Never thought I'd see the day: Why the iPhone is worse than a BlackBerry
    02-08-12 12:38 PM
    And the day this comes as a feature to the iPhone it'll be:

"Introducing the iPhone 5, with a REVOLUTIONARY new way to handle your notifications. This changes everything. Again. "

And people will praise the innovation! Apple is so clever to have thought of this! If only someone had thought of this 8 years ago ...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-08-12 12:45 PM
    I was thinking something along those lines... maybe he is talking down the iPhone now so that when the 5 comes out he can go bananas all over his blog.
    deezy87 likes this.
    02-08-12 12:50 PM
    I agree with him 100% in this article. Its not just about Ios either, its about android too...with ICS they have limited their control of notifications as well! I have some businesses that I own and have to take alarm calls at night, I HATE having my emails or texts from friends wake me up in the middle of the night..with blackberry its so nice to just put it in the charger and it kicks into bedside mode...heck look up bedside mode on google and most of the threads are from android or ios users asking for this. so YES in this area blackberry is leading.
    02-08-12 12:50 PM
    Unfortunately, he's really not praising the berry for anything other than their notification system. The headline is a bit misleading, and probably got a ton of hits, but the content is really "I absolutely love my iPhone, except for this one missing feature that BlackBerry's have had for ages."
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    02-08-12 12:55 PM
    LOL. that guy sure has a hold on some of you...
    02-08-12 12:57 PM
    Unfortunately, he's really not praising the berry for anything other than their notification system. The headline is a bit misleading, and probably got a ton of hits, but the content is really "I absolutely love my iPhone, except for this one missing feature that BlackBerry's have had for ages."
    Soooo many only read headlines though...
    02-08-12 12:59 PM
    The notification system is always the #1 thing that people miss when they leave BlackBerry... Nobody else even comes close.
    02-08-12 12:59 PM
    on android tasker and profiler can be used to do just what he is talking about. I am suprised iOS doesnt have this type of app
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-08-12 01:03 PM
    on android tasker and profiler can be used to do just what he is talking about. I am suprised iOS doesnt have this type of app
    Agreed. Tasker is great, but also pretty complex lol. I find it amazing what other people can do with it. I say other people, because I've still not really been able to figure it out, and just take others people ideas and use them for myself

As for the article..I don't think it's any surprise that he titled the thread the way he did..instead of "How the iPhone is worse than a Blackberry".
    02-08-12 01:13 PM
    iPhone doesnt need an app to do this, because it is the best phone out there, havent you been reading the news?
    02-08-12 01:15 PM
    lol he gets more page views this way, he is no dummy!

I agree about what others can do with tasker. I dont use it as all i really need is my wifi turned on and off when i get home and y5 does that easily
    02-08-12 01:17 PM
    I wonder if iOS doesn't have this because a) they haven't implemented an OS-level notification system for messaging apps to hook into that provides the detail necessary to identify all of the profile-specific notification cases or b) because the setup of profiles requires thought and time and goes against the make-it-simple approach of Apple.

I remember spending a full day or so assigning various combinations of ringtones, vibrations, and led blinking to all of the different messaging events and then overriding some on the contact level when I got my first Curve capable of doing so. Blackberry and Android users are used to being able to use the phone immediately when unboxed, but more often choose to (eventually) explore and customize to suit daily use. Apple, on the other hand, seems to focus more on buying, charging, and using with (what appears to me) a sparse set of settings to be customized.

<offtopic>
    I've been fascinated for a while by your combination of phones - Storm and Nexus. What is your current use case for your Storm considering all of the functionality afforded by the Nexus?
    </offtopic>
    02-08-12 01:19 PM
    Why does anyone even care what he says anymore about anything?
    02-08-12 01:21 PM
    Agreed. Tasker is great, but also pretty complex lol. I find it amazing what other people can do with it. I say other people, because I've still not really been able to figure it out, and just take others people ideas and use them for myself

As for the article..I don't think it's any surprise that he titled the thread the way he did..instead of "How the iPhone is worse than a Blackberry".
    The headline is overly generalized, not matching the content. More accurate would have been "One Aspect of the BlackBerry OS That is Superior to iOS". Boring... yes. Lol.
    02-08-12 01:28 PM
    It looks like this guy needs a BlackBerry with NFC tags.

He wants this-and-that to happen when he's here-and-there…doesn't NFC tagging accomplish this

It is funny how this missing feature makes him "hate his iPhone every day"
    Maybe that's the root of his BB hateration
    02-08-12 01:30 PM
    Why does anyone even care what he says anymore about anything?
    I care because RIM has issued refutations of BGR stories more than once, right? So if BGR has RIM's attention, they'll get mine as well. Makes you wonder who is feeding the info.
    02-08-12 01:31 PM
    Try to silence your notifications but keep your ringer active on your galaxy nexus or any other post ics device...let me know what happens.
    02-08-12 01:38 PM
    Can the OP please copy and paste the article so that I don't have to click on the link and give that iSite more hits. Also since I dismiss BGR for his anti RIM rants there is no reason to believe him when he posts a pro RIM article. Just in the interests of objectivity. I don't want to be a hypocrite and dismiss him when he posts negative news and be happy when he posts positive news. Although I'm waiting to see how he eventually spins this into a negative. The iTroll.
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    02-08-12 01:51 PM
    Can the OP please copy and paste the article so that I don't have to click on the link and give that iSite more hits. Also since I dismiss BGR for his anti RIM rants there is no reason to believe him when he posts a pro RIM article. Just in the interests of objectivity. I don't want to be a hypocrite and dismiss him when he posts negative news and be happy when he posts positive news. Although I'm waiting to see how he eventually spins this into a negative. The iTroll.

I can sum it up in one sentence. He likes the BlackBerry notifications better than the iPhone method. Lol. A lot more boring than his headline.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    02-08-12 01:56 PM
    I can sum it up in one sentence. He likes the BlackBerry notifications better than the iPhone method.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Thank you. Tell the moron to get himself a serious communication device and get a Xbox or PS3 for his games. Angry Birds doesn't cut it when it comes to playing Brothers In Arms on Xbox 360. Just my opinion though.
    batboris and mnhockeycoach99 like this.
    02-08-12 02:00 PM
    I wonder if iOS doesn't have this because a) they haven't implemented an OS-level notification system for messaging apps to hook into that provides the detail necessary to identify all of the profile-specific notification cases or b) because the setup of profiles requires thought and time and goes against the make-it-simple approach of Apple.

I remember spending a full day or so assigning various combinations of ringtones, vibrations, and led blinking to all of the different messaging events and then overriding some on the contact level when I got my first Curve capable of doing so. Blackberry and Android users are used to being able to use the phone immediately when unboxed, but more often choose to (eventually) explore and customize to suit daily use. Apple, on the other hand, seems to focus more on buying, charging, and using with (what appears to me) a sparse set of settings to be customized.
    Unless the device is jailbroken there is no way to do this with IOS. In IOS the message store (ie emails, Outlook reminders(tasks) ) are sandboxed for security reasons and cannot be accessed by another application. So there is no way to trigger on sender, domain, subject, etc.
    02-08-12 02:04 PM
    Can the OP please copy and paste the article so that I don't have to click on the link and give that iSite more hits.

I agree....Most people would have already read it by now...but for those who have not....
    I love my iPhone. In fact, I�ve loved every iPhone Apple has launched since the first model was unveiled in 2007. Slowly but surely, Apple has introduced new features and eliminated upon almost every major gripe people had with iOS to push the limits of what we expect from a modern smartphone, and also to keep the platform on par with or even ahead of the competition. Copy and paste, MMS, background apps, multitasking, notifications, folders and much more have been added over time. There is one thing that makes me hate my iPhone every single day though, and I hope Apple is going to address it soon. I need more control over my alerts.
    I really wish Apple would create an area in settings, or even add on to the notifications options, to allow users to set custom alert settings for different things. For instance, I�d love it if I could have different profile modes with settings for vibrate, ring, volume and ringtone much like how RIM�s BlackBerry phones have worked for ages. And there�s plenty of room for improvement beyond what RIM is doing in its BlackBerry OS� just look at how great Motorola�s Smart Actions feature is. Apple could totally take this one step further and allow location-based profiles for alerts, system settings, and more. When I get home, I want Bluetooth to turn off automatically, and I want my alert profile to change, for instance.

I might want my phone to vibrate for almost all alerts, and sometimes I want my phone ring as well. Sometimes I want everything to be on silent and have my phone ring only if it�s a certain person calling or messaging me. I just want more control over how my phone acts in this respect � it�s something that is half-assed in its current state. Sure, you can set custom alert tones for SMS and iMessage, and you can set custom ringers for specific contacts as well, but this is all being fed through a very rudimentary �your phone is either on ring or vibrate, you idiot� switch.

If Apple does decide to introduce some sort of profile control, it will fix one of the most glaring holes still in iOS, in my view. We�ll get there eventually, I believe.

Source:
    Why the iPhone is worse than a BlackBerry
    02-08-12 02:48 PM
    This site is halarious. Five of the top ten threads concern Apple/iPhone. Did Apple ever publicly diss RIM? Any newbie coming to this site would smell fear from crackberry folks.
    02-08-12 03:11 PM
    Try to silence your notifications but keep your ringer active on your galaxy nexus or any other post ics device...let me know what happens.
    Simple Sound Profile Widget
    https://market.android.com/details?i...roid.spm&hl=en

Works like a charm.
    02-08-12 05:46 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD