"BBOS had the capability to have apps they were limitations and it was a very unfriendly platform for developers."
    Agreed on the statement as exception of all. Sdk of bb10 was bad. Even bbos to select Chinese language need to jump over the hoops to get HK version of OS. Very sad.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-18 03:05 PM
    Maybe this is an evolved BlackBerry, but according to a recent NY Times article https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ends-data.html, BlackBerry's Hub app was involved in data mining of its users and their friends through Facebook.

Can't trust anyone with your data!
    06-04-18 07:50 AM
    Maybe this is an evolved BlackBerry, but according to a recent NY Times article https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ends-data.html, BlackBerry's Hub app was involved in data mining of its users and their friends through Facebook.

Can't trust anyone with your data!
    Article didn't necessary say the HUB, just that BlackBerry was one of the device makers that Facebook had a partnership with. In the end I think accessing your contacts has always been a core components of how Facebook tried to expand... I know on BB10 it was always asking for permission, and I'd tell in no.... have to hope my no was respected.
    06-04-18 08:52 AM
    Article didn't necessary say the HUB, just that BlackBerry was one of the device makers that Facebook had a partnership with. In the end I think accessing your contacts has always been a core components of how Facebook tried to expand... I know on BB10 it was always asking for permission, and I'd tell in no.... have to hope my no was respected.
    No, the article very clearly talks about the Hub app. Excerpt below:

"The Times used a reporter’s Facebook account — with about 550 friends — and a 2013 BlackBerry device, monitoring what data the device requested and received. (More recent BlackBerry devices, which run Google’s Android operating system, do not use the same private channels, BlackBerry officials said.)

Immediately after the reporter connected the device to his Facebook account, it requested some of his profile data, including user ID, name, picture, “about” information, location, email and cellphone number. The device then retrieved the reporter’s private messages and the responses to them, along with the name and user ID of each person with whom he was communicating.

The data flowed to a BlackBerry app known as the Hub, which was designed to let BlackBerry users view all of their messages and social media accounts in one place.

The Hub also requested — and received — data that Facebook’s policy appears to prohibit. Since 2015, Facebook has said that apps can request only the names of friends using the same app. But the BlackBerry app had access to all of the reporter’s Facebook friends and, for most of them, returned information such as user ID, birthday, work and education history and whether they were currently online.

The BlackBerry device was also able to retrieve identifying information for nearly 295,000 Facebook users. Most of them were second-degree Facebook friends of the reporter, or friends of friends.

In all, Facebook empowers BlackBerry devices to access more than 50 types of information about users and their friends, The Times found.
    "
    06-04-18 09:21 AM
    No, the article very clearly talks about the Hub app. Excerpt below:

"The Times used a reporter’s Facebook account — with about 550 friends — and a 2013 BlackBerry device, monitoring what data the device requested and received. (More recent BlackBerry devices, which run Google’s Android operating system, do not use the same private channels, BlackBerry officials said.)

Immediately after the reporter connected the device to his Facebook account, it requested some of his profile data, including user ID, name, picture, “about” information, location, email and cellphone number. The device then retrieved the reporter’s private messages and the responses to them, along with the name and user ID of each person with whom he was communicating.

The data flowed to a BlackBerry app known as the Hub, which was designed to let BlackBerry users view all of their messages and social media accounts in one place.

The Hub also requested — and received — data that Facebook’s policy appears to prohibit. Since 2015, Facebook has said that apps can request only the names of friends using the same app. But the BlackBerry app had access to all of the reporter’s Facebook friends and, for most of them, returned information such as user ID, birthday, work and education history and whether they were currently online.

The BlackBerry device was also able to retrieve identifying information for nearly 295,000 Facebook users. Most of them were second-degree Facebook friends of the reporter, or friends of friends.

In all, Facebook empowers BlackBerry devices to access more than 50 types of information about users and their friends, The Times found.
    "
    I didn't get past a big ad in the article....
    06-04-18 09:24 AM
    The article really focuses on Blackberry and the Hub. Only BB10 but a reader would not know this. Funny how they used a defunct smartphone company and nearly defunct OS. Only excuse is that it's easier to trace the data collected.
    06-04-18 10:01 AM
31 12