Jim B has retired from RIM!
    03-29-12 04:04 PM
    Funny how this is now seen as a good move. About this time last year when people were saying the Co-CEOs needed to go, all the BB fanboys were saying how great they were and how much they've done for the industry and they aren't the problem and blah blah blah. Now it's a great move. I guess putting a positive spin on everything helps you stay an addict. The contradiction from month to month amongst the diehards is interesting though.
    03-29-12 04:19 PM
    I don't know. I'm a bit bearish now. One of the founders retire (never a good sign) and the company stops quantitative guidance while saying things will be bad through 2013.

This is a sign of a company on its last gasp. No matter how good the product maybe, the company is losing faith in itself. Bad news all around for BB fans. I hope they pull through. Can't imagine the day I have to give up my BB and buy a dumb phone like iPhone or Android.
    03-29-12 04:27 PM
    Funny how this is now seen as a good move. About this time last year when people were saying the Co-CEOs needed to go, all the BB fanboys were saying how great they were and how much they've done for the industry and they aren't the problem and blah blah blah. Now it's a great move. I guess putting a positive spin on everything helps you stay an addict. The contradiction from month to month amongst the diehards is interesting though.
    People have been calling for both their heads for quite some time now, because they were not implementing the change they needed to at an adequate pace and were putting resources in places they should not have been (see massive f*ck up of the Playbook, a tablet that shouldn't exist).

Jim & Mike are truthfully the main reasons RIM is in the predicament its in. When people were calling for a better OS, they were adamant that the minor revisions in OS5/6/7 were all that were needed. Not only that but they failed immensely to provide adequate hardware for a market that demands top tier specs to run with the big boys.

They need to get Jim out of there and really get some fresh blood in there, and try to dig themselves out the hole those two clowns put them in.
    03-29-12 04:40 PM
    Looks like Bettman won.

Last edited by VanCity778; 03-29-12 at 10:25 PM.
    FSeverino likes this.
    03-29-12 10:23 PM
    Yes, "retired"..... Is that what we're calling 'fired' these days?
    purijagmohan and Magnesus like this.
    03-29-12 11:16 PM
    Every organization, board, and CEO has its natural life cycle. Some recognize when the time has come and others don't. Jim B may be a bit overipe, but not too far gone to recognize that his time has arrived to leave.
    03-30-12 12:38 AM
    Funny how after a year of constantly and relentlessly being bashed and ridiculed he decides to leave. Why wouldn't he stay?

Seemed like Kevin was excited to post that in the blog. Did Jim snub him or something?

Think Jimmy B won vs Bettman, remember make it 7? But I guess it was Bettmans goal for Jim to retire,haha.
    03-30-12 12:58 AM
    Yes, "retired"..... Is that what we're calling 'fired' these days?
    Bingo ... retired = resigned = fired ... All synonyms in corporate parlance ... LOL
    03-30-12 02:44 AM
    Bingo ... retired = resigned = fired ... All synonyms in corporate parlance ... LOL
    what corporation do you work for? Most corporations see those designations as very different. Either way, good to see you see humor in someone being 'fired'.
    03-30-12 02:48 AM
    what corporation do you work for? Most corporations see those designations as very different. Either way, good to see you see humor in someone being 'fired'.
    Would you rather have him run the company to the ground after lying to the investors at every single earnings call.Look where that denial got him and the company.
    03-30-12 02:53 AM
    my old boss 'retired' as well
    i hope i never have to 'retire'
    purijagmohan and Magnesus like this.
    03-30-12 02:56 AM
    Funny how after a year of constantly and relentlessly being bashed and ridiculed he decides to leave. Why wouldn't he stay?

Seemed like Kevin was excited to post that in the blog. Did Jim snub him or something?

Think Jimmy B won vs Bettman, remember make it 7? But I guess it was Bettmans goal for Jim to retire,haha.
    well... he did make it OS7...

too soon?
    03-30-12 02:58 AM
    well... he did make it OS7...

too soon?
    Jim has accomplised far more than anyone here ever will
    VanCity778 likes this.
    03-30-12 03:02 AM
    the NHL bid to MAKE it 7 teams in canada... he lost that so people were saying that he 'lost' to the NHL... i was saying at least he made it to OS 7 before 'retiring' so he 'won' something. he held on a lot longer then everyone thought, or RIM messed up for longer depending on your view
    03-30-12 03:06 AM
    Would you rather have him run the company to the ground after lying to the investors at every single earnings call.Look where that denial got him and the company.
    Its so nice having so many bb fans on this site always adding valuable information and not regurgitating the exact same thing over and over again. I wonder what Jim will do now with his millions of dollars and nothing but free time. He was definitely involved in a lot of other things other than RIM. I'm sure he'll keep busy.
    03-30-12 03:07 AM
    the NHL bid to MAKE it 7 teams in canada... he lost that so people were saying that he 'lost' to the NHL... i was saying at least he made it to OS 7 before 'retiring' so he 'won' something. he held on a lot longer then everyone thought, or RIM messed up for longer depending on your view
    How many NHL teams are in Canada right now?

RIM is still in business. I realise people want instant gratification but a lot can change in 2 years. Look where RIM was 2 years ago.
    03-30-12 03:10 AM
    Its so nice having so many bb fans on this site always adding valuable information and not regurgitating the exact same thing over and over again. I wonder what Jim will do now with his millions of dollars and nothing but free time. He was definitely involved in a lot of other things other than RIM. I'm sure he'll keep busy.
    Ohh I am sure he will after all he has been well paid for his past efforts.See he has already made his millions/ billions so that sort of gives him right to run the company to the ground, especially when it's investors money ... I mean it's a public company after all ...

It's so very easy to be forgiving when one's own neck is not on the line, Don't u think?
    03-30-12 03:11 AM
    ummm there are 7 and RIM was doing better 2 years ago
    i dont know the point you are making...

i wasnt saying whether the nhl bid or his 'retirement' was good or bad in MY mind, just what 'people' said.
    03-30-12 03:14 AM
    purijagmohan: You think he wanted to stock price to go down? He lost a LOT more money than any single investor did. Him retiring has nothing to do with stock price. It amazes me how arrogant people can be. What billion dollar company did you help create?

FSeverino: its not good to just repeat what other people said. You should think for yourself. My point, after Jim didnt get the coyotes he said he hopes his efforts help make it closer to canada having one more team in the NHL, guess what, canada has one more team.

2 years ago RIM didnt have 77 millions subscribers or the renuve they have now. But my point is anything can happen in 2 years. One things for certain is that the mobile markets will be drastically different than they are now.
    Last edited by hurds; 03-30-12 at 03:28 AM.
    03-30-12 03:25 AM
    I'm sure the two founders were good for the company for quite awhile. Just not anymore.

Just as Jerry Yang was good for Yahoo in the beginning. Let's face it, those companies wouldn't even exist without 'em. But the time comes when you just gotta go. The world changes and you're married to the past, you need fresh ideas.
    03-30-12 03:27 AM
    purijagmohan: Public money? Its called private investors. You think he wanted to stock price to go down? He lost a LOT more money than any single investor did. Him retiring has nothing to do with stock price. It amazes me how arrogant people can be. What billion dollar company did you help create?

FSeverino: its not good to just repeat what other people said. You should think for yourself. My point, after Jim didnt get the coyotes he said he hopes his efforts help make it closer to canada having one more team in the NHL, guess what, canada has one more team.

2 years ago RIM didnt have 77 millions subscribers or the renuve they have now. But my point is anything can happen in 2 years. One things for certain is that the mobile markets will be drastically different than they are now.

i agree 100% as you can see i am very opinionated. but sometimes when you are making a joke the vast generalizations and stereotypes are what makes the joke funny.
    jim put a lot into the nhl bid and i remember everyone i know signing the petition and 'preaching' the bid to everyone they knew... if he could do THAT for RIM right now that would be amazing. i PERSONALLY think he did 'win' just like you said... but that wouldnt make the joke that funny.
    03-30-12 03:31 AM
    i agree 100% as you can see i am very opinionated. but sometimes when you are making a joke the vast generalizations and stereotypes are what makes the joke funny.
    jim put a lot into the nhl bid and i remember everyone i know signing the petition and 'preaching' the bid to everyone they knew... if he could do THAT for RIM right now that would be amazing. i PERSONALLY think he did 'win' just like you said... but that wouldnt make the joke that funny.
    Ya, I just think its sad how much the media has disparaged him and Mike L. They are extremely smart men who have had an profound affect on the world and the future of technology. I guess I'm just a little more humble than most in realizing they've done far more than I may ever hope to accomplish. But I still got time
    03-30-12 03:40 AM
    purijagmohan: You think he wanted to stock price to go down? He lost a LOT more money than any single investor did. Him retiring has nothing to do with stock price. It amazes me how arrogant people can be. What billion dollar company did you help create?
    So your argument is that because he created the company therefore it gives him the right to run that to the ground.Your profound lack of understanding of how a public corporation is supposed to work clearly reflects in your dumb comments.

If he wanted that right he should have kept it private like so many other businesses.Company is public for God's sake, he worked there like any other employee.He was given the responsibility by the board on behalf of investors to run the company judiciously.

Instead he ran it to the ground.You expect investors to be forgiving of him for that? So easy isn't it after all it's not your money ...
    Last edited by purijagmohan; 03-30-12 at 03:47 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
    03-30-12 03:46 AM
    you may have time, but so does jim
    03-30-12 03:46 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD