I'd wait to see how the "restructuring" goes..... might be the a year from now there isn't a company call Jolla.

With Google giveing away Android (there are cost though), and Android being so dominant.... just not a good business to be in at this point. Three or four years ago, there were plenty of investors out there willing to fund the next big OS. Not so much today.

They only shipped about 700 of those crowdfunded Tablets....

They received their funding for December, so they started trying to get their employees back that they had to temp lay off

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    02-15-16 08:23 AM
    Loaded it on my one plus one last week, it's a good OS , yes not functional yet but I really liked it.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-15-16 09:25 AM
    They received their funding for December, so they started trying to get their employees back that they had to temp lay off

Posted via CB10
    Yes I heard they got about $10 million for immediate needs and an undetermined amount overall. But I understood that they canceled the temporary lay-offs. And were restructuring with just key resources.... they planned to scale back and operate with about half the workforce they had - maybe down to 40 people.

They also kinda canceled the whole crowdfunded Tablet which had gotten almost 22K "backers". They were shipping out about 700 units and would be refunding the balance over the coming year.... (if they have the money).

They have announced the Sailfish will be used on the much hyped (liquidmorphium), and much delayed ultra-secure Turing Phone. But with only 10K units planned for launch, and a $600 price tag for last years hardware... don't think Jolla is getting a lot out of it other than exposure.

Apple and Google are pushing that "others" category - which includes Microsoft and their billions..... toward a cliff of obscurity. Inventory funding is going to be more and more difficult to get, without a product that can create revenues.
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    02-15-16 11:10 AM
    The os is a million times better than Firefox os.
    Firefox OS is intended to provide a minimal online experience on barely-functional hardware. It is not a proper computing OS by any measure.
    02-15-16 11:35 AM
    Sailfish OS is great. It's already available for a bunch of different android devices, for more than a year now. As SLFF stated, I've been using on my 1+1 for a while now. LTE works good, over T-Mobile, but that's just me.
    Attached Thumbnails Jolla's Sailfish OS looks to have significantly improved beyond BB10 (IMO)-1455558546064.jpg   Jolla's Sailfish OS looks to have significantly improved beyond BB10 (IMO)-1455558573394.jpg   Jolla's Sailfish OS looks to have significantly improved beyond BB10 (IMO)-1455558610844.jpg  
    02-15-16 11:50 AM
    Yeah, the OS looks great and the jesters reminds me of "you know what". It seems like the next, best alternative. But I'm one of the ones who came to BlackBerry because of BlackBerry10's OS's jester base, productivity and security platform. And now I'm wondering how Sailfish compares in those respects?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by KNEBB; 02-16-16 at 01:35 AM.
    02-15-16 08:03 PM
    I have a Jolla phone and I think it is quite smooth. I think it could be better in terms of apps, but the system itself is quite pleasant to use
    02-15-16 09:45 PM
    Inventory funding is going to be more and more difficult to get, without a product that can create revenues.

As has always been the case... "If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense.

I doubt crowd-funding, of anything, leads to success except in the rarest of circumstances. And the number of billionaires willing to fund vanity-projects in the absence of a commercially-costed plan is rarer still.

My main take-away from this thread is how much it serves to confirm Troy's "contrarian" theory. I see little reason, other than sheer contrarianism, to jump from the BB10 frying-pan into the Jolla fire.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt, web99 and Jerry A like this.
    02-16-16 02:46 AM
    Wow, a mobile OS less relevant than BB10.
    Seriously, like heck it has apps.
    02-16-16 05:24 AM
    I was hoping to have their tablet and committed initial funds... well I was bummed out but it is a small effort as long as they do proper refunds.
    Yes Jolla was my next device even before negative nellies at work started coming on this forum en masse.
    I hope Jolla keyboard project takes off well, so far nothing much seems to be on with that.
    02-16-16 05:55 AM
    I thought I would give a perspective from a Jolla user.

TBH, as a consumer os, you guys are probably better off with BBOS10, although with the apparent strategy shift from BB it seems like its a platform in decline much like Maemo/Meego.

Yeah, the OS looks great and the jesters reminds me of "you know what". It seems like the next, best alternative. But I'm one of the ones who came to BlackBerry because of BlackBerry10's OS's jester base, productivity and security platform. And now I'm wondering how Sailfish compares in those respects?
    I haven't used BBOS10, but PIM and security have been blackberry's forte for a long time, and Sailfish is currently lacking in this respect compared to the status quo (android) and likely nowhere near what you guys have with BBOS10.

Where Sailfish OS really shines is in its Linux based open core, where you can fill some of the 'app gap' with the many open source applications that you can just compile for your phone, and make use of command line utils or standard linux services to help do what you want to do.

The pictures above are of the Sailfish 1.X UI which has now been redesigned in the latest releases, but not all of the community ports have made it to the latest version yet.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-16-16 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Post approved but sry, cant leave your 1st link.
    02-16-16 06:41 AM
    I was hoping to have their tablet and committed initial funds... well I was bummed out but it is a small effort as long as they do proper refunds.
    Yes Jolla was my next device even before negative nellies at work started coming on this forum en masse.
    I hope Jolla keyboard project takes off well, so far nothing much seems to be on with that.
    From what I understood, they basically were killing off their hardware division and moving to software only..... sounds familiar.
    02-16-16 07:06 AM
    From what I understood, they basically were killing off their hardware division and moving to software only..... sounds familiar.
    Yes, having burnt their fingers with tablet and phone sales that didn't exactly set the sales chart on fire they are bound to look for software. However unlike BB10 they don't feel constrained with working parameters or obliged to work under specific industrial approach. If they are able to exploit the Linux flexibility and offer decent app situation so that et least a working compromise is reached with app situation; many will be inclined to give the OS a fair chance. Linux v/s android is no brainer wrt which can be made more secure.
    02-16-16 10:22 AM
    My main take-away from this thread is how much it serves to confirm Troy's "contrarian" theory. I see little reason, other than sheer contrarianism, to jump from the BB10 frying-pan into the Jolla fire.
    But aren't you about jumping to W10?

Troy's model isn't necessarily close to reality, I use BB10 for the things that Android or Apple don't have.

On the other side, I often don't follow certain hypes if I can't see any value for me and so far it seems that I'm doing well not following (always) the masses.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-16 10:41 AM
    Yes, having burnt their fingers with tablet and phone sales that didn't exactly set the sales chart on fire they are bound to look for software. However unlike BB10 they don't feel constrained with working parameters or obliged to work under specific industrial approach. If they are able to exploit the Linux flexibility and offer decent app situation so that et least a working compromise is reached with app situation; many will be inclined to give the OS a fair chance. Linux v/s android is no brainer wrt which can be made more secure.
    With the Turing Phone... security is a big thing that Turing is pushing.

What I don't really "get" is how Turing can plan only 10K units and make it a viable product... and BlackBerry needs to sell at least 5 million. Kinda makes it sound like BlackBerry still has some cutting that could be done.
    02-16-16 10:43 AM
    But aren't you about jumping to W10?

Troy's model isn't necessarily close to reality, I use BB10 for the things that Android or Apple don't have.

On the other side, I often don't follow certain hypes if I can't see any value for me and so far it seems that I'm doing well not following (always) the masses.
    I'm already on WinPhone though I suspect my contrarian ways are about to end.

My Lumia 1520 is due an upgrade in 1 month. The choice for my next phone was between a Microsoft 950XL and iPhone 6S+. I really like WP, and my son has already bought the 950 which is a nice phone, but I've come to the slightly reluctant conclusion that I want the Apps more. I was hoping that WinPhone10 would gain more traction than it has and give me more reason to go with my heart, but the recent news from the WinPhone world hasn't been encouraging in terms of me seeing a bright future for the platform and I've played the game of taking the less-travelled road too often, and stubbed my toes more than I'd like.

I don't want to carry two phones... been there, done that... it's sub-optimal. So... I'll be buying an iPhone6S+ in March, my first mainstream phone since the iPhone 3gs I used to have (and regularly cursed for poor battery life!).

I'm sure I'll cast envious glances at my son's 950 in the coming months, and I may return to WinPhone in a year or so if the rumoured Surface Phone arrives and looks like it might gain traction but, for now I'm gonna join the flock!
    02-16-16 01:22 PM

What I don't really "get" is how Turing can plan only 10K units and make it a viable product... and BlackBerry needs to sell at least 5 million. Kinda makes it sound like BlackBerry still has some cutting that could be done.
    BlackBerry is still a large publicly-traded organisation with overheads that come from that and has around 6,000 employees that need a regular pay-cheque. That adds to the cost of them doing business in a way that a small agile company like Turing working on a shoestring budget with few employees don't have.

I'm not trying to paint BB as some inefficient dinosaur, but the bigger beast that it is inevitably leads to higher costs, just because it is bigger. BB is in a difficult space right now... it is big enough to have those increased costs, but is now too small to gain some of the advantages of size (like economies of scale in manufacturing).
    02-16-16 01:35 PM
    [...]
    I don't want to carry two phones... been there, done that... it's sub-optimal. So... I'll be buying an iPhone6S+ in March, my first mainstream phone since the iPhone 3gs I used to have (and regularly cursed for poor battery life!).

I'm sure I'll cast envious glances at my son's 950 in the coming months, and I may return to WinPhone in a year or so if the rumoured Surface Phone arrives and looks like it might gain traction but, for now I'm gonna join the flock!
    Ah, I was carrying a Q10 (work) and Z30 (private) with me for a while, now I have only a Passport (Balance: Work+Private).
    Doesn't bother me if my employer would see "private" phone numbers on the billls, and my family/friends must know only one number.

iPhone6 is a great phone, best apps, but iTunes on Windows is, you know, uhm, not really great.
    (If I could secure a Mac same way I can secure Windows, I would have jumped to Apple years ago...)
    02-16-16 02:00 PM
    Ah, I was carrying a Q10 (work) and Z30 (private) with me for a while, now I have only a Passport (Balance: Work+Private).
    Doesn't bother me if my employer would see "private" phone numbers on the billls, and my family/friends must know only one number.

iPhone6 is a great phone, best apps, but iTunes on Windows is, you know, uhm, not really great.
    (If I could secure a Mac same way I can secure Windows, I would have jumped to Apple years ago...)
    I wonder how many iOS users have ever connected their phone/tablet to a Windows or Mac?

I know I would want to move non-iTunes content over, but most people I know.... it's mainly iTunes content anyway.
    02-16-16 02:08 PM
    I wonder how many iOS users have ever connected their phone/tablet to a Windows or Mac?
    I know I would want to move non-iTunes content over, but most people I know.... it's mainly iTunes content anyway.
    Good question.
    I connect my Passport's sd card very often to my Windows.

For example, I rename pictures/videos taken with my device, copy them into folders (upload an encrypted back-up to Onedrive) and put some back to my device.

I have digital copies of nearly everything relevant for my family (driver license, insurance cards, passport, marriage certificate, birth certificates, vaccination cards... ), PaperPusherScanner app in combination with the Passport camera is great for many of these btw,...and then I have several 1000 songs which I manage on Windows (back up in Amazon's cloud) and just drag&drop to my sd card (together with some playlists). I would never create a playlist with 200 songs on my mobile phone or tablet, I do that in good time with MusicBee on Windows.
    02-16-16 04:42 PM
    Jolla's Sailfish OS looks to have significantly improved beyond BB10 (IMO)-jolla.jpg

BB10 is far better than Jolla, it can't even compare.

The best feature of Jolla compared to BB10 is the one in the image

Regards
    02-16-16 04:57 PM

ITunes isn't great, I agree.

I recall using a program on my PC called AnaPod or something, that allowed you to drag and drop using a file explorer window to your iDevice... I'll have to see if it still exists.
    02-16-16 05:33 PM
    Back to the OP, why exactly is Jolla already beyond BB10?

"Sailfish Secure" isn't available yet, so it can't be security.
    Is it the features?
    02-17-16 04:03 AM

Turing seems like a scam. They still haven't released the phone yet and they pulled a bait and switch on backers by inexplicably switching from Android to Sailfish. If they've been working on secure Android software and encryption for awhile, it's all thrown out the window by switching os's at the last minute. If the product ever ships at all, it won't be what was promised. I think crowd funded companies are too small to be in the smartphone business and 10k units isn't enough to be viable. They're just overly optimistic if not downright dishonest.
    02-17-16 06:31 AM
    Well everyone has to start somewhere, Jolla was doing ok until the funding issue

Posted via CB10
    02-17-16 06:35 AM
91 1234