I'm always trying to be optimistic, looking at the latest BlackBerry news, reading about concept designs over the years, and finally coming back to BlackBerry by getting the passport. I wish I took the time to buy into bb10 sooner, but better late than never.

With that being said, I do understand business enough to say that things at BlackBerry could have been handled far better than they were. Bb10, if people were made aware of it, could have been an excellent player in the mobile space. I don't think anyone would have expected android or iOS levels but nonetheless, a close 3rd. Unfortunately, if you don't advertise on a consumer level, you won't have the sales to back up your products. If you don't bring competitive hardware to the table, you won't sell to the mass market. I don't think the lack of apps is as big an issue as people make it out to be. I run google drive, citrix and a host of other apps through the browser when needed. There are a lot of what-ifs with this story. The sad thing for me, is that like a lot of you, I love bb10, and wish it would continue to be developed. So when my passport has finished serving me well, I will consider the Priv but not limit myself to it.

[/rant]

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 08:11 PM
    With that being said, I do understand business enough to say that things at BlackBerry could have been handled far better than they were.
    Oh good, then this will be a nice conversation instead of a reason vs rant situation.

Bb10, if people were made aware of it, could have been an excellent player in the mobile space.
    There was a nice amount of marketing at launch. They even had a very silly superbowl add. As bad as they are in marketing, they did try to push BB10. And behind the scenes, there was also some effort WE never got to know about.

But go on, tell us what you know of their marketing strategy for BB10 and how you would have spent that budget better. It's always fun. I know I do it at times.

I don't think anyone would have expected android or iOS levels but nonetheless, a close 3rd.
    The media did hail BB10 as the most complete zero day OS ever. The App Gap problem remained and this was exactly what they all were curious about. If BB10 could bring the apps, it would no doubt be a 3rd placer. We all know how that story goes.

Unfortunately, if you don't advertise on a consumer level, you won't have the sales to back up your products.
    The way I read it, they were trying to have lightening strike the tree twice. Let people that are already using and loving BB10 (those suits and small businesses) spread the word - you know, just like what happened to BBOS. Problem is, as effective as that strategy was (word of mouth is a proven way to push stuff) they did NOT have the time to rely solely on that.

If you don't bring competitive hardware to the table, you won't sell to the mass market.

I don't think the lack of apps is as big an issue as people make it out to be.
    Then, my friend, you don't have a strong grasp on the reality of the consumer market. They are not us. We can do without all the heaps of trash, time waster, socially inclided apps. The general public of smartphones can't. And then there are those actually usefull apps or business app that devs can't be bothered to code for BB10 (annd won't work if ported due to the runtime getting out of date as Android moves forward).

I run google drive, citrix and a host of other apps through the browser when needed.
    That's enough for you. That's enough for a number of us. That's not gonna sell devices at all.

There are a lot of what-ifs with this story. The sad thing for me, is that like a lot of you, I love bb10, and wish it would continue to be developed. So when my passport has finished serving me well, I will consider the Priv but not limit myself to it.
    [/rant]
    And that's the thing. BB10 isn't really going anywhere. Is it going to get a new feature (dunno, iris/fingerprint scanner)? Unlikely to happen. But will it go into PlayBook mode as some are calling it around here? No. The German Government, the USA Government, a heap of bigass companies... They all use BB10.

So while we, the small fish, may wanna bite a lot of heads off at Waterloo, it's just not the end of the world.
    kbz1960, brookie229 and igor10000 like this.
    09-25-15 08:32 PM
    It will be ok, I promise.
    09-26-15 07:47 AM
    Might be that we could hope that BlackBerry make money from software and Priv sales then use it to fund the development and marketing of upcoming BlackBerry 10 devices
    09-26-15 07:54 AM
    Meh, don't lose hope.

Even if they were to EOL BB10, perhaps someone would buy BB10 from them. It's a full-fledged OS.

As I've said in another post, as long as the hardware division can be profitable, hopefully we will see a yearly handset and small OS updates.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 07:55 AM
    That's surprising. Actually, right now I think BlackBerry is on a pretty good path with the software and hardware business. Times have definitely been worse in the last couple of years. At the moment they seem to have reached a structure and company idea that they can work with. The Priv could open new doors as well and customer perception could finally improve.

BB10 is also far from e.o.l. - it's not a fast paced development but BlackBerry is just too small for that.

If you don't like Android, there's enough reason to buy BB10. If you don't like BB10, there's no need to ditch BlackBerry, just go with the Priv. In that regard, BlackBerry is able to serve many needs now.

Posted via CB10
    igor10000 likes this.
    09-26-15 08:12 AM
    Lord Jesus christ! Another thread like this????....please stop it already!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    igor10000 likes this.
    09-26-15 08:50 PM
    There, there. Would you like a cup of tea?

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    09-26-15 08:55 PM
    The dedication of some people against a piece of software is truly heartwarming. I am moved to tears. On a more serious side, get over it and move on LOL.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-26-15 09:01 PM
    My BB10 phone works exactly the same today as it did two days ago. If you're happy with BB10 today you have every reason to expect it to be around for the life of your phone. On the other hand, if you're dissatisfied with BB10 today, there is no reason to expect it to change into something else.

It may be fascinating to watch the mobile industry evolve, with new technologies, new strategies, winners and losers, but one should choose a mobile OS, carrier, and device based on what one needs right now and possibly for the next 1-3 years.

For some, that will be BB10, for others, Android or iOS. Buy the phone you want and enjoy it. But don't hope for your phone to do anything it doesn't do RIGHT NOW.

When I talk to people who are mad about their XYZ device, it's usually because they bought it based on their hopes of what it might do, not because it actually failed to do what it was designed to do.

I'm happy with BB10 now. I rethink my device and carrier every year in the second quarter, so I can sit back and watch all the new developments between now and March 31. It looks like it will be an interesting time.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-15 09:18 PM
    Lord Jesus christ! Another thread like this????....please stop it already!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Space carpenter can't help. It's CrackBerry, the posts keep coming. It's only a phone.

 Classic
    09-26-15 09:28 PM