I have both Z10 and a Jolla. My smartphone usage started with Palm Treo, then few BlackBerry, iPhone, Nokia N900, Nokia N9, Z10, Jolla and now Sailfish OS on Nexus 5. I still use Z10 for some work stuff.

• Double tap wake up (Swipe up on BB10 is also good)
    • Just Swipe down an app to close. Swipe down when you are not in an app (home screen, lock screen, etc) to lock the phone or change Ambience (background, transparency, text colors, ring tones, etc).
    • Ambience - It helps keep the Sailfish OS look interesting all the time.
    • Swipe right to see notifications, streams, etc.
    • Swipe left to see running apps (looks and works kind of like bb10, without the close window x always showing. Press and hold on screen to display x to close on windows. Since you can swipe down while you are in an app to close it, you rarely need to use this screen to close apps.
    • Usage of screen real estate by hiding buttons. Sailfish uses swipes inside the screen to navigate within an app to eliminate the need for back and other buttons. It provides an innovative pull down menu for additional options. Though it works great most of the time, there are rare situations that this pull down menu may not be optimal to use, and the developer has the option to add buttons if required. On most other OS, a lot of screen is wasted for navigation buttons on top, or bottom, and then sometimes bottom and top.
    • Since the OS can be used without requiring the navigation buttons most of the time, it is possible to use with one hand to do pretty much everything even on tablet.
    • Keyboard available for almost all languages in the world. Many created by the community. Checkout openrepos.net. If you don't have one available for your language or liking, make one yourself in about 10 minutes. You just need to create an XML file and drop in a folder.
    • If you need fonts that are not included in the OS, it is easy to install
    • If you don't like some features or looks, you maybe able to create your own patches (well, many. some require c++ knowledge). It is so easy. Search openrepos.net to see all the community developed patches.
    • Hey, you came up with a cool patch or application and you want to let others try it, compile and make your RPM, installer package right on your device.
    • You can install an RPM or APK without any fuss (well at your own risk)
    • A full shell that you can do everything since it is real Linux.
    • You can ssh to and from the device and securely copy files over wifi or cellular network without having to connect to usb.
    • No need to jailbreak. It is your device. Do what you want.
    • No. No Google. No Apple. No Microsoft or BlackBerry monitoring and tracking what you're doing. Privacy. Something hard to come by these days.

There are plenty more. There are some features missing as well. But overall, while using both Sailfish and Z10 most of the day. I really enjoy Sailfish more that BB10.

It is certainly just my opinion. You will ned to try it to find out if you like it or not.
    02-17-16 11:06 AM
    It doesn't look right at all.
    02-17-16 01:00 PM
    Looks cool

Posted via Z30
    02-17-16 01:42 PM
    [*] You can install an RPM or APK without any fuss (well at your own risk)
    The fact that you can install an apk doesn't mean that run well, in BlackBerry10 90% of Android apps installed works flawless and smoothly, in Sailfish only 10% "works"and that 10% don't run well, so yes you can install android apps but majority doesn't work and if they work are too lagy or inhibit the phone.

[*] Hey, you came up with a cool patch or application and you want to let others try it, compile and make your RPM, installer package right on your device.
    You forgot to say that you can break something in the OS if you patch interfere with something as a result you get a laggy phone or some components may not work even interfere with other apps

If you want a phone just for call or text messaging Jolla is acceptable even the browser doesn't work well lag everywhere, but if you want a real smartphone BlackBerry 10 is better in every aspect there is no point in comparison between both OS's only the look and gestures nothing more

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 05:01 PM
    Jolla sailfish and Turing phone when released will be for me yeah, only when Chen decides to stop making BB10 smartphones.

  
    02-17-16 09:09 PM
    I don't want to start an OS war here. I love my Z10. I am just posting this because I am using both Z10 and Sailfish and wanted to bring attention to some Sailfish features I love more than BB10, in case someone is interested. I will be happy with either OS though.

The fact that you can install an apk doesn't mean that run well, in BlackBerry10 90% of Android apps installed works flawless and smoothly, in Sailfish only 10% "works"and that 10% don't run well, so yes you can install android apps but majority doesn't work and if they work are too lagy or inhibit the phone.
    Not true at all. As a a matter of fact. Android runtime on Jolla is implemented very well. Obviously Android apps are not as beautiful as Sailfish native apps.
    I am not big into downloading hundreds of apps. I mostly use native clients for my daily use. I do use some Android apps - Waze for navigation, Skype, Whatsapp, Google Chrome, etc. I have also installed a few Android games. There are many Android apps on Jolla store and also Aptoide Android appstore app available in Jolla store. It makes it easy for installing. I think it is even possible to install Google Play, I have not tried it.

It was a pain to get Snap installed on Z10. Until then installing Android apps were not that easy. I also use my Z10 for work so I don't use a lot of Android apps. I do get blank black screens often on my Z10 for Android apps.

BB10 certainly has more native apps than Sailfish, so I have less reason to run Android apps.

You forgot to say that you can break something in the OS if you patch interfere with something as a result you get a laggy phone or some components may not work even interfere with other apps
    Of course you can break things if you are not careful. So can you with Windows desktop or Linux server. But thanks to the community support, and the Warehouse app store for openrepos.net, there are many well put together and tested patches available ready to be installed without too much worry.

To be fare, here are my four missing features with Sailfish:
    • No out of the box support for conference calls (there is a patch that I put together in openrepos.net with help from other community members to solve it)
    • No contact groups, so SMS/MMS to group is a mess
    • No per contact ringtone support. They allow you to change ringtones by changing the Ambience, but it is not per contact. There is also a patch in openrepos.net that allows to do it, but I have not tried it.
    • No text select and copy support in browser. Copy paste works most places but not in the default browser.

Other than the above listed, it pretty much work well as a smartphone. I hope with their limited staff, they will be able take care of these issues in the near future.

I don't think I have experienced any Android app crashes or lagging on Android or native apps including browser, since maybe 1.7 update. The OS actually feels pretty smooth and polished with current version. Jolla managed to release 19 OS updates in 2 years, which itself is impressive.

I think it will be easier to go to Sailfish for people who loves BB10 than going to Android or iOS, since they both works similar, in case BlackBerry goes all Android. If Jolla succeed in getting more partners and they manage to release more devices, it will be great.
    Mecca EL, HereticHermit and dpgo like this.
    02-17-16 09:21 PM
    Well everyone has to start somewhere, Jolla was doing ok until the funding issue

Posted via CB10
    Isn't that like saying BlackBerry was doing ok until sales started falling?
    JeepBB, DrBoomBotz, web99 and 1 others like this.
    02-17-16 11:13 PM
    Not late since won't be available in North America with lte til april

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Can't wait! Looks awesome.

Using my Passport!
    02-19-16 12:47 PM
    02-22-16 01:04 PM
    I also really like the sailfish OS. I had the N9 Nokia and loved it. Sailfish looks great on a tablet and if they can get it produced in tablet form, ship to the U.S for Christmas from a no name company.cheap, it will sell as people would think it's android with its Google play access. I hate android myself, coming from a Samsung user. I can't stand it even more than Windows phone or IOS.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-16 05:13 PM
    Intex India has launched Jolla phone running OS 2 at Barcelona. For a mid level device it looks promising at the price point.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-16 05:22 PM
    02-24-16 05:26 PM
    How good is the Mail app that comes with Sailfish OS? I personally like the BB Hub and wouldn't go without it.
    03-09-16 05:30 AM
    Anyone able to find any good instructions on how to flash onto Nexus 4?

Cheers, guys... :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    03-09-16 03:21 PM
    Is it even possible to get a phone running sailfish that supports north American 4G?
    03-10-16 12:10 AM
    Yep. If Chen decides to stop making new BB10 Os smartphones, I am done with BlackBerry. I am getting the jolla sailfish Os Turing smatphone.

  
    03-10-16 11:09 AM
    Is it even possible to get a phone running sailfish that supports north American 4G?
    Flash it on a Android phone basically

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 11:17 AM
    Great thread I want to try this OS. I've been using android for a month now and an OS that is better than BB10 sounds pretty good about now.

Sony Z5 / Android 5.1.1 / T-Mobile USA
    03-10-16 11:34 AM
    Great thread I want to try this OS. I've been using android for a month now and an OS that is better than BB10 sounds pretty good about now.

Sony Z5 / Android 5.1.1 / T-Mobile USA
    I wouldn't say Sailfish is better than BB10, it flows nicely but it's lacking feature wise in a lot of areas ( but for the size of the company and problems they have had its an achievement)

Posted via CB10
    Meenix likes this.
    03-10-16 12:20 PM
    It could an opportunity for BlackBerry, continue doing good hardware with nice keyboard and security software for Android/Sailfish/BB10.

If the OS development is too expensive for BlackBerry they should join efforts with the open source community (they should do it before) in the same way that google did with android and apple did with their os X.

there is much work done for maemo/meego/sailfish which can be reused with a little effort

Posted via CB10
    05-07-16 04:07 AM
    Never had Jolla, but one of my previous phones was Nokia n950 running Meego, predecessor of Jolla. It had outstanding UI. Still unmatched, even by BB and its hub.
    Very few of us in the world have had the pleasure of using an N9. It was truly heartbreaking to see Meego dumped like that.

 C L A S S I C
    05-07-16 05:05 PM
    I still maintained that BlackBerry largely copied the BB10 UI from Meego. Which is a good thing. I think nearly all of us N9 users defected to BB10 or Jolla after its demise.

Unfortunately Jolla is not available in North America. BB10 is our only hope! Lol.

 C L A S S I C
    05-07-16 05:08 PM
    I still maintained that BlackBerry largely copied the BB10 UI from Meego. Which is a good thing. I think nearly all of us N9 users defected to BB10 or Jolla after its demise.

Unfortunately Jolla is not available in North America. BB10 is our only hope! Lol.

 C L A S S I C
    Check the Turing, Intex Aqua fish, possible fair phone, Android device ports ect

Posted via CB10
    05-07-16 05:23 PM

 C L A S S I C
    You're right about the OS, there were a number of articles discussing just that (just look at the difference between the software versions of the Alpha A and Alpha B). I never had a Meego device, at the time I was using an HTC, but if you look at reviews for the N900, you'll see the how BlackBerry practically lifted the active frames from Nokia, which is quite a rip-off, but hey, it got us where we are today (which is, sadly and ironically, similar to how Maemo fared for the Finnish)... Regarding Jolla, I don't find it appealing, even if it's a gesture driven OS.

Black Passport
    05-08-16 01:01 PM
    Any BB10 enthusiast shouldn't dismiss Sailfish OS. I think it has potential in time!

Q10 - 10.3.2.2876/SR .2836  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    BKbehave likes this.
    05-08-16 04:04 PM
91 1234