10-17-14 02:06 PM
    The problem is the supply and shipping info haven't been communicated properly. Chen was on a hot streak too.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 02:18 PM
    yep its a success story in the making

Loving my blackberry passport
    10-17-14 02:21 PM
    If not deliberally {looking innocent} :smile:

BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.1.2941; BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.0.675
    sentimentGX4 and kbz1960 like this.
    10-17-14 02:26 PM

I JC wants to move even more units he should propose a CDMA Passport and force the carriers hand to support it.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1052
    10-17-14 02:34 PM
    I JC wants to move even more units he should propose a CDMA Passport and force the carriers hand to support it.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1052
    The trouble: CDMA really IS going away, so there's a law of diminishing returns in supporting it. On top of that, supporting CDMA presents logistical challenges all the way from radio design to carrier testing to production.

If the Passport becomes a runaway hit, and it looks like a CDMA version would sell in the millions on its own, maybe, but until then... probably not.
    10-17-14 02:37 PM
    The problem is the supply and shipping info haven't been communicated properly. Chen was on a hot streak too.

Posted via CB10
    The lack of communication has been frustrating, sure, but it wouldn't have been an issue if people didn't actually want the phone. IOW, nobody would be complaining about the fulfillment process if they weren't ordering Passports in the first place.

Ideally, BlackBerry would have forecast demand perfectly, but since they didn't what's the next best thing? To overestimate demand, produce too many, and have to discount later on? Or underestimate, end up with a shortage, and leave the impression that the phone is desirable? Especially since this is an expensive and polarizing design that entailed some risk in producing to begin with?
    10-17-14 02:42 PM

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.0.1052
    I think manufacturers should just stop supporting cdma and force carriers to go gsm...

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    10-17-14 02:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree 100%. This is not necessarily good news at all and, in fact, is more likely bad news being spun as good news to manipulate the market.

The story of Nokia is instructive. Nokia went from a 30% market share to a 3% share under a CEO named Elop, mostly after he switched the company to support Windows Phone software instead of other options. Sales of Windows Phone Lumias were horrible, of course, which made this market collapse possible.

Strangely, a pattern began to emerge as this collapse began and continued. You see, every launch of Lumia devices would produce news of "impressive" sales. Amazon would list the latest Lumia as sold out. Elop would assure the world that the Lumia was a hit and was selling well.

This was all false. Sales were horrible. The brand was dying.

But Nokia Lumias did have sold-out conditions, right? But that just meant supplies had been constrained and that demand-forecasting was terrible. Importantly, no specific sales figures after the headline grabbing early launch hype were publicized by the Nokia. You would later learn from market research firms that Nokia's Elop had been full of _______, and that sales were ______.

Remember Thorsten's Z-10 hype? Same story. Mostly spin.

If Chen had strong numbers to report since the 200,000 number, I think we'd have heard them. And how many of the 200K sold were to retailers versus end users? Thorsten's hype announcement of 1 Million BB10 sales was to a reseller, remember? All of these third party sellers offering Passports at inflated prices possibly got them from the same 200K number, right?

Time will tell the sales performance of Passport, but this hype pattern is indicative of an attempt to create a false impression.

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1418 / T-Mobile USA
    Last edited by eyesopen1111; 10-17-14 at 03:43 PM.
    10-17-14 03:26 PM
    I think manufacturers should just stop supporting cdma and force carriers to go gsm...

Posted via CB10
    As long as Verizon is around...good luck. Even Apple knows it would be suicide.

All I want for Christmas is a Passport
    10-17-14 03:33 PM
    I agree 100%. This is not necessarily good news at all and, in fact, is more likely bad news being spun as good news to manipulate the market.
    Once again I must say... BlackBerry is not looking to dominate the market. Their sales goals are 10 million phones a year. This is a small fraction of what other companies due and a small fraction of the market share. Their success will be made as an under dog, not fighting the other big two.

In other words, even if sales are horrible and the brand is dead it can still be a great success for BlackBerry.
    10-17-14 03:41 PM
    I don't blame him. Remember what happened the last time this enterprise focused company got sucked in to the consumer market place? RIM was too eager to have the device sales but too slow to react to the consumer market place. I am sure that BB is happy to be selling phones but if you can believe them, they say they don't want to sell them to the masses. The success of the Passport is most certainly like walking the knives edge.
    I can almost certainly say that the majority of the Passports sold to date have not gone to medium/large enterprise customers, the market that BB is now focused on. Fingers crossed for good things!!
    10-17-14 04:18 PM
    It is slightly discomforting that new sales numbers, or the size of the production run were not released, as it does seem like it could just be spin. At this point all we can confirm is that 200k phones were sold, but we're 200k produced? Or was 500k produced, would they have dared produce a million? We will have to wait and see to determine just how well the phone is doing.
    One good thing to note though.. they likely would not have released the device if the initial product run wasn't going to make some money, so if the Passport is already making money that's a good sign, as even if the sales rate slides, they can count on selling more going into the holiday season. I know I'm not the only one waiting patiently to save some $$/wait for contract to end/ask for as a gift etc.

BB for Life
    10-17-14 04:38 PM
    People look in the wrong place... All this is for the benefit of Enterprise sales... one of BB biggest stumbling blocks has been "will they be around in a year".... has been a major impediment for the company... As businesses look out there and see actual demand for the Passport... ginned up or not... creates the impression of a company going somewhere... while it sucks that it is at the expense of consumers ( enterprise have purchasing cycles so BB would know demand well in advance ) they are the ones left waiting and complaining...... maybe bad for impatient users who want it now..... but for the stated goal of enterprise ... fits right into Chen's plan.....
    Acumenight likes this.
    10-17-14 05:12 PM
    What else is he going to say?

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 05:42 PM
    It is slightly discomforting that new sales numbers, or the size of the production run were not released, as it does seem like it could just be spin. At this point all we can confirm is that 200k phones were sold, but we're 200k produced? Or was 500k produced, would they have dared produce a million? We will have to wait and see to determine just how well the phone is doing.
    One good thing to note though.. they likely would not have released the device if the initial product run wasn't going to make some money, so if the Passport is already making money that's a good sign, as even if the sales rate slides, they can count on selling more going into the holiday season. I know I'm not the only one waiting patiently to save some $$/wait for contract to end/ask for as a gift etc.

BB for Life
    No hardware company will do a run less than 250K. So

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 12:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    They are going GSM, LTE is GSM.
    10-18-14 02:19 AM
    They are going GSM, LTE is GSM.
    Absolutely true... both Verizon and Sprint (and AT&T and T-Mo) are working towards an LTE-only future. VoLTE (Voice Over LTE) is a big step towards that future and is starting to roll out now on selected phones. But we are a good 3-5 years away from the carriers retiring their legacy networks, so CDMA will be with us for a while yet.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-18-14 12:03 PM

The story of Nokia is instructive. Nokia went from a 30% market share to a 3% share under a CEO named Elop, mostly after he switched the company to support Windows Phone software instead of other options. Sales of Windows Phone Lumias were horrible, of course, which made this market collapse possible.

Strangely, a pattern began to emerge as this collapse began and continued. You see, every launch of Lumia devices would produce news of "impressive" sales. Amazon would list the latest Lumia as sold out. Elop would assure the world that the Lumia was a hit and was selling well.

This was all false. Sales were horrible. The brand was dying.

But Nokia Lumias did have sold-out conditions, right? But that just meant supplies had been constrained and that demand-forecasting was terrible. Importantly, no specific sales figures after the headline grabbing early launch hype were publicized by the Nokia. You would later learn from market research firms that Nokia's Elop had been full of _______, and that sales were ______.

Remember Thorsten's Z-10 hype? Same story. Mostly spin.

If Chen had strong numbers to report since the 200,000 number, I think we'd have heard them. And how many of the 200K sold were to retailers versus end users? Thorsten's hype announcement of 1 Million BB10 sales was to a reseller, remember? All of these third party sellers offering Passports at inflated prices possibly got them from the same 200K number, right?

Time will tell the sales performance of Passport, but this hype pattern is indicative of an attempt to create a false impression.

You do know that the reason they can report the 200K number is because those were the orders placed on Amazon and digital 7. It's harder to predict in store sales as the carrier controls inventory levels.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 12:27 PM
    I heard Foxconn wasn't building the passport. I had thought that using Foxconn was to avoid the inventory risk.. If Foxconn could produce the Z3, that sells for 200, then I would guess that the passport would have some room for the higher margin, but yet again the water gets murky.
    They better get their **** together.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-14 01:35 PM
    I think this is great news for blackberry............................to have the passport on back order means this phone is hot
    10-18-14 01:47 PM
    Good news that it sold well. As long as shortages don't last too long, or that may be a sign of poor supply chain control.
    10-18-14 04:02 PM
    Guys, the Passport is not selling well. Look at Chen's statement that was at N4BB: http://n4bb.com/john-chen-glad-cant-...erry-passport/

"We took a very conservative approach and didn't order too many."

That's why they sold out--low inventories, not high demand. Why he would admit this is unknown, but he's probably the only person that the BlackBerry faithful would believe, so it's good he did.

The good news is that a second production run will likely overshoot demand, meaning discounted Passports are on the way in the future!

crackberry_geek likes this.
    10-18-14 05:02 PM
    CDMA is a protocol that is almost EOL. The rest of the world has moved on. Those that are still on CDMA are dinos. No one should use their services.
    10-18-14 05:07 PM
    No hardware company will do a run less than 250K. So

Posted via CB10
    Since Blackberry is doing the manufacturing, not Foxconn, who is to say what the production run is..
    10-18-14 05:11 PM
57 123