Except - isn't the Z3 (from estimates) priced the same as the 620/630 not the 520 - which is how Nokia made up volume?
    04-06-14 02:44 PM
    Unfortunately, this thread is getting a little off the rails -- and a little too personal. Let's get back on track, please.

[WARN]Please do not troll in the forums. Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Do not make posts just for creating arguments. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of trolling posts and/or insulting of members will be treated seriously. [/WARN]
    04-06-14 02:51 PM
    Someone just put it on here that low end device can be a turn around? No for real? 60 to 70 percents of andriods sales are from low end devices! And I'm so sure Galaxy note 3 didn't make huge sales due to the price compare to S4 sales and even S4 didn't make huge sales like the likes of Huwai, Techno, Levono and Co! Due to their prices as well!... Lumia first came out with high end device it failed woefully and after when they made low end devices that's when they started penetrating the market... Plus where blackberry are launching Z3 are markets where they still value blackberry and where they still got goodwill so with the prie of Z3 its gonna blow up the market share!
    04-06-14 03:27 PM
    [QUOTE=Hilman76;10213149]
    [color="#ff8c00"]

If you actually read my post I said they pretty much described the G2, emphasis on the pretty much since you seem to have missed that.

Let's review the G2 and their dream specs shall we:

32 GB, check
    1080p 5.2" screen, check
    High resolution ppi screen, check
    13 megapixel camera, check
    3,000 mah battery, check

Sounds pretty similar to me, having said that, the G2 would need 4 GB of RAM if it used BB10 lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Your missing the point. BB10 runs more efficiently than Android and doesn't need super specs to run smooth and lag free, we all know that Android lags like crazy, reason they need such demanding specs to run Android or it would lag even more. With these specs and BB10 it would run more faster and smoother than your LG with similar specs. It's about how efficient your OS Is to work with the hardware.

Look at the z30. That runs smoother and faster than any Android out there today and it has lower specs. What does that tell you? Efficient OS. Look at ios, ****ty specs but the phones runs smoothly and lag free. Something Android can't brag about.

Posted by my awesome Z10
    04-06-14 03:33 PM
    Turnaround device? I thought the focus under John Chen would be enterprise or is it now consumer or will it next be prosumer if and when this next attempt at a so-called turnaround flops?

Since when did a lower end, consumer-oriented device like the Jakarta become the turnaround device when the focus was supposed to be on enterprise? Or maybe it isn't enterprise any more? Is it Classic or the Q20? Or BES? Or maybe it's the Chen song and dance show beamed to every BB10 device? Is it OS7 or BB10 or BBOS10/7? Is it touchscreen or QWERTY?

It's hard to define a turnaround when BBRY hasn't articulated or defined what the turnaround looks like. The Board, Chen and his team seem to be blindfolded and are just aimlessly feeling their way in the dark (just like Heins and his team were) hoping to find the "turnaround".

This is the part about Chen and BBRY that just doesn't make any sense. BBRY CEOs whether it is Heins or Chen like to make all sorts of declarations about direction and strategy which are non-sensical and contradictory which only serves to confuse customers and undermines confidence on what they are supposedly trying to achieve.

So I really don't believe that anyone can point to a turnaround device, event or milestone in the absence of a clearly articulated and coherent strategy.

It's like asking the question "are we there yet?" Unless the person responding to that question knows where the destination is, he can easily say "yes" at any point and he could very well be lost.

To more precisely answer your question on whether the Jakarta can be a turnaround device, the answer is depending on the price, maybe, but it had better be a more compelling purchase than the literally dozens of entry-level, consumer Android devices that are omnipresent in so-called developing markets like Indonesia with hardware specs and apps that can go up against the best of them at very low prices (just Google devices like the Xiaomi Hongmi which is a dual sim (very important in developing markets) device with an 8MP camera and a 720x1280 screen all for about US$130).

Quite true, and the nice thing is that the bar couldn't be lower! Think about it, if they sell even even 5-10 mill of any of those devices, it would be hailed by enthusiasts as the breakthrough!! As an incredible success. Even one year ago if you had told those enthusiasts 10 mil. In a year it would have Been seen as a huge disappointment. Especially, of low end, non flagship devices, not able to win over any converts.
    04-06-14 03:48 PM
    I will preface this by saying I know very little about the business end of the cellphone industry and I'm certainly no expert on marketing products. But I am a teacher in a large high school and if BlackBerry wanted to roll the dice, inexpensive phones like the Z3 could be the entry point for building a long term customer base. If what I read on CrackBerry is true and the "app gap" has been narrowed, BlackBerry should do whatever makes business sense to get less expensive phones in the hands of American high school students. Some of them might end up being BB users for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    04-06-14 05:19 PM
    Are you saying that, when BB7 devices won in Q4 in terms of number of device sold, they were sold at the same price points as Z10, Q10 or Z30?

I don't have that information but I doubt that was the case. That?s why I didn't say BB7 won due to low prices, but raised it as a question in my last post.

If what I suspected was correct, BB7 devices indeed sold at a lower price than BB10 phones, then my original question still holds the ground:

maybe BB10 sales was poor simply because their prices were not attractive enough, not because they don't have the belt, and not because there is a bigger demand for BB7 devices.

:P

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    I know where I live won't cut it as a good example, but 9900 gets sold at rm1500, q10 still gets sold at rm2000 and people still buy both.

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-06-14 06:48 PM
    I think John Chen himself wants to know too.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 06:59 PM
    Lol! You need to make some interpretation of my "history" to realize these ridiculous statements were not meant seriously..... God bless you. :-) It wouldn't be crackberry otherwise! :-).

At least I know you're sincere in your evaluation of Chen's words my friend. That is to be commended at least.

Remember, they're building towards next season or two seasons down the road... And if they can set a personal best, what more can we ask of them? You have to stay three course and not worry about the critics, but of course we must listen to input and make adjustments along the way!
    Honestly I don't like his direction, but at least if I'm a shareholder, I will agree that what he has done brought something to bring profitability.
    04-06-14 07:06 PM
    .....IMO both of these phones will prove to be winners for BB. The low end Z3 with its slick, big screen and sporting the BB10 will please those who want a "HOT" & "FUN" touch screen BlackBerry but have a budget, and the Q20 will satisfy the crowd who demands high performance and productivity in a work-horse business oriented phone with a keyboard. IMO BB should always keep the concept of the "ALL" touch phones focus mainly on fun and media, and the PHYSICAL keyboard phones with the focus on serious productivity/business. If they continue to offer these two variations, they will cover the bases, and for those who want the best of both worlds they can sport two phones. Trying to combine an all touch phone built for fun and media with high productivity/business qualities is difficult, but if they divide this aspect into two phones, each phone can focus specifically on what its main core is! Can't go wrong with this approach.
    04-06-14 08:25 PM
    .....IMO both of these phones will prove to be winners for BB. The low end Z3 with its slick, big screen and sporting the BB10 will please those who want a "HOT" & "FUN" touch screen BlackBerry but have a budget, and the Q20 will satisfy the crowd who demands high performance and productivity in a work-horse business oriented phone with a keyboard. IMO BB should always keep the concept of the "ALL" touch phones focus mainly on fun and media, and the PHYSICAL keyboard phones with the focus on serious productivity/business. If they continue to offer these two variations, they will cover the bases, and for those who want the best of both worlds they can sport two phones. Trying to combine an all touch phone built for fun and media with high productivity/business qualities is difficult, but if they divide this aspect into two phones, each phone can focus specifically on what its main core is! Can't go wrong with this approach.
    Screen may not be too slick if it is not 720 p. Is it 720 p?

04-06-14 10:08 PM
    Screen may not be too slick if it is not 720 p. Is it 720 p?
    It's less than 720p.
    04-06-14 10:25 PM
    They both serve different purposes. The q20 is to get all those people still on OS7 to switch over to bb10 the Z3 is the low cost blackberry for new emerging markets so they can pull in some good user base for bb10 so there is no one saving grace device to save blackberry they are all important and they all serve different functions. Lets hope they all hit with some success or this could be the obituary for blackberry instead of a proposed turn around story. I think it will be a success however as the foxconn builty z3 will have some more brunt behind it with foxconn wanting the success as well as blackberry. The succes will depend on how people accept the phone. I think it has some great attributes plus the OS is now more mature and could be much better by the time it is released on the z3. Lets hope so for everyones sake.
    wincyUt likes this.
    04-06-14 10:35 PM
    They both serve different purposes. The q20 is to get all those people still on OS7 to switch over to bb10 the Z3 is the low cost blackberry for new emerging markets so they can pull in some good user base for bb10 so there is no one saving grace device to save blackberry they are all important and they all serve different functions. Lets hope they all hit with some success or this could be the obituary for blackberry instead of a proposed turn around story. I think it will be a success however as the foxconn builty z3 will have some more brunt behind it with foxconn wanting the success as well as blackberry. The succes will depend on how people accept the phone. I think it has some great attributes plus the OS is now more mature and could be much better by the time it is released on the z3. Lets hope so for everyones sake.
    Yeap been tring to say the same thing twice already.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-06-14 10:57 PM
    What I want to know is how they plan to launch the Z3. This needs a big marketing push.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 12:04 AM
    What I want to know is how they plan to launch the Z3. This needs a big marketing push.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think you can ask them to do a marketing push for n.america if the initial market was for Indonesia first.

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-07-14 12:34 AM
    I don't think you can ask them to do a marketing push for n.america if the initial market was for Indonesia first.

Posted via CB on BB10
    Yes . Would you in North America buy a all touch phone that has a screen with a 220 PPI ?

04-07-14 12:46 AM
    Yes . Would you in North America buy a all touch phone that has a screen with a 220 PPI ?

I have a feeling that the statement is quite elitist, and discriminatory in some way.

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-07-14 12:55 AM
    Well most certainly all touch screens should have high visibility among BB devices.Also, having healthy mix of keyboard(I myself am a k/b aficionado) & all touch devices at various price points should do the trick.I really do not think BB will be a lost case if they market aggressively which they are not doing in spite Chen being at the helm for several months now
    04-07-14 03:12 AM
    Ford got a $5 billion loan and a $9 billion line of credit.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    Yes but that loan to Ford was retool plants that make more fuel-efficient vehicles and powertrains for 11 factories. They could have done it without the loan but this sped up the process and kept Americans working. What this has to do with the resurgence of BlackBerry I'm not quite sure. I do think the Z3 & Q20 are a start in getting BlackBerry back or the radar of consumers. I do agree the next flagship phones need to be totally bad ***. That said my Z10 rocks and fills all my needs better than anything else. Rocking 24-7 with my Z10 & 16GB Playbook
    04-07-14 03:38 AM
    Well most certainly all touch screens should have high visibility among BB devices.Also, having healthy mix of keyboard(I myself am a k/b aficionado) & all touch devices at various price points should do the trick.I really do not think BB will be a lost case if they market aggressively which they are not doing in spite Chen being at the helm for several months now
    Money, money, money.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 03:39 AM

Posted via CB on BB10
    I was thinking of a big marketing push in Indonesia of course. Based on the article, Chen is visiting Indonesia this week right? I hope he gets to check how they plan to launch the device in Jakarta. It should be hyped or something.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 04:20 AM
    According to Terry Pender of The Record.com "Next week, Chen flies to Indonesia for the official launch of the Jakarta Z3 � the new large touch-screen smartphone BlackBerry produced in partnership with Taiwan-based Foxconn for the Indonesian market."

So my hunch is that Z3 will be the turnaround device for BlackBerry. Although this low end phone will face serious competition, I am willing to hedge that because it will be priced under $200 and is bsically same phone as the Z30 (save for, the pixel density), plus it will have OS 10.2.1.29XX and latest BBM with stickers, BlackBerry can't go wrong in this emerging market.
    BlackBerry's turnaround icing on the cake will come later in the year when the Classic Q20 is launched.

Which is the device that you think will turnaround the dismal market share for BlackBerry? Or do think it is a lost cause?
    I think the Z3 started during Thor's reign, the Q20 is Chen's baby.

#believeinfilm
    04-07-14 04:23 AM
    I was thinking of a big marketing push in Indonesia of course. Based on the article, Chen is visiting Indonesia this week right? I hope he gets to check how they plan to launch the device in Jakarta. It should be hyped or something.

Posted via CB10
    If past history is to be believed, it is very likely to be a man to man, people to people approach than a billboard to man approach. TV commercials are by far hopeful, but the buzz should begin by the final week.

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-07-14 04:47 AM
    I think the Z3 started during Thor's reign, the Q20 is Chen's baby.

#believeinfilm
    Thats technically correct. But its john chen's decision to keep the Z3 going. JC's management cancelled many devices. BlackBerry kopi is an example.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    wincyUt likes this.
    04-07-14 05:09 AM
311 ... 56789 ...