The amount of misinformed, unresearched and bold lies that arise in many RIM related articles is becoming ridiculous....We all share this same frustration in the forums. RIM really needs to address this situation with a better public relations approach, which has been mentioned many times on the forum. Take it one step further and hold these journalist's / blogger's accountable to print retractions!

Journalists Need to Stop Writing “RIM is Dead” Articles Without Doing Any Research | BlackBerry Cool

The link briefly sums up our collective frustrations. However it is refreshing to see this topic being brought up more and more. Hopefully we come to a point where RIM addresses this issue more and more. RIM does have their Social Media team leaving comments in articles that bring truth to the matter. However the objective is clear and concise. Those that can be held accountable outside of opinion pieces, should be forced to print retractions! RIM clearly needs to address this better.
    02-12-12 08:03 PM
    Thanks for the article!

It really did summarize, at least, my frustrations when coming across the "RIM is dead" articles. More often than not, the writer doesn't seem to mention that RIM has 75 million customers, or that they have over $1 billion in cash, or that they added 5 million users last quarter (or was that two quarters ago?). They also forget that there is a world beyond the United States and that in a lot of those markets, RIM is leading the pack.

And, of course, the biggest gripe is that they don't know that RIM is transitioning to a new OS. I wonder if they've ever played with a PlayBook because I doubt they would already call the new platform "dead" if they have.

All in all, it's nice to see these kind of articles once in a while. Hopefully, BlackBerry 10 will eradicate all of this "reporting."
    02-12-12 08:12 PM
    RIM does have their Social Media team leaving comments in articles that bring truth to the matter.
    I had heard that some posts were paid posters, but I didn't believe it.
    02-12-12 08:34 PM
    I had heard that some posts were paid posters, but I didn't believe it.
    If they are apart of the social media team, they provide that info in their comments.
    02-12-12 08:36 PM
    The amount of misinformed, unresearched and bold lies that arise in many RIM related articles is becoming ridiculous....We all share this same frustration in the forums. RIM really needs to address this situation with a better public relations approach, which has been mentioned many times on the forum. Take it one step further and hold these journalist's / blogger's accountable to print retractions!

Journalists Need to Stop Writing “RIM is Dead” Articles Without Doing Any Research | BlackBerry Cool

The link briefly sums up our collective frustrations. However it is refreshing to see this topic being brought up more and more. Hopefully we come to a point where RIM addresses this issue more and more. RIM does have their Social Media team leaving comments in articles that bring truth to the matter. However the objective is clear and concise. Those that can be held accountable outside of opinion pieces, should be forced to print retractions! RIM clearly needs to address this better.
    RIM needs to stop giving journalists fodder for "RIM is dead stories" and there wouldn't be an issue in the first place. The treatment they have received is no worse than their competitors - you can find criticisms of all if people bother to look. RIM, however, has just been giving lots of ammunition to the critics.
    02-12-12 08:39 PM
    Heres the full article, Well done BlackBerry cool! BB fans should suport this.

Journalists Need to Stop Writing “RIM is Dead” Articles Without Doing Any Research
    Posted by BlackBerry Cool on February 12, 2012,at7:32 PM in News
    Tags: james surowiecki, the new yorker.
    Comments: 6 responses
    Here at BlackBerryCool, we’re no stranger to “RIM is Dead” articles. They continually show up from sites like TechCrunch but the New Yorker has recently published one of the worst we’ve ever read. The article, titled “BlackBerry Season”, doesn’t address any of the important indicators as to whether RIM is actually “dying” such as: its financials, its strategy with its new OS, the GLOBAL demand for smartphones (not just North America) or any indication as to whether RIM is doing a good job in its transition to a more consumer-centric organization. Is Apple or Google paying these “journalists” to write these articles? This article is so poorly researched that it makes you think there are covert lobbying groups paying for these kind of articles.

From now on, you don’t get to write a “RIM is Dead” article, unless you include well-researched commentary on the following:

1) Acquisitions - RIM has made several acquisitions to address core weaknesses in its platform. QNX, TAT, Torch Mobile and ScoreLoop have all recently become part of the RIM family and if you’re going to write about the health of RIM as a company, you better address these acquisitions.

2) New OS – So many of these garbage “RIM is Dead” articles talk about the legacy BlackBerry OS as though that’s the only OS for BlackBerry moving forward. If you’re going to write a “RIM is Dead” article, you better have done your homework about QNX and an analysis of how it will position RIM in the market.

3) Transition - RIM is going through a major transition right now as a company. With its acquisitions and new open source platform, RIM is making some pretty bold moves to change the company and its culture. If you think “RIM is Dead” you should be able to speak to this transition and include your brilliant analysis of how this positions the company relative to its competitors.

If you address all of the above, we may take your “RIM is Dead” article seriously. But the truth is that you probably have no clue what you’re talking about and you’re too lazy to do any of the research necessary to write a balanced and insightful article.
    02-12-12 09:37 PM
    new open source platform,
    Since when is it Open Source?.....They are using open source & promoting open source tools ect but the OS it's self is propietory.
    02-13-12 01:35 AM
    Since when is it Open Source?.....They are using open source & promoting open source tools ect but the OS it's self is propietory.
    Be precise ...
    BlackBerry Open Source
    (Oct 18th, 2011) Today Research in Motion announced its Native Open Source Components Initiative at DevCon 2011 America. As part of this initiative, RIM is contributing initial ports of commonly used Open Source Libraries and Games to the QNX-based BlackBerry© Tablet OS, to be used in conjuction with the BlackBerry Native SDK for Tablet OS (NDK). Following this release, RIM will collaborate with the existing open source communities to incorporate these changes into the upstream repositories.
    RIM is also releasing under an Open Source license some new convenience libraries and frameworks and some samples that show how to use all this components to create applications for the BlackBerry© PlayBook.
    02-13-12 02:26 AM
    Be precise ...
    BlackBerry Open Source
    [I]
    The newer blackberries will likely be 75% open source (QNX with Linux components), I love the sight of that!!! Webkit browser is open source.
    02-13-12 06:38 AM
    Thanks OP, agree.
    02-13-12 06:59 AM
    First mistake was calling any of these hacks/dilitantes/talking dead heads journalists. I have yet to have read anything written by a real journalist when it concerns the PlayBook.
    02-13-12 07:56 AM
    I didn't realise any internet based journalists did research.....
    02-13-12 08:19 AM
    I read this NY Times the article. It really seems like the writer only has a basic opinion of RIM, a sheeple-for-the-people asked to write this article by his editor...i.e. he could care less about what RIM is or where it's going.

It's articles like this that made me stop reading newspapers...until of course I bought the playbook and started using PressReader...I can read a few words in an article and if it's lame (like this one) I can just swipe it away
    Last edited by anthogag; 02-13-12 at 09:02 AM.
    02-13-12 08:25 AM
    Here's the article blackberry cool commented on:

Research in Motion and the BlackBerry’s Rise and Fall : The New Yorker

In these magazines, old media comments on things everyone else has known for months. It's for the baby boomers not plugged into real time news like us and enjoy a magazine.

Alas, journalist paid for an opinion to overstate the obvious of what has transpired. Now if he wrote a counter piece to the B.S. online, then he would be earning his pay.
    02-13-12 05:49 PM
    these journalists probably do not even use bbs. they arent as hopeful as crackberry users

its not like they are picking on rim for fun. rim did this to themselves
    02-13-12 07:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD