1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    January 30, 10 am EST ... adjust accordingly with reference to this time, depending where you are in the world ....
    01-21-13 11:30 PM
    I predict the delusional forum members will be very disappointed come 30 January 2013. The danger of getting your hopes up too high is the inevitable let down regardless of whatever is ultimately revealed during the launch event. Plan for the worst, hope for the best and you will rarely be disappointed.
    If I remember correctly, you having been saying that RIM has nothing new to release for weeks. Good to see that you don't facts get in the way. As they say "consistency of thought is a sure sign of the feable minded.
    01-21-13 11:35 PM
    would there be any live telecast?
    01-21-13 11:53 PM
    I dunno - with the rumoured specs on the Z10 (i.e. 2 gigs of RAM) putting BB10 on the PB may mean a slow / slightly buggy experience. In that case, the user may second guess their decision to get the phone.
    The specs on the z10 would not automatically indicate a worse experience so much as they would cast doubt on an early release for bb10 on the pb, it will take them more time to optimise it for the lower amount of memory.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-22-13 01:30 AM
    I really think BB10 for PlayBook is going to be released upon the release of BB10 phones...it will be a huge reveal...think about it...after doing the huge launch of BB10 and the Z10 device and going through a full demo of BB10...Thor comes back to stage to announce "oh yeah, one more thing..." and thats when he will announce BB10 will be available as a free upgrade to all existing PlayBooks in the wild...and show how the BB10 on PB works...then the final HUGE surprise...THOR demos BB10 on the PB and then says..."hmm I wonder how amazing this would look on a big 10inch screen?" and BOOM 10" PB running BB10 is shown to the world!
    I think the idea that any surprises will involve the pb in any way whatsoever are simply people deluding themselves, the reality is that the first playbook didn't sell well enough at all and there is no certainty that a new one would either unless they drastically cut the margins on it, so the simple fact of the matter that the n-series will not be launching immediately when it is actually a device that will make them money should be enough proof for anyone that we will see nothing about the pb other than a passing confirmation that it will get bb10 at some point in time.
    01-22-13 01:33 AM
    Another poster on here suggested that all leaks are 90% from RIM, which is why we see the same thing leaked over and over. So these "Beta" devices might look the same as the commercial device but have different hardware. And when they ran out of Dev A devices they created some Dev B's. Or the Dev B's could have been planned the whole time. Dev Aplha, Dev Beta anyone?This would allow RIM to leak the image of the device but still keep the internals under wraps. Also why are there so few leaks of the N series, and in particular any sort of video showing someone using it? IMO the leaks are part of there covert marketing strategy until launch day. And I think this strategy is really important.
    This whole idea that most of the leaks come from Rim has always struck me as being just so flawed an idea, just look at how many people were slagging off the l-series after the early blurrycam shots and if the leaks were intentional then there would have been no need for the pin watermarking to be covered up since those would have been of no use to anyone outside the company.

The lack of leaks for the n-series probably comes down to the simple fact that rim's main focus has been on getting the l-series finished so there was simply a lot less of the n-series out there to be leaked.
    01-22-13 01:41 AM
    Since there have not been anymore N Series Leaks...lets hope Thor WOWS us with the final version of the X10 or there will be a lot of disappointed fans and more.
    01-22-13 02:31 AM
    This whole idea that most of the leaks come from Rim has always struck me as being just so flawed an idea, just look at how many people were slagging off the l-series after the early blurrycam shots and if the leaks were intentional then there would have been no need for the pin watermarking to be covered up since those would have been of no use to anyone outside the company.

The lack of leaks for the n-series probably comes down to the simple fact that rim's main focus has been on getting the l-series finished so there was simply a lot less of the n-series out there to be leaked.
    I always thought that tape on the sides wasnt to cover up the pin numbers but to hold a plastic film in place on the screen. I dont see how the pin numbers could be where the tape is anyway, it would overlap the ui
    01-22-13 03:19 AM
    I always thought that tape on the sides wasnt to cover up the pin numbers but to hold a plastic film in place on the screen. I dont see how the pin numbers could be where the tape is anyway, it would overlap the ui
    The pin numbers are in fact part of the ui, constantly displayed under whatever is on screen. Obviously this won't be the case with the final/retail version.
    01-22-13 04:08 AM
    I actually think it is going to be much more then that, as that was already discussed about playbook receiving the upgrade. I somehow feel there is going to be HUGE WOW FACTOR that would would have never imagined. It is going to be the showstopper to end all showstoppers. Everything else coming is all fine and good, but remember this is their LAST time to shine. You know when it's a do or die situation, it is going to take a lot, and they are saving the best for last. I could be totally off on this one, but I totally feel it. RIM knows something that we do not know yet, and I just think it is going to leave everyone's jaws on the floor! If all of the reviewers basically loved everything about the phone, in which most cases they all did, there will be one or several things left to seal the deal, and make sure they don't change their minds or reverse their decisions. Think of all of the hype and mayhem that is going around everywhere about this. Even non believers are giving this some serious thought. That can only mean one thing! This is going to be HUGE! To give us all of these apps, and other goodies that we couldn't buy to save our lives in the past. Something mind blowing is going to happen for all of us. On another note, I would love to see the day when one could see "Available for Z10" coming soon for android and iphone, in terms of apps

We continue to wait, and BELIEVE
    I absolutely love this post. Essentially what I'm feeling .
    DJM626 likes this.
    01-22-13 07:04 AM
    I really think BB10 for PlayBook is going to be released upon the release of BB10 phones
    I think you're setting yourself up for a big, big disappointment. RIM is a bit over half the size they were when Thorsten took over so resources are scarce. The PlayBook has been a money sucker for RIM. Thorsten has been focused on cleaning up the channel and otherwise spending little effort on PlayBook. It's not materially impacting to RIM in a positive way and they've come out and said, "coming after the phones".

I don't mean to be a downer, but I think people are getting their hopes up and going to have them dashed badly.
    robkd likes this.
    01-22-13 08:34 AM
    Another poster on here suggested that all leaks are 90% from RIM,
    That's not correct. For example, look at how few PlayBook leaks there were before it was announced ... it was basically only speculation that RIM was going to announce a tablet. Likewise ... look at the phone leaks. They really started happening once the product was in 'carrier testing'. PlayBooks were not carrier tested. Phones are.

I'd bet very, very, very few leaks are from RIM employees. Most are from carrier employees.
    01-22-13 08:37 AM
    That's not correct. For example, look at how few PlayBook leaks there were before it was announced ... it was basically only speculation that RIM was going to announce a tablet. Likewise ... look at the phone leaks. They really started happening once the product was in 'carrier testing'. PlayBooks were not carrier tested. Phones are.

I'd bet very, very, very few leaks are from RIM employees. Most are from carrier employees.
    Possibly true but you have to consider when the PB launched it didn't, or at least RIM thought it didn't, need as much hype building for a successful launch. Not saying it is RIM employees, but the steady stream of leaks (most of which are going over what we already know so not spoiling 30th Jan) has helped RIM and BB10 build hype and expectation. The leaks started when BB10 started carrier testing, but that is also the same time when RIM started building towards launch, when building excitement is important. Clearly if there are surprises RIM has done something right, either controlling the leaks or keeping a tight grasp over final aspects of BB10.

guys.. I hate to bother with this silly question but.. If I am 2 hours ahead of difference with San Francisco, at what time I will see the show? If I am 10 am and San Francisco 8 am. Having that NY event is at 10 am?
    11 am for you
    01-22-13 09:02 AM
    It might be a different story for others, if they have used iphones or droids. I know I sound enthusiastic and more then hopeful, but I truly will not be disappointed or feel left out, if this is all there is by any means
    There's nothing wrong with feeling excitement and being hopeful, and I think that there won't be much to disappoint (other than perhaps a few key apps) at the announcement. I think, however, that people need to be realistic about what to expect. This is why I asked what you expected to be "jaw dropping". I don't expect to see anything new (as far as technology) shown off that already isn't out there now, and tbh, I don't think anyones jaws have dropped in the last few years with all the new technology popping up. Heck, even from what i've seen, I'm considering buying one to play with (and for those that know me on these boards, i'm pretty big into Android). My biggest questions/concerns involve the Hub, and whether it will make things easier and more efficient than what I already have (and my setup is pretty sweet), or if it will just be another way of doing things (perhaps less efficient). Either way, even I'm excited for the launch and will be waiting, along with everyone else, to see what's unveiled.
    01-22-13 09:23 AM
    i'm hoping the cinnamon toast and french toast notification features are actually true for the bb10m

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Great point Anel_K...I think these are features that many people on here have forgotten about.

Us on CrackBerry clearly know more than the general population about BB10, but RIM has been very good about keeping things hidden for this launch. Yes we know there will be BBM Video Chat with Screen Sharing, and yes we know about the native photo editor...these are things that have not been publicly announced by RIM but have been well reported on our website, so we know these will be shown off and the general population will have a "wow" factor to the "new" news.

With that being said...there are many things even we on CrackBerry have seen very little of but have heard of...and the two main things in my eyes are these: Cinnamon Toast and French Toast notifications. The feature that when you receive a message and it shows more the more you life your phone is GENIUS and would be amazing! it continues the idea of Peek in the OS...on the Lockscreen you are working on a project and get a message...it pops up saying "Text Message" you lift it slightly to see its from your Brother, so you lift it all the way up to read the message. Absolutely amazing! the Reverse goes too...Text Message and you lift it to see its from your mom, and you ignore it...haha kidding...but its an amazing feature that has not been shown in any videos or anything.

These are the features that will shock everyone!
    anel_k and bbquincar like this.
    01-22-13 09:44 AM
    I think you're setting yourself up for a big, big disappointment. RIM is a bit over half the size they were when Thorsten took over so resources are scarce. The PlayBook has been a money sucker for RIM. Thorsten has been focused on cleaning up the channel and otherwise spending little effort on PlayBook. It's not materially impacting to RIM in a positive way and they've come out and said, "coming after the phones".

I don't mean to be a downer, but I think people are getting their hopes up and going to have them dashed badly.
    I couldn't disagree more. RIM certainly has plans for the playbook and beyond (perhaps, a more substantive mobile computer). But this is a multistep process and in this regard the handsets come first and tablets second. In regards to the tablets, BB10 will be huge. It has the potential of turning these devices into a true communication platform; that is where the additional value will come from. The iPAD and android based tablets are effectively download devices with a piece meal communication side. That's not going to cut it in the not so distant future.
    01-22-13 10:05 AM
    I know what the surprise is..........those who are using Bold 9900 currently will get a BB10 Dev Alpha for $49.99 for a straight exchange within 7 days of launch...............

Ha, ha.
    bbquincar and mphillips828 like this.
    01-22-13 11:05 AM
    Possibly true but you have to consider when the PB launched it didn't, or at least RIM thought it didn't, need as much hype building for a successful launch. Not saying it is RIM employees, but the steady stream of leaks (most of which are going over what we already know so not spoiling 30th Jan) has helped RIM and BB10 build hype and expectation. The leaks started when BB10 started carrier testing, but that is also the same time when RIM started building towards launch, when building excitement is important. Clearly if there are surprises RIM has done something right, either controlling the leaks or keeping a tight grasp over final aspects of BB10.
    Some of the leaks may be coming from people working for rim, but it just does not seem very likely to assume some grand conspiracy that they are behind the leaks when the far simpler explanation is that more people outside rim have devices and the leaks start to come more frequently after that.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-22-13 11:11 AM
    How much effort will it take to port BB10 over to a machine that already runs QNX?
    01-22-13 11:24 AM
    The specs on the z10 would not automatically indicate a worse experience so much as they would cast doubt on an early release for bb10 on the pb, it will take them more time to optimise it for the lower amount of memory.
    I dont think so we know that z10's are out their running with 1 gb ram.The first dev alphas are more or less PB specs It was more or less the playbook on a phone the dev alpha ran bb10 well enough.Qnx is already on playbook s I dont see a struggle for Rim.The whole build up to jan 30th has been a giant beta test at different levels If you think hard.Even the shape and look of the dev alpha B looks to be a beta test for a 5 or near 5 inch phone.Yeah some subtle stuff due to leaks and repetetive viewing Im actually now accustomed to that shape/size of the dev alpha B device and when a bigger bb10 phonecomes out i will probably move up size because of that repetitive viewing when they showcase a big size phone my mind will instantly say ''oh yeah same size as dev alpha b that was fine'' have i just been coherst and manipulated hahah.

BB10 to playbook wont be a hassle RIM are turning itself into a company that offers services as well asphone thanks to qnx noc and nfc deal.This is a different RIM people need towake up.They have been running betas on the PB for as long as this bb10 movement has happened be sure of that.Imo I dont see any PB10 pushes happening until someone someone else release a phone Q1 and Rim showcase some new bb10 tablet link feature.
    01-22-13 11:40 AM
    I'm going to guess the surprises are all going to come in the form of new services. They would be the easiest to keep secret as they can be turn-key on launch day.
    rcozzo likes this.
    01-22-13 11:50 AM
    It will bee that they are sending me one free for my bd.
    01-22-13 11:55 AM
    I couldn't disagree more. RIM certainly has plans for the playbook and beyond (perhaps, a more substantive mobile computer). But this is a multistep process and in this regard the handsets come first and tablets second. In regards to the tablets, BB10 will be huge. It has the potential of turning these devices into a true communication platform; that is where the additional value will come from. The iPAD and android based tablets are effectively download devices with a piece meal communication side. That's not going to cut it in the not so distant future.
    I didn't say RIM didn't have PlayBook plans. I just don't believe for a second they're going to have BlackBerry 10 available on the PlayBook on January 30th or anything close to that.
    01-22-13 02:15 PM
    How much effort will it take to port BB10 over to a machine that already runs QNX?
    Probably at least a few months of effort to design, develop and test. The form factor is different, so there are likely a decent number of interaction and UI changes designed for the tablet. They also probably have a fair bit of work making sure that data migrates properly from the old air apps to the new cascade apps. They may have to do some optimizations to deal with the RAM on the PlayBook (if specs are to be believed). They probably also want to give developers time to make sure that their apps work on PlayBooks running BlackBerry 10. In addition, there may be some carrier testing for the LTE PlayBook.
    bbquincar likes this.
    01-22-13 02:18 PM
    I keep going back to one of Thor's statements.." BlackBerry10 is Not just a phone or tablet OS " <<<<This I think is a good clue as to what the surprises may be.
    bbquincar and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-22-13 02:39 PM
121 12345