This article is a bit too long to post here, however, it is definitely worth the read!

Exclusive: John Chen�s simple plan to save BlackBerry | Globe & Mail
    02-24-14 03:22 PM
    thanks for sharing!
    02-24-14 03:25 PM
    This article is a bit too long to post here, however, it is definitely worth the read!

Exclusive: John Chen’s simple plan to save BlackBerry | Globe & Mail
    Some really interesting bits in that interview:

The move to change the service-fee formula bewilders Chen-he likens it to someone quitting his job hoping a better one will come along, then wondering why he can't afford rent. "I would never have done that," he says. "The disruption of the service-access fees was a mistake."
    "[A majority of] enterprise customers who use us as the backbone have never heard from us," Chen says.
    BlackBerry, in Chen's view, also needs to focus on building out "vertical applications" that are connected to a customer's internal systems and run on the BlackBerry network. The company hasn't offered much in the way of enterprise applications beyond the basics of e-mail, calendar and contacts. "With increasing power in our devices, there's more opportunity for enterprises to do more on mobile devices than before," says John Sims, the company's new president of global enterprise services, a recruit from SAP/Sybase. "It's not an opportunity we've missed, but one we can participate in." The company had few details to offer at press time but promised to start revealing its plans in late February.
    "I think devices are still one component of the solution," Chen says. "The question is, Do we need to be in the device business? That remains to be seen."
    milo53, anon(3896606) and JeepBB like this.
    02-24-14 03:31 PM
    Also, since people seem to enjoy Chen's analogies, here is another:

He likens his task to that of an emergency room doctor: The job is to save the patient, not to focus on the circumstances that led him to the ER. But his diagnosis is also full of sharp observations about his predecessors’ mistakes.
    bungaboy, laketrout73 and JeepBB like this.
    02-24-14 03:33 PM
    "Sybase had been an early leader in the electronic database market in the 1980s, but by 1997 it was a chronic money-loser, shedding revenues and what little market share it had left to Oracle, IBM and Microsoft. Sybase had a reputation for buggy software, for being out of touch with its customers and for failing to adapt to changes in its market. Instead of addressing its core challenges, Sybase went on an acquisition binge that did little to help."

Uhhh...

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 03:42 PM
    Some really interesting bits in that interview:
    "I think devices are still one component of the solution," Chen says. "The question is, Do we need to be in the device business? That remains to be seen."
    He'll have some clarity after Q1 numbers get released. I predict more devices being cancelled. Enterprise doesn't need the latest spec devices. They need long support and security and grow the backend services part of the business in features.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-24-14 03:47 PM
    Interesting article OP. It makes me even more curious to hear what is announced at MWC.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 04:00 PM
    Is BlackBerry going to become a sofware only business or a device and sofware business, I think they can do both and it started with outsourcing the hardware portion of the business

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-24-14 04:37 PM
    Well- if he keeps running his mouth regarding his uncertainty about the future of handsets, BlackBerry certainly shouldn't be surprised if enterprise and government seek other solutions. Now I'm even concerned about buying another BlackBerry. If he doesn't have faith in the future of BlackBerry handsets then no one else will either.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and milo53 like this.
    02-24-14 05:12 PM
    Well- if he keeps running his mouth regarding his uncertainty about the future of handsets, BlackBerry certainly shouldn't be surprised if enterprise and government seek other solutions. Now I'm even concerned about buying another BlackBerry. If he doesn't have faith in the future of BlackBerry handsets then no one else will either.

Posted via CB10
    I personally don't see it as running his mouth, he hasn't been even been with the company for a fiscal quarter. Therefore he needs time to analyze over the next few quarters if the handset business is worth it to stay there. If he stops making future handsets for the time being, that also doesn't mean he will stop supporting current ones.
    Just my take, though.
    02-24-14 05:40 PM
    Him saying stop making devices could also simply mean they would license software.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3896606) and grover5 like this.
    02-24-14 05:55 PM
    Could be a win/win solution for both customers who like BB10 and BlackBerry if they ever focus on software and licence their softwares.
    A Sony manufactured device with BB10 would be a great competitor for Android and Apple smartphones/tablets.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-24-14 07:08 PM
    My biggest fear with BlackBerry is that the BB10 devices disappear eventually. I will never buy an iPhone, Windows is a mess and that would leave Android which is doesn't excite me. Samsuck - ya hoo!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 07:30 PM
    My biggest fear with BlackBerry is that the BB10 devices disappear eventually. I will never buy an iPhone, Windows is a mess and that would leave Android which is doesn't excite me. Samsuck - ya hoo!

Posted via CB10
    I highly doubt that BlackBerry will disappear soon, that would be one of the hugest wastes of R&D money, time and development and time.
    02-24-14 07:32 PM

Exclusive: John Chen’s simple plan to save BlackBerry | Globe & Mail
    I feel like they got him through David Yach (ex-CTO)
    02-24-14 08:31 PM
    third time's the charm
    02-24-14 08:53 PM
    Him saying stop making devices could also simply mean they would license software.
    And who would they license the software to?

Not to anyone in the Open Handset Alliance (i.e., every Android manufacturer), because BB10 contains non-Google-certified Android code. Any OHA member who made a BB10 phone would lose their OHA membership, and even the worst-performing Android manufacturer sold way more phones than BB has sold BB10 phones. That's one of the reasons why BB spent a year looking for someone to license BB10 to and didn't find anyone.

If BB ripped out the Android runtime, then any of those companies could license BB10 without a conflict with their Android contracts, but who would buy a BB10 phone that couldn't run Android apps? Remember that a lot of the apps in BB World are just Android ports that need the runtime in order to work.
    Mack Gans, bbq10l, garnok and 1 others like this.
    02-24-14 09:34 PM

Not to anyone in the Open Handset Alliance (i.e., every Android manufacturer), because BB10 contains non-Google-certified Android code. Any OHA member who made a BB10 phone would lose their OHA membership, and even the worst-performing Android manufacturer sold way more phones than BB has sold BB10 phones. That's one of the reasons why BB spent a year looking for someone to license BB10 to and didn't find anyone.

If BB ripped out the Android runtime, then any of those companies could license BB10 without a conflict with their Android contracts, but who would buy a BB10 phone that couldn't run Android apps? Remember that a lot of the apps in BB World are just Android ports that need the runtime in order to work.
    let me added :

even big company like microsoft having difficulities to find other smartphone maker to license their OS. they have to pay nokia, and offering samsung, HTC lot of money.
    Mack Gans and JeepBB like this.
    02-24-14 09:39 PM

Exclusive: John Chen�s simple plan to save BlackBerry | Globe & Mail
    Awesome; thank you.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-14 09:40 PM
    My view on this also, when this was brought up here before.

Microsoft, probably the strongest OEM company on the planet, is having a hard time getting manufacturers to bundle Windows Phone with (free, customizable) Android out there. I just don't see how BlackBerry would have success when Microsoft hasn't. Especially given that OEMing OS software to others isn't one of their core competencies.
    02-24-14 09:46 PM
    inspiring and determined:

"It wasn’t long before he noticed one of his Asian colleagues kept being passed over for promotions. He asked his superior why, “and he made it very categorically clear that Chinese engineers are ‘not presentable.’ When I got home, I pulled out the Webster’s dictionary to look up what ‘presentable’ means.” The racism of the putdown hit hard, and “I decided that I had to go conquer that,” he says. He credits his determination for putting him on the career fast-track. To polish his presentation skills, Chen took courses with a local TV anchor and joined Toastmasters. He soon became plant manager—overseeing his former superior—and eventually rose to vice-president."
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-24-14 09:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    If I ran a IT Shop, this article would give me pause regarding my purchases for the future. Not good.
    02-24-14 10:54 PM
    My view on this also, when this was brought up here before.

Microsoft, probably the strongest OEM company on the planet, is having a hard time getting manufacturers to bundle Windows Phone with (free, customizable) Android out there. I just don't see how BlackBerry would have success when Microsoft hasn't. Especially given that OEMing OS software to others isn't one of their core competencies.
    Mr. Foxconn come on down and play the price is right!
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-25-14 at 01:37 AM.
    02-25-14 12:31 AM

Foxconn is part of the OHA too, and they still make the Z3.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 08:08 AM
    Foxconn is part of the OHA too, and they still make the Z3.

Posted via CB10
    no they are not....foxconn is not a OHA member
    02-25-14 08:44 AM
44 12