11-14-13 04:22 PM
    From what I can see, there are fundamental differences between Jolla and BB10, granted they're both Gesture based OS's. But don't all these fandangley phones look the same these days?
    keypad likes this.
    11-14-13 04:40 PM
    Jolla Sailfish OS is gestures on steroids
    Looks very cool! BB10 still is the OS for me, but will be trying one of those babies out!

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    11-14-13 04:49 PM
    Jolla Sailfish reminds me of BlackBerry 10 a bit due to the gesture based OS. However, there are some differences that I would love to see on BlackBerry. Actually, the active tiles being interactive on Sailfish should have been on BlackBerry 10 already. I think Bla1ze said this before, and he was correct. Just the natural evolution of the OS.
    11-14-13 05:44 PM
    Jolla has android apps store integrated with 85000 free and paid apps avaliable
    keypad likes this.
    11-15-13 01:50 AM
    It's the other way around.

BB10 looks like Jolla.

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    11-15-13 02:09 AM
    Oh, we going down this road again...

*backs out of thread slowly*
    pttptppt, Djlatino, keypad and 2 others like this.
    11-15-13 02:12 AM
    BlackBerry is similar to meego in some ways, and Jolla sailfish is created by those that made meego. So naturally there will be similarities and differences.

Posted via CB10
    keypad and Louis Larsen like this.
    11-15-13 02:38 AM
    I want a Jolla phone in the us bad!

Posted via CB10
    keypad and Louis Larsen like this.
    11-15-13 02:49 AM
    Regardless of who came first. They both seem to have taken on gesture based ui and shown the other leading mobile platforms where it is heading and that it works. There's a lot to like about both because there are similarities.

I've been watching a couple of videos of jolla lately and it looks good, shame that the people who are showing it on the vids I've seen are so boring haha

It'll be interesting to see how it goes once it's released.

If this gets raving reviews from those that have dissed BlackBerry I'm going to call them hypocrites

Ultimately, I think BlackBerry have it with their hub as well as the the way grids icons Active frames and contacts are handled with a simple swipe. I swipe up I get to my home screen. I swipe up to the right and my hub is there. Icons are all on the same plane - left to right There's a consistency with the swipe up that jolla doesn't have.

Jolla may use more transparency, blur, parallax wallpaper scrolling with smart ui colour changes but that's where it ends in their advantages. I think their active covers are interesting but surely it's harder to swipe elsewhere when those covers are also Interactive? Their pulley system while interesting isn't any better than cascades and personally bb10 shows more info in their cascades ui / overflow straight away then me Pulling down until I get to the right setting,

One thing I don't like about wp8 is how much swiping is needed to go back and forth and I sometimes get that feeling with jolla. Using BlackBerry terminology, peek, flow is all just a swipe or two a way.

I love that jolla uses peeking and that they have similar multitasking where you don't have to be in the app to add stuff.

I found some of their contact decisions interesting but way to messy for my liking. BlackBerry 10 linking is great but I found I needed to work on them a little. I really think it's important to get this right because I do use my phone to link and message mates.

Could BlackBerry do with some visual cues? Perhaps but jolla goes overboard to the point that it's unnecessary. AlsoText and images a very windows phone like but this sometimes gets in the way of function.

Bb10 could work more on the icons but the unified hub is just so much more convenient And though it may not seem hip or flashy, I think where bb10 is heading we should all be pretty happy with the os.

Then again I could always pill out the virtual keyboard card if you want

In the end, I do favour BlackBerry but there's a lot to like about jolla because I get what they're trying to do with their gesture ui
    keypad likes this.
    11-15-13 03:29 AM
    Looks cool, visually better than BB10. TAT what are you doing?
    11-15-13 03:39 AM
    Blackberry have been criticized because they have old hardware but if you look at the Jolla phone it is even worse than Blackberry Z10. 1GB RAM and a 960x540 display on 4.5"!!. The processor is somewhat slower as well.
    11-15-13 03:44 AM
    From their dev, more than enough.

Meego came before bb10, bb10 learned from it and took many of its good aspects. Meego team from nokia then left and created Jolla mobile, hence you see that from slush 13 these few days (and last).

I will be getting one as soon as it's avail, already signed up for one long time ago

Posted via CB10
    Louis Larsen likes this.
    11-15-13 03:52 AM
    They may have lower hardware but if they price the phones cheap they may have a good chance in the market. BB's hardware was mediocre with the high price.

Blackberry have been criticized because they have old hardware but if you look at the Jolla phone it is even worse than Blackberry Z10. 1GB RAM and a 960x540 display on 4.5"!!. The processor is somewhat slower as well.
    11-15-13 03:53 AM
    Meh looks like the ugly Lumia brick hardware. OS seems ok the flow and design seem ok but everything in the OS seems so crammed together. Personally I wouldn't buy that phone.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.1.1055
    11-15-13 04:58 AM
    BB10 is derivative of a number of OSes, including Meego, not the other way around. There's not nearly as much innovation in BB10 as BBRY tried to hype up.

The Jolla Jolla only costs 399 EU, though. How much does the Z30 cost?

Either way, Jolla will probably fail as well; but, at the end of the day, one is a startup and the other was a former market leader in many ways the Microsoft of smartphones back in the day. Startup failures are a dime a dozen so, of course, the media will be more focused on Blackberry's failure. No one cares if no name phone from a company we never heard about does not take off. It's not a double standard. Jolla is not on the media's radar.

EDIT: On a complete side note, is anyone bothered by how these Finns are pronouncing the name Jolla? It's "Hoy-ya"!
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 11-15-13 at 05:19 AM.
    LordDraco and msps like this.
    11-15-13 05:06 AM
    BB10 is derivative of a number of OSes, including Meego, not the other way around. There's not nearly as much innovation in BB10 as BBRY tried to hype up.

The Jolla Jolla only costs 399 EU, though. How much does the Z30 cost?

Either way, Jolla will probably fail as well; but, at the end of the day, one is a startup and the other was a former market leader in many ways the Microsoft of smartphones back in the day. Startup failures are a dime a dozen so, of course, the media will be more focused on Blackberry's failure. No one cares if no name phone from a company we never heard about does not take off. It's not a double standard. Jolla is not on the media's radar.

EDIT: On a complete side note, is anyone bothered by how these Finns are pronouncing the name Jolla? It's "Hoy-ya"!
    I don't want Jolla to fail because we need competition. Jolla is supposed to use Nokia Maps and that's enough reason for me to buy that phone if the price is right.
    Louis Larsen likes this.
    11-15-13 05:29 AM
    If this gets raving reviews from those that have dissed BlackBerry I'm going to call them hypocrites
    Why?

It is (edit: it used to be) to expect more from BlackBerry than a small startup.

BlackBerry when started with BB10 had approximately 10 000 employees.

Jolla has 80 employees.
    That's Eigh-Zero (a single zero)

They've created an OS in many ways better than BB10.

They deserve a lot of respect.

PS. Jolla is pronounced YOLA
    11-15-13 05:36 AM
    Jolla has a very good start and it's gesture based os seems really good. Personally I like the pulley menu and option to control things outside the app.

Of course, it has its flaws. And blackberry have its pro advantages too
    Both are great

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 05:37 AM
    Why?

It is (edit: it used to be) to expect more from BlackBerry than a small startup.

BlackBerry when started with BB10 had approximately 10 000 employees.

Jolla has 80 employees.
    That's Eigh-Zero (a single zero)

They've created an OS in many ways better than BB10.

They deserve a lot of respect.

PS. Jolla is pronounced YOLA
    This is misinformation.
    Jolla takes a HUGE chunk from MeeGo...which was in development by Nokia for years. Nokia has/had more employees than BlackBerry.

It's easy to churn out an OS when huge parts of the Codebase and UI had already been done by other teams.
    11-15-13 05:41 AM
    Oh, we going down this round again...

*backs out of thread slowly*
    Hang on, let me grab my hat and my coffee... I'm right behind you
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-15-13 05:45 AM
    This is misinformation.
    Jolla takes a HUGE chunk from MeeGo...which was in development by Nokia for years. Nokia has/had more employees than BlackBerry.

It's easy to churn out an OS when huge parts of the Codebase and UI had already been done by other teams.
    BlackBerry took a huge chunk from QNX

Plus Jolla gives back what they took Sailfish OS is open source
    11-15-13 06:24 AM
    Regardless of who came first. They both seem to have taken on gesture based ui and shown the other leading mobile platforms where it is heading and that it works. There's a lot to like about both because there are similarities.

I've been watching a couple of videos of jolla lately and it looks good, shame that the people who are showing it on the vids I've seen are so boring haha

It'll be interesting to see how it goes once it's released.

Ultimately, I think BlackBerry have it with their hub as well as the the way grids icons Active frames and contacts are handled with a simple swipe. I swipe up I get to my home screen. I swipe up to the right and my hub is there. Icons are all on the same plane - left to right There's a consistency with the swipe up that jolla doesn't have.

Jolla may use more transparency, blur, parallax wallpaper scrolling with smart ui colour changes but that's where it ends in their advantages. I think their active covers are interesting but surely it's harder to swipe elsewhere when those covers are also Interactive? Their pulley system while interesting isn't any better than cascades and personally bb10 shows more info in their cascades ui / overflow straight away then me Pulling down until I get to the right setting,

One thing I don't like about wp8 is how much swiping is needed to go back and forth and I sometimes get that feeling with jolla. Using BlackBerry terminology, peek, flow is all just a swipe or two a way.

I love that jolla uses peeking and that they have similar multitasking where you don't have to be in the app to add stuff.

I found some of their contact decisions interesting but way to messy for my liking. BlackBerry 10 linking is great but I found I needed to work on them a little. I really think it's important to get this right because I do use my phone to link and message mates.

Could BlackBerry do with some visual cues? Perhaps but jolla goes overboard to the point that it's unnecessary. AlsoText and images a very windows phone like but this sometimes gets in the way of function.

Bb10 could work more on the icons but the unified hub is just so much more convenient And though it may not seem hip or flashy, I think where bb10 is heading we should all be pretty happy with the os.

Then again I could always pill out the virtual keyboard card if you want

In the end, I do favour BlackBerry but there's a lot to like about jolla because I get what they're trying to do with their gesture ui
    For being hard to do things in the active cover, it is possible and should be easy because the app list requires swiping down while doing things from the app active cover required swiping left and right.

But well said and I agree mostly with you.

Ps. Almost got a Jolla but did not. Now with a z30

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:43 AM
    I don't want Jolla to fail because we need competition. Jolla is supposed to use Nokia Maps and that's enough reason for me to buy that phone if the price is right.
    I don't think Jolla will fail. It has sold in more than 135 countries, 80 000 plus pre orders.

Anyway both BlackBerry and Jolla are awesome

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 06:45 AM
    Edit (double post)
    Last edited by msps; 11-15-13 at 10:37 AM.
    Nature Slice likes this.
    11-15-13 07:04 AM
36 12