I just don't see how BlackBerry would have success when Microsoft hasn't. Especially given that OEMing OS software to others isn't one of their core competencies.
    They could if they would liscense it for free and name it something other than "BlackBerry 11".
    alludba and alludba like this.
    02-25-14 09:08 AM
    no they are not....foxconn is not a OHA member
    OHA thinks they are http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/oha_members.html

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    02-25-14 09:15 AM
    They could if they would liscense it for free and name it something other than "BlackBerry 11".
    Sure - though it doesn't bring them any benefit.

Google piles money into Android even though they don't directly make money on it because it secures google search revenue for them on mobile devices. It was a brilliant, forward looking move to protect their revenue model - and I say this as someone who really doesn't particularly like Android as an OS platform.

If BlackBerry calls it another name - like - say "GuestureOS" and gives it for free, what would they get? I suppose more apps for it, due to the increased market penetration, but then they are competing with other hardware manufacturers running their own OS on top of the competition they already have. There's no underlying benefit like protecting/increasing Google search revenue. Unless, maybe they do a better job defining their services revenue. But right now, most of BB's revenue is in hardware sales unfortunately.
    02-25-14 09:20 AM
    Foxconn is part of the OHA too, and they still make the Z3.
    Foxconn is ONLY an OEM manufacturer - they have no branded products of their own, nor will they anytime soon (which puts them out of the competition). The reason they are the manufacturer for so many competing brands is BECAUSE they don't have their own products, so they aren't themselves directly competing against any of the brands they manufacture for. That's a keystone of their business model. The same would be true of Quanta Computer (made the Playbook, the Kindle Fire, most HP computers, etc.) and Jabil Circuit (previous manufacturer of BB phones, including all BB10 phones until Jakarta). None of them do anything but act as OEMs - they don't make anything to sell themselves.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-25-14 12:36 PM
    Foxconn is ONLY an OEM manufacturer - they have no branded products of their own, nor will they anytime soon (which puts them out of the competition). The reason they are the manufacturer for so many competing brands is BECAUSE they don't have their own products, so they aren't themselves directly competing against any of the brands they manufacture for. That's a keystone of their business model. The same would be true of Quanta Computer (made the Playbook, the Kindle Fire, most HP computers, etc.) and Jabil Circuit (previous manufacturer of BB phones, including all BB10 phones until Jakarta). None of them do anything but act as OEMs - they don't make anything to sell themselves.
    For phones this may be true, but they do try to sell their own branded desktops and motherboards.
    http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Latest...aspx?T=NanoPC#

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 01:11 PM
    Sure but it doesn't change his point in regards to OHA membership.
    02-25-14 02:25 PM
    Sure but it doesn't change his point in regards to OHA membership.
    Just wanted to correct the latter part of his statement. Also, we don't know which agreements Google has with Foxconn (if any). According to this article, OEMs aren't allowed to produce handsets with forked Android versions. However that may only apply to OEMs that also sell their own products.
    The agreement places a company-wide ban on Android forks, saying OEMs are forbidden from taking "any actions that may cause or result in the fragmentation of Android" and specifically disallows distributing or encouraging a third party to distribute "a software development kit derived from Android."
    02-25-14 03:25 PM
    Sure - though it doesn't bring them any benefit.

Google piles money into Android even though they don't directly make money on it because it secures google search revenue for them on mobile devices. It was a brilliant, forward looking move to protect their revenue model - and I say this as someone who really doesn't particularly like Android as an OS platform.

If BlackBerry calls it another name - like - say "GuestureOS" and gives it for free, what would they get?
    Exactly. There is no market for a pay per license mobile OS as long as Android is around. On the other hand, BB has no business model for a free mobile OS.

So I cannot see any business around licensing for them.

Mack Gans likes this.
    02-25-14 06:04 PM
    Exactly. There is no market for a pay per license mobile OS as long as Android is around. On the other hand, BB has no business model for a free mobile OS.

So I cannot see any business around licensing for them.

If offering Android for free will result in the elimination of "a market". Wouldn't this support Microsoft's EU law suit against Android for anti-competitive practices?.. As in, eliminating a market => eliminating competitors => no consumer choice => negatively affected consumers.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 08:33 PM
    I really enjoy reading your posts because of the level of information you provide. I would really be interested in hearing the strategy you might have employed for the next 12 months had you been the CEO. I usually find the strategy posts on CB to be very USA centric. I can't help but think that Foxconn will be eventually taking over the hardware division completely. They appear to have higher ambitions. Thanks

PS my first computer was a Commodore Pet as well.
    02-25-14 08:52 PM
    I really enjoy reading your posts because of the level of information you provide. I would really be interested in hearing the strategy you might have employed for the next 12 months had you been the CEO.
    I've mentioned this before, but I'll cover it briefly again. At this point, I believe Chen focusing on regulated enterprises and emerging markets is the best strategy they have available - BB is virtually broke at this point, having had to borrow $1.25B just to keep running, so they have little choice but to pick the market niches where they believe they have the best chance for success and focus on them almost exclusively, as far at the handset business goes. If the finances and projections would allow for it, I'd have also tried to work with the carriers to implement a BBOS-to-BB10 upgrade program, not unlike T-Mobiles. It would have required an ACTIVE BBOS device be surrendered in return for a discount on a BB10 device. I'd have wanted this to go live back no later than fall of 2013, given the lack of traction BB10 was seeing, but if not, I'd still try to do it now (perhaps excluding the Z30 - depending on inventory levels).

I'd have also worked to spin BBM off as its own subsidiary company, to allow more cross-platform focus and avoid all the distractions of the rest of the BB world right now.

Everything else is about as good as it's going to get with the severe financial limitations that BB is working with. They can't afford a big consumer push that so many people here want to see (it's quite clear that most people here don't care all that much about BB as a whole company - they just want mature-market consumer phones and services, no matter what), so what more could BB be doing that they aren't already doing? Nothing that I can see, except the couple of items I mentioned above.
    JeepBB, Mack Gans and Bbnivende like this.
    02-25-14 10:29 PM
    If offering Android for free will result in the elimination of "a market". Wouldn't this support Microsoft's EU law suit against Android for anti-competitive practices?.. As in, eliminating a market => eliminating competitors => no consumer choice => negatively affected consumers.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I would agree that Android negatively affects consumers. I think Google's "don't be evil" line is a cynical lie, actually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-25-14 10:51 PM
    OHA thinks they are Alliance Members | Open Handset Alliance

you are right sorry..

but maybe it just like troy said ...
    02-25-14 11:43 PM
    I've mentioned this before, but I'll cover it briefly again. At this point, I believe Chen focusing on regulated enterprises and emerging markets is the best strategy they have available - BB is virtually broke at this point, having had to borrow $1.25B just to keep running, so they have little choice but to pick the market niches where they believe they have the best chance for success and focus on them almost exclusively, as far at the handset business goes. If the finances and projections would allow for it, I'd have also tried to work with the carriers to implement a BBOS-to-BB10 upgrade program, not unlike T-Mobiles. It would have required an ACTIVE BBOS device be surrendered in return for a discount on a BB10 device. I'd have wanted this to go live back no later than fall of 2013, given the lack of traction BB10 was seeing, but if not, I'd still try to do it now (perhaps excluding the Z30 - depending on inventory levels).

I'd have also worked to spin BBM off as its own subsidiary company, to allow more cross-platform focus and avoid all the distractions of the rest of the BB world right now.

Everything else is about as good as it's going to get with the severe financial limitations that BB is working with. They can't afford a big consumer push that so many people here want to see (it's quite clear that most people here don't care all that much about BB as a whole company - they just want mature-market consumer phones and services, no matter what), so what more could BB be doing that they aren't already doing? Nothing that I can see, except the couple of items I mentioned above.
    You have said that BB is not currently manufacturing any phones. Do they have enough inventory in the pipeline or will they run out of their BB10 inventory before the Q20 arrives? Will foxconn make the Z30 , Q10 and Q5 ? Have they quit making BBOS devices ?

Just a little clued out on the manufacturing side.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-26-14 12:07 AM
    You have said that BB is not currently manufacturing any phones. Do they have enough inventory in the pipeline or will they run out of their BB10 inventory before the Q20 arrives? Will foxconn make the Z30 , Q10 and Q5 ? Have they quit making BBOS devices ?
    The 9720 was the last BBOS device, and those were built in spring '13. There are still plenty of new BBOS devices in inventory, and, for now, plenty of BB10 devices. They had several million Z10s alone in inventory a few months ago, along with who-knows-how-many Q10s, and they've only been selling 300k BB10 phones a month or so, across 4 BB10 models. Presumably, Chen's team has been talking to the big enterprise companies they're trying to re-sign, and they want keyboard phones with the button belt, because the Q20 is intended for that market. Clearly, Chen believes he has enough BB10 inventory to get him through the next few quarters until the Q20 is ready. With the Z3 likely taking over most Z10 sales in emerging markets, I'm sure he's right.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-26-14 12:13 PM
    The 9720 was the last BBOS device, and those were built in spring '13. There are still plenty of new BBOS devices in inventory, and, for now, plenty of BB10 devices. They had several million Z10s alone in inventory a few months ago, along with who-knows-how-many Q10s, and they've only been selling 300k BB10 phones a month or so, across 4 BB10 models. Presumably, Chen's team has been talking to the big enterprise companies they're trying to re-sign, and they want keyboard phones with the button belt, because the Q20 is intended for that market. Clearly, Chen believes he has enough BB10 inventory to get him through the next few quarters until the Q20 is ready. With the Z3 likely taking over most Z10 sales in emerging markets, I'm sure he's right.
    Thanks !

Then there is Bell Canada who asks $649 for a Z10.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    02-26-14 08:44 PM
    Terrific article

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 01:06 AM
    Terrific article

Posted via CB10
    I agree! +100
    03-07-14 05:01 AM
    I think they need people like you there
    03-07-14 05:04 AM
44 12