Blackberry will sell more than 10 million of these phones by end of this year and will make a comeback. It is Google playstore plus the security of blackberry. People outside the US have a lot of love for Blackberry where they have not been brainwashed by the American govt. BBM is the best thing that happened to messaging. WhatsApp, iMessage, Voxer, Skype, Google chat don't hold a candle to BBM. Also we have docs2go which is much better than office or iWorks or google docs. Just saying...
    I think its better off to say that BlackBerry can deliver a better IM messaging experience combined against other platforms per-se, on a vis-a-vis other platforms trying to do the same thing.
    04-07-14 10:28 AM
    Blackberry will sell more than 10 million of these phones by end of this year and will make a comeback. It is Google playstore plus the security of blackberry.
    Em.. no?

People outside the US have a lot of love for Blackberry where they have not been brainwashed by the American govt. BBM is the best thing that happened to messaging. WhatsApp, iMessage, Voxer, Skype, Google chat don't hold a candle to BBM.
    No sales evidence for that outside of maybe one or two countries.

Also we have docs2go which is much better than office or iWorks or google docs. Just saying...
    I'll debate most things but... come on... seriously?
    04-07-14 10:35 AM
    Blackberry will sell more than 10 million of these phones by end of this year and will make a comeback. It is Google playstore plus the security of blackberry. People outside the US have a lot of love for Blackberry where they have not been brainwashed by the American govt. BBM is the best thing that happened to messaging. WhatsApp, iMessage, Voxer, Skype, Google chat don't hold a candle to BBM. Also we have docs2go which is much better than office or iWorks or google docs. Just saying...
    So now it's the US government that's been turning people against blackberry? Well I tell you here in Europe market share has plummeted due to zero advertising. The quicker people stop making excuses and the company sorts their own mess out the better ..
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    04-07-14 10:38 AM
    With runtime, we have all android apps and 250,000 Blackberry Apps - so it more

People don't know what they need. Blackberry must talk about how QNX is used in nuclear reactors and cars and everything in the world. Talk about how stable and secure it is.

Office and iWorks are closed services. therefore not superior in my opinion. iWorks even on the Mac is horrible.
    QNX isn't BB10 - no normal consumer cares that QNX runs a nuclear reactor.
    Bbnivende and JeepBB like this.
    04-07-14 10:47 AM
    QNX isn't BB10 - no normal consumer cares that QNX runs a nuclear reactor.
    Give credits where its due.

People here have no idea that our local ATM machines run on Windows XP, but i'll give it the credits where its due.
    04-07-14 10:57 AM
    Give credits where its due.

People here have no idea that our local ATM machines run on Windows XP, but i'll give it the credits where its due.
    QNX is very good at what it does but that doesn't translate into sales for BB10 handsets - it's the sort of nerdy techy detail that people here (including me) care about but no normal person does.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    04-07-14 11:12 AM
    I'm intrigued that how money spent on telling the world you aren't dead, then that gets reflected in the bill, in the earnings call, and somehow its supposed to save the company?

For a doom and gloom sayer, your method of rescuing the company actually has a higher risk of sending it into a gloomer and (for sure) doom-er situation?
    I agree they don't have the money to do this......

That's the problem they don't have the money to do the things that need to be done to sell products. Because the products they have sure don't seem to be just selling themselves very well. And a portion of the problem is the BRAND has been damaged to the point that for some just the BlackBerry name is enough to cause some consumers to move on to the next device without a second look.

They can sit back and work on BBM, BES and BB10 and improve them slowly as they have been doing. All the while time goes by and the BlackBerry brand will continue to fade from relevance with consumers, carriers, partners..... and at some point they will not have the money to even pay their engineers to improve the products anymore (or keep the lights on).

At some point some very hard decisions are going to need to be made, portions of the business that are not bring in revenues - no matter their potential will have to be dropped.

I'm just saying that the Z3 and Q20 don't really have a chance as a turn a round device(s)... they don't have the marketing that a "hit" (or flop) device in today's market normally has.
    kbz1960, Drew808 and keypad like this.
    04-07-14 11:14 AM
    .....IMO BlackBerry just needs to maintain it's current course, with Mr. Chen staying focused on the Enterprise aspect of the business. As we all know, the world is slowly realizing the importance of data privacy and security. Companies worldwide are now more concerned about this issue, as more of the population seems to be more weary of the likes of Apple, Google, and Facebook and such. Blackberry will do well with creating money flow through Enterprise long into the future if J.C. plays his cards right. With that being said, after creating a strong financial base on that premise, BlackBerry can continue to design, build and sell handsets/hardware, but at a leisure pace. Basically, producing phones not for survival or necessity, but just to keep some kind of relevance and some market share. If they stay calm and focused, they don't have to compete with the global giants of the smart phone world. They can just watch those companies battle each other until the world tires of their madness and moves on. How much longer can those titans hold a death-grip dominance on the world? Another 3, 5, 10 years into the future? In todays fast changing world its a safe bet that based on what history has already shown us, once rule today, but not forever! The Z3 appears to be an excellent low end phone for people on a budget, it doesn't need mind blowing specs, screen graphics or camera. In emerging markets, most people will be glad to have a smart phone with the look and feel that the Z3 will offer them! Remember my words, "world dominance is acquired through psychology, not through technology!" Can someone rule the Earth without technology? Of course!!!
    04-07-14 11:15 AM
    QNX is very good at what it does but that doesn't translate into sales for BB10 handsets - it's the sort of nerdy techy detail that people here (including me) care about but no normal person does.
    Sure, but a QNX DOES run a power plant, like how MSFT's Windows XP DOES run an ATM machine. Irregardless whether it translates into sales or not. Heck, I've got like what, servers running on Linux. And we all know no Linux distro have been a commercial success on desktop front that it could have toppled juggernauts like Microsoft, right? But it still gets the job done, right?

I agree they don't have the money to do this......

That's the problem they don't have the money to do the things that need to be done to sell products. Because the products they have sure don't seem to be just selling themselves very well. And a portion of the problem is the BRAND has been damaged to the point that for some just the BlackBerry name is enough to cause some consumers to move on to the next device without a second look.

They can sit back and work on BBM, BES and BB10 and improve them slowly as they have been doing. All the while time goes by and the BlackBerry brand will continue to fade from relevance with consumers, carriers, partners..... and at some point they will not have the money to even pay their engineers to improve the products anymore (or keep the lights on).

At some point some very hard decisions are going to need to be made, portions of the business that are not bring in revenues - no matter their potential will have to be dropped.

I'm just saying that the Z3 and Q20 don't really have a chance as a turn a round device(s)... they don't have the marketing that a "hit" (or flop) device in today's market normally has.
    I think you are basing your presumptions based on whatever locality you're on.

On our locality we are buzzing with BlackBerry, in fact the weirder thing is that people can convince others to prefer BlackBerry curves over iPhones and Samsung galaxy Megas and Aces / Ys.

projecting self's image of things unto others much? ( I mean, I'm seeing a very different picture here)
    04-07-14 11:24 AM
    Sure, but a QNX DOES run a power plant, like how MSFT's Windows XP DOES run an ATM machine. Irregardless whether it translates into sales or not. Heck, I've got like what, servers running on Linux. And we all know no Linux distro have been a commercial success on desktop front that it could have toppled juggernauts like Microsoft, right? But it still gets the job done, right?

On our locality we are buzzing with BlackBerry, in fact the weirder thing is that people can convince others to prefer BlackBerry curves over iPhones and Samsung galaxy Megas and Aces / Ys.

projecting self's image of things unto others much? ( I mean, I'm seeing a very different picture here)
    Its nice they are buzzing in Malaysia. Can you all carry them?
    04-07-14 11:28 AM
    Its nice they are buzzing in Malaysia. Can you all carry them?
    I cannot speak on a gloss over statement like that.

But if I'm a retailer, sentiments with the newer Nokia X is not as good as what MSFT hopes (with exception of the rabid MSFT and Nokia fanboys, who believe that the device has outsold every other Android device, but I don't know)

One of the biggest line of channels for distribution to end customers are the normal average "Joe-Handphone shops" (those who contract volumes and display them in a shop that's no larger than the size of a shipping container) are going to decide if the Z3 is worth their investment.

In regards there are 3 sentiments to be addressed

a) perception that BlackBerry can RUN ALL Android apps (always confused with the ability to run certain android apps vs run all android apps)
    b) price per phone specs / performance (at least a better value compared to Samsung device, or many other 3rd party chinese OEMs that cannot have their devices equipped with 3G radio stacks due to some mandatory rules about taxation and device classification, etc etc)
    c) revenue per item / per volume run basis. This one ties with more to B, and lesser to A, but both factors combined will push resellers into figuring out how to best milk the revenue per item. (Samsung still outpays OFFICIAL resellers compared to other manufacturers on the commision front).

Sorry, I lost my train of thought

just to tie in another point:

it also depends on how viral BlackBerry can do with their Z3. Carriers are irrelevant at this point of push (because of value over plan and time on the minimum 24 month commitment, and people don't want to get tied with a lousy device)

It will fight against few other devices, but namely Lenovo's A and S series are making some serious onslaughts here. Even the newly launched Nokia X is getting torn apart from the previous offerings (price per performance) point against the Lenovos.

BlackBerry may, or may not be able to ship in large numbers.

But assuming that BlackBerry actually makes only 10 usd per 1 Z3 sold, even if they sold 10 million units its not going to bring the company into green overnight. But it will have greater long term effect.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-07-14 11:40 AM

Possible so.... here in my part of the US there isn't much buzzing about BlackBerry.

Of course based on just about every credible sales and marketshare report along with the Earnings Report that just came out from BlackBerry themselves, I'm not sure what locality you might be referring too. But based on BlackBerry being an International company that needs sales throughout the world and in many different markets.... not sure the abnormality of your locality matters all that much in the grand scheme of the thing.

Are you getting people to "prefer" a BlackBerry Curve over those other devices, because of the device and it's capabilities (a Curve?) or is it because it is a BBOS device with BIS capabilities and the cheaper monthly plans? Because it seems like those same people are "preferring" BBOS over BB10 also, and that really isn't of long term benefit for BlackBerry.
    04-07-14 11:48 AM
    Possible so.... here in my part of the US there isn't much buzzing about BlackBerry.

Of course based on just about every credible sales and marketshare report along with the Earnings Report that just came out from BlackBerry themselves, I'm not sure what locality you might be referring too. But based on BlackBerry being an International company that needs sales throughout the world and in many different markets.... not sure the abnormality of your locality matters all that much in the grand scheme of the thing.

Are you getting people to "prefer" a BlackBerry Curve over those other devices, because of the device and it's capabilities (a Curve?) or is it because it is a BBOS device with BIS capabilities and the cheaper monthly plans? Because it seems like those same people are "preferring" BBOS over BB10 also, and that really isn't of long term benefit for BlackBerry.
    Neither. its just the price over benefits, that mathematical division / ratio thing. Not because of technical features.
    04-07-14 11:49 AM
    I live in a Latin American country, and the Z3 could sell really well under these aspects (the brand is no tarnished as it is in the US)
    1. Right price (under U$200 is good)
    2. Marketing push (people need to know on tv, radio, newspaper and internet that this device is being launched)
    3. Carrier push (make good deals with the carriers, so they can launch promotions)

It is competing with the Lumia 520-521 and the Huawei here, but for real, people prefers a BB than WP and chinese brands, they just see BB as the company that makes old qwerty phones.

About the Q20, the enterprise market is so varied, that I cant say anything about it, all the people in my Dad�s company (He is the owner) have touchscreen, so....
    04-07-14 12:00 PM
    I don't think there well be one specific turnaround device or strategy. It seems as though the Blackberry turnaround will be a comprehensive strategy that targets both phones and enterprise customers. I'm looking forward to see what happens!
    04-07-14 12:12 PM
    I don't think there well be one specific turnaround device or strategy. It seems as though the Blackberry turnaround will be a comprehensive strategy that targets both phones and enterprise customers. I'm looking forward to see what happens!
    Well the new leadership did happen to find some opportunities. What I am curious about is that if BlackBerry will attempt to have / forge a stronger partnership with SAP on the software offerings that Sybase can complement BlackBerry.

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-07-14 12:15 PM

I tend to go off published sales figures rather than my own eyes but let's accept what you say for the sake of argument - if sales are as great as you say, I guess you are at the same time admitting that sales elsewhere must be truely dire? Because if you have a small number but great success in one country must be terrible elsewhere - what else is possible?
    04-07-14 12:34 PM
    The turnaround will not be from a device.

BlackBerry hasn't really set a foot wrong, hardware-wise with the entire BB10 lineup. The devices are all great - with a few small flaws here and there.

The biggest problem is consumer uptake - if people would actually consider buying a BB10 device when they're making smartphone decisions, things would be very different. The trouble is they largely see iPhones and Androids, and their purchase is one of those.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    04-07-14 12:35 PM
    I tend to go off published sales figures rather than my own eyes but let's accept what you say for the sake of argument - if sales are as great as you say, I guess you are at the same time admitting that sales elsewhere must be truely dire? Because if you have a small number but great success in one country must be terrible elsewhere - what else is possible?
    I think this is a fair assessment. I don't have numbers nor access to them, both legally and illegally.

But one country's success cannot be used as a barometer that other country's sales as equally being successful. The same thing to say that in Indonesia there are far fewer (and I really mean far fewer) BlackBerry sells compared to the past, it does not point to the OS, irrespective of its fundamental code as better or weaker due to the monetary gain profited.

To your original quote, there are many other parallels where there are other techs or competing techs of one kind that were released in the same era, but may not be financially be an outstanding money maker despite it being to be perceived as technologically superior.

Hence, I'm only thinking that giving credit where it is due, because so and so happened, not because that a is able to do b therefore a must be c.

Or else people would start to think that since the parking ticket meter near my office runs on java people should start to assume that it has BIS on it since java was used to write BIS too.

But your this post, yes. I think it's a matter of 1-2 countries doing well despite others flopping like..er... deflating tyres?

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-07-14 12:49 PM
    The turnaround will not be from a device.

BlackBerry hasn't really set a foot wrong, hardware-wise with the entire BB10 lineup. The devices are all great - with a few small flaws here and there.

The biggest problem is consumer uptake - if people would actually consider buying a BB10 device when they're making smartphone decisions, things would be very different. The trouble is they largely see iPhones and Androids, and their purchase is one of those.

Posted via CB10
    It's not possible to exactly bank on the customers to make fully informed choices when they are out to buy or purchase something for themselves or for Others. However I am more inclined to believe that as per topic suggest, selling the q20 and the z30 may not exactly be the hail Mary pass kind of success that the OP has implied, although theorically if successful, they contribute to the company going back to black from red, but individually it is probably not feasible to even assume that the q20 or z3 can singlehandedly bring the company To black, unless some miracle of an overly positive Reception to the device, like 100m. But to expect Indonesia to buy 100m of z3s is kind of... stepping into the realm of absurdity.

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-07-14 12:55 PM
    My impression is Chen is throwing everything at the wall and see what sticks. Ayer he finds out he'll choose a direction for the company. In the end people will vote with their wallets.

#believeinfilm
    Last edited by Elite1; 04-07-14 at 02:12 PM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-07-14 12:57 PM
    With runtime, we have all android apps and 250,000 Blackberry Apps - so it more
    No, you don't have all android apps. Not even close. Yes you have access to a good chunk, but there are a significant number that don't work at all because of no Google Play Services support, and many some that simply just don't play nice with the runtime

It's good to be excited by the ability to run some Android apps. But don't make it out to be more than it actually is.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    04-07-14 01:47 PM
    Well, I just pray they are still in business to produce the z50, but knowing BlackBerry luck, Samsung or apple will beat them to it. Spec wise I mean. The only real argument is that they need to be first with the best phone on the market, but there always late on delivery. As for z3 I do have faith they will sell ok. But q20? I don't think it will sell good at all, there isn't much market for keyboard phones. They should have squashed the q20 and made the z50 now!!

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 02:14 PM
    I don't think the device matters. It's educating the market on the capabilities of bb10. That's what's really holding them back; marketing and educating. They already made great phones. The Q20 won't change that
    Elite1 likes this.
    04-07-14 02:21 PM
    Specs alone dont sell a device just ask HTC. Why have 3,4,5 gb ram when BB10 does need it? Why have even octo core?

A beautifully design phone with a nice sharp screen, great battery life and an innovative spin on the qwerty keyboard will get people talking.

Only a keyboard makes BlackBerry unique.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-07-14 02:52 PM
311 ... 7891011 ...