I completely agree but it's not about using the features. It's about wowing customers. I remember seeing those features and thinking they were cool and remembering the device just because of those. I bought a galaxy note 10.1 and never used them but they forced me to remember Galaxy devices.
    Wowing customers is one thing, but I think i'll quote the guy who wrote "tipping point" (a great book by the way)

I think in the case of the user experience, it has to be 'sticky'. I think people can generally attest to BlackBerry's keyboard experience (both the physical and virtual ) as being something that stood out and something that will be very liked and prefer to have even on non-BB platforms.

Others? Not sure (although the hub, and swipe up to close is really 'sticky' for me)
    04-08-14 08:28 AM
    Others? Not sure (although the hub, and swipe up to close is really 'sticky' for me)
    Agreed, same here. Problem is I think that there aren't that many users out there who appreciate this at all I guess. I personally always pledge for this fast one handed ease of use. But then I look around me and see many people holding their phone with one hand, navigating it with the pointer of the other. They wouldn't even notice.
    04-08-14 08:33 AM
    Wowing customers is one thing, but I think i'll quote the guy who wrote "tipping point" (a great book by the way)

I think in the case of the user experience, it has to be 'sticky'. I think people can generally attest to BlackBerry's keyboard experience (both the physical and virtual ) as being something that stood out and something that will be very liked and prefer to have even on non-BB platforms.

That is a really great book, As is outliers.

Again though, I agree but I think i'm looking at it from a marketing standpoint. I think the software is already good but we have none of those random/cool/useless features. Most people don't even understand that BlackBerry has a new operating system. So I think just to get the public educated, we need the features that just catch attention. I think product knowledge should be #1 on BlackBerry's list right now.
    04-08-14 08:47 AM
    That is a really great book, As is outliers.

Again though, I agree but I think i'm looking at it from a marketing standpoint. I think the software is already good but we have none of those random/cool/useless features. Most people don't even understand that BlackBerry has a new operating system. So I think just to get the public educated, we need the features that just catch attention. I think product knowledge should be #1 on BlackBerry's list right now.
    Again, its not at the tipping point. Inertia and momentum are very strange forces if you try to go against it.

In the case of BlackBerry however, I think there are other "sticky" things that needs to be revealed. Some are there, in the sense that its easy to use, but its not sticky enough. I think there are room enough to formulate more "sticky" stuffs. Let's just hope it really sticks.
    04-08-14 08:50 AM
    Again, its not at the tipping point. Inertia and momentum are very strange forces if you try to go against it.

In the case of BlackBerry however, I think there are other "sticky" things that needs to be revealed. Some are there, in the sense that its easy to use, but its not sticky enough. I think there are room enough to formulate more "sticky" stuffs. Let's just hope it really sticks.
    Well.. I hope Chen can make the sticky stuff stick.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-08-14 08:51 AM
    1. I think BB10 is very sticky but not enough hands have touched it.

2. You need a bait to attract people to touch it.

3. Now the majority of the smart phone users are android users, and Android users/bloggers use specs as their language.

4. You need to use their language (a popular one BTW, regardless correct or not) to speak to them.

5. You need a high spec'ed flagship device.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    kbz1960 and anon(4185604) like this.
    04-08-14 10:16 AM
    That's exactly the point. Android (especially 4.4), iOS7, and WP8 run absolutely fine on 1GB.
    Again the dev alpha device was 1gb and it ran well but move ahead a bit and when they start to add more and more stuff to the os, the lag will make it unbearable.

Doesn't the iPhone 4&4s have 1gb? Might be wrong but those things lag like crap on ios7

From zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    04-08-14 10:35 AM

3. Now the majority of the smart phone users are android users, and Android users/bloggers use specs as their language.

4. You need to use their language (a popular one BTW, regardless correct or not) to speak to them.

I totally agree with your #4 suggestion
    04-08-14 10:45 AM

Eloquently put but besides RAM, BB10 doesnt seem to be as hardware heavy as android.

Only reason we need min 1.5 GB of RAM is because of the android runtime.

So isnt it a waste of resources to give the BB10 super specs when it doesnt need it? Also that means more expensive components which means money which in turn mean more risk for BlackBerry.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-08-14 04:19 PM
    Eloquently put but besides RAM, BB10 doesnt seem to be as hardware heavy as android.

Only reason we need min 1.5 GB of RAM is because of the android runtime.

So isnt it a waste of resources to give the BB10 super specs when it doesnt need it? Also that means more expensive components which means money which in turn mean more risk for BlackBerry.

Often in business "it takes money to make money". Something has to give before BlackBerry can break out this funk, wouldn't you agree?
    04-08-14 04:44 PM
    Seems a little flawed when Android 4.4 can run on only 512 MB of RAM (Samsung just announced a handset with these specs). What is the lowest amount of RAM on a BB10 handset again????
    You do realise BB10 basically emulates 2 different operating systems at 1 time right?

Anyways the Z3 has only 1.5 gigs of ram.

I think BB10's ram requirement will go down in time due to development.

04-08-14 04:47 PM
    Often in business "it takes money to make money". Something has to give before BlackBerry can break out this funk, wouldn't you agree?
    True that but I think that same money should go into a true innovation rather than specs. Eg. Gestureable keyboard tech.

The new HTC has super specs and its NOT selling well.

Bbnivende likes this.
    04-08-14 04:50 PM
    True that but I think that same money should go into a true innovation rather than specs. Eg. Gestureable keyboard tech.

The new HTC has super specs and its NOT selling well.

I don't dispute that either. But whatever BlackBerry does, it must effectively attract other consumers from the Android platform.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 05:21 PM
    The HTC One M8 has been out for a week or so, do you have any sales data links?
    The M7 didnt do well besides having great specs at launch last year.

If the M8 did a lot better we would have heard of it no?

Nokia X for example has 1 million pre orders in china alone but this is a low end phone

The samsung galaxy S4 didn't sell as well as samsung expected and I dont think the S5 will beat any record either. And if you look at the specs for the brand new samsung is it a revolution from the S4? I think not.

High end phones have reached the point of saturation:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://m...hVH5N0sqeHR1Cg

Dave Bourque likes this.
    04-08-14 06:19 PM
    HTC doesn't have any stickiness in their products. So even though they can get great reviews from blogers, they lose customers easily to the next big thing.

BlackBerry 10 is different. It sticks. Specs will help BlackBerry to improve their exposure, but the OS will help to keep them.

04-08-14 07:54 PM
    HTC doesn't have any stickiness in their products. So even though they can get great reviews from blogers, they lose customers easily to the next big thing.

BlackBerry 10 is different. It sticks. Specs will help BlackBerry to improve their exposure, but the OS will help to keep them.

Sticks for sure. People can't leave the hub and the flow gestures.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-08-14 08:03 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    You must mean they can't leave it after using the phone for a while, right?
    04-08-14 08:26 PM
    U know wat would be a future phone for BlackBerry???? A BlackBerry Sidekick. Tell me that wouldn't me dope? Ahaha. So far I've asked 30 people. Everyone except 3 people said they would buy it.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 08:39 PM
    Unfortunately, as history reveals, those (or very similar) features did not save mobile platforms from extinction before.
    04-08-14 08:42 PM
    U know wat would be a future phone for BlackBerry???? A BlackBerry Sidekick. Tell me that wouldn't me dope? Ahaha. So far I've asked 30 people. Everyone except 3 people said they would buy it.

Posted via CB10
    What does a BlackBerry Sidekick look like?
    04-08-14 08:55 PM
    You must mean they can't leave it after using the phone for a while, right?
    Yes

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-08-14 08:56 PM
    Unfortunately, as history reveals, those (or very similar) features did not save mobile platforms from extinction before.
    If you can find a alternative to BB10 show me.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-08-14 08:57 PM
    If you can find a alternative to BB10 show me.
    As far as the two features you mentioned as well as the overall UI/UX are concerned, Meego and webOS. Both extinct.
    04-08-14 09:04 PM
    As far as the two features you mentioned as well as the overall UI/UX are concerned, Meego and webOS. Both extinct.
    BlackBerry have a opportunity with BB10. Just because it failed at launch doesn't mean it can't still succeed.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-08-14 09:29 PM
    BlackBerry have a opportunity with BB10. Just because it failed at launch doesn't mean it can't still succeed.
    May the Force be with BlackBerry.

But how is this relevant to what we were talking about? I thought you implied that Hub and Flow are addictive enough to make them super appealing to consumers. My point is that there have been platforms with similar features already and those features alone couldn't save those platforms.
    04-08-14 09:33 PM
311 ... 910111213