So many gripes about the Priv. BB is not forcing you to buy it. The Company is just spreading its chances to increase sales and they're probably banking on the tens of millions of former BB users that switched to Android due to lack of Apps or hated BB7. Even if BB did not launch the Priv, I highly doubt there would be an upgrade to Q10 and Z30 due to putrid sales. Just look at BB's last BB10 phone (Leap & rounded corner PP) and you'll understand how cautious they are to release new BB10 phones or upgrades. The current BB10 line if upgraded the Company probably thinks will have less sales combined to their sales estimates for the Priv. BB10 has marinated in the market long enough and it's time to try another stream. The slider PKB alone tells me they're targeting millions of former BB users
    09-27-15 09:08 AM
    Why would anybody want to license BB10 OS??? Even if it were free nobody would want to take the risk when BlackBerry couldn't even sell 1mil devices last quarter? Once the average Joes find out that BlackBerry 10 does not have native Snapchat, Instagram and Google Play Services built in, they will return the phones!

As much as I dislike Android, I want BlackBerry to survive. It's a simple business plan because if you're selling BlackBerry 10 devices and the majority of the consumer are not buying then wouldn't you have a Plan B (no pun to guys who want morning after pills because Plan B is only for ladies lol).

If BlackBerry doesn't explore new plans and cater to what's driving the current smartphone needs (apps apps apps!!!), it will cease to exist! Do you want BlackBerry to cater to a small loyal fan base with losses after losses of quarterly reports? Wake up my friend because if you want BlackBerry to stick to BlackBerry 10 OS, you might as well make the company go bankrupt.

I am a huge fan of BlackBerry and I follow then daily. Heck I even have my fair share of BlackBerry stocks. I am now accepting the fact that even though I don't like Android, I would buy an Android device if it's made by BlackBerry because it's a BlackBerry device. However I really dislike the name of the Priv and I am a very who's really picky when it comes to names so I won't be buying another Toilet any time soon.

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    The highlighted sentence is one that is the most frustrating for me every time I see it.( or any variant of it) I'm not saying they would have sold millions and millions more, but Chen's ridiculous idea to exclude consumers from BB devices is more confusing to me than the first time I saw a Rubiks Cube. Is it not obvious that sales will be lower and lower when you leave out and not market to the consumer base?? BB is not an enterprise only device company anymore and hasn't been since 2006ish when all the Stars started using BB's and everyone wanted one. There began the consumer base. To ignore that and give it up without a fight was idiotic! Forget YouTube videos, forget word of mouth, forget hopeful enterprise sales...buy some TV spots. If I see an Apple commercial 4 times a day, I'm lucky, because it could have easily been 8 or more. IS this not a basic concept? Am I missing something? If you want to sell a product, it needs to be brought forefront to the attention of the consumer, they are not going to look for something that they don't know exists.
    09-27-15 09:21 AM
    So basically you want BlackBerry to advertise and tell everyone that "buy our phones! We don't have apps!"?

Advertising is not cheap and if BlackBerry doesn't offer what the majority of consumer wants, then they'll burn through that $3.5bil in no time.

The highlighted sentence is one that is the most frustrating for me every time I see it.( or any variant of it) I'm not saying they would have sold millions and millions more, but Chen's ridiculous idea to exclude consumers from BB devices is more confusing to me than the first time I saw a Rubiks Cube. Is it not obvious that sales will be lower and lower when you leave out and not market to the consumer base?? BB is not an enterprise only device company anymore and hasn't been since 2006ish when all the Stars started using BB's and everyone wanted one. There began the consumer base. To ignore that and give it up without a fight was idiotic! Forget YouTube videos, forget word of mouth, forget hopeful enterprise sales...buy some TV spots. If I see an Apple commercial 4 times a day, I'm lucky, because it could have easily been 8 or more. IS this not a basic concept? Am I missing something? If you want to sell a product, it needs to be brought forefront to the attention of the consumer, they are not going to look for something that they don't know exists.

09-27-15 11:16 AM
    BB10 should have been available for licensing to 3rd parties.
    Heins started shopping BB10 around to licensees back in spring of 2012, almost a year before release. They were still looking for licensees during the "strategic review" (aka "for sale sign") in fall of 2013. The fact is that BB10 has always been available for licensing - it's just that no one could see a business case for licensing it.
    Tatwi, sentimentGX4 and cgk like this.
    09-27-15 12:26 PM
    Heins started shopping BB10 around to licensees back in spring of 2012, almost a year before release. They were still looking for licensees during the "strategic review" (aka "for sale sign") in fall of 2013. The fact is that BB10 has always been available for licensing - it's just that no one could see a business case for licensing it.
    You would make a better business case for throwing money straight into a fire - the business processes would be easy to map and it would require a small workforce but one with strong arms to lift the shovels.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    09-27-15 01:19 PM
    You would make a better business case for throwing money straight into a fire - the business processes would be easy to map and it would require a small workforce but one with strong arms to lift the shovels.
    Plus, it helps lower the winter heating bill!
    cgk likes this.
    09-27-15 01:38 PM
    BlackBerry's approach to selling phones has been ridiculous. Quite often I will read something akin to "Chen is a smart businessman. He knows how to make money and knows this business better than the rest of us." While that may be true, it certainly does not mean the guy has been making the right decisions for BlackBerry.

While I am not discounting Chen's intellectual capabilities, for the life of me I cannot comprehend why he felt so compelled to play the game of "if I can't make the handset division profitable, I am going to turf it" and be so public with that declaration. The BlackBerry brand was one of continually giving it one last shot with each phone...one last shot at finding a hit.....or else!!! Whoever thought this was a good brand image or would lead to longterm growth??

Even with the move to Android the feeling is that if it does not sell then the hardware division is going to be scuttled. So, you are telling me that BlackBerry devoted huge dollars and resources to making the Priv and if its first effort is not a runaway success then they are folding up the hardware division and not making another Android phone?? Really?? So, BlackBerry is now that drunk guy in a fight wildly throwing swings hoping to connect??

And, if they do connect, what next?? Is there a plan, or another wild swing?

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende and DrBoomBotz like this.
    09-27-15 02:13 PM
    WebOS had the same problem. QNX is in a lot of stuff though, so hopefully BlackBerry doesn't find a way to screw that up too.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 03:47 PM
    What Chen says is just a spin. It was better to say that Enterprise wants BlackBerry than saying the truth which was that consumers do not want our product. Saying that BlackBerry Android can be more secure than other Androids is also a spin.
    09-27-15 03:58 PM
    We've heard this before.
    This ^ too... :-D

No offense...

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    09-27-15 11:20 PM
    What Chen says is just a spin. It was better to say that Enterprise wants BlackBerry than saying the truth which was that consumers do not want our product. Saying that BlackBerry Android can be more secure than other Androids is also a spin.
    Agreed to a certain extend.

An OS with old bugs still being discovered on a regular basis, critical security holes dating back to the ice ages of Frozen Yogurt and earlier ... :-)

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    09-27-15 11:23 PM
    So basically you want BlackBerry to advertise and tell everyone that "buy our phones! We don't have apps!"?

Advertising is not cheap and if BlackBerry doesn't offer what the majority of consumer wants, then they'll burn through that $3.5bil in no time.

Well, what came first, the chicken or the egg? You have to spend money to make money. Developers definitely wont come without consumers, but you're more likely to grab some consumers before apps. There's enough to get started, then grow from there.
    So your option is to be reactive rather than proactive.
    09-28-15 07:40 AM
    What I'm saying is some faithful BlackBerry fans need to accept the fact that BB10 won't sell because there are no big name apps to attract buyers. Once they find out that BB10 phones don't have native apps like Instagram, Snapchat etc... they're going to return the device and that will leave a sour taste in mouth. And BlackBerry would lose more money when customers return they're products because they're not satisfied. All the money spent on R&D to selling the phones would end up making BlackBerry lose even more money instead. So wouldn't it be wise to stop making phones at all and just focus on software? Mr. Chen is giving Android a shot because he wants to see if the app gap is the #1 reason.

BlackBerry can advertise all it wants with that $3.5 billion and Mr. Chen knows that it's a not a wise move. He's exploring other options like making the Priv an Android device and focuses more resources on software because that's what BlackBerry is good at. By going Android, BlackBerry is able to reduce the costs of paying people to build drivers, hardware and software development. Hence, with that saving going from BB10 to Android for the Priv, BlackBerry can use that to advertise and doesn't have to worry about the app gap. Without a strong app ecosystem, your phones are not going to sell because this current market, people live and breathe apps.

Some people want to know why BlackBerry couldn't use the latest specs on BlackBerry 10 devices? Companies like Qualcomm is not going to give BlackBerry priority when they make their chips because BlackBerry's market share is too small. Whenever they build a chip, they're not going to write drivers for BlackBerry first because they're too busy writing the codes for Android and other bigger fish in the sea. That's the main reason why BlackBerry gets all the outdated specs 90% of the time.

So all in all, let Mr. Chen do his part and we just sit back and watch. BlackBerry 10 devices provide end to end solutions so it won't go away anytime soon but will probably only cater to a niche market.

Well, what came first, the chicken or the egg? You have to spend money to make money. Developers definitely wont come without consumers, but you're more likely to grab some consumers before apps. There's enough to get started, then grow from there.
    So your option is to be reactive rather than proactive.

09-28-15 08:42 AM
38 12