Hi,
    I just wondered what people's opinions are of the new jolla phone that has been developed by some old Nokia employees that was announced yesterday.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/20/jolla-phone/

I think there are some interesting features and quite a few similarities to bb10. I think it might be a case of nobody being aware of it though so it may fail for the same reasons as BlackBerry may fail as most people just know ios or Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 07:21 AM
    Oh! I'm aware.... I've even pre ordered one. it is gorgeous.

Jolla \ sailfish OS-photo-1.png

Yes, it looks like BB10 a bit. Blackberry copied Meego. Jolla took over the Meego project.

Posted via CB10
    stberry and bekkay like this.
    05-21-13 07:26 AM
    Oh! I'm aware.... I've even pre ordered one. it is gorgeous.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.PNG 
Views:	1391 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	163793

Yes, it looks like BB10 a bit. Blackberry copied Meego. Jolla took over the Meego project.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, you're brave ;-) when is it released? I would love to know your thoughts regarding how they will promote the phone so it doesn't get lost under ios and android as I think it looks very interesting as does Ubuntu phone as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:52 AM
    I don't get the second half bit. can someone explain it to me?
    05-21-13 08:54 AM
    I don't get the second half bit. can someone explain it to me?
    I might be misunderstanding it, but in reality its a removeable back in different colours and styles.

The problem I see with this phone apart from market presence is specs. It's basically Z10 spec, which was passable when the Z10 launched, but end of this year beginning of next year? Not so much.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:59 AM
    I think there are different groups of people who buy phones, those that only buy them because all their friends have them, those that buy phones on specs and those that buy them because of the experience. I would like to think that I am in the last group but I think this is the minority group with most others in the first group and then the second group.

For this reason I hope that iOS, android, windows phone, blackberry,jolla and Ubuntu all compete and we just don't end up with the duopoly that we seem to have at the moment.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-21-13 09:33 AM
    I'll be getting one, looks very interesting. I doubt that it'll gain significant traction in North America, perhaps in Europe and Asia.

Posted via CB10
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    05-21-13 09:58 AM
    I'll be getting one, looks very interesting. I doubt that it'll gain significant traction in North America, perhaps in Europe and Asia.

Posted via CB10
    But do you think you will just end up with an unsupported phone if the company folds if not enough phones are sold or are there some big financial backers that can support it?
    05-21-13 10:17 AM
    But do you think you will just end up with an unsupported phone if the company folds if not enough phones are sold or are there some big financial backers that can support it?
    and that's the real problem, I mean id actually of loved that Else phone form 2009 but that folded before it even made it to market. sadly this isn't a market you can play in if you don't have the $$ for big marketing spend
    05-21-13 10:24 AM
    Will it get BBM?
    05-21-13 11:07 AM
    Ubuntu looks nicer ...
    05-21-13 11:13 AM
    I just hope BlackBerry realises even 4th place in the smartphone market isn't assured with these other companies coming up with good quality operating systems so they need to keep innovating and listening to their users.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 11:19 AM
    I just hope BlackBerry realises even 4th place in the smartphone market isn't assured with these other companies coming up with good quality operating systems so they need to keep innovating and listening to their users.

Posted via CB10
    I tried to find more info on this phone & OS, but there isn't much. A lot of talk about what the phone will be able to do with the "other half" system, but I haven't found a single demo. So where is the basis for talking about "good quality operating systems"?

I would like to know how the most recent iteration of the famous "burning platform" will become a true contender in the smartphone race, when big players like Microsoft and BlackBerry are struggling, despite both having an excellent OS on offer and 100.000+ apps in store.
    Last edited by maxdaniels; 05-21-13 at 05:03 PM.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    05-21-13 11:31 AM
    Wow, you're brave ;-) when is it released? I would love to know your thoughts regarding how they will promote the phone so it doesn't get lost under ios and android as I think it looks very interesting as does Ubuntu phone as well.

Posted via CB10
    Jolla is a very small start up. They don't have a few billion in the bank.

The pre order at thus stage is yo garner interest and raise funds. My pre order will give me a T Shirt, a limited edition Jolla phone and and exclusive other half (it's not a cover lol) for 100 euro. I don't actually get to pick any colours or anything yet. I get a voucher for 100 euro to use to purchase, in June sometime I think, a phone.

They've had a twitter campaign and I expect they have other things planned.

Phone release isn't expected until Q4. That's ok with me.

Something about it appeals greatly to me and it would be nice to play a part. Possibly they may just end up being a niche group.

The phone will launch via carriers first in China and Finland. Others to follow as per demand.

I am not brave. Where phones are concerned I like to look over the fence and see what's on the other side.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    05-21-13 11:41 AM
    I might be misunderstanding it, but in reality its a removeable back in different colours and styles.

The problem I see with this phone apart from market presence is specs. It's basically Z10 spec, which was passable when the Z10 launched, but end of this year beginning of next year? Not so much.

Posted via CB10
    It is not just a removable back. Think of it as the "other half" that can extend the functionality and personality of the phone half by way of some two-way communication technology (maybe proprietary, but likely NFC). The vision is grand, and the possibilities are endless...

• Bigass sound shell with stereo speakers that sound as good as the HTC One
    • Flipcover keyboard shell
    • Flipcover gamepad shell
    • Solar charger shell
    • Induction charger shell
    • Extended battery shell
    • Bigass flash shell to improve night time photography
    • Photo printer shell
    • Card scanner shell
    • Microprojector shell
    • DAC/headphone amp shell
    • Media extender shell with HDMI out, optical and S/PDIF out, aptX, etc.
    • E-ink display shell for RSS feeds, notifications, reading books, etc.
    • Magnetic shell to easily attach your phone to the fridge
    • Security shell with physical encryption PIN (similar to PortableApps.com Carbide: The World's Best Flash Drive | World's Best Flash Drive)
    • Celebrity promo shells that automatically inject custom wallpaper, RSS feeds, etc.
    • 99-in-1 memory card reader shell (you can never support enough formats! )
    • Mirror shell (you can never look too good lol)

It is really up to the imagination of the accessory maker. I salute these guys for being crazy enough to think this will work, and then having the gumption to turn it from vaporware to real hardware within the promised time frame where so many have royally screwed up before. Their passion is contagious.
    05-21-13 01:16 PM
    I just wonder about the app bugaboo that BlackBerry is going through. I thought I read that it could run the entire android app catalouge. But is it like a port or?/ Will be interesting to see the press on it.
    05-21-13 02:23 PM
    Here is a link to interview with Marc Dillon of Jolla. He talks a little about the possibilities of the other half.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/05/20/joll...ew-marc-dillon

I like this whole ambience thing.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 02:42 PM
    I just wonder about the app bugaboo that BlackBerry is going through. I thought I read that it could run the entire android app catalouge. But is it like a port or?/ Will be interesting to see the press on it.
    from the sailfish website:

Android runtime
    Sailfish OS includes the capability to run Android™ applications through a third party solution. It is based on open source Android libraries, ensuring performance comparable to the native environment.
    When Qt5 and Wayland technology are introduced to Sailfish OS, existing hardware adaptations made for Android can be leveraged, significantly easing the hardware adaptation work required to support the Sailfish OS.

For the best user experience and seamless native performance, applications built with Sailfish Silica Qt Quick components will be able to harness the full power of the devices running Sailfish OS.
    05-21-13 04:40 PM
    More news for nerds about the Android layer (but I guess nerds will have already read these ...

Get your slash dot fix here:
    Jolla Ports Wayland To Android GPU Drivers - Slashdot

Directly from the developer:
    Wayland utilizing Android GPU drivers on glibc based systems, Part 1

Of course running native apps will be ideal, but it's always good to at least have an option to run an Android app if there is no suitable substitute for Sailfish.
    05-21-13 09:09 PM
    Let's clear up some very big misapprehensions and misinformation that's been put forward in this thread so far....

A lot of the media have represented Jolla's OS as essentially nothing more than picking up where Nokia left off, suggesting that they have taken over the MeeGo work done by Nokia. this is highly inaccurate and fails to acknowledge the hard work and totally open development that has been done with the Mer Project on which the Sailfish OS is based for those who are interested, do some research to see what sort of a closed door, poorly governed shemozzle MeeGo was).

the device is a representation of the hardware concept that will come to market. the chief Hardware designer himself has stated this in videos, which are freely available on line for viewing (try jollausers website). I would expect that the handset displayed will be near to, but not final build samples, and would bear this in mind. It is a showcase of both the OS and UI as well as the design concept for the "Other Half", supporting a range of technology features that can provide a new take on the concept of modular mobile computing and communication devices. don;t underestimate the game changing nature of what this means across the board.

Jolla's pre-order campaign is about garnering support and getting a feel for the level of interest, both wrt numbers and geographical locations.
    IT IS NOT ABOUT GETTING FUNDING. Clearly this complete misconception has been brought about by media interpretations based on it having similarity to kickstarter/crowd sourcing projects and Invesdor's role in the project.
    Certainly the level of interest revealed by the campaign will help in the next stage of capital investment raising which will occur over the next month or two.

Sailfish OS is based on the Mer project, which in turn has it's roots in the Open Source MeeGo Project, of which Nokia and Intel (amongst a number of other big players) were in partnership.
    Mer, unlike it's predecessor, is run as a completely open source and governed project and provides only middleware (no hardware adaption and no UI/UX) layer for vendors to develop with.
    Mer is Glibc and Qt and Pyside compliant and for those who want it simply, can be loosely interpreted to be a stripped down and highly optimised linux distro focussed on mobile devices (IVI, handset and tablets etc.)
    Jolla have built the Sailfish UX on top of Mer, providing a lot of upstream support to the Mer project and obviously working closely with them.
    furthermore, both Jolla and Mer are comitted to community input and involvement and both support and push bugfixing and changes to upstream components that are used in the OS and UI

why support it?

Like BB10, it uses Qt/QML and supporting Jolla will support the incredible team of devs worldwide who use it for cross-platform application and UX development. In turn this increases the likelihood of quality native apps for Blackberry 10 by making porting from source much easier..
    Furthermore, like BB10, it runs true native multitasking, uses a swipe/gesture driven UX (think cross pollination of ideas) and regardless of your brand preference, competition in the marketplace drives change and innovation.

When was the last time you actually tweeted one of the team heads at Blackberry (or the CEO or CIO or Head of sftware development) and got a response? These guys and girls are 100% down to earth and committed to listening and responding to the community. try for yourself.

I'm happily using my Z10 right now (well it's actually on charge thanks to linkdin killing the battery in two hours), but have already committed to buying the handset, if only to support the idea of openness and inclusiveness that Jolla represent, let alone the beautiful hardware, Os and UI.
    If you support the idea of open source, open governance and development (Mer project) upon which Sailfish is based, there's nothing lost from supporting these guys. Helping them also helps us as BB users, by nature of the fact that it furthers the presence of Qt in the mobile space.
    it's another wedge in the iOS and android dominance of the marketplace as well.

also Alien Dalvik seems to be a much better solution for optimal performance, than the current clunky android player that we have with b10

They are offering a range of "pre-order" options at join.jolla.com including a no $ sign up, which in effect is nothing more than expression of interest and support in the company and it's goals. take a look and give it fair consideration.
    just my .02c
    Thunderbuck and Mecca EL like this.
    05-22-13 01:06 AM
    @onethreealpha

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, it's an interesting project, but its Android implementation doesn't necessarily sound better than BB's at this point, and I'm skeptical that Google will certify them to participate in the Play store. Where does that leave their ecosystem?
    anon(4320318) likes this.
    05-22-13 01:19 AM
    Here's the interesting point. Alien Dalvik is an unknown entity, however, i would be surprised to find Jolla stating native speed and performance without being able to back it up as they're too small and have too much hinging on success to tell a lie at this stage (better if they said nothing in that case, and let people think it worked). there's also the issue of libhybris. It's focus is on android HW driver adaptation in a glibc environment, i would think this will also play a part in the overall performance factor...

the best part comes with the focus and push into china. Most people fail to recognise that Google's play store is essentially non existent in the scheme of things in china. the vast majority of android apps installed, come from third party vendors. Also don't forget amazon as a player here. Nothing has been said, but they have their own android app store and don;t care who connects to it!
    Jolla have assured us that application availability for the android side will be well and truly taken care of (you can see the market apps at the bottom of the scrolling UI screen in a number of the online videos)
    as for native apps, there will also be provisioning for this. A large number of Maemo, MeeGo-Harmattan and Meego (as well as some symbian Qt) apps are already built and being worked on, in fact the first harmattan app was ported less than 30 mins after the release of the SDK! that is itself a testament to the enthusiasm of the dev community around this OS.
    I know i sound like an evangelist (guess i am ) but I really despise the current duopoly and ANY OS that is decent and has a chance of breaking this deserves everyone's support, if only to stop the pervasive intrusion on our every move and action that is currently being undertaken for the sake of advertising...
    Ubuntu can go and jump in the lake. closed up, hacked out non upstream supporting fork monster that it has become. and the mobile version is nothing more than unity sitting on top of an android kernel (itself a forked, non upstream supporting hack).
    Tizen is Samsung's baby, make no mistake about it and they already have enough market share for mine..
    05-22-13 02:31 AM
    Well, I'm with you on wanting to break the duopoly, for sure. I'm learning Cascades programming right now, and I like Qt a lot. Jolla/Sailfish seems to have a very BB10-ish design ethic to it (but I gather there's been a fair amount of cross-pollination in the developer community anyway).

I AM skeptical of the Android business model; it sounds like a license to pirate, not to mention removing a lot of incentive to develop decent native apps. But you've piqued my curiosity; I hadn't really looked into Alien Dalvik before. Time to check that out.
    05-22-13 03:21 AM
    mate, if you're developing with Cascades, i'd suggest downloading and having a play with the SailfishOs SDK.
    You can get it at https://sailfishos.org
    Builds for win/lin/mac are available and only require a working virtualbox installed. get it HERE
    check your Qt toolkit as well, because Mer/Sailfish are currently require Qt 4.8 (not 5), but if you're using windows then the Qt toolkit is bundled with the 650(ish) Mb offline installer. It doesn;t bother me becasue my Sailfish sdk is not in the same environment as my Cascades IDE
    cheers
    05-22-13 04:19 AM
    I have liked this OS ever since I saw it demonstrated on a N950. I have been following it's progress ever since.

I have always been familiar with N9 which is a great little phone that was ahead of it's time. I read recently that in Q4 2012 Nokia's second best selling phone in China was the N9. That's pretty good for a phone that launched in 2011.

Posted via CB10
    Louis Larsen likes this.
    05-22-13 04:34 AM
39 12