My OS6 based Torch is giving me nothing but problems, and if I had no choice but to buy a new phone today, Would i pay $650 for a OS7 torch or go pay $650 for a modern phone with a modern OS?
    AT&T may have inadvertently helped RIM out here in the U.S. It shortened the upgrade period for those (like me) who picked up the 9800 in August 2010, allowing an upgrade -- for only $49 -- to the 9810 only 12 months later, instead of the usual 19 months. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought that there was a new upgrade period of 12 months and bought the 9810, thinking that a switch could always be made another 12 months later, in August 2012. But the upgrade period went back up to 19 months. If it had not, I'm also sure I would not be the only one who would have likely jumped ship next month. As it is, I have to wait until March, which at least gives RIM a shot at keeping me.
    dacoberry likes this.
    07-10-12 07:02 PM
    Yet another lie.

They won't have this thing out in Q1 2013. They know it and are just being pro-active with excuses.

It's obvious they are so behind with BB10, but they continue to string people along - even though those who are strung along are getting smaller by the day as they realize the jig is up.
    One word: "Microsoft"

If RIM knows it can't successfully launch BB10, Microsoft represents their best hope, and we'd already be hearing about it.
    07-10-12 07:04 PM
    U make a excellent point, but I have to ask...since the CEO seems so confident about BB10 turning around RIM, then why couldn't it have been released even amongst the iphone5 releasing?
    Nobody's delusional enough to think BB10 will make a dent in a new iPhone. Not even RIM's CEO.
    07-10-12 07:06 PM
    Nobody's delusional enough to think BB10 will make a dent in a new iPhone. Not even RIM's CEO.
    I dont think it's about making a dent in iPhone sales as much as I just think the software simply isn't ready.

I guess in my mind I'm thinking if RIM is so confident in BB10's abilities then what's the difference in releasing it now and in March when the iPhone will outsell it anyway?

We'll see I guess lol but I'm on a strict "I'll believe it when I see it" basis with RIM until I see BB10 in all its "supposed" glory and it's actually in my hands
    07-10-12 11:12 PM
    If the issue with carriers holds weight, then the solution is simple. All BB supporters in NA should move to Europe before January. The company would show a massive success on BB10, the stock would skyrocket and the NA carriers would be more eager to test and push BB products. I do realise that this removes the power from the consumer though, so I apologise if I have offended.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-11-12 04:25 PM
    "If I'm not told the EXACT DATE that a phone is coming out 6 months in advance, I'm going to post a very angry rant online and condemn the entire company..."

Seriously?
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    07-11-12 07:35 PM
    "If I'm not told the EXACT DATE that a phone is coming out 6 months in advance, I'm going to post a very angry rant online and condemn the entire company..."

Seriously?
    Are you talking 6 months from March 2011, September 2011, January 2012, or now?
    07-11-12 08:00 PM
    U make a excellent point, but I have to ask...since the CEO seems so confident about BB10 turning around RIM, then why couldn't it have been released even amongst the iphone5 releasing? It's said they could still see "seams" in the software when they wanted it to be seamless. Makes me wonder what us as consumers would've gotten had BB10 released in the beginning of 2012?. I personally believe it would've been like the PlayBook all over again.
    You need to keep in mind your competing with companies that are sitting on alot of cash. You cannot out-market them during the Christmas push, impossible. Wait for the noise to clear and then go to town.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-11-12 08:20 PM
    RIM really needs to appoint a PIO (Public Information Officer).

Have one person go out and do the interviews, press events and such. There will be ONE
    line from the corporation and a lot of this nonsense goes away.
    07-11-12 08:29 PM
    I think the reason the phones come to Europe first is that for the most part Europe has no LTE to speak of. RIM already have fairly successful phones that work on 4G HSPA and HSPA+ so moving those stacks to BB10 might be an easier pass through - and the Euro carriers seem to be softer touches - most of the OS leaks we see come from that direction no? At&T and Verizon here much harder to win the old stamp of approval from in most instances. With the exception of the GS3 - the last major Samsung phones launched in Europe first on their Exenos chips - then here in the USA 2-4 months later on the Snapdragons for LTE here.

RIM have exactly zero working LTE devices in the wild now (not talking about beta and test devices I'm referring to a device you can walk into a store or order on the net ) and all I know about the PlayBook LTE model is it is coming "soon", nor do I know what's delaying if if it's even being delayed - but it seems to me that it is.

Getting an LTE equipped PlayBook out and in the wild on the major carriers here in the States might help a bit with carrier testing - so I certainly hope we have a citing soon.
    07-11-12 08:40 PM
    For everyone wondering why Rim doesnt just launch in Q4 2012 if they're confident of their product anyways, it has nothing to do with sales. Yes, the people who wanna buy bb10 will buy it regardless of when it comes out, and whether they have the option of iphone 5 and wp8 alongside it.

The issue isn't about the immediate impact on sales, its about marketing and getting the message out there. In the christmas season, no one will listen to their marketing with the the cash cows from apple and MS hollering about their new devices, which will inevitably effect their sales down the road. In contrast, a january/feb release means that their commercials dont get drowned out by the iphone 5 and wp8 commercials. It'll have no impact on the sales for that quarter, but it might mean more sales for the remainder of the year because the mass consumer market got a chance to look at bb10 and judge it on its own merits, as opposed to comparing it with flashier commercials for the new iphone or wp8 phones.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-12-12 11:17 AM
    My cynical side says that this device will not see the light of day until after 2 March 2013,
    which is the end of RIMMs fiscal year.

The current FY is already a train wreck and releasing BB10 in Jan or Feb makes no
    sense unless it were a guaranteed winner. The more sensible (cynical) approach
    would be to close out the current FY with no more potential bad news and let
    BB10 sales be reflected in a clean FY.

In all fairness, my cynical side rarely wins arguments against my optimistic side
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-12-12 at 12:29 PM.
    07-12-12 12:26 PM
    Well, Thor did say Jan of next year. I think he knows that, even if BB10 is released on Feb 1st, it will make him look bad and it will make RIM, as a whole, look incompetent. Even more than they do now. So, I am pretty sure they are doing everything in their power to release BB10 no later than Jan 31st, 2013.

We still have 6 months for RIM to show us, and everyone else, what makes BB10 so special, and why we should wait for it.

Let's hope they can pull it off. But, every month that goes by, I think more and more people, who don't know or care about BB10 or Thor's Jan 2013 promise, see what RIM has out NOW, compare it to the other phones that are out NOW, and make their purchase decisions based on that. Not on the promiseof RIM releasing THE BEST Phone and Tablet OS EVER MADE, sometimes next year.
    07-12-12 01:07 PM
    So if RIM finishes by January 1st, it could be two of three months because of carrier testing?

So a release date of March? Just in time for....
    April Fool's Day!
    07-12-12 01:54 PM
    I find it humorous that people are believing RIM's BB10 release date this time around, when they've pushed it back and back and back. I will chuckle so hard when RIM pushes it back yet again, and all the fanboys here get all misty eyed. "Second quarter 2012 for sure!" RIM will say, and they'll all believe. Kind of like an abused spouse who believes this will be the last beating.
    07-14-12 03:44 PM
    Kind of like an abused spouse who believes this will be the last beating.
    Seriously? I think this post and your "Pedobear" avatar speaks volumes about your level of maturity.
    07-14-12 03:48 PM
    Do you always make personal attacks against random internet strangers from the safety of your bedroom? Is that a common behavior of yours?
    07-14-12 03:53 PM
    Do you always make personal attacks against random internet strangers from the safety of your bedroom? Is that a common behavior of yours?
    No it is not common for me, but I made an exception for you. Don't you feel special? It doesn't seem much different than mocking someone in your signature, or mocking those in abusive relationships though...
    07-14-12 03:57 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD