I really think BB10 for PlayBook is going to be released upon the release of BB10 phones...it will be a huge reveal...think about it...after doing the huge launch of BB10 and the Z10 device and going through a full demo of BB10...Thor comes back to stage to announce "oh yeah, one more thing..." and thats when he will announce BB10 will be available as a free upgrade to all existing PlayBooks in the wild...and show how the BB10 on PB works...then the final HUGE surprise...THOR demos BB10 on the PB and then says..."hmm I wonder how amazing this would look on a big 10inch screen?" and BOOM 10" PB running BB10 is shown to the world!
    Stewartj1, V22, antiRIM and 2 others like this.
    01-21-13 06:57 PM
    I actually think it is going to be much more then that, as that was already discussed about playbook receiving the upgrade. I somehow feel there is going to be HUGE WOW FACTOR that would would have never imagined. It is going to be the showstopper to end all showstoppers. Everything else coming is all fine and good, but remember this is their LAST time to shine. You know when it's a do or die situation, it is going to take a lot, and they are saving the best for last. I could be totally off on this one, but I totally feel it. RIM knows something that we do not know yet, and I just think it is going to leave everyone's jaws on the floor! If all of the reviewers basically loved everything about the phone, in which most cases they all did, there will be one or several things left to seal the deal, and make sure they don't change their minds or reverse their decisions. Think of all of the hype and mayhem that is going around everywhere about this. Even non believers are giving this some serious thought. That can only mean one thing! This is going to be HUGE! To give us all of these apps, and other goodies that we couldn't buy to save our lives in the past. Something mind blowing is going to happen for all of us. On another note, I would love to see the day when one could see "Available for Z10" coming soon for android and iphone, in terms of apps

We continue to wait, and BELIEVE
    I gotta wonder what you envision RIM could announce that would be "mind blowing" and "jaw dropping" already knowing what we know?
    01-21-13 07:03 PM
    Not to be a downer, but let's not start building cities in terms of our hopes for grand surprises. At best, you will see a listing of apps that exceeded everyone's expectations. That may or may not happen.

Hardware wise, don't expect any major surprises - everything is locked in stone and pretty much as we know it.
    Software wise, beyond apps we've seen (or heard) all the major features. Highly doubtful that there will be anything groundbreaking here (though apps could be a +++)
    What we haven't heard a lot of is accessories, etc -- there will certainly be some nice things coming from that front.

Also, not that much info available on the X10, so that could be exciting. Perhaps they might divulge some info on the 2013 roadmap in terms of device releases (i.e., 2 more devices will come at BlackBerry Live in May).

Finally, remember that while WE (as CrackBerry readers) know most of this stuff, the general public does NOT. So for them, there is a ton of exciting and perhaps shocking things to learn of (i.e., timeshift).
    cbolton97 and Flexin like this.
    01-21-13 07:10 PM
    BB10 on the PlayBook right after the Jan 30 event wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'd bet that the majority of PlayBook owners use BlackBerry phones, and pushing BB10 out to these PlayBooks would be a great way to get BB10 into the hands of existing BlackBerry consumers.

Those who do own a PlayBook but not a BlackBerry phone would also get a chance to use BB10 which would help expose non-BlackBerry phone owners to BB10.

Sadly however I think RIM has probably put their resources into developing BB10 more for the phone first as that's where they need to focus and grow.
    01-21-13 07:11 PM
    How about a "one more thing" moment for a BB10 beta on PlayBooks? I think that would be pretty awesome.
    01-21-13 07:19 PM
    Maybe hardware isnt what has been speculated. In fact the only thing we really know is that the final devices will have 2gb of ram. But of these devices floating around that some people have (Austrian guy) no one has done any sort of performance comparisons besides the general browser loading, voice app, camera thing. No geekbench, no other synthetic bench mark.And no pull down besides opening the back cover? And he does mention he thinks the device is beta.

Another poster on here suggested that all leaks are 90% from RIM, which is why we see the same thing leaked over and over. So these "Beta" devices might look the same as the commercial device but have different hardware. And when they ran out of Dev A devices they created some Dev B's. Or the Dev B's could have been planned the whole time. Dev Aplha, Dev Beta anyone?This would allow RIM to leak the image of the device but still keep the internals under wraps. Also why are there so few leaks of the N series, and in particular any sort of video showing someone using it? IMO the leaks are part of there covert marketing strategy until launch day. And I think this strategy is really important. Lets say they had shown absolutely nothing about bb10 or the devices before jan 30, I dont believe the media would be anywhere as positive or a buzz with BB10. To paraphrase, RIM has put enough drops of blood in the water to give the sharks a taste and send them in to a frenzy. Now they are hungry for the main meal. Im hungry!

Personally I think RIM has lots of things to tell us come Jan 30
    01-21-13 07:28 PM
    I gotta wonder what you envision RIM could announce that would be "mind blowing" and "jaw dropping" already knowing what we know?
    I'm really not for certain, but whatever it might be, I just think it is going to be something that no one would have expected RIM to have been able to pull off. I just have a feeling there is more to come that does not involve the obvious, such as apps, BB10 coming to PB and things that everyone else alreadys knows. Will I be disappointed if or when nothing major, or nothing else happens? No. I do know that I will have a device that enables me to do things that I could not do on my current phone, and for that reason alone I will be very satisfied. If it never gets any better or nothing major or nothing else is added, I will still be happy to own a BB . I just have speculation though, that if some reviewers have been shown this device and have used it, to be able to say that it's a good device and yet not many are saying that it does not offer or do much more then any other of the current devices on other platforms, but yet they think it will do well, leaves me to believe that there are other things that will be shown. Maybe for you and or a lot others, it will not mean much, but I have used nothing but BB devices for almost the past ten years, so just all of what we already know excites me as I have never owned a phone that I have been able to do a lot on or with. It might be a different story for others, if they have used iphones or droids. I know I sound enthusiastic and more then hopeful, but I truly will not be disappointed or feel left out, if this is all there is by any means
    01-21-13 07:36 PM
    i will be jamming the check for update button on my pb come jan 30

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    MrHomz likes this.
    01-21-13 07:38 PM
    Can't wait
    01-21-13 07:49 PM
    I just don't think RIM's on par device with other devices is going to be satisfying to even all those employed there or involved with the build of it etc. I know it's a long slow climb to try to attempt to regain some people that have left for other platforms, but realistically even though they would probably be willing to settle for a number 3 spot, in business no one actually thinks in those terms. Everyone aims high, even if they don't want to admit to that. No one wants to settle for 3 or 4 or whatever it is. I just think RIM is remaining very humble about this and will not admit to how great this phone is really going to be. They know it's going to be a killer phone, otherwise I think they would have bailed out. No one does anything just to survive anymore in the business world. You either have to go all out, or don't do it at all. This I believe is going to be part of their strategy. Maybe we are not or will not see any major advertising for this phone, because it's going to have some for sure features and options on it, that will automatically sell, and bring a lot of new users on board, that they might feel if you have something good, it will sell itself. Only speculation, but that is really why I believe there will be more and we have only seen what we are allowed to see. If something is going to be just on par with something else, that really does not sound confident enough to pour all of the hype and and the big launch event for them, which I believe is something they may not have had happen before. At least to this extreme
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    01-21-13 07:56 PM
    How about a "one more thing" moment for a BB10 beta on PlayBooks? I think that would be pretty awesome.
    You mean something like, "We haven't forgotten our PlayBook users. To demonstrate how portable our BB10 operating system is, we're releasing it to beta for our PlayBook users... today. We ask that PlayBook users interested in previewing BB10 on their PlayBooks to sign up for the beta program. We'd like to ensure that BB10 on the PlayBook is solid as possible, with a final release in 6-8 weeks."
    01-21-13 08:00 PM
    Maybe everyone on the forum is going to get a brand new Bentley QNX enabled as a token of "Thanks" for remaining faithful
    zyben, LazyEvul and kingb71 like this.
    01-21-13 08:17 PM
    Naah........ Samsung dumps Android and runs BB10 exclusively.....

Not that I like Samsung!
    01-21-13 08:23 PM
    I dunno - with the rumoured specs on the Z10 (i.e. 2 gigs of RAM) putting BB10 on the PB may mean a slow / slightly buggy experience. In that case, the user may second guess their decision to get the phone.
    Don't the dev phones only have 1gig? They were very fast. Shouldn't be an issue on the PB.
    01-21-13 08:35 PM
    I predict the delusional forum members will be very disappointed come 30 January 2013. The danger of getting your hopes up too high is the inevitable let down regardless of whatever is ultimately revealed during the launch event. Plan for the worst, hope for the best and you will rarely be disappointed.
    jonno_atamaniuk and cuotfs like this.
    01-21-13 08:59 PM
    I predict the delusional forum members will be very disappointed come 30 January 2013. The danger of getting your hopes up too high is the inevitable let down regardless of whatever is ultimately revealed during the launch event. Plan for the worst, hope for the best and you will rarely be disappointed.
    I think you described most of the forum members with that last line. Just because there are a lot of fans hoping for the best, doesn't mean they are not prepared for the worst.
    The good news is... the worst scenario would be that there is no more to BB10 than what we've already seen. But, even that looks pretty exciting according to people who have seen and used it!

I excited for Jan. 30th just from what I've seen of BB10 so far. Anything extra will just be gravy (and jaw dropping for some).
    IFytFyrs and Cesare21 like this.
    01-21-13 09:19 PM
    How about "Oh one more thing, Thor pulls out a qwerty device and says I give you, the TK Victory".
    spyeagle and nnomad like this.
    01-21-13 09:35 PM
    I think you described most of the forum members with that last line. Just because there are a lot of fans hoping for the best, doesn't mean they are not prepared for the worst.
    The good news is... the worst scenario would be that there is no more to BB10 than what we've already seen. But, even that looks pretty exciting according to people who have seen and used it!

I excited for Jan. 30th just from what I've seen of BB10 so far. Anything extra will just be gravy (and jaw dropping for some).
    Just my two cents here, and don't get me wrong, I am foaming at the mouth in anticipation of BB10 and these surprises. But in the same sense I have this little voice in the back of my head that keeps saying, "Remember Playbook OS 2.0"... Hmm good point, I remember for days, WEEKS even before it released, people on here speculating, hoping, praying that certain feature would be implemented. I remember RIM saying they had some surprises for OS 2.0. Well come the big day, I wasn't very surprised. It was like opening that Christmas gift that I had already found in the parents closet a month or two before. Yes, we got all those features that everyone knew was coming, but really there were no surprises as promised. Problem with fan sites like this is we ruin it for ourselves come the big day, as those surprises RIM has up their sleeves are for the average consumer. Not the fanatics that have seen every spec, every leak, every wild assumption repeated at LEAST 30 times.

I really hope there are surprises from RIM, but at the end of the day, we are finally getting what we have all been waiting for! Go RIM! Go BB10! Time to swing that hammer Thor and show the world who the new boss in town is.
    nnomad likes this.
    01-21-13 09:46 PM
    i'm hoping the cinnamon toast and french toast notification features are actually true for the bb10m

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-21-13 09:49 PM
    great article. here's to your health RIM
    01-21-13 09:55 PM
    So excited I've been waiting forever it seems and now it's only 8 days away WOOOOOOOTTTTT!!!! ....Okay, I feel better now
    01-21-13 10:18 PM
    I am looking forward to the new Blackberry smartphone device
    revtech likes this.
    01-21-13 10:30 PM
    Here is a list of my hoped for surprises
    - World wide BBM Money (through carrier billing or direct banking) allowing NFC money transfers.
    - Some sort of BBAccess (made up the name) to store all RFID card information through NFC (eg: phone for credit cards, building access, etc...).
    - Full Microsoft Office (or equivalent), allowing most people to replace their laptop with a PlayBook (10", hoping to be announced or perhaps in Summer) and BT keyboard.
    - Instead of SnapDragon S4, maintain DevAlphaB hardware and swap to OMAP5 (why develop for one and implement the other???) which I hear is reverse compatible with the OMAP4.
    - I know this is huge, but full integration with an upgraded PlayBook (BB10): I mean processor coupling and file sharing such that it is one device with two screens. This goes with the idea of your phone being the core and having "accessory" form factors (imagine the same thing on a full computer iMac form factor or a full laptop).

Basically I want Thorstein to follow through on the mobile computing platform and make it possible for everyone not relying on Windows specific apps (I'm thinking legacy support for very niche markets) to abondon PCs entirely and make the phone their primary computer (with PlayBook Bridge style accessories for various form factors but at a low price due to most of the hardware being in the phone).

Probably too much to ask for, but one can dream.
    01-21-13 10:55 PM
    Wow! this is so exciting. Only few days remaining!!
    spyeagle, Jake Storm and MrHomz like this.
    01-21-13 11:07 PM
    guys.. I hate to bother with this silly question but.. If I am 2 hours ahead of difference with San Francisco, at what time I will see the show? If I am 10 am and San Francisco 8 am. Having that NY event is at 10 am?
    01-21-13 11:24 PM
121 1234 ...