the first investors in the company to begin with. carrier IQ is just another tool in the arsenal against your sovereignty.
    Correct. I wouldn't post anything criminal or say anything that would spark an investigation anyways. Someone is always watching over us.
    12-04-11 05:22 AM
    I would agree what he's saying about Android,at least. Android CURRENTLY is the most unsecure OS. Here is the main reason:

-The decompiled apps can be repackaged with viruses/spyware and sent out into the 'wild'

That basically means that a popular application can be repackaged with a virus. Since, there is so much piracy on Android I would expect that repackaged popular app to spread very quickly.
    I'd say that if the piracy that exists is usually only found on certain forums..and I can guarantee you that any links to "pirated" apps are quickly shut down. The general mainstream populace isn't on XDA forums looking for pirated apps. Perhaps there are some underground sites available..but again..general mainstream isn't visiting them.

There have already been reports from McAfee that this is happening.
    ZOMG!! You mean to tell me that an Antivirus maker is telling me that they've found viruses? Wow..I'd better run and buy their software to protects me!!

No one can say I'm incorrect because I investigated this myself.
    Well no one can tell me that the sky isn't purple..because i've seen it with my own eyes..

By the by..i'm not disputing that Android isn't the least secure platform..i'm merely scoffing at all the paranoia running around right now.
    12-04-11 09:10 AM
    carrier IQ is just another tool in the arsenal against your sovereignty.
    Nations have sovereignty, people do not. The concept of individual privacy was created to make people feel secure, but in no time in history has it functionally existed. The concept of privacy is a fallacy and the sooner people recognize that the better everyone will be.
    stealthbob likes this.
    12-04-11 10:52 AM
    I'd say that if the piracy that exists is usually only found on certain forums..and I can guarantee you that any links to "pirated" apps are quickly shut down. The general mainstream populace isn't on XDA forums looking for pirated apps. Perhaps there are some underground sites available..but again..general mainstream isn't visiting them.

ZOMG!! You mean to tell me that an Antivirus maker is telling me that they've found viruses? Wow..I'd better run and buy their software to protects me!!

Well no one can tell me that the sky isn't purple..because i've seen it with my own eyes..

By the by..i'm not disputing that Android isn't the least secure platform..i'm merely scoffing at all the paranoia running around right now.
    There should be paranoia developing for the Android Platform. Example:

You work 3 years on an application for Android and post it for sale on Android Market Place. Someone downloads your application and steals your source code. They make a similar application in 30 minutes with the source code you worked 3 years on . Where is the 'purple sky' here?

Spyware and viruses: Here is a small portion of them - http://code.google.com/p/androguard/...ndroidMalwares
    Last edited by EveryApp Mobile; 12-04-11 at 10:57 AM.
    12-04-11 10:55 AM
    You work 3 years on an application for Android and post it for sale on Android Market Place. Someone downloads your application and steals your source code. They make a similar application in 30 minutes with the source code you worked 3 years on . Where is the 'purple sky' here?
    Basic mistake, you should have released only the compiled/executable code. If you make the source code available you deserve what you get. If you don't include some form of crypto license keying you deserve what you get.
    12-05-11 09:34 AM
    Where did you come up with this? Or at least come to the conclusion it's specific to Android?

You can decompile/reverse engineer any app regardless of platform. And unless you're a better than competent developer/coder, the resulting source code will be very difficult to comprehend.

There are methods in place to prevent or inhibit it from happening, and only the laziest of developers don't take those steps.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 12-05-11 at 10:54 AM.
    12-05-11 10:30 AM
    JA is a self-important *****. Next
    12-05-11 04:47 PM
    JA is a self-important *****. Next
    In deference to forum rules and his upcoming rape trial I have obscured your genital reference. You may very well be right, but this is not the place to say it.
    12-05-11 07:48 PM
    Whatever takes the focus off his rape cases, right???
    12-06-11 04:14 PM
    Basic mistake, you should have released only the compiled/executable code. If you make the source code available you deserve what you get. If you don't include some form of crypto license keying you deserve what you get.
    You don't seem to quite understand. Any android "compiled/executable" can be decompiled to reveal all the inner workings and source code. FULLY CLEARLY READABLE JAVA CODE. Also, the android licensing license has been fully cracked as well with automated tools to remove it.

Where did you come up with this? Or at least come to the conclusion it's specific to Android?

You can decompile/reverse engineer any app regardless of platform. And unless you're a better than competent developer/coder, the resulting source code will be very difficult to comprehend.

There are methods in place to prevent or inhibit it from happening, and only the laziest of developers don't take those steps.
    It's very clearly specific to android because the decompilers for android produce FULL CLEARLY READABLE java code.
    12-06-11 09:33 PM
    You don't seem to quite understand. Any android "compiled/executable" can be decompiled to reveal all the inner workings and source code. FULLY CLEARLY READABLE JAVA CODE. Also, the android licensing license has been fully cracked as well with automated tools to remove it.

It's very clearly specific to android because the decompilers for android produce FULL CLEARLY READABLE java code.
    That's not specific to Android (or Java for that matter). Any app that is java based regardless of platform (which Dalvik is clearly based from, the implementation is different) can be reverse engineered into clearly readable Java code. That code however will be very generic though, and somewhat obfuscated in appearance. Class names etc will all be generic, non descriptive, and not readily apparent.

The same can be done with C/C++ decompilers, disassemblers, or any other programming language. It doesn't matter what platform it's designed for.

It's the single reason there is a lot of research and development to create tools for developers to make their projects more difficult to reverse engineer. Developers that don't take steps to protect their code are the culprit. Not the platform they're designing for.
    12-07-11 09:59 AM
    Again. The source code produced from the latest android decompilers is very clear and understandable. It's basically produces clearly copy able java code. That doesn't happen on iOS or BB, currently.

The platform should of taken necessary steps to protect their file formats and android didn't.
    12-07-11 10:41 AM
    Again. The source code produced from the latest android decompilers is very clear and understandable. It's basically produces clearly copy able java code. That doesn't happen on iOS or BB, currently.

The platform should of taken necessary steps to protect their file formats and android didn't.
    I am not disputing that Android apps can be reverse engineered or decompiled. However you are sorely mistaken if you think iOS apps or BB apps can't be decompiled into readable source code as well. It's nothing new. It's not a platform specific flaw. And yes, it does currently happen with iOS and BB too.

Your contention is that any and all Android (and only Android) apps are susceptible to it. Which is simply not accurate. It's the apps of developers who didn't take any precautions or steps to protect their code, and even then it just makes it more difficult, limiting it to coders with a better than competent talent to reverse engineer. Furthermore, not all Android apps are Java/Dalvik based (since you seem to be focusing on Java), so no, not all Android apps can be converted into Java code.
    12-07-11 11:21 AM
    Most of the android apps are java apps. Also, the native format also has a decompiler that can decompile it into C++ code already made. Please point out the decompilers for iOS and BB. I'm sure you won't find anything very useful or anything that works as well as the decompilers for Android. So, ALL Android apps can be decompiled.
    12-07-11 12:10 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD