This is a really narrow-minded philosphy. I don't know about software. But, as someone who writes for t.v., this is a subject that is very close. When you pirate tv shows or films, you don't just take money from some big uber-wealthy company. I.e. Paramount, or Warner Brothers. You take it from, the writers, directors, actors, key grips, camera and sound folks, basically everyone involved in some way. Hard working folks who are not millionaires despite what the general public may think.

You might think you're striking back against "The Man" when you pirate content but, I promise, its the folks at the bottom of the totem pole that lose the most.
    The argument that digital filesharing "takes money" is tenuous at best. There's no way you can prove someone would be willing to pay for content were it available exclusively as physical media. Even then, physical media can be copied in much the same manner. I cannot begin to count the amount of culture I've experienced through friends who dubbed a cassette or later burned a cd, or the research references to which I've been able to maintain access by photocopying or scanning a pdf. Copying allowed me to discern what my tastes were, and to later actively seek out physical, licensed, quality reproductions to include in my home library, and I'm quite thrilled to make digital copies of my library content in order to educate others and afford them the same level of access I had, and I don't use online filesharing. I'm also the sort of consumer at least some aspects of the entertainment industry hope to cultivate, as I happily buy the blu-ray edition of the dvd, or the redbook or dvd audio, in order to improve the quality of the works I would like to have available to me.

Public libraries began as penny lending libraries, but are now regarded as necessary to the elevation of the education of the general populace (to the extent of individual initiative, of course). Filesharing repositories are an outgrowth of the archival, librarian instinct coupled with the advances of the age. I agree with shutting down actual pirates who seek to profit off the labor of creators and producers, but the majority of filesharers are not enabled by piracy and are technically not pirates.

Eventually Big Content is going to have to accept the decline in revenue is, in my opinion, more likely due to obvious oversaturation of disposable content, which consumers don't value and would rather unwatch if they could, than the availability of low-quality digital copies available for free online. Personally I think Amazon has a better model than Apple, and it's because of itunes that i refuse to ever use apple anything ever again. If amazon were to make the majority of content available to kindle fire owners exclusively, I'll ditch them too and trot on down to the local public library, or a public bar and start chatting about music and books and start up a trade.
    VanCity778 likes this.
    02-21-12 12:53 AM
    I can remember in the early 80's there was a cassette tape exchange promoted through metal and other rock magazines. People would copy new metal bands and exchange them with other people across Canada and the USA. It is a little ironic that Metallica's rise to fame was because of early tape trading. Two decades later they help kill Napster.

The artists make a small fraction on every song that is sold. They make real money when they go on tour. I for one will never pay for a song. Last time i spent a penny on music was in the 90's. There are plenty of ways to consume media, legal or otherwise.

I will never give iTunes one single dollar as long as I'm alive.
    02-21-12 01:09 AM
    The argument that digital filesharing "takes money" is tenuous at best. There's no way you can prove someone would be willing to pay for content were it available exclusively as physical media. Even then, physical media can be copied in much the same manner. I cannot begin to count the amount of culture I've experienced through friends who dubbed a cassette or later burned a cd, or the research references to which I've been able to maintain access by photocopying or scanning a pdf. Copying allowed me to discern what my tastes were, and to later actively seek out physical, licensed, quality reproductions to include in my home library, and I'm quite thrilled to make digital copies of my library content in order to educate others and afford them the same level of access I had, and I don't use online filesharing. I'm also the sort of consumer at least some aspects of the entertainment industry hope to cultivate, as I happily buy the blu-ray edition of the dvd, or the redbook or dvd audio, in order to improve the quality of the works I would like to have available to me.

Public libraries began as penny lending libraries, but are now regarded as necessary to the elevation of the education of the general populace (to the extent of individual initiative, of course). Filesharing repositories are an outgrowth of the archival, librarian instinct coupled with the advances of the age. I agree with shutting down actual pirates who seek to profit off the labor of creators and producers, but the majority of filesharers are not enabled by piracy and are technically not pirates.

Eventually Big Content is going to have to accept the decline in revenue is, in my opinion, more likely due to obvious oversaturation of disposable content, which consumers don't value and would rather unwatch if they could, than the availability of low-quality digital copies available for free online. Personally I think Amazon has a better model than Apple, and it's because of itunes that i refuse to ever use apple anything ever again. If amazon were to make the majority of content available to kindle fire owners exclusively, I'll ditch them too and trot on down to the local public library, or a public bar and start chatting about music and books and start up a trade.
    I wouldn't say the arguement it tenuous. Filesharing allows pirated media and software to be distributed. Sad yes. What needs to be realized is that all files shared isn't pirated. A real big problem w/ fileshareing sites is even though they would be very good additions to libaries, nobody is sharing national geographics.
    02-21-12 01:40 AM
    Just spoke with the owner of this control engineering group who is trying to switch over to an iphone.

He was on the fence about it but once he found that he cant load music or anything onto his phone without itunes he said he's done with it. He said "Back to my 9650". I was wtf? An iphone 4s cant compete with a 9650. Lawl.
    Did you slap yourself after this post? According to your sig, you should.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-21-12 02:00 AM
    I agree, iTunes is extremely unfriendly to use and has a particularly ugly interface. Usually Apple offers rather sleek looking interfaces (I am talking look, not UI which is very weak compared to the PlayBook), but iTunes looks atrocious.
    02-21-12 02:35 AM
    nobody likes Itunes...its the consideration nobody thinks of with Apple products.
    Um...please don't speak for me. I used iTunes before I had an Apple product. I like it perfectly fine and it manages an iPod shuffle, 2 iPod touches, and 2 iPhones with different content on all quite nicely, thank you.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    02-21-12 02:55 AM
    Um...please don't speak for me. I used iTunes before I had an Apple product. I like it perfectly fine and it manages an iPod shuffle, 2 iPod touches, and 2 iPhones with different content on all quite nicely, thank you.
    Sent from my brain using Tapatalk
    You are one of the rare people. My brother is one of them too. He use to use itunes to play media (store bought or bootlegged it didn't matter) or burn cds. He wouldn't come out of pocket for nero or roxio and he would always say wmp was way over his head. Lol.
    02-21-12 03:03 AM
    Did you slap yourself after this post? According to your sig, you should.
    Coming from one of the clan-of-trolls that regularly contributes nothing to this site - I find your post ridiculous.

Posting something itunes related in a thread titled "iTunes is Apple's Downfall " is not trolling. It was something that just happened to me and was pertinent to the thread and was an actual deal breaker for the owner of said company. He has hard drives worth of music, for example, that he wanted to utilize on his iphone. Guess what? Cant just drag and drop.

You jeopardy contestants can post all your nonsensical yammering and hyperbole all day long both speculative and purely false and you give yourselves free passes . Someone posts a real experience pertinent to a thread and you call it trolling?
    02-21-12 06:34 AM
    Coming from one of the clan-of-trolls that regularly contributes nothing to this site - I find your post ridiculous.

Posting something itunes related in a thread titled "iTunes is Apple's Downfall " is not trolling. It was something that just happened to me and was pertinent to the thread and was an actual deal breaker for the owner of said company. He has hard drives worth of music, for example, that he wanted to utilize on his iphone. Guess what? Cant just drag and drop.

You jeopardy contestants can post all your nonsensical yammering and hyperbole all day long both speculative and purely false and you give yourselves free passes . Someone posts a real experience pertinent to a thread and you call it trolling?
    Lets analyze that story.
    Thats just a dumb user that has no searching skills or even the remote desire to figure things out, so much for the owner of a control engineer group that cant figure out how to manage an iphone without itunes, thats BS #1. Just for the record I hate itunes with all my power, but just saying that there is no way for drag and drop (because even sh*tty itunes has drag and drop) or to manage such devices without itunes and throwing some bullsh*t story of how a company owner, or even an engineer couldn't figure that out is just pure uninformed trolling. Search please, open your eyes.
    Also, hard drives? really? he wanted to put "hard drives" of music on the iphone. So much for putting "hard drives" worth of music on a device that has no capacity for "hard drives" worth of music. Unless of course, you speak of 10 year old 20GB hard drives. Keep exaggerating, because not even the 64gb version can hold 64gb of music. I wonder where he wanted to drag and drop hard drives of music. And then going by that fact, hard drives worth of music, indicate much more than 20,000 songs, taking the numbers from the fact that i have 7,509 songs for a total of 33gb (not yet a decent modern hard drive, let alone "hard drives" of music), not an easy task to be drag and dropping without the help of a media library or at least a crapload of playlists, thus, that exaggeration of having to manually drag and drop through "hard drives" worth of music is well... an exaggeration.

Concluding, you can drag and drop without itunes. You can manage an iphone without itunes. The iphone has no capacity for "hard drives" of music. An engineer, or even a teenager could have figured out how to not use itunes for that task. Manually handling hard drives of music would take probably more than 3 hours without a media library helper. Captain obvious much...
    Last edited by gbsn; 02-21-12 at 07:37 AM.
    CrackedBarry likes this.
    02-21-12 07:34 AM
    Lets analyze that story.
    Thats just a dumb user that has no searching skills or even the remote desire to figure things out, so much for the owner of a control engineer group that cant figure out how to manage an iphone without itunes, thats BS #1. Just for the record I hate itunes with all my power, but just saying that there is no way for drag and drop (because even sh*tty itunes has drag and drop) or to manage such devices without itunes and throwing some bullsh*t story of how a company owner, or even an engineer couldn't figure that out is just pure uninformed trolling. Search please, open your eyes.
    Also, hard drives? really? he wanted to put "hard drives" of music on the iphone. So much for putting "hard drives" worth of music on a device that has no capacity for "hard drives" worth of music. Unless of course, you speak of 10 year old 20GB hard drives. Keep exaggerating, because not even the 64gb version can hold 64gb of music. I wonder where he wanted to drag and drop hard drives of music. And then going by that fact, hard drives worth of music, indicate around 20,000+ songs, taking the numbers from the fact that i have 7,509 songs for a total of 33gb (not yet a decent modern hard drive, let alone "hard drives" of music), not an easy task to be drag and dropping without the help of a media library or at least a crapload of playlists, thus, that exaggeration of having to manually drag and drop through "hard drives" worth of music is well... an exaggeration.

Concluding, you can drag and drop without itunes. You can manage an iphone without itunes. The iphone has no capacity for "hard drives" of music. An engineer, or even a teenager could have figured out how to not use itunes for that task. Manually handling hard drives of music would probably take probably more than 3 hours without a media library helper. Captain obvious much...
    First off - I could care less if you thinks its BS. Further more - I'm sure he could care even less what you think. He runs a controls engineering firm with 20+ engineers on staff - what do you do for a living? Im sure you are equally as intelligent and successful given you troll and internet forum with a avatar of some chick in a binkini. Nothing says brilliance like S.I. swimsuit models. And as for a dumb user - I LOL'd at that. Like the kid on the short bus calling you stupid. ROFL!

And I never said he wanted to put ALL the music on his iphone - learn to read. He wants to have the ability to go into his server and drag music onto his phone without having itunes installed on every PC where he might be doing this. His carrier rep told him that he must have itunes installed anywhere he wants to manage his media. So to go in with Windows Explorer and drag an album of mp3's to your phone wasnt possible.

So... with that said. The wall of incoherent text that you wrote was largely attributable to your lacking of reading comprehension and critical thinking.
    02-21-12 07:41 AM
    Ding, this one is cooked!
    02-21-12 07:46 AM
86 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD