01-10-10 01:55 PM
40 12
tools
    May I suggest an appropriate new year resolution............DESCRIPTIVE subjects on the forums.
    Please!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-10 10:34 AM
    With 4G coming to Verizon, it's not too far fetched to see the iPhone on Big Red when that happens. WHEN that happens.. LOL. Also, doesn't AT&T's exclusivity on the iPhone run out in 2011ish? Isn't 4G coming to Big Red around that time? Isn't the Storm 3 being release around that time? Things that make you go hhhhmmm... I can dream can't I?
    01-01-10 01:19 PM
    This is what I believe Rick eluded to. Once Verizon has a faster, data/voice network they will probably be in the running to get the iPhone. I think that they aren't even especially interested in it at this point, given the Droid. They'd be wise to get the Droid to tons of people and see what the increase in bandwidth will do to the network and how to adjust. They *say* they can handle it, but AT&T thought the same thing, and we all know how well that actually worked out.

I think Sprint is a much more likely choice for Apple not only because of the network, but also because their smaller subscriber size will allow them to respond to the sharp increase in bandwidth better.
    -I can remember when Apple was going to put Wimax into there laptops.

-Keep in mind Sprint has been real quiet of late with declaring any of there phones as "iphone killers" unlike Verizon.

-Google and there investments into Wimax may be positioning themselves to acquire Sprint.

-260 providers worldwide use Wimax.

-Apple waiting until 2011 for LTE 4g? Remember Verizon is TESTING LTE, Sprint is DEPLOYING Wimax ..big difference. I think Sprint's timing may be just right for a 4g iphone.
    01-01-10 05:01 PM
    -Apple waiting until 2011 for LTE 4g? Remember Verizon is TESTING LTE, Sprint is DEPLOYING Wimax ..big difference. I think Sprint's timing may be just right for a 4g iphone.
    I certainly hope you are right. I would hate to have the iPhony on Verizon.
    01-01-10 05:48 PM
    Apple needs to expand it's market in the US to keep up w/ RIM & Android.

01-01-10 08:43 PM
    Verizon is going to make the big 4G happen in the next few months. They have been testing it in a couple of cities already. They will be eventually converting to GSM but not overnight so don't fret because of them being CDMA. A BB trainer told me this and it has also been said by a couple of the managers. I know this is not rumor
    01-01-10 11:00 PM
    These are just my opinions, which is what a forum is for, and I could be totally wrong.

Apple is about making money, just like every other company. If you want to make more money in North America, you won't mess around with smaller players like Sprint and T-Mobile. People still speculate about who will buy Sprint to keep them alive. They bleed cash, and not that healthy. Verizon and AT&T dwarf them on install base. I am not sure when they will leave exclusivity with AT&T, and really no one is. If Apple ever makes a CDMA version, which I doubt, they would go Verizon just on pure business strategy.

I would really surprise me that they would build a WiMax version of the phone when the two largest US carriers and most others in NA are not going to deploy WiMax. LTE has won that battle and I think Sprint is crazy. People say they have deployed WiMax, but barely anywhere outside of the major cities. There are no mainstream WiMax phones that I know of to date. It is a data card technology. The phones still have to have a CDMA chip and WiMax chip. LTE combines both. The supposed hundreds of carriers using it worldwide use it for data cards mostly, not phones. Please correct me if I am wrong, but WiMax seems to be the CDMA of 4G in the world.

Lastly, CDMA real life data speeds are not that different from UTMS. Read the real world tests. Sprint is CDMA and they generally win in those tests. Don't get me wrong, GSM based technology is the way to go and I think Verizon was crazy when they stuck with CDMA. It just is not a "realized" advantage on speed for most people. Combine that with far less UTMS coverage in the USA, and CDMA wins for now. People need stuff they can deploy and use, not vaporware. If you live in an area you rarely leave and are happy with Sprint or AT&T, great but just realize you are not the majority of phone users. It is your experience but not what drives all users.

I travel a lot, and I would love 4G. However, if I had Sprint, I would have little or no coverage where I go. Lastly, I would not have even 3G with AT&T most places. I had AT&T for years. The only thing keeping them in the race for no1 and no1 carriers is the iPhone. Their network sucks and it sucked before the iPhone pulled down the data at too fast a rate.

I bet Apple builds an LTE phone as the next version, or at least I hope they do.
    Last edited by dbw1000; 01-02-10 at 07:16 AM.
    01-02-10 07:14 AM
    These are just my opinions, which is what a forum is for, and I could be totally wrong.

Apple is about making money, just like every other company. If you want to make more money in North America, you won't mess around with smaller players like Sprint and T-Mobile. People still speculate about who will buy Sprint to keep them alive. They bleed cash, and not that healthy. Verizon and AT&T dwarf them on install base. I am not sure when they will leave exclusivity with AT&T, and really no one is. If Apple ever makes a CDMA version, which I doubt, they would go Verizon just on pure business strategy.

I would really surprise me that they would build a WiMax version of the phone when the two largest US carriers and most others in NA are not going to deploy WiMax. LTE has won that battle and I think Sprint is crazy. People say they have deployed WiMax, but barely anywhere outside of the major cities. There are no mainstream WiMax phones that I know of to date. It is a data card technology. The phones still have to have a CDMA chip and WiMax chip. LTE combines both. The supposed hundreds of carriers using it worldwide use it for data cards mostly, not phones. Please correct me if I am wrong, but WiMax seems to be the CDMA of 4G in the world.

Lastly, CDMA real life data speeds are not that different from UTMS. Read the real world tests. Sprint is CDMA and they generally win in those tests. Don't get me wrong, GSM based technology is the way to go and I think Verizon was crazy when they stuck with CDMA. It just is not a "realized" advantage on speed for most people. Combine that with far less UTMS coverage in the USA, and CDMA wins for now. People need stuff they can deploy and use, not vaporware. If you live in an area you rarely leave and are happy with Sprint or AT&T, great but just realize you are not the majority of phone users. It is your experience but not what drives all users.

I travel a lot, and I would love 4G. However, if I had Sprint, I would have little or no coverage where I go. Lastly, I would not have even 3G with AT&T most places. I had AT&T for years. The only thing keeping them in the race for no1 and no1 carriers is the iPhone. Their network sucks and it sucked before the iPhone pulled down the data at too fast a rate.

I bet Apple builds an LTE phone as the next version, or at least I hope they do.
    Just to clarify Sprint is not building Wimax, Clear with the investments of Intel, Motorola,Google,Comcast,Time Warner and Sprint are building a Wimax network.

Sprint will be utilizing the network as will Clear themselves who will offer there own services. This is not only about Sprint data cards and phones, this is also about Clear selling wireless internet service to home/business users. Which at $30 a month is not to bad, I would dump Road Runner in a minute.

Keep in mind this whole LTE vs Wimax thing is politics. Verizon and AT&T did not choose LTE based on technology advantages. It was basically picked for them because Nokia and Ericson was not backing Wimax and that is who Verizon and AT&T is most comfortable with. This is how business works, it's very political. So it was the manufactures who started this political war of LTE vs Wimax which both technologies are very similar, they actually both came from GSM air interface.

I think we spend to much time on these forums and get caught up into this Verizon vs AT&T / CDMA vs GSM / iphone vs Droid / and now Wimax vs LTE. All of these and many more have strong and weak points there really is no winner and it will be that way with Wimax and LTE, they will coexist.
    01-02-10 09:25 PM
    Verizon is going to make the big 4G happen in the next few months. They have been testing it in a couple of cities already. They will be eventually converting to GSM but not overnight so don't fret because of them being CDMA. A BB trainer told me this and it has also been said by a couple of the managers. I know this is not rumor
    Verizon is not "converting to GSM" in the way most people would think when they read that. You won't be able to just slap a Verizon SIM in a GSM phone for a LONG time. They're launching LTE, which is NOT the natural upgrade path of CDMA. HOWEVER, they are NOT going to go back and change their already reliable 1X-RTT voice network to 2G-GSM (which would cause them to lose TONS of rural coverage) or even 3G-WCDMA/UMTS. The idea is to launch LTE as their 4G network, and 5-6 years up the road start fading out their EV-DO network, making more room/spectrum free for LTE. As the years go on, and LTE proves it can handle voice well, they may also start clearing out spectrum from 1X, leaving just enough for legacy devices. Eventually (and this is a long way off, probably a decade at least) the next new tech will come out, allowing them to cut off their 1X network, and start the cycle all over again. At this point, but not until this point, Verizon could be considered a GSM network.

Verizon LTE is going to be nothing like the current GSM carriers either. I believe they already said their SIMs will only work in their devices. They may loosen this up in the future, but for now it's still gonna be a closed network.I'll try to dig that up and edit this post accordingly.
    01-02-10 09:48 PM
    I must agree with the LTE comments. It doesn't make sense to produce a CDMA phone when LTE will be coming online in 2-3 years (maybe sooner). The corporate bean counters think years in advance.

And I suspect the iPhone will still have a big draw on VZW even if it doesn't come out until 2011. You'll see subscribers defecting from AT&T.
    01-02-10 10:57 PM
    One main reason that Apple sticks with AT&T is because they're waiting for the 4G jump. I'm guessing they're just fine selling the iPod touch to anyone since there isn't a network involved. When the 4G comes up and proves itself, then they'll start pushing for more networks. Now they don't care because we're so close to the technology jump.

So whether it's LTE or WiMax, I'm guessing they don't plan on switching until those networks are up. There's too much competition and they're doing fine as is.

01-03-10 12:23 AM
    My buddy who who works for a 3rd party cell company who mans the towers, told me on Halloween that they have been seeing messages coming through from iPhones on the Verizon network, for testing.

Also the iPhone killer commercials for the Droid, were made by Motorola, not Verizon. And I believe Verizon was making announcements stressing that they had no connections to them.
    01-09-10 07:32 PM
    lol deffinetly a rumor.
    01-10-10 10:17 AM
    Also the iPhone killer commercials for the Droid, were made by Motorola, not Verizon. And I believe Verizon was making announcements stressing that they had no connections to them.
    This is incorrect. Motorola didnt have 100 mil sitting in the bank to spend on advertising. Verizon did and they are the ones who hyped the product, just like VZW did for the 9530.

Anyways i tend to frequent some macfag sites and apparently the new rumor is Apple and VZW are in talks, but VZW isnt looking to pay the absurd amount per iPhone like other retailers do. With the Pre Plus, Nexus One, and Tour 2 right around the corner VZW doesnt have to put its eggs in one basket like AT&T does.

If the deal falls through, i think the next likely candidate would be T-Mobile. I doubt you'll see Sprint receive the phone but maybe Apple might surprise.
    01-10-10 12:52 PM
    This is incorrect. Motorola didnt have 100 mil sitting in the bank to spend on advertising. Verizon did and they are the ones who hyped the product, just like VZW did for the 9530.

Anyways i tend to frequent some macfag sites and apparently the new rumor is Apple and VZW are in talks, but VZW isnt looking to pay the absurd amount per iPhone like other retailers do. With the Pre Plus, Nexus One, and Tour 2 right around the corner VZW doesnt have to put its eggs in one basket like AT&T does.

If the deal falls through, i think the next likely candidate would be T-Mobile. I doubt you'll see Sprint receive the phone but maybe Apple might surprise.
    Which is why seeing other GSM carriers getting the iPhone in the future is a more viable rumor.
    01-10-10 01:55 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD