I'm in Tokyo Japan visiting, and this is my experience carrying around a blackberry z10 in an iPhone and Samsung dominated city.

They first think it's a big iPhone and instantly want it, but when I show them what it can do with the hub, toast previews, quick switching, and having "line" installed from snap, they love it and really want one. They look at their iPhone and then mine and look down a little on their iphone.

I have even gone to a few phone companies and phone distributors in Tokyo and they have told me they get asked daily about blackberry, especially the new ones like z10, z30 and the q10. They have told me they regret they don't have it and are generally upset that they don't. They don't know how it works for many have never seen it but are impressed big time when shown how it's different and waaay more efficient than the iPhone when it comes to messaging and app switching. They also noticed it was faster for me to swipe around on my phone rather than pressing the home button over and over.

I know Japan misses blackberry a little for I still see legacy 9900's and others being used by men in business suits all around Japan. There still is a demand for keyboard phones in Japan and blackberry is it. BlackBerry is the ONLY option I have seen in Japan for keyboard!

Now, I'm not speaking for the whole country about the attitude towards blackberry, but I think with proper marketing, there would be a little room for BlackBerry in the not so crowded phone market in Japan.

I really hope that they think about launching the next all touch device there.

Btw, I didn't see any windows phone anywhere. Nobody sells them and nobody has had one in the wild in Japan that I have noticed.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 03:10 AM
    Good stuff, but are you sure the frequencies supported by BlackBerry?

Sent from a mobile device via Tapatalk
    04-15-14 03:20 AM
    Yeah, Japanese were always ahead of their time.
    04-15-14 04:22 AM
    Hmm here's hoping japan gets BB10 soon. But yes a native naver line app is compulsory. No one would buy any phone without line. Same case with we chat in china.

But in the end I dont see BB10 being as successful in japan as the iphone.

Japan is a highly creative country, art and culture are major lifestyle influences and in that its hard to beat the "designer" apple product.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-15-14 05:22 AM
    Hmm here's hoping japan gets BB10 soon. But yes a native naver line app is compulsory. No one would buy any phone without line. Same case with we chat in china.

But in the end I dont see BB10 being as successful in japan as the iphone.

Japan is a highly creative country, art and culture are major lifestyle influences and in that its hard to beat the "designer" apple product.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    Japan is a busy country and efficient and productive BlackBerry 10 definitely suit Japanese style. BlackBerry need Partner to get into the market for example, license the BlackBerry 10 OS to Sony. BlackBerry doesn't need to fight alone. Anyone with me?

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 06:34 AM
    I'm with ANDY_BB_KING

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 06:38 AM
    Without flowing screen
    How to enjoy lovely
    Apple blossoms?

Posted via CB10 on a Z10
    04-15-14 03:41 PM
    Japan is a busy country and efficient and productive BlackBerry 10 definitely suit Japanese style. BlackBerry need Partner to get into the market for example, license the BlackBerry 10 OS to Sony. BlackBerry doesn't need to fight alone. Anyone with me?

Posted via CB10
    I would love to have a Sony with BlackBerry 10 and/or BBM on Sony products, PS4!

C0020AFC4
    04-15-14 04:00 PM
    Is Japanese language and keyboard good on BB10? Just curious. I remember hearing it wasn't.
    04-15-14 04:22 PM
    Need to rebrand the OS for that to something like QNX for example

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 04:29 PM
    Is Japanese language and keyboard good on BB10? Just curious. I remember hearing it wasn't.
    It works in 99.99 percent the same way (some small variances like having to push the spacebar etc). I have English US/UK and Japanese setup on my device. Works well AND the Canadian spelling of words is recognized.

Basically NTT Docomo is the only provider which has BIS plans, which is why 9900's are still around. It was pretty much the last BlackBerry sold in Japan through carriers.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    04-15-14 04:37 PM