Afraid not. Try again. I may be frustrated that I have to go just so he can look at getting a Q10. If the thread is going off in so many directions take a look in the mirror.
    Serious question. You obviously believe carriers have it out for BlackBerry. You are a huge fan and post on these forums and have likely read about troubles in stores when people tried to buy BlackBerry. What exactly did you think was going to happen based on the information you have? Could you not have forseen this and saved your dad the trouble and yourself some irritation and just gone with him or ordered it online to start with? Carriers will always usually push the phone that gives the biggest commission and won't likely be returned. All is fair in sales. You can't blame a carrier or salesperson for considering their own best interests.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:24 PM
    So, you would sacrifice your time to correct a problem for a loved one, but not prevent it.

It's kinda like if you recommend he buy Ford F-150 but they sell him a Toyota Yaris instead. With the reason being they feel it would suit his needs better. What is there to be angry about? Other than your pride being hurt.
    Good grief. If he wanted to look at a Q10 then he should be free to look at a Q10. Uh did you miss the part about already having tried an iPhone. Not angry just tired of the crap? If I was angry you would know it.
    02-22-14 09:27 PM
    You obviously believe carriers have it out for BlackBerry. You are a huge fan and post on these forums and have likely read about troubles in stores when people tried to buy BlackBerry. What exactly did you think was going to happen based on the information you have? Could you not have forseen this and saved your dad the trouble and yourself some irritation and just gone with him or ordered it online to start with?
    Agreed. That is the underlying question.
    02-22-14 09:29 PM
    Serious question. You obviously believe carriers have it out for BlackBerry. You are a huge fan and post on these forums and have likely read about troubles in stores when people tried to buy BlackBerry. What exactly did you think was going to happen based on the information you have? Could you not have forseen this and saved your dad the trouble and yourself some irritation and just gone with him or ordered it online to start with? Carriers will always usually push the phone that gives the biggest commission and won't likely be returned. All is fair in sales. You can't blame a carrier or salesperson for considering their own best interests.

Posted via CB10
    Serious Question right back at you. Do you think you should have to take backup to a store just so you can maybe buy a phone?
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    02-22-14 09:30 PM
    Carriers will always usually push the phone that gives the biggest commission and won't likely be returned. All is fair in sales. You can't blame a carrier or salesperson for considering their own best interests.
    Disagreed, lol. The commission is the same on any phone a salesperson sells. There may be spiffs in place for certain manufacturers though.

And how do we know what transpired between the salesperson and the customer? We're only hearing 1 side of a 3 sided story.
    02-22-14 09:31 PM
    Serious Question right back at you. Do you think you should have to take backup to a store just so you can maybe buy a phone?
    No. But you should assist your 84 year old father with Parkinson's in making a $700 gadget purchase. Especially if you recommended it.
    bbq10l and richardat like this.
    02-22-14 09:35 PM
    If I truly believed that carriers have it out for BlackBerry and push other phones on customers at the expense of BlackBerry, then yes, I think you should have gone with your dad. Only you know your dad. Could he handle the situation? Apparently not because you have to fix it. What I "think" may not jive with reality. My experience in buying BlackBerry was simple. I asked for a Q and got it with no problem. But you believe carriers are against BlackBerry, so based on your belief, you should have gone as backup.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:36 PM
    No, that's actually manufacturers doing what they're supposed to. They recognize the importance of salespeople and connect with them. That's a concept totally foreign to BlackBerry.

And you see, this is a popular concept nowadays that really yanks my chain.

Basically, when some company with shareholders and people who stand to make a profit are involved, then ethics and morals and standards of behaviour all go out the window.

Sorry, I don't subscribe to that.

"Recognize the importance of bullies and connect with them." Fixed that for you.

You see, I spent over 10 years in the retail business, selling things on the retail salesfloor. Including lots of consumer electronics including cellphones.

And I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, that a lot of mobile-phone salespeople are not unlike bullies, they tend to be cartoonishly opinionated and oftentimes very, very pushy. I'm not sure who I rate higher - them or used-car salespeople.

This "works" from the standpoint of sales, because many people are easily pushed-into products and don't know enough to know when they might end up with something very unsatisfactory because they just don't know what their options are.

That doesn't mean that it's ethical or respectful to push things on people that are not right for them.

I totally understand the concept of steering customers away from products that have a poor track-record or that you are afraid will just bounce back to you.

But when a person comes in looking for a particular product and knows the reasons why (not just coming in as a "blank slate" who "heard something" about some product), then when you railroad them into something else mostly because it lines your pocket or it dovetails with your personal biases, then yes, you may actually be a bully.

But apparently to a lot of people, "bullying" is OK as long as people are getting rich doing it.
    02-22-14 09:39 PM
    Disagreed, lol. The commission is the same on any phone a salesperson sells. There may be spiffs in place for certain manufacturers though.

And how do we know what transpired between the salesperson and the customer? We're only hearing 1 side of a 3 sided story.
    Just come here and try it out yourself. This isn't an isolated incident. So far I have received a $50 gift certificate from Bestbuy for one bad experience. And SaskTel will sort out my issue. It almost seems like you think there is something wrong with wanting to buy a Blackberry so why are you here?
    02-22-14 09:41 PM

Sophistry.

If there are financial incentives to sell one product over another, then it makes no difference whether that incentive comes in the form of commission or spiffs.

In fact, spiffs are even more insidious because when I was in retail, we got paid spiffs in cash the day of the sale, whereas commissions were only paid at the end of the month in our paycheck.

So spiffs are, in many ways, even more manipulative of what a salesperson who is offered them pushes on customers, because it goes right into their pocket within hours of making the sale.

(Oh, and by the way - based on your comment quoted above - I assume you are in the retail mobile phone business?)
    canuckvoip likes this.
    02-22-14 09:42 PM
    No. But you should assist your 84 year old father with Parkinson's in making a $700 gadget purchase. Especially if you recommended it.
    I am sure my dad will sleep a lot better knowing you are so concerned for him. Maybe in my spare time I can get a job at the store so when he comes in I can say "Yes sir I can help you with that"
    ray689, Omnitech and canuckvoip like this.
    02-22-14 09:47 PM
    Just come here and try it out yourself. This isn't an isolated incident. So far I have received a $50 gift certificate from Bestbuy for one bad experience. And SaskTel will sort out my issue. It almost seems like you think there is something wrong with wanting to buy a Blackberry so why are you here?
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to buy a BlackBerry. There's also nothing wrong with a salesperson wanting to get a customer into the most suitable product.

If your carrier will sort out your issue (which is still unclear), what's the reason for your rant?
    02-22-14 09:50 PM
    No, that's actually manufacturers doing what they're supposed to. They recognize the importance of salespeople and connect with them. That's a concept totally foreign to BlackBerry.
    Okay, so he's fine and dandy giving out false information for the sake of a sale, tarnishing a brand he has no knowledge of?

I'm under the assumption that you are that said employee. Then again you did falsely claim I was a bully and coward, I can also play your game.

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:51 PM
    I am sure my dad will sleep a lot better knowing you are so concerned for him.
    It only matters if you're concerned for him. As a previous poster mentioned earlier, if you had any inclination something may go astray with his purchase you should have been there for him.
    02-22-14 09:53 PM
    How do you know the sales clerk had no rhyme or reason? You weren't there and didn't ask him. Maybe he believes BlackBerry will be gone in a year and didn't want an elderly man to waste his money. Maybe he was concerned an elderly man couldn't get support if needed, and all he has to do is go to an Apple store for iphone support. Maybe he truly thinks BlackBerry is awful and was trying to do him a favor as he saw it. Maybe the salesperson has bought the BlackBerry assertion that BlackBerry is a prosumer phone and not a consumer phone, so why would a man in his 80s need it. Salespeople trying to steer customers in another direction is common in sales. And, we are not "missing the point." Some of us just do not agree with you.

Posted via CB10
    Or maybe you are absolutely full of it. First of all, follow the story of the OP. Second of all, I live in the city that this person in talking about and yes there is only one future shop here and I know exactly how the sales reps are there and every other sasktel store in this city. So spare me your garbage about some tool iphone loving sales rep wanting to look out for an elderly person. Give it a rest because like the OP I am way more aware of the sales rep situation in this city and province that you ever would be.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech and canuckvoip like this.
    02-22-14 09:55 PM
    I apologize. I forgot BlackBerry fans consider apps on smartphones to be gimmicks. So I guess there was no point in the gazillion threads about BlackBerry "running android better than android." Weren't you singing those praises in the store? I thought apps was one of the reasons the phones don't sell...Ummm- yea, I think I'm right.

Posted via CB10
    What!? I wasn't singing praises, ii simply showed the guy that Q10SQN100-5/10.2.1.2141 can run android apps. Did you miss the point where another employee at the same kiosk said that this changes everything?

Don't worry, I'll wait

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    02-22-14 09:56 PM
    Or maybe you are absolutely full of it. First of all, follow the story of the OP. Second of all, I live in the city that this person in talking about and yes there is only one future shop here and I know exactly how the sales reps are there and every other sasktel store in this city. So spare me your garbage about some tool iphone loving sales rep wanting to look out for an elderly person. Give it a rest because like the OP I am way more aware of the sales rep situation in this city and province that you ever would be.

Posted via CB10
    Then since you and the OP are from the area and know the store so well, why are you so surprised and angry? Neither you nor the OP were there and don't know why the sales guy did what he allegedly did. If you both do know the stores and problems so well, then the OP should have simply gone with his dad and avoided the problem.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 09:59 PM
    I wasn't singing praises, ii simply showed the guy that Q10SQN100-5/10.2.1.2141 can run android apps.) Did you miss the point where another employee at the same kiosk said that this changes everything?
    Did you miss the point that BlackBerry obviously hasn't communicated that information to store reps? Maybe you should redirect your frustration to the folks in Waterloo for what you see happening at the retail level.
    02-22-14 10:02 PM
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to buy a BlackBerry. There's also nothing wrong with a salesperson wanting to get a customer into the most suitable product.

If your carrier will sort out your issue (which is still unclear), what's the reason for your rant?
    Wow! For real? I support my carrier to the tune of $350 bucks a month. We will be exchanging the iPhone for a Q10. If you are wondering about the reason for this thread then I suggest go back and read it.
    canuckvoip likes this.
    02-22-14 10:02 PM
    Then since you and the OP are from the area and know the store so well, why are you so surprised and angry? Neither you nor the OP were there and don't know why the sales guy did what he allegedly did. If you both do know the stores and problems so well, then the OP should have simply gone with his dad and avoided the problem.

Posted via CB10
    And that makes perfect sense to you does it?
    02-22-14 10:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    You are a relentless..... The guy went in with a device in mind that the OP told him about. The sales person convinced him otherwise. You and the other couple in here keep sticking up for this sales rep as doing the right thing for this customer. Guess what, he is not happy with the purchase and wants what he went in for.
    And the OP lives over an hour and half away hence why he discussed it with his father and told him to ask for a Q10.
    Now you and the other guy in here who just don't get it can just lay off the OP already. From getting the whole story wrong to implying some mental impairment, you trolls look like morons. Nobody including the OP care what you two think so get lost because you aren't making a point.

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    02-22-14 10:06 PM
    What!? I wasn't singing praises, ii simply showed the guy that Q10SQN100-5/10.2.1.2141 can run android apps. Did you miss the point where another employee at the same kiosk said that this changes everything?"

Don't worry, I'll wait

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm-well, if the android runtime changes everything, then apps must be more than a "gimmick"...

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 10:06 PM
    I keep hearing about these occurrences of people getting talked away from a BB and into the latest Android or iPhone, then sift through a ton of comments calling out others as trolls of fanboys (either directly, or indirectly) depending on which side they comment on. To me, I'm somewhat surprised people are that easily persuaded away from something they set out to buy. Are that many people so easily manipulated, bullied, eager to please, fearful of criticism, ect., that these kind of tactics are profitable to sales people? Personally, this has never happened to me with an electronic device, nor have I seen it happen within earshot. But I usually happen to know more specifically about what I intend to buy than the salesperson does. However, I don't doubt this happens on a pretty wide scale. (ever buy a car from a lot?) Something similar happened to my brother, who is more than capable, and normally perfectly willing, to stand up for himself. He told he was considering switching his family over to the same carrier I use. So I told him to let me know so I could show him where to get the information he needed to get the most for his money since he wanted to accomplish this as cheaply as possible. I use and love BlackBerry, but I get that not everyone does and that there are plenty of very nice Android devices out there. So I let him know that that the Z10 could be had for $0/contract. I don't care who you are, that is a lot of smartphone for $0! A week later, he calls me with his new # and tells me how he made the switch. I asked him what he ended up getting. He tells me his wife had him on a $50 limit. Does he get the Z10 for $0, the GS3 for $49, the Droid Mini for $49? Nope...he asked about the Z10, but was quickly dissuaded from that because the sales guy told him the same old lines about how BB was bankrupt and going to be sold, his phone would not be supported so would not function once they went out of business, no apps, buggy OS, ect... My brother ended up with a Droid Razr M for $.01 that he hated within one week. Personally, I don't reward salespeople who use these tactics with getting a commission off of me. I've walked out of plenty of appliance shops, car lots, TV shops, ect.. I'll do business with someone who can present me with honest, insightful information so that I can make an informed decision for my best interest, not for a sales quota or some other self interest for the sales staff or the store.
    02-22-14 10:07 PM
    Did you miss the point that BlackBerry obviously hasn't communicated that information to store reps? Maybe you should redirect your frustration to the folks in Waterloo for what you see happening at the retail level.
    Or maybe we should just post our experiences on this forum. That way it gives you something to do. BTW I always warn people when talking about looking at a BB10 to be prepared for the nonsense.
    02-22-14 10:08 PM
    If you are wondering about the reason for this thread then I suggest go back and read it.
    I took your suggestion. Still can't find it. Can you summarize it in a sentence or two please?
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-22-14 10:09 PM
184 ... 34567 ...