Just came across the wire. He's leaving to become VP of Product Development for Gemcom Software International Inc.

Senior Research In Motion Executive John Vandermay Joins Gemcom as Vice President of Product Development - MarketWatch

Senior Research In Motion Executive John Vandermay Joins Gemcom as Vice President of Product Development

Executive to Play Key Role in Driving Technological Software Innovation in Mining Industry

Gemcom Software International Inc., the largest global supplier of mining software solutions, today announced that John Vandermay has joined the Company as vice president of product development. Mr. Vandermay has more than 25 years of software engineering, development and leadership experience with technology companies. He comes to Gemcom from Research In Motion (RIM), a global leader in wireless innovation.

"We are delighted to welcome John to the Gemcom family," said Rick Moignard, Gemcom's president and CEO. "His expertise in driving innovative, high quality solutions aligns perfectly with Gemcom's proven track record of delivering compelling software for mining. At Gemcom, he will play a central role in helping us continue to deliver market-leading technologies which address today's toughest mining challenges, including the growing skills shortage."

While vice president of BlackBerry Enterprise Server Software with RIM, Mr. Vandermay led a team of over 400 software developers and testers responsible for BlackBerry Enterprise Server and Development Services for numerous other products. Prior to this, Mr. Vandermay held positions as senior vice president of software engineering at Fusion-io Inc., vice president of worldwide engineering at Omniture (now a business unit within Adobe Systems), and vice president of platform development at Cognos.

"I'm looking forward to helping the mining industry improve their operational efficiency through the application of new and highly innovative software solutions," said Mr. Vandermay. "The mining industry is incredibly dynamic and Gemcom's ability to demonstrate sustained thought leadership and introduce ground breaking technical innovation is very exciting. I'm pleased to be working with this disciplined and pioneering leadership team to expand Gemcom's already profound market-leadership position."

About Gemcom

When mining companies seek to increase mine productivity, they turn to Gemcom for technology and services. The Company is home to world-renowned mining solutions like GEMS, Surpac, Minex, Whittle, and InSite, and to industry thought leaders who are pushing the boundaries of what's possible in mining. Established in 1985, Gemcom has a global reach delivering comprehensive solutions in all major mining centres in more than 130 countries. Every major mining company, including BHP Billiton, Codelco, De Beers, Newmont and Vale is a Gemcom client. Through a combination of organic growth and strategic acquisitions, the Company has become the largest global supplier of mining software solutions. For more information, visit Mining Software and Services | Gemcom.
    09-13-11 02:35 PM
    There goes another one..

Not sure if it's good or bad...but for some reason folks are punching out.

(someone will come in and say "folks do this at this type of company")

Hope the shake up is for the good of RIM and not that folks are bailing on RIM.

Tim
    09-13-11 04:15 PM
    I wish him the best.

I hope that his replacement is up for the task of QNX integration into BES.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-13-11 04:46 PM
    More like BES into QNX.....seems that would be an easier mix....lots of issues with QNX into BES maybe wiser to go the other way.......rumor of the "Colt" not being able to use BES.

IMHO before you all start jumping on me.....
    09-13-11 05:10 PM
    More like BES into QNX.....seems that would be an easier mix....lots of issues with QNX into BES maybe wiser to go the other way.......rumor of the "Colt" not being able to use BES.

IMHO before you all start jumping on me.....
    Well that depends
    IMO I would like to know that RIM believes in QNX so much that the core of the BES software is written with QNX as the foundation, and inturn the QNX BES would support QNX enabled BlackBerry's as well as legacy OS4, 5, 6, 7 devices.

One would also need to be building the reverse whilst doing so, but as a VP you are more over seeing projects and time lines then doing the work so the exact method termed here isn't as relevant as the fact QNX devices need to work with BES infrastucture.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 05:55 PM
    How do we know he just left Rim. He could have left months ago and now has
    found a new job
    09-13-11 06:43 PM
    Actually after thinking about it, the most likely scenario was that when Rim decided they were going to let people go, many employees including some executives started looking for new jobs. That would explain why there were more resignations in the past 2 months.
    09-13-11 07:32 PM
    How do we know he just left Rim. He could have left months ago and now has
    found a new job
    Becuase according to his LinkedIn profile and other online profiles he was still at RIM as of yesterday morning.
    09-14-11 09:11 AM
    I think a lot of these guys were probably told to look for new jobs and allowed to resign instead of being canned.

we see all these people "jumping ship" ... but the ship may have docked and told a few people it was time to get off.
    09-14-11 03:48 PM
    The worst thing to happen to an experienced executive is to be fired. It is so hard to find a job then. That is why a lot of these experienced guys tend to jump ship as soon as they realize the company will be downsizing.
    At the new job, there is a plenty of time to settle in.

I guess you have to protect your income. Stock options don't really matter much at Rim after the drop this year, unfortunately.
    09-14-11 04:50 PM
    Wasn't this in another thread below this one?

09-14-11 06:04 PM
    Well that depends
    IMO I would like to know that RIM believes in QNX so much that the core of the BES software is written with QNX as the foundation, and inturn the QNX BES would support QNX enabled BlackBerry's as well as legacy OS4, 5, 6, 7 devices.

One would also need to be building the reverse whilst doing so, but as a VP you are more over seeing projects and time lines then doing the work so the exact method termed here isn't as relevant as the fact QNX devices need to work with BES infrastucture.

BES runs on Windows servers. Are you implying that the next BES may instead run on QNX? Or can elements of QNX be applied to a Windows application such as BES? With everything going to virtual machines, now would probably be a good time for them to spin up a virtual BES server that is actually QNX. I like the idea of that, but I can see how that might be problematic for some smaller companies that haven't done virtualization.
    09-15-11 08:50 PM
    Isn't the rumor that the QNX phone will only have ActiveSync and not BES?
    09-16-11 12:29 AM
    Sounds he will have carriage of designing highly specialized software for the mining industry. Wonder whether he will be building on BB platforms -- that will certainly be a choice available to him. It would be great to see the PB become the standard business tablet in an industry like the mining industry. How about an exit interview for the blog, Crackberry?
    09-20-11 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD