In this interview J.Chen says that he will make phones for the consumer market as long as it's profitable. I can't imagine not using a BlackBerry as I don't like any other OS or platform. Hopefully BlackBerry will be around for many more years to come.
    07-10-14 10:14 AM
    I wonder how much money "make money" means???
    I'm scared too. I love BlackBerry phones!
    07-10-14 10:18 AM
    I wonder how much money "make money" means???
    I'm scared too. I love BlackBerry phones!
    Well in regards to that, I think BlackBerry has stated that they need to sell about 100 million dollars in the phone world to break even. So 100 million??
    07-10-14 10:20 AM
    He's a business man: if phones are profitable, and during the AGM he said that it would take sales of ten million a year to make money, then he'll sell them. If ont, then BlackBerry can pivot towards services for revenue. This is an old interview anyway so there's nothing new here.
    07-10-14 10:22 AM
    He previously said they can ,make money at 10M sales. If they can;t sell 10M then they should get out.

An that is a very low bar. There will be 2Billion phone users soon and with phones lasting 2-3yrs that means about $750M phones per year is the market. This means only 1-1.5% of the total market can make money.

They are already in that range although stats for such low market shares are never accurate since error will be +/-3-5% for most polls.

I expect we will see real marketing for Passport and Classic, targeted marketing but real marketing.
    07-10-14 10:39 AM

In this interview J.Chen says that he will make phones for the consumer market as long as it's profitable. I can't imagine not using a BlackBerry as I don't like any other OS or platform. Hopefully BlackBerry will be around for many more years to come.
    Listen to the whole interview. There is nothing that gives me concern. He touts end to end encryption with phones. He also says that they are close to breaking even on the phones.
    07-10-14 11:01 AM