Then since you and the OP are from the area and know the store so well, why are you so surprised and angry?

Hilarious attempt to change tactic. ROFL. You're killing me here.

This just in: If atrocities are committed on a regular basis in your neighborhood, you have no right to complain, publicize, organize for change or be unhappy - becuz, yanno... it just happens there.
    ray689, Nharzhool and canuckvoip like this.
    02-22-14 10:13 PM
    The guy went in with a device in mind that the OP told him about. The sales person convinced him otherwise. You and the other couple in here keep sticking up for this sales rep as doing the right thing for this customer.
    Nobody stated the rep did the right thing for the customer. You are putting words in people's mouths.
    02-22-14 10:16 PM
    [repost]

Disagreed, lol. The commission is the same on any phone a salesperson sells. There may be spiffs in place for certain manufacturers though.

[...]
    (Oh, and by the way - based on your comment quoted above - I assume you are in the retail mobile phone business?)

Still waiting for an answer.
    02-22-14 10:17 PM
    I keep hearing about these occurrences of people getting talked away from a BB and into the latest Android or iPhone, then sift through a ton of comments calling out others as trolls of fanboys (either directly, or indirectly) depending on which side they comment on. To me, I'm somewhat surprised people are that easily persuaded away from something they set out to buy. Are that many people so easily manipulated, bullied, eager to please, fearful of criticism, ect., that these kind of tactics are profitable to sales people? Personally, this has never happened to me with an electronic device, nor have I seen it happen within earshot. But I usually happen to know more specifically about what I intend to buy than the salesperson does. However, I don't doubt this happens on a pretty wide scale. (ever buy a car from a lot?) Something similar happened to my brother, who is more than capable, and normally perfectly willing, to stand up for himself. He told he was considering switching his family over to the same carrier I use. So I told him to let me know so I could show him where to get the information he needed to get the most for his money since he wanted to accomplish this as cheaply as possible. I use and love BlackBerry, but I get that not everyone does and that there are plenty of very nice Android devices out there. So I let him know that that the Z10 could be had for $0/contract. I don't care who you are, that is a lot of smartphone for $0! A week later, he calls me with his new # and tells me how he made the switch. I asked him what he ended up getting. He tells me his wife had him on a $50 limit. Does he get the Z10 for $0, the GS3 for $49, the Droid Mini for $49? Nope...he asked about the Z10, but was quickly dissuaded from that because the sales guy told him the same old lines about how BB was bankrupt and going to be sold, his phone would not be supported so would not function once they went out of business, no apps, buggy OS, ect... My brother ended up with a Droid Razr M for $.01 that he hated within one week. Personally, I don't reward salespeople who use these tactics with getting a commission off of me. I've walked out of plenty of appliance shops, car lots, TV shops, ect.. I'll do business with someone who can present me with honest, insightful information so that I can make an informed decision for my best interest, not for a sales quota or some other self interest for the sales staff or the store.
    Exactly. Including my fathers experience that would make 4 out of 6 bad experiences. The worst was my wife's who put it best when she was getting her Q and after leaving Bestbuy we looked at each other and she said, "She was so excited to be getting her new phone but after the experience at the store she was totally disappointed". How can that be justified?
    02-22-14 10:19 PM
    Hilarious attempt to change tactic. ROFL. You're killing me here.

This just in: If atrocities are committed on a regular basis in your neighborhood, you have no right to complain, publicize, organize for change or be unhappy - becuz, yanno... it just happens there.
    No- you do have a right to complain and criticize and press for change. But you also have a responsibility to lock your doors and windows at night rather than complaining about a break-in you were pretty sure was coming that happened when your doors were left open. I like your analogy.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 10:20 PM
    Nobody stated the rep did the right thing for the customer. You are putting words in people's mouths.
    They are arguing that he did the wrong thing (which is what the OP is getting at). What does that imply to you? Does it imply that they fully agree but are just arguing for no reason then?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 10:22 PM
    Including my fathers experience that would make 4 out of 6 bad experiences.
    If you had 3 of 5 "bad experiences" to that point with an inclination that there might be another, you should have been there.
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-22-14 10:24 PM
    No- you do have a right to complain and criticize and press for change. But you also have a responsibility to lock your doors and windows at night rather than complaining about a break-in you were pretty sure was coming that happened when your doors were left open. I like your analogy.

Posted via CB10
    Arming his father with the information he needed going in because he lives far away was like locking his doors. Guess what, the sales rep smashed the window anyways.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 10:24 PM

Wasn't talking about personal security vulnerability.

"Atrocities" can be anything. I can complain about and be outraged by a high number of rapes of women in my neighborhood even if I'm not a woman and not directly physically threatened by it.

The reasoning seems to have now changed to - "well well well.... why are you 'surprised and angry'"?.

Seriously? That's just a giant fail of an argument. It's actually not an argument at all. It's like asking someone why are they are upset if their heart stops working.
    ray689 likes this.
    02-22-14 10:30 PM
    Arming his father with the information he needed going in because he lives far away was like locking his doors. Guess what, the sales rep smashed the window anyways.

Posted via CB10
    His father did not leave with a Q because he wasn't strong enough to stand up to a sales rep and get the phone he went for. That is his father's fault - not the sales rep's fault. If the OP thought his father was not strong enough to stand up to a sales rep in a store he believes is biased against BlackBerry, he should have gone with him. His father is not a victim. He made a choice to leave without the phone he wanted. If he is mentally incapable of making choices on his own, then the OP should have gone with him. But the OP didn't say that, so we can assume he was capable of telling a sales rep to get him the phone he wanted. It is his father's fault he left the store without a BlackBerry and no one else's.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    02-22-14 10:32 PM
    He lives too far away to help his dad get set up with the device but not to go in and raise heck because the acquisition didn't turn out the way he had hoped. Right.
    sentimentGX4 and bbq10l like this.
    02-22-14 10:34 PM
    Just to refresh what this is about. My father who is 84 and has parkinsons has troubles with an iPhone. On a family visit he asked me to help him with his iPhone. I asked if he had tried a physical keyboard so I let him try my Q. It wasn't until last night that I found out he liked the feel of the keys when typing. It was then he told me about his experience at the store asking about trying the Q and basically being told that the iPhone was what he needed. When you come from that generation you don't expect that kind of reaction when buying something. I didn't have to be there to know it was true because we had a similar type of experience. So now if he wants a Q10 I have to go with him. In what world is that not messed up.
    02-22-14 10:36 PM
    It is his father's fault he left the store without a BlackBerry and no one else's.

Tactic change attempt #2 noted.

"It's his fault that his father beat him to a pulp on a daily basis, because he should have {this}, or he should have {that} or he should have {some other thing}, because, yanno, it's not the dad's fault. The kid was just too damn lazy to figure out how to stop getting beaten."

If a used-car salesman lies to someone in Peoria, and no one else was there and no car was purchased - was it really a lie?
    ray689 and canuckvoip like this.
    02-22-14 10:39 PM
    Just to refresh what this is about. My father who is 84 and has parkinsons has troubles with an iPhone. On a family visit he asked me to help him with his iPhone. I asked if he had tried a physical keyboard so I let him try my Q. It wasn't until last night that I found out he liked the feel of the keys when typing. It was then he told me about his experience at the store asking about trying the Q and basically being told that the iPhone was what he needed. When you come from that generation you don't expect that kind of reaction when buying something. I didn't have to be there to know it was true because we had a similar type of experience. So now if he wants a Q10 I have to go with him. In what world is that not messed up.
    Since you have clarified your father is not mentally disabled, which I have maintained, then it is purely your father's fault he left the store without the phone he wanted. People in your father's generation are no strangers to adversity. Thank you for repeating your post; I'm sure we all understood it the first time. We simply see no point in starting a thread because life is unfair. Your father knew life was unfair and salesmen can be slimy long before you did. He should have stuck up for himself and bought the phone he wanted.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    02-22-14 10:42 PM
    His hand has been forced you tool. His father is not happy with what he was sold.
    Again, you were asked a question earlier that you failed to answer. Lets hear it.
    Why does it matter what I do for a living? I've asked the OP directly why he wasn't there for his elderly father to avoid all the trouble he encountered. That's more pertinent to the conversation. And it's yet to be answered.
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-22-14 10:43 PM
    Since you have clarified your father is not mentally disabled, which I have maintained, then it is purely your father's fault he left the store without the phone he wanted. People in your father's generation are no strangers to adversity. Thank you for repeating your post; I'm sure we all understood it the first time. We simply see no point in starting a thread because life is unfair. Your father knew life was unfair and salesmen can be slimy long before you did. He should have stuck up for himself and bought the phone he wanted.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe he was thinking like you and the other few in here and believed that sales reps are looking out for the best interest of this elderly person and not selling him a phone that wouldn't be right for him? Haven't you and your cronies in this thread been spewing that garbage?

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    02-22-14 10:45 PM
    This notion that salespeople have the power to sell anything other than exactly what a customer wants from them is patently ridiculous and a strange phenomenon I've witnessed exactly NOWHERE outside of Crackberry. If a person wants a qwerty phone, they tell the rep that. However much the rep may try and sway them,...that's what salespeople DO, folks.

They're not holding a gun to your head.
    bbq10l and sentimentGX4 like this.
    He lives too far away to help his dad get set up with the device but not to go in and raise heck because the acquisition didn't turn out the way he had hoped. Right.
    That's just lame. What's wrong with you? Why should anybody feel it is necessary to take someone with them just to feel free to try a phone.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    Why does it matter what I do for a living? I've asked the OP directly why he wasn't there for his elderly father to avoid all the trouble he encountered. That's more pertinent to the conversation. And it's yet to be answered.
    It matters because you speak like you are an expert in retail phone sales. So are you or what?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 10:46 PM
    Why should anybody feel it is necessary to take someone with them just to feel free to try a phone.
    That's not what I'm asking.
    02-22-14 10:47 PM
    Why don't you stop implying that his father is mentally incapable. Sales reps know how to manipulate. Are you trying to say that all the stories you see in here about sales rep bias is not actually true and they don't have any? That's what this thread is about. The fact that there is bias against BlackBerry. Say what you will, it's a fact. Now **** off because you are clueless.
    If the salesman is biased against Blackberry, so what?

Some guys on this thread make it sound like it is a crime to recommend an iPhone. It is not immoral/unethical in any way. There is no significant gain for a salesperson recommending iPhone over Blackberry and, for many consumers, the roles of the phones are interchangeable. (This is especially true for individuals like the OP's father, who does not sound like he cares about smartphones.)

The entire premise that "the salesperson manipulated me into buying an iPhone over a Q10!" and needs to be reprimanded sounds absolutely ridiculous outside the internet technosphere.
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-22-14 10:49 PM
    It matters because you speak like you are an expert in retail phone sales. So are you or what?
    I specialize in sales and marketing. What do you do for a living?
    02-22-14 10:50 PM
    This notion that salespeople have the power to sell anything other than exactly what a customer wants from them is patently ridiculous and a strange phenomenon I've witnessed exactly NOWHERE outside of Crackberry. If a person wants a qwerty phone, they tell the rep that. However much the rep may try and sway them,...that's what salespeople DO, folks.

They're not holding a gun to your head.
    Nobody said that man. Get it straight. Average consumers are not experts in mobile tech. If an average person goes in and is told things like..."don't by this one because that company is out of business" then what do you think they will do?
    Kind of like if I went to a plumbing store to buy a certain brand of air conditioner. Guess what, I wouldn't leave the store with it if the rep told me, don't buy it they're out of business. You know why, because I don't know squat about air conditioners. Did that rep do the right thing?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 10:50 PM
    People in your father's generation are no strangers to adversity.

I must admit, that one came outta nowhere.

We simply see no point in starting a thread because life is unfair. Your father knew life was unfair and salesmen can be slimy long before you did. He should have stuck up for himself and bought the phone he wanted.

Translation: slime, sleaze, corruption, fraud, bullying and deceit are just things that are. If you point it out, call it out, suggest it's unacceptable... you're just a spoiled whiner who needs a few more World Wars under their belt.

Hehehehhe. Love this.
    ray689 likes this.
    02-22-14 10:51 PM
    Your father knew life was unfair and salesmen can be slimy long before you did. He should have stuck up for himself and bought the phone he wanted.
    Or walked out until he could get some more advice.
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-22-14 10:53 PM
184 ... 45678