https://www.yahoo.com/tech/watch-bla...489276744.html

BlackBerry CEO John Chen, in a Yahoo interview with David Pogue, maintained that the BlackBerry network�s security model and encryption would have stood up against the attack on iCloud that saw the theft of personal photos from celebrities such as Jennifer Lawrence.
    01-08-15 01:57 PM
    Probably the first thing Chen has said that I disagree with. He shouldn't have said anything along those lines if he can't elaborate on the attack. Especially with media the way it is these days.. all it takes is one stray email nudie selfie of someone holding a BlackBerry and all of it a sudden it's no longer an 'email' hack, it's a BlackBerry hack. Smart people will know the difference but let's be realistic, the masses can't tell the difference and accept what they're told.

Just like when it happened, and there was many people saying if it was BlackBerry it wouldn't have happened, which is kind of right, simply based on the argument that BlackBerry doesn't offer anything like iCloud to be attacked. So if I take nudies and upload em to Dropbox from my BlackBerry and those pics get out. Is that a BlackBerry hack or a Dropbox hack? The point of entry argument. Rhetorical question BTW, smart folks know that's on Dropbox but you know it would be twisted.

Ya, really wish he didn't say that lol. It's a messy, convoluted can of worms.
    01-08-15 02:11 PM
    He's also telling all these hackers, to come get BlackBerry too.
    LateToTheGame likes this.
    01-08-15 02:12 PM
    Your password attempt has failed 9 times a device wipe will occur after the 10th failure.
    anon(5990673) likes this.
    01-08-15 02:19 PM
    Well the attack was not really social engineering.. it was a brute force which iCloud allowed [but have now fixed]. So yes technically it would not have happened on a BB systems but it could have happen if it was on Box or dropbox etc that a BB10 phone synced to.
    FairlightRacing likes this.
    01-08-15 02:19 PM
    Well the attack was not really social engineering.. it was a brute force which iCloud allowed [but have now fixed]. So yes technically it would not have happened on a BB systems but it could have happen if it was on Box or dropbox etc that a BB10 phone synced to.
    And that's where the line gets blurred in the grand scheme of it all. It's a terrible argument all around and it was better left untouched. The way it was covered earlier by BlackBerry was fine but this digs it up agin in a bad way. Plus, that was a terrible interview all around. Not sure what the heck happened there. :/
    01-08-15 02:22 PM
    I agree. Pogue sucked and so did Chen. Definitely a "No Comment" situation.
    01-08-15 02:29 PM
    Probably the first thing Chen has said that I disagree with. He shouldn't have said anything along those lines if he can't elaborate on the attack. Especially with media the way it is these days.. all it takes is one stray email nudie selfie of someone holding a BlackBerry and all of it a sudden it's no longer an 'email' hack, it's a BlackBerry hack. Smart people will know the difference but let's be realistic, the masses can't tell the difference and accept what they're told.

Just like when it happened, and there was many people saying if it was BlackBerry it wouldn't have happened, which is kind of right, simply based on the argument that BlackBerry doesn't offer anything like iCloud to be attacked. So if I take nudies and upload em to Dropbox from my BlackBerry and those pics get out. Is that a BlackBerry hack or a Dropbox hack? The point of entry argument.

Yes, I agree.

I thought he handled the Sony-back-to-BB" comments masterfully; I think not touching this would have been ideal.
    01-08-15 02:32 PM
    Wouldn't a box account be on another network? I think chen is referring to using in-house data and servers protected with BB software.... not an actual device being used to access other vendors software.
    01-08-15 02:40 PM
    Wouldn't a box account be on another network? I think chen is referring to using in-house data and servers protected with BB software.... not an actual device being used to access other vendors software.
    Yes. I know what he's attempting to say but that's not the point. With thinking like that he might have as well said 'No, because we don't have iCloud' lol. I know no one can break into my safe either.. why? Because I don't have one. It was a terrible interview and the underlying message was conveyed equally as terrible.
    randall2580 likes this.
    01-08-15 02:45 PM

Just like when it happened, and there was many people saying if it was BlackBerry it wouldn't have happened, which is kind of right, simply based on the argument that BlackBerry doesn't offer anything like iCloud to be attacked. So if I take nudies and upload em to Dropbox from my BlackBerry and those pics get out. Is that a BlackBerry hack or a Dropbox hack? The point of entry argument.

Which is why he should not have gone into detail. You're giving Apple an excuse for being careless.

Listen, numerous improvements should have been made to prevent brute force attacks. That alone is fail itself. There's at least 3 common sense things Apple could have done to prevent iCloud hacking that went on for years. Ie, block login after so many fails, log of logins, etc. Google, Dropbox, my registrar for my domains all had better security implementation than iCloud. They were informed many times about their susceptibility to brute force attacks and ignored them.

Don't give them a pass just because not ALL celeb photos were straight iCloud thefts.

Did you see the forums where people spend their days doing nothing but iCloud hacking? It's not a small problem.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 02:49 PM
    Don't give them a pass just because not ALL celeb photos were straight iCloud thefts.
    Not even sure who you're addressing LOL. I never said Apple wasn't at fault for it at all. I honestly don't even care about the Apple side of it all. All I care about is that Chen should never have said that or at the very least, conveyed his message better.
    avt123 likes this.
    01-08-15 02:52 PM
    Your password attempt has failed 9 times a device wipe will occur after the 10th failure.
    Exactly this.

It's impossible for the same attack to have happened even on a pedestrian BlackBerry with a password on it. So there is no lie or misinformation being conveyed here.

Only the most amateurish system architect would allow unlimited password attempts without locking down.

It's only due to Apple's level of ineptitude in this instance that makes such a seemingly brazen statement actually... true.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 02:57 PM
    I absolutely agree with Bla1ze and the point he is making. Listen to the video, and read the comments already taken out of context. Watch for the headlines the media uses once it catches on. I am sure he is confident and I understand what his message was, but things like this get twisted quickly.
    01-08-15 03:12 PM
    Like Bla1ze said: John Chen is right. A product that doesn't exist can't be hacked. Blackberry offers no cloud picture backup/sync for BB10. Ridiculous statement.
    01-08-15 03:21 PM
    Not even sure who you're addressing LOL. I never said Apple wasn't at fault for it at all. I honestly don't even care about the Apple side of it all. All I care about is that Chen should never have said that or at the very least, conveyed his message better.
    The quoted reply should have been obvious.

Point 1: Apple should have done MUCH better.
    Point 2: BlackBerry would have better security, period.

Both are points worth pointing out to Joe average.

Disclaimer: I didn’t watch the interview.
    01-08-15 03:37 PM
    Like Bla1ze said: John Chen is right. A product that doesn't exist can't be hacked. Blackberry offers no cloud picture backup/sync for BB10. Ridiculous statement.
    You're missing the point. Look at all the threads here of people crying about their wiped BlackBerry after they unsuccessfully tried 10 times to enter their password. Does anyone really think that BlackBerry would make any service or device that would allow anyone to keep trying passwords for unlimited amounts of time?

Not a chance. So the statement that that specific "hack" would not happen is NOT misleading.

Now, whether you can hack emails sent via blackberry devices to non-properly secured servers (or to a recipient who doesn't use a password on their device). Or sent via the highest security encryption to a sever like iCloud (before this happened). Yeah, of course,.. it's all about the weakest link.

But at least with BlackBerry that won't be their password reset policy... lol

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 03:38 PM
    Only one picture is needed to get the media and people crazy. And he actually saying that everything is possible but with the protection and encryption it's not possible. he also saying that they aware of risk.
    01-08-15 03:50 PM
    Not a chance. So the statement that that specific "hack" would not happen is NOT misleading.
    Not misleading. Just poorly worded in the interview and can totally be misconstrued. But I'm sure that's what Pogue was poking for anyway.
    01-08-15 04:04 PM

Just like when it happened, and there was many people saying if it was BlackBerry it wouldn't have happened, which is kind of right, simply based on the argument that BlackBerry doesn't offer anything like iCloud to be attacked. So if I take nudies and upload em to Dropbox from my BlackBerry and those pics get out. Is that a BlackBerry hack or a Dropbox hack? The point of entry argument. Rhetorical question BTW, smart folks know that's on Dropbox but you know it would be twisted.

On point. Sorry had to re-quote

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 05:15 PM
    I have to say... it's a bit of a foolish statement. Even if you are referring to a specific type of attack or event you shouldn't suggest that anything is impenetrable. At least not someone in Mr. Chens position.
    01-08-15 07:21 PM
    Not misleading. Just poorly worded in the interview and can totally be misconstrued. But I'm sure that's what Pogue was poking for anyway.
    Oh please, there is nothing here than 3 seconds of dialog. What a waste of time. Please close this useless thread down.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-15 11:16 PM
    I have to say... it's a bit of a foolish statement. Even if you are referring to a specific type of attack or event you shouldn't suggest that anything is impenetrable. At least not someone in Mr. Chens position.
    I don't disagree.

I think he got dragged in a bit by TP.
    01-08-15 11:29 PM
    The quoted reply should have been obvious.

Point 1: Apple should have done MUCH better.
    Point 2: BlackBerry would have better security, period.

Both are points worth pointing out to Joe average.

Disclaimer: I didn’t watch the interview.
    At no point did Bla1ze let Apple off the hook in anything he said. All he did was disagree with Chens motives.
    01-08-15 11:43 PM
    He's ego is getting the best of him.

BlackBerry hates America!
    01-09-15 06:51 AM
51 123