"After surveying carriers around the globe in early November, however, his opinion changed. "And it was stunning we came back with 40 or 50 carriers saying they were actively going to push this device," Misek said. "They were going to support it. They were going to provide co-marketing dollars and really key in-store placement.""

"By April or May, Misek said investors will know whether the launch of the new smartphone proves successful. In his opinion, selling 3 to 5 million units "out of the gate" in the first quarter and more than 5 million units after that would be a "very good" launch."

"We actually think that BB 10 is a solid operating system," he said. "What's neat about it is it actually can actually emulate Android apps," he said.

At the launch, the BlackBerry platform will have about 100,000 apps with an additional 200,000 to 300,000 Android apps that will be available on the Android player, he added.

"It actually does provide some advantages that current Android OSs do not," he said

Most Likely Buyers for RIM? Here Are Two
    Bumble2000 likes this.
    12-20-12 01:12 PM
    At the launch, the BlackBerry platform will have about 100,000 apps with an additional 200,000 to 300,000 Android apps that will be available on the Android player, he added.
    Oh boy...this is a dangerous statement, haven't we learned from the broken dreams of the Playbook regarding anything that contains Native Android code? Either that, or RIM has upgraded the Android player and have incorporated a Bluestacks type integration into the OS. For now, I have to be cautious; once bite, twice shy.
    MisterMe11 likes this.
    12-20-12 01:22 PM
    Oh boy...this is a dangerous statement, haven't we learned from the broken dreams of the Playbook regarding anything that contains Native Android code? Either that, or RIM has upgraded the Android player and have incorporated a Bluestacks type integration into the OS. For now, I have to be cautious; once bite, twice shy.
    The key is quality over quantity.
    There are a lot of duplicate apps. Do you really need 1000 flashlight apps, or 1000 solitaire games? Do a search in the Android app store and there are at least that many of those apps. Same with the apple store.
    12-20-12 02:24 PM
    RIM will need to sell 18 million units to breakeven:

Bet on RIM to Take No. 3 Spot: Pro - CNBC
    12-20-12 05:24 PM
    12-20-12 05:29 PM
    What Peter Misek said he is comparing is to iphone!
    How many apps do people really need?
    My friends son did an app for Android and he has 1 person who downloaded and it was his father.
    But you still count it as 1 of the hundred thousands.
    12-20-12 07:24 PM
    3 to 5 mil in Q1 would be great. The supply pipeline is going to be critical for that one.

In other words, RIM really, REALLY needs to have handsets out to the carriers as soon as humanly possible after the launch, since that's already a third of Q1 gone.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-20-12 07:28 PM
    3-5 million in the quarter where the quarter has already started is acceptable imo. Still waiting for Telus to start the pre-sale/reservation. I think being on the list is the best thing someone can do to support it. It will help to create buzzzz even before launch.
    12-21-12 06:50 AM
    Thanks for posting this. RIM will probably get accused of saying it too.

I'd personally be happy if they said something like:

They launched the PlayBook with 3000 apps. They launched BlackBerry 10 with 70,000. Gets the same point across without promising something insane.
    MisterMe11 and Bumble2000 like this.
    12-21-12 07:13 AM
    RIM will need to sell 18 million units to breakeven:
    According to this analyst's guess. Let's stop acting like their (often educated) guesses are actual facts. They're quite often wrong.
    12-21-12 07:14 AM
    300,000 to 400,000 apps at launch? I will really believe that when I see it. When I navigate the PlayBook app store, I see a lot more book apps than I would like. I hope those disappear from the app store in BB10.
    12-21-12 07:19 AM
    this ratio of is extremely worrying.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-21-12 12:39 PM
    The key is quality over quantity.
    There are a lot of duplicate apps. Do you really need 1000 flashlight apps, or 1000 solitaire games? Do a search in the Android app store and there are at least that many of those apps. Same with the apple store.
    I agree key is quality over quantity...but what if these were not mutually exclusive: quality AND quantity :-). From a developer point of view, the RIM 10K commitment is motivating not only quantity but also quality with requirements for apps to be tested and certified to be "built for blackberry". It is a very smart program.
    12-21-12 06:44 PM
    I agree key is quality over quantity...but what if these were not mutually exclusive: quality AND quantity :-). From a developer point of view, the RIM 10K commitment is motivating not only quantity but also quality with requirements for apps to be tested and certified to be "built for blackberry". It is a very smart program.
    I used to think that it would only bring a bunch of no name indie devs with nothing substantial to bring to the ecosystem but now looking at the standards RIM has palce to qualify and the kinds of apps folks are making. . .I think a we will see some no name devs but a lot of unique apps that may surprise us . . .maybe . . .lol
    12-21-12 06:59 PM
    3 to 5 mil in Q1 would be great. The supply pipeline is going to be critical for that one.

In other words, RIM really, REALLY needs to have handsets out to the carriers as soon as humanly possible after the launch, since that's already a third of Q1 gone.
    Realistically, a fair amount of carriers would need hardware by the time of the launch to avoid there being ongoing shortages, which is why I think that availability in the first places to stock bb10 might actually be a lot less than people will be expecting, if not from the 30th itself.
    12-22-12 03:25 AM

The title is a bit misleading. Misek isn't talking about Q1-13 he's talking about FQ1-14. Calendar quarter one is not the same as the financial quarter.. RIM's fiscal year runs until March 1st. If they fill the channel in February they will be going full speed by the time RIM's new fiscal year starts. That explains this, "By April or May, Misek said."
    12-22-12 02:25 PM