I got up to get my daily fix of news on RIM and this is one of the articles I stumbled across. By John C. Dvorak. How can we plaster his name all over the internet negatively. I would like to end his journalism career. Read for yourself : It?s BlackBerry?s time to shine - MarketWatch
    01-07-13 08:24 AM
    Its not exactly those most inaccurate article. Unfortunately. But like the title says... Time to shine!!!
    01-07-13 08:35 AM
    It's a lightweight opinion piece with no depth and only 'conclusions', conclusions which we know are wrong and since they're not supported by any reasoning, we can't even provide a counter argument.

If he thinks the "only" thing wrong with the iPhone is that the physical button is prone to failure, and hasn't given a second's thought to the QNX OS vs. iOS or Android, I don't really know why MarketWatch, a site for investors which SHOULD be full of actual analysis and conclusions based on a hard analysis of hard data, well, it's more of an indictment of MarketWatch than of Dvorak... that article should be been back on C|Net where it belongs or on BGR.... but MarketWatch is a Viacom site like C|Net, so maybe it's that Viacom now just shuffles content around wherever there are gaps to fill.

But we already knew that C|Net by Viacom is not the came as C|Net of 'yore' or even Ziff-Davis. It's oversimplified populist click whoring.

Here's the text of the article so you don't even have to give C|Net the "page view".

BERKELEY, Calif. (MarketWatch) — If there was ever a turnaround candidate in the handset business, it has to be Research In Motion Ltd., which still hopes to compete in the smartphone game with a new offering expected this quarter.Photos have been leaked of a new RIM(US:RIMM) phone which shows pretty much what every smartphone now looks like — a rectangular object with a black screen and no buttons.
    RIM had made earlier failed attempts at the full touch-screen phone concept — the BlackBerry Storm in 2008 — right in the midst of iPhone mania part one. It got nowhere and it retreated.
    Then right in the middle of iPad mania, it tried to do a tablet called the PlayBook.
    Of all the tablets on the market, the PlayBook was the most useless because it needed to attach to a Blackberry phone to do email. Bad timing with a bad product doesn’t make for success.

It was this last gaffe that slammed the company as it retreated into what it did best: make little keyboard phones that you could type on fast.
    What has always been missing from the equation is the fact that BlackBerry users liked their BlackBerrys and liked the little keyboard. How do you keep these customers?
    I have a wild solution for RIM. Make a thin phone with a traditional keyboard and little screen on one side of the phone and a full screen smartphone on the other side of the phone. Voila! Finder’s fee anyone?
    RIM will have to do something that radical to get back in the game, although I have noticed an interesting trend as die-hard BlackBerry and feature phone users slowly move to smartphones. It appears as if a lot of these people do not like smartphones at all.
    They find apps to be confusing and difficult to figure out. They cannot understand downloading. They think some of the features are just dumb.
    And people who do a lot of business on their phones complain bitterly about no keyboard.
    I’ve always believed that the smartphone of the future will be the cheap disposable phone because it will eventually be cheap to make. There are no moving parts, just a screen, a cheap processor and some memory. At some point the cost of manufacturing has got to fall to $5.
    Right now I’m told the cheapest you can make a good multiband smartphone is about $40 worth of parts. This has got to drop to nothing in the next few years.
    And there are no moving parts.
    From what I can tell, the main flaw in the iPhone is the actual button. My son has an iPhone with a button that stopped working making the phone unusable.
    Now it is possible that RIM could bring out a dumb smartphone that will satisfy the people who do not like smartphones and also satisfy the smartphone users who loved their BlackBerrys. But the RIM missteps, especially the PlayBook, indicate otherwise.
    From my experience, you don’t suddenly start getting everything right after getting so much wrong. So, I’d be cautious about speculating in the stock until real progress is shown.

01-07-13 08:37 AM
    He does make a few truthful points, but one thing that struck me as pretty bizarre is that he seems to be insinuating that a BlackBerry is somehow a step below a "smartphone". So what exactly can a "smartphone" do that a BlackBerry can't?
    01-07-13 08:37 AM
    Its not exactly those most inaccurate article. Unfortunately. But like the title says... Time to shine!!!
    I can tell you didn't read the article in it's entirety. Read it again. This time slowly.
    dieseldude likes this.
    01-07-13 08:44 AM
    You've got one too many '*' in the title!

There is nothing even remotely showing the author's knowledge of the current situation, which would indicate that he is not knowledgable of the situation and should therefore be ignored.

Si.
    01-07-13 08:47 AM
    He does make a few truthful points, but one thing that struck me as pretty bizarre is that he seems to be insinuating that a BlackBerry is somehow a step below a "smartphone". So what exactly can a "smartphone" do that a BlackBerry can't?
    That was the exact point that made me upset. My blackberry 7 OS blows iOS out of the water as far as efficiency and productivity, my girlfriend always asks me to look something up, gps or just search and she is always impressed by how quick I can do it VS her on her Iphone. Also the stupid author stated that once an Iphone button is broken, you can not use the phone. Shows how "un-smart" he is. There is a software work around for no home button but that's a topic for another website. I hate trash journalism and that's exactly what this is. Speaking from his experience on BB OS 4 when we are on to OS 7.1. This is what the majority of the non-BB users remember about blackberry hahahah. That is why it's so funny.
    magutwit likes this.
    01-07-13 08:49 AM
    I can tell you didn't read the article in it's entirety. Read it again. This time slowly.
    Funny, I guess you had a 50/50 shot. I did read the article so why don't you let us power readers know what's so interesting about this article
    Blacklatino and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    01-07-13 08:49 AM
    It's not that a BB can't do them, it's how quickly and efficiently can it do them compared to the iPhone and Android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    01-07-13 08:53 AM
    seems a rather pointless article to me.... adds nothing to the current conversaton reguarding RIM or the smartphone industry in gerneral.....
    01-07-13 08:57 AM
    seems a rather pointless article to me.... adds nothing to the current conversaton reguarding RIM or the smartphone industry in gerneral.....
    Exactly...
    01-07-13 09:01 AM
    It's not that a BB can't do them, it's how quickly and efficiently can it do them compared to the iPhone and Android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    As BlackberryTorcher mentioned earlier, there are quite a number of tasks I can accomplish leaps and bounds quicker than my friends on iOS and Android, much to their amazement. OS 7 may still be related to previous versions of BBOS, but the experience has come a long way - I've never had to do a battery pull on my 9810, and rarely ever see the "spinning clock" people used to complain about. On the other hand, these are problems I dealt with quite often when I had my 9780 on OS 6.
    01-07-13 09:03 AM
    Ya... Just an op-ed.

Opinions are a lot like @55 holes....
    01-07-13 09:06 AM
    I think Dvorak has lost his mind. His idea of a double-sided phone is just stupid and it'd never work - I suspect he was being facetious though. He mentions that RIM retreated back to keyboards after the Storm and the PlayBook, which isn't true - the keyboard models never went away, and neither did their continuation on keyboard-less devices. Storm 2, the Torch slider, the Torch 9850/9860, and their continued support of the PlayBook. He also regurgitates the idea that the PlayBook was worthless because it didn't initially have native email and required a BB. The primary use of a tablet is web browsing, reading (web/ebooks/news reader), and games. The PlayBook does fantastic on those fronts. I think the native email that is on it now is great (the calendar is my favorite of the PIM features), and continues to be supported through updates and is supposed to get some form of BB10 as well. RIM never retreated - they just didn't execute well. I bought a launch PlayBook (and several more since), and I never regretted it. I use it everyday and it's a fantastic device. The issues with the Storm went away after software updates (well, other than the application memory limitation that plagued all BBs - which is proof that there were Apps on BB, it's just that we could only load so many before the need to pull the battery all the time). I actually could type very fast on my Storm. While I like my 9850, I do loathe the keyboard (it always registers keys wrong or several times or not at all).

The worst thing about this article is the way he equates BB users to dumb phone users. I bet he never used a BlackBerry and is largely ignorant of what a BB has been able to do and what its strengths are (other than the keyboard).
    gravymonster and RocPlayr like this.
    01-07-13 09:07 AM
    Dvorak has always had a knack for being... "outspoken". I personally like him; been reading him off and on since the 80s.

In this case, though, his editorial was hastily thrown together and relies more on his own anecdotal observations than anything else. It's worth remembering, though, that as we approach the launch we're going to see a lot of wary commentators
    01-07-13 09:07 AM
    John C. Dvorak is well known in the tech world as a curmudgeon. I remember him predicting that nobody would want to buy an iPhone when the first generation was announced. I used to enjoy listening to him on a popular tech podcast. His modus operandi is to grump about everything. He is seldom correct in his predictions.
    01-07-13 09:10 AM
    I think Dvorak has lost his mind. His idea of a double-sided phone is just stupid and it'd never work - I suspect he was being facetious though. He mentions that RIM retreated back to keyboards after the Storm and the PlayBook, which isn't true - the keyboard models never went away, and neither did their continuation on keyboard-less devices. Storm 2, the Torch slider, the Torch 9850/9860, and their continued support of the PlayBook. He also regurgitates the idea that the PlayBook was worthless because it didn't initially have native email and required a BB. The primary use of a tablet is web browsing, reading (web/ebooks/news reader), and games. The PlayBook does fantastic on those fronts. I think the native email that is on it now is great (the calendar is my favorite of the PIM features), and continues to be supported through updates and is supposed to get some form of BB10 as well. RIM never retreated - they just didn't execute well. I bought a launch PlayBook (and several more since), and I never regretted it. I use it everyday and it's a fantastic device. The issues with the Storm went away after software updates (well, other than the application memory limitation that plagued all BBs - which is proof that there were Apps on BB, it's just that we could only load so many before the need to pull the battery all the time). I actually could type very fast on my Storm. While I like my 9850, I do loathe the keyboard (it always registers keys wrong or several times or not at all).

The worst thing about this article is the way he equates BB users to dumb phone users. I bet he never used a BlackBerry and is largely ignorant of what a BB has been able to do and what its strengths are (other than the keyboard).
    I think he actually used a BB back when they had the pearl and that is this knowledge he uses to speculate about the current state of RIM. I think he needs to be fired, my opinion, what he did could be considered slander.
    01-07-13 09:18 AM
    Unless he PHYSICALLY attacked you or your offspring, this is not a reasonable reaction.
    01-07-13 09:25 AM
    Ya... Just an op-ed.
    Exactly.
    01-07-13 09:26 AM
    let me get the facts right - you want to destroy somebody's life because he has a negative impression/opinion on an unreleased device which you plan on buying?

your malicious intents are worse than that of the most hardcore apple fanboys and i am reporting your post

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-07-13 09:37 AM
    let me get the facts right - you want to destroy somebody's life because he has a negative impression/opinion on an unreleased device which you plan on buying?

your malicious intents are worse than that of the most hardcore apple fanboys and i am reporting your post

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    well he's a writer what do we expect him to write. seems funny he wants to knock RIM/BB when he himself is competing in a sea of faceless brainless writers with no accountability begging for eyeballs and ad revenue. They guy is just another *****, as an example he says no moving parts, well lets see; 3 media buttons - 1 power button and the vibrating motor. I'd be happy to see the guy in a soup kitchen line up.
    BlackberryTorcher likes this.
    01-07-13 09:55 AM
    Wow. Relax people.
    Moonbase0ne and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    01-07-13 09:58 AM
    John Dvorak was the "crabby old curmudgeon" on "TechTV" back when Paul Allen owned it. I think you'll have to excuse him, he's been out of touch since Windows 98 and I suspect he's never used Apple OSX, he's pathetic.
    BlackberryTorcher likes this.
    01-07-13 10:02 AM
    Let's be realistic here, he does have some points. I love my bb, but i know it can't do what android and iPhone can do, i can admit that, can you? Of course bb10 can not only do, but do better than the two aforementioned companies. That's easy for us to see, but much more difficult for the mainstream phone/smartphone user to see. The 2 things that bb has always done better are email, and security. They fell behind everywhere else, and the majority of you can't seem to see that. Maybe once we all realize the failures, we can move on to a more positive success.

The PB is a great device, now. We all know what is was missing when it came out, and bridge didn't make up for those shortcomings. There is so much negativity surrounding the PB, and it's really a shame because this device can really perform.

I know that RIM won't be number 1 or 2 again, and I can live with that. I want number 3, because that's honest and realistic. They will always be my personal number 1 choice.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-07-13 10:04 AM
    at least he is talking about BB10, sort of, RIM seems like a big blur to him, he does not distinguish the
    old and new OS, his opinion might be representative of a lot of people...
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-07-13 10:05 AM
132 123 ...