Damn wish Chen would have also came out maybe that would have helped him nudge cook out from first place!

Posted via CB10
    All Chen has done is cut jobs and sell real estate...big deal..lol
    jmr1015 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    12-24-14 01:26 AM
    All Chen has done is cut jobs and sell real estate...big deal..lol
    :ahahahaha Chen what a bad guy

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 01:40 AM
    Mr. Chen wins hands down in my books despite CNN bias opinion. I hope he wins.
    12-24-14 03:34 AM
    This is Fantastic because we all know #2 tries harder!
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-24-14 05:40 AM
    Tim definitely took more risk then Chen so good on him!

Posted via CB10
    What risk exactly? He lives in California.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 10:15 AM
    What was initially a somewhat amusingly ignorant thread is now rapidly turning ugly.
    ponpiri and MarsupilamiX like this.
    12-24-14 10:45 AM
    This isn't an apple vs blackberry view point, as despite my general distaste for Apple I would be saying the opposite if Steve Jobs was still at the helm, he didn't get that company where it is by accident. But where Tim Cook is concerned I just don't see it... in fact Chen aside I could suggest any number of CEO's more deserving of the title.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Cook has had an amazing year by any standards. Beyond that, there is a general misunderstanding that Cook simply walked into what Steve Jobs created and kept the ball rolling. That's not really a fair assessment, as Cook had been an executive at Apple since 1998, by all accounts was instrumental in streamlining Apple's incredibly efficient supply chain, was acting CEO during Job's medical leaves of absences, and was hand picked by Jobs as his successor. Cook has been the acting or actual CEO of Apple since January of 2011. Both the stock and size of the company have ballooned since then. The logistics alone of heading a company the size of Apple is impressive. He has also maintained Apple's strong customer loyalty even without Job's image. He has also been able to leverage Apple's impressive bargaining power to, for example, create Apple Pay along with many banks, which appears so far to be successful.

There have been a few bumps in the road, like the maps issue early on for example - which he handled very well by apologizing and fixing it. A CEO cannot prevent all problems from happening, but can decide how the company responds to problems, and he has done very well at that.

Chen is awesome too in a different way - he is known as a turn around artist. So far his performance has been stellar at that, although BlackBerry's revenue continues to drop. There can be no doubt that Apple's fundamental business is exponentially better than BlackBerry even while both stocks are shooting up.

I think both CEOs are very impressive and well suited to the companies they head. I'm doubtful that Cook would be the right choice to turn around a floundering smaller company. I also doubt that Chen would be the right choice to lead and dramatically grow the largest tech company in the world. Two different skill sets.

If I had to choose an overall winner this year, between these two it would be Cook. He has done a lot to improve Apple's environmental and social impact, has grown his already massive company, has given great returns to shareholders including higher stock price and dividends, and despite mocking on this forum he has spoken out on an important civil rights issue of our time. Trying to bring about positive social change while heading a for-profit company does count for something in my book.
    12-24-14 10:54 AM
    Let's put it in this way: lots of people would apply for Tim Cook's position if it's available a year ago, but very few would consider John Chen's position in the same time frame.

Consider that!

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    12-24-14 11:32 AM
    Dude who is Tim Cook?

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 02:16 PM
    C'mon,

it took seriousness skill (that nobody else could have figured out) for Tim Cook to realize and execute the importance of making an iPhone with a bigger screen, and introducing NFC (finally!), and an apple payment system.

Wow, impressive decision making! No wonder he was CEO of the year!!
    12-24-14 02:31 PM
    Hard to believe they would pat Tim on the back when Apple is on cruise control, and BlackBerry was spirally down into the ground..
    12-24-14 02:50 PM
    Dude who is Tim Cook?

Posted via CB10
    CEO of Apple. At first I thought that said Tim Curry and almost did a whip-around.
    12-24-14 03:18 PM
    CEO of Apple. At first I thought that said Tim Curry and almost did a whip-around.
    Lol yeah.

"Black as night black as twitch"

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 03:21 PM
    #1 would have been nice but #2 isn't too shabby. Good for Chen and BlackBerry. It's nice to see more positive news about the company in the media.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 03:54 PM
    Sorry, but my 12 year old could run Apple and make a big profit.

Posted via CB10
    spyeagle and potatoguy like this.
    12-24-14 04:09 PM
    Let's see... one took an inferior product and with well managed plans for management, marketing, production, distribution and continued stellar eco system continued pushing his enterprise to be a dominant market player and one of the most profitable companies in the world... and the stock price shows it.

The other had an incredibly better product... and with no marketing, poor distribution, temper tantrums which led to zero carrier support and promise after promise... which led to 0.8 percent market share... and the stock price shows it.

Gee, which one do you really think is the better manager.

One should be ashamed of himself!

Posted via CB10
    12-24-14 04:25 PM
    Tim Cook's job isn't as easy as some people would like to think. Of course, only time will prove his abilities, but it takes real leadership to stay on top. There are plenty of examples of CEOs who couldn't keep their companies on top, and of replacement CEOs blowing it. It's not a cakewalk.
    jmr1015, TGR1, shief24 and 1 others like this.
    12-24-14 04:35 PM
    Let's see... one took an inferior product and with well managed plans for management, marketing, production, distribution and continued stellar eco system continued pushing his enterprise to be a dominant market player and one of the most profitable companies in the world... and the stock price shows it.

The other had an incredibly better product... and with no marketing, poor distribution, temper tantrums which led to zero carrier support and promise after promise... which led to 0.8 percent market share... and the stock price shows it.

Gee, which one do you really think is the better manager.

One should be ashamed of himself!

Posted via CB10
    The temper tantrums, carrier support problems and the plummeted market share all happened before Chen. He's had to turn it all around, and he's well on his way. There is still a lot to do - especially in the customer support department - but I have no doubt that once the big fires have been put out, Chen will get to the smaller ones as well.

Now, if Cook had moved Apple's cash hoard back into the US and started paying taxes on it, as well as giving some of the profits to charity, I'd agree that Cook would deserve the #1 spot. But not the way things are now - Apple is still the greediest company with crappy labour standards (outside of the US, where there is no regulation). There is something wrong with a CEO rating system that doesn't consider ethical behaviour.
    12-24-14 04:40 PM
    I thought this was a great thing to see Chen and BB being recognized in such a publicized place as CNN. Yet you all want to bash and argue instead of being happy. knock it off and enjoy the holiday or you can take the holiday weekend off from the forums.
    12-24-14 04:47 PM
    Chen was not able to get any U.S. carrier to actually have either the Classic or the Passport on their store shelves by the time this award was announced. I believe the lack of availability may have given the edge to Cook. The media did seem to fall in love with the Iphone 6 and 6+. For us BB followers Chen has done great success but for the media that does not seem to follow as close Chen's success has been more limited. I believe instead of being concerned who is #1, we should be thrilled that he is #2 in spite of the lack of carrier support in the United States.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-24-14 04:54 PM
    Last edited by crackberry_geek; 12-24-14 at 10:54 PM.
    12-24-14 05:59 PM
    What was initially a somewhat amusingly ignorant thread is now rapidly turning ugly.
    #CrackBerry
    shief24, mikeo007 and MikeX74 like this.
    12-24-14 10:26 PM
    MmmHmm introduced well-rounded logic into this thread. Those saying Cook did nothing seem quite ignorant and theres absolutely no doubt Chen did a great job but he still did not change the public perception of BlackBerry.
    12-24-14 11:11 PM
    Both of these men are winners. I'm just grateful we have both to make a difference for us all. Thanks John and Tim in no particular order!
    12-24-14 11:23 PM
    Why would Tim Cook be number 1 anyway...