So if you were John Chen and were planning to release a low cost handset into the western markets this summer, would you:

1. Release the 4g LTE version Of the Z3? ($200 or less)

2. Release a physical Qwerty keypad version of the Z3? (�250 or less)

Or

3. Release the rerun Bold 9900 for under $|� 200.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 05:24 AM
    Thats technically correct. But its john chen's decision to keep the Z3 going. JC's management cancelled many devices. BlackBerry kopi is an example.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    Depends how advanced in production it was, but I don't think we'll ever find out. I guess if it fails they'll blame it on Thor, if it's a success Chen will take the glory

#believeinfilm
    04-07-14 05:51 AM
    Depends how advanced in production it was, but I don't think we'll ever find out. I guess if it fails they'll blame it on Thor, if it's a success Chen will take the glory

#believeinfilm
    Pretty sure BlackBerry kopi was ahead interms of production readiness, just look at the pictures leaked recently. Its a good call not releasing kopi only because they will lower the Q5 price, in the end they were too similar.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-07-14 05:55 AM
    I think BlackBerry need to make a turn around with a unique porsche design phone. Highest specs they can stuff into it, keep the price the same as the current porsche. Advertise it. The rich will buy. Oh and the UI has to look a lot more slick and "exclusive".

That's the turn around device imo. Because if someone sees a porsche design people will be going crazy over it and it'll have the domino effect. People will take a look at BlackBerry and maybe even try their products. We. Need. Porsche. Design. And not at an unbuyable price. Just at an exclusive one.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende and keypad like this.
    04-07-14 06:12 AM
    I hope the mods will not flag up this link as it is relevant to the conversation on this thread, and to a point I made earlier about BlackBerry competing in hardware, when others, such as HTC as producing great products but still struggling to gain market share.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26922839

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-07-14 06:13 AM
    It should also have a way updated OS and should have like an IPS display at 1080 or 1440p, quad or octa 64 bit, 3 gigs of RAM, 4.7 inches.

And the design has to be pure sexy, made out of expensive metals. Advertise a little and people will be drawn back into the company because of the "sexy" phone. The problem is not the products, but trying to get people to take a look at those products. I think this could be a game changer. Very risky though.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 06:15 AM
    I think BlackBerry need to make a turn around with a unique porsche design phone. Highest specs they can stuff into it, keep the price the same as the current porsche. Advertise it. The rich will buy. Oh and the UI has to look a lot more slick and "exclusive".

That's the turn around device imo. Because if someone sees a porsche design people will be going crazy over it and it'll have the domino effect. People will take a look at BlackBerry and maybe even try their products. We. Need. Porsche. Design. And not at an unbuyable price. Just at an exclusive one.

Posted via CB10

Great point.

04-07-14 06:16 AM
    It should also have a way updated OS and should have like an IPS display at 1080 or 1440p, quad or octa 64 bit, 3 gigs of RAM, 4.7 inches.

And the design has to be pure sexy, made out of expensive metals. Advertise a little and people will be drawn back into the company because of the "sexy" phone. The problem is not the products, but trying to get people to take a look at those products. I think this could be a game changer. Very risky though.

Posted via CB10

Don't forget that sexy physical Qwerty keypad.

Then you effectively have, a Q30 aka Windermere

04-07-14 06:19 AM
    Don't forget that sexy physical Qwerty keypad.

Then you effectively have, a Q30 aka Windermere

The problem with the keypad is it'll ruin the sexyness in a lot of people's eyes. Even if they find the phone sexy and all, it'll always remind them of the "old BlackBerry" - and we don't want that. However, maybe they could release two porsche designs? JC, listen up please <3

Posted via CB10
    keypad likes this.
    04-07-14 07:02 AM
    The problem with the keypad is it'll ruin the sexyness in a lot of people's eyes. Even if they find the phone sexy and all, it'll always remind them of the "old BlackBerry" - and we don't want that. However, maybe they could release two porsche designs? JC, listen up please <3

Posted via CB10
    You might be surprised that there are quite a lot of people out there who find the keypads sexy. Always remember people's taste vary.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-07-14 07:29 AM
    There is no turnaround device, just a turnaround strategy. eg. Blackberry starts rolling out multiple OS devices, or/and starts giving devices for free to business that licence their MDM, or/and they shift to just Android, embedding QNX inside Android (for corporate users) instead embedding Android into QNX...
    I don't say Jakarta will flop, I don't know that and I would like it to succeed , but low cost league is crowded with some really good devices which are running on the same rich ecosystems as their high-end cousins. I don't see place for Jakarta or Q20 or any other new Blackberry phone while Blackberry doesn't fix its App store, API and services, or it doesn't fix Android compatibility to the point where 90% of Android apps are working like native apps, including system apps like profile managers, calling white/black lists etc (simply stuff that doesn't work now because system limitations). And, if they manage to achieve full Android compatibility, they would have to create rich Android app store with tested apps. Until then, any newly released Blackberry device will probably flop because it doesn't have anything new to offer, and current Blackberry offer is not interesting for mass market.
    04-07-14 07:59 AM
    There is no turnaround device, just a turnaround strategy. eg. Blackberry starts rolling out multiple OS devices, or/and starts giving devices for free to business that licence their MDM, or/and they shift to just Android, embedding QNX inside Android (for corporate users) instead embedding Android into QNX...
    I don't say Jakarta will flop, I don't know that and I would like it to succeed , but low cost league is crowded with some really good devices which are running on the same rich ecosystems as their high-end cousins. I don't see place for Jakarta or Q20 or any other new Blackberry phone while Blackberry doesn't fix its App store, API and services, or it doesn't fix Android compatibility to the point where 90% of Android apps are working like native apps, including system apps like profile managers, calling white/black lists etc (simply stuff that doesn't work now because system limitations). And, if they manage to achieve full Android compatibility, they would have to create rich Android app store with tested apps. Until then, any newly released Blackberry device will probably flop because it doesn't have anything new to offer, and current Blackberry offer is not interesting for mass market.
    Just curious which mass market are you referring to; the emerging market or the North American and European market? These markets are very different so something that flies in one may not do so in the other. IMHO I think they stand a very good chance in the emerging markets with the Z3.
    04-07-14 08:13 AM
    I'm not aiming at any specific market, developed or in development. I'm only looking at devices present on any given market where Blackberry is planning to release Jakarta. OK, I understand that currently Blackberry doesn't have low cost device to offer as an option for cheap Android or WP8 and that probably, to some extent, there is a place for BB10 device in every market segment. But, I want to say that in every market segment customers have same expectations from devices they are buying. Today, you don't get large gap( feature vise ) between cheap Android and expensive Android devices. All of them share same ecosystem so people with 100 EUR Android devices have access to the same apps as those with 600 EUR devices. Its logical to assume that low cost Blackberry device will not have different fate from high end Blackberry devices already beaten by two richer ecosystems. (not counting Apple, they have only expensive devices)
    04-07-14 08:31 AM
    To be honest Chen has a good strategy pushing for emerging markets with the z3 and trying to get bbos users on board with the q20, but much like the Leafs playoff chances this year, Blackberry might be far too gone to pull through

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 08:49 AM
    IMO, No single turnaround device, its a "Conscious Uncoupling" of the old RIM, The Thor BB to the Chen BB..... lol. Chen has gone on the offensive with multiple fronts. Shedding un-supportive carriers and outsourcing mass market product production to Fox Conn have been a long time coming.

Nice work JC
    04-07-14 08:58 AM
    I have a feeling that the statement is quite elitist, and discriminatory in some way.

Posted via CB on BB10
    I will take back my comment . The Nokia 625 that sells for $200 here in Canada has a similar PPI.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    04-07-14 09:09 AM
    The low end Z3 with its slick, big screen and sporting the BB10 will please those who want a "HOT" & "FUN" touch screen BlackBerry
    There's nothing hot and fun about the Z3. It'll be a basic prepaid option or a cheap replacement device.
    04-07-14 09:11 AM
    I'm not aiming at any specific market, developed or in development. I'm only looking at devices present on any given market where Blackberry is planning to release Jakarta. OK, I understand that currently Blackberry doesn't have low cost device to offer as an option for cheap Android or WP8 and that probably, to some extent, there is a place for BB10 device in every market segment. But, I want to say that in every market segment customers have same expectations from devices they are buying. Today, you don't get large gap( feature vise ) between cheap Android and expensive Android devices. All of them share same ecosystem so people with 100 EUR Android devices have access to the same apps as those with 600 EUR devices. Its logical to assume that low cost Blackberry device will not have different fate from high end Blackberry devices already beaten by two richer ecosystems. (not counting Apple, they have only expensive devices)
    Regardless on what you have just said, the dynamics of the market in Indonesia, India, Nigeria etc are very different from the North American market dynamics. For instance, in some of these emerging market good battery longevity could be the sole determinant factor for a buyer due to unreliable electricity. I can go on with many other determinant factors that are very important for a mobile phone consumer in the emerging markets that doesn't mean a thing for consumer in North America.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-07-14 09:22 AM
    There's nothing hot and fun about the Z3. It'll be a basic prepaid option or a cheap replacement device.
    Are you talking about people in the emerging market?
    04-07-14 09:23 AM
    Regardless on what you have just said, the dynamics of the market in Indonesia, India, Nigeria etc are very different from the North American market dynamics. For instance, in some of these emerging market good battery longevity could be the sole determinant factor for a buyer due to unreliable electricity. I can go on with many other determinant factors that are very important for a mobile phone consumer in the emerging markets that doesn't mean a thing for consumer in North America.
    What I can add is, many carriers here can't even do 'subsidized' market correctly! ha ha ha!

Its too long winded to give an example, but the savings are so marginally minimal, no matter how you look at it, its designed to only make you pay MORE upfront, and MORE in the long run.

But its always funny to see iPhone users getting locked into the scheme.

1) They pay at least RM2500 for device, but inflated over the price.
    2) they also pay for a "special iphone data and call plan", which is also ludicrous.
    3) ends up paying a total amount of RM8000 over the cost of 2 years. That's RM6000 (or RM250 monthly) when the gross average is that you can squeeze more value on a non-lock-in-plan, and you can still buy an iphone cheaper.

the way carriers do their so called subsidized market is ridiculously...erm... worded to be "daylight robbery".
    04-07-14 09:32 AM
    John Chen / Blackberrys turn around winning strategy, will not be in devices at all.

It will be in services.

1. BYOD

2. BBM

3. BBM Money

4. QNX embedded services

5. BB10.3

Consumer Hardware for BlackBerry is a dead end Road.

Apple, Samsung, Nokia etc etc etc, have this market sewn up.

But after all is said and done, I still want a BlackBerry Q30 or the Blackberry Classic and that will not change.

I hope they make it to market.

Posted via CB10
    You do realize nokia was irrelevant before they started working on windows phones, right? If nokia can turn things around then why not bb? There's no reason why BB can't stop making dumb decisions and start making smart ones.
    04-07-14 09:45 AM
    You do realize nokia was irrelevant before they started working on windows phones, right? If nokia can turn things around then why not bb? There's no reason why BB can't stop making dumb decisions and start making smart ones.
    Turn it around? They have done what ever mobile OEM who makes two quarterly losses in a row has done - pull out or sell-off/bought out.
    04-07-14 09:48 AM
    Are you talking about people in the emerging market?
    Sorry, I mean if it makes it to the North American market
    wincyUt likes this.
    04-07-14 09:55 AM
    You might be surprised that there are quite a lot of people out there who find the keypads sexy. Always remember people's taste vary.
    SEXY?

Functional...yeah. But Sexy - I know it's all about the "touch", but I don't think someone using Q10 over a Z10 makes anyone more or less sexy.

Afraid that while there are a LOT of people (especially here on CrackBerry - imaging that) that are very attached to their keyboards, in the grand scheme of things it has been proven that the majority of people would rather have a larger full time screen than the smaller screen a keyboard device requires.

As to the topic - no the Z3 nor the Q20 are really going to suddenly make a huge impact. Because they aren't really all that different from the predecessors that have all ready failed. They'll be new, but they don't address all of the reasons that BB10 devices have been failing to catch on with consumers. (never mind that the Z10 is dirt cheap already)

Now maybe if they were to be launched with an announcement about full Google Play access. Along with a MAJOR marketing campaign to announce that BlackBerry isn't out of business, as well as all of the new features of BB10.2.1 (or better 10.3). And too that BlackBerry was bringing back BIS capabilities to BB10. Then sure they would have a shot!

But just releasing a couple of devices that will be cheaper than the ones you already have, but not cheaper than your competition? You are assuming that price was the only thing keeping customers from buying. And I'm afraid that assumption is going to bite you in the.....
    Drew808 likes this.
    04-07-14 09:56 AM
    SEXY?

Functional...yeah. But Sexy - I know it's all about the "touch", but I don't think someone using Q10 over a Z10 makes anyone more or less sexy.

Afraid that while there are a LOT of people (especially here on CrackBerry - imaging that) that are very attached to their keyboards, in the grand scheme of things it has been proven that the majority of people would rather have a larger full time screen than the smaller screen a keyboard device requires.

As to the topic - no the Z3 nor the Q20 are really going to suddenly make a huge impact. Because they aren't really all that different from the predecessors that have all ready failed. They'll be new, but they don't address all of the reasons that BB10 devices have been failing to catch on with consumers. (never mind that the Z10 is dirt cheap already)

Now maybe if they were to be launched with an announcement about full Google Play access. Along with a MAJOR marketing campaign to announce that BlackBerry isn't out of business, as well as all of the new features of BB10.2.1 (or better 10.3). And too that BlackBerry was bringing back BIS capabilities to BB10. Then sure they would have a shot!

But just releasing a couple of devices that will be cheaper than the ones you already have, but not cheaper than your competition? You are assuming that price was the only thing keeping customers from buying. And I'm afraid that assumption is going to bite you in the.....

I'm intrigued that how money spent on telling the world you aren't dead, then that gets reflected in the bill, in the earnings call, and somehow its supposed to save the company?

For a doom and gloom sayer, your method of rescuing the company actually has a higher risk of sending it into a gloomer and (for sure) doom-er situation?
    04-07-14 09:59 AM
311 ... 678910 ...