Exactly and this is just what a Dev from RIM said. " BlackBerry10 for PlayBook is coming and you can be assured that we took the time to make sure it works right before we release it "
    The specs on the z10 would not automatically indicate a worse experience so much as they would cast doubt on an early release for bb10 on the pb, it will take them more time to optimise it for the lower amount of memory.
    01-22-13 02:42 PM
    I dunno - with the rumoured specs on the Z10 (i.e. 2 gigs of RAM) putting BB10 on the PB may mean a slow / slightly buggy experience. In that case, the user may second guess their decision to get the phone.
    not really. there wont be the constant need to check text messages, so that will take a bit of drain off. Also, im sure that BB10 was aimed at being put on the PB since it was stated from the outset that it would be on there. It would be an incredibly horrible play on RIMs part to say they are going to release it on the pb and then have it set up so that the pb doesnt meet the needed specs.

also, I agree with the apps part. there may be some big names mentioned.

it was also said, and rightly so, that we as crackberry users may already know these 'surprises' because we have the inside scoop on many stories. These can be only for the 'normal' consumer... so be ready for that.
    01-22-13 03:25 PM
    10 surprises sounds about right.
    01-22-13 03:32 PM
    I bet RIM has plenty up their sleeves. Getting closer.
    01-22-13 04:05 PM
    i love BLACKBERRY!!!! go RIM FTW. i cannot wait - but i have no choice, bring it baby
    01-22-13 04:28 PM
    i'm expecting some amazing suprises on jan 30.

that's why i bought more shares....

BlackBerry has some more tricks up their sleeves... get ready for a full house!
    01-22-13 05:03 PM
    I know what the surprise is..........those who are using Bold 9900 currently will get a BB10 Dev Alpha for $49.99 for a straight exchange within 7 days of launch...............

Ha, ha.
    Why laugh?? This is an amazing idea!! I am looking to sell my 9900...this would be a perfect situation for me!! I hope they do something like this! I would go crazy!
    01-22-13 05:08 PM
    I know what the surprise is..........those who are using Bold 9900 currently will get a BB10 Dev Alpha for $49.99 for a straight exchange within 7 days of launch...............

Ha, ha.
    Why laugh?? This is an amazing idea!! I am looking to sell my 9900...this would be a perfect situation for me!! I hope they do something like this! I would go crazy!
    lol... as a shareholder, i vote down that idea!
    01-22-13 05:10 PM
    I think the idea that any surprises will involve the pb in any way whatsoever are simply people deluding themselves, the reality is that the first playbook didn't sell well enough at all and there is no certainty that a new one would either unless they drastically cut the margins on it, so the simple fact of the matter that the n-series will not be launching immediately when it is actually a device that will make them money should be enough proof for anyone that we will see nothing about the pb other than a passing confirmation that it will get bb10 at some point in time.
    When you sat on Santa's lap, would you tell him what you hoped for or what you expected your parents were going to get?
    David in Durham likes this.
    01-22-13 07:39 PM
    What's going to be cool is how PlayBook BlackBerry10 and BlackBerry 7 6 5 will all tie into each other. Imagine having native BBM on Playbook and being able to make a BBM voice call to os 5-7 friends along with video chat to other BlackBerry10 devices. BBM voice was huge for the legacy os.
    01-22-13 08:14 PM
    I have no idea what some of the major surprises will be, but I'm excited to find out, regardless of whether they are in fact minor or really that major. In skimming through the slides over on BGR, I noticed something about dictation... I hope that if that's something that really is there, that it's beyond just the siri functionality like what we've seen, but instead goes into full message / email / note dictation and is as spot-on accurate as it possibly can be. I know my Android phone is surprisingly accurate when I do speech-to-text, and I'd love to see BB10 do that but even better.
    01-22-13 08:51 PM
    I think you described most of the forum members with that last line. Just because there are a lot of fans hoping for the best, doesn't mean they are not prepared for the worst.
    The good news is... the worst scenario would be that there is no more to BB10 than what we've already seen. But, even that looks pretty exciting according to people who have seen and used it!

I excited for Jan. 30th just from what I've seen of BB10 so far. Anything extra will just be gravy (and jaw dropping for some).
    Agreed. BlackBerry OS 10 looks promising but we have not seen most of the features because peek-and-flow by itself is nice but not revolutionary enough to capture the minds of potential users. I am keeping my toes crossed that my wireless carrier has my pre-ordered BlackBerry Z10 ready for pick-up next week (Wednesday - Friday). It has been a long 2 years.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-23-13 12:07 AM
    When you sat on Santa's lap, would you tell him what you hoped for or what you expected your parents were going to get?
    The title of this topic is Jan 30 surprises rather than hopes, which along with the first post would seem to imply it is intended to discuss feasible surprises which the playbook really isn't when you consider the fact that the qwerty model will not be ready by then and is something that is going to be far more important to rim going forward than bb10 on pb.
    01-23-13 04:34 AM
    I was at lunch with three co-workers today. One didn't know what i was talking about, one had heard about it but all his friends had iphones and they weren't interested, the third had heard of it and her friends were on android and they were interested. None has seen anything about bb10 yet.

I think the surpises will be in how quickly they roll things out. Rim has been getting lots of praise for what they've shown so far and they have anounced an agressive schedule of hardware releases before the end of the year. They released the Enterprize server today. January will be over and they'll want to catch the holiday season so we can count December out. That leaves ten months for the six handsets, PB updates and any new form factors. Clearly they've focused on the Z10 and it will come early in Feb if they can ramp up production to feed demand. everything else will depend on the launch but N10 by end of Feb., lower tier hand sets should follow in April/May, higher tier handsets in time for the holiday rush. PB update will slot nicely in March to keep the buzz going after launch (and prove the sytem before the lower tier handsets). Releasing a 10" tab for the school rush will keep buzz going into the holiday launch. If QNX is as stable as everyone claims, and BB10 is as polished as it looks, then porting to different form factors will be a snap (carrier testing included).

So lots of Suprises for the general public. For the faithful, there will be a large majority of the major apps, skype and netflix remain the toss-ups but if they haven't signed up yet they will come when BB10 gains market share. Video conferencing on BB10 between the presenters in the different launch cities would be a great surprise and would really show off a highly polished system. The french toast features will be a surprise to lots of people.

Accessories suprises - Music Gateway... now with video (hardware purchase required) and surprise "BB10" on your TV.
    Last edited by StormieTwo; 01-23-13 at 04:27 PM.
    01-23-13 04:08 PM
    I think the surpises will be in how quickly they roll things out. Rim has been getting lots of praise for what they've shown so far and they have anounced an agressive schedule of hardware releases before the end of the year. They released the Enterprize server today. January will be over and they'll want to catch the holiday season so we can count December out. That leaves ten months for the six handsets, PB updates and any new form factors. Clearly they've focused on the Z10 and it will come early in Feb if they can ramp up production to feed demand. everything else will depend on the launch but N10 by end of Feb., lower tier hand sets should follow in April/May, higher tier handsets in time for the holiday rush. PB update will slot nicely in March to keep the buzz going after launch (and prove the sytem before the lower tier handsets). Releasing a 10" tab for the school rush will keep buzz going into the holiday launch. If QNX is as stable as everyone claims, and BB10 is as polished as it looks, then porting to different form factors will be a snap (carrier testing included).
    I think you are probably over-estimating how quickly they will get the devices out there, I suspect it will be more like:

Jan/Feb - Z10
    March/April - X10
    June - lower priced model(s)
    Sep/Oct - New playbook (tablets sell better at Xmas than phones)
    Oct/Nov - Upgrade to Z10

They will want to spread their hardware launches out through the quarters so they can show consistent improvements in market share rather than an early boost and then plateauing.
    01-23-13 04:47 PM
    I think you are probably over-estimating how quickly they will get the devices out there, I suspect it will be more like:

Jan/Feb - Z10
    March/April - X10
    June - lower priced model(s)
    Sep/Oct - New playbook (tablets sell better at Xmas than phones)
    Oct/Nov - Upgrade to Z10

They will want to spread their hardware launches out through the quarters so they can show consistent improvements in market share rather than an early boost and then plateauing.
    They may want to release both of these at the same time, and around the end of summer, so that students can pair them up and. Imagine all the 'work smarter' or 'get it done quicker' kind of ads that RIM can put out just before school. The business world is a lot like the higher education world in terms of people wanting to save time and always have access.
    01-23-13 11:35 PM
    The surprise is simple -- the Nicki Minaj Edition BB 10.
    01-23-13 11:37 PM
    The surprise is simple -- the Nicki Minaj Edition BB 10.
    BBs in the trap
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    01-24-13 12:09 AM
    what trap is that? I think that a lot of people have under estimated RIM. Remember,RIM has only released details on 2 handets-the other 4 are largely a complete mystery. The BB10 software seems very well thought out and imaginative.I am also looking forward to software upgrade for PlayBook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-24-13 01:01 AM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BB10 >>>> Iphone 5 ... RIM is going to sell a ton of these!!! ... starting in about a week .... fasten your seatbelt ... This rocket is about to launch!!!
    01-24-13 01:26 AM
    The Nicki Minaj BlackBerry -- Buy One, or Be A Stupid **. (tm)
    01-24-13 01:37 AM
    They may want to release both of these at the same time, and around the end of summer, so that students can pair them up and. Imagine all the 'work smarter' or 'get it done quicker' kind of ads that RIM can put out just before school. The business world is a lot like the higher education world in terms of people wanting to save time and always have access.
    I guess it comes down to whether or not the latter would be ready as until they cover more pricepoints with the phones their major priority will be on those as they are what is really going to drive volume and the tablets will be more of a case of trying to capitalise on momentum from the phones.
    01-24-13 04:05 AM
    BB10 for PB will be released on Jan 30. Thats my guess.

Is there a time schedule for the launch event ? At what time does it start ?
    01-24-13 09:55 AM
    A surprise I'd like to see is they figured out how to use all the qwerty short cuts on a touch screen device. Man I'm gonna miss these features
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    01-24-13 01:01 PM
    So "**" is censored?

So saying "Santa says '** ** **'" gets censored?

01-24-13 07:54 PM
121 ... 2345