....Easily SYNC w/ Microsoft Exchange accounts!!

I find it EXTREMELY ridiculous that RIM has yet to make a SEAMLESS way to connect BB devices to Microsoft Exchange server accounts. I know there is a way to do it, but the server has to have some kind of Blackberry software on it to accommodate blackberry devices.

My main argument is that EVEN the iPhone can do it!?! I mean really, RIM??? Apple, the company that, without a SHOUT of a doubt has the BIGGEST competition with microsoft, has the iPhone that connects to a Microsoft exchange account as easy as dialing a phone number!? You would think that a company that produces a phone directed at the 'Business World,' would incorporate such a feature into EVERY blackberry device and not make it limited to software that companies must put on their Exchange servers.

Call me picky, but after i found out my g/f's new Samsung Rouge, a phone that doesn't even fall into the 'Smartphone' category, could connect to exchange servers, it finally just set me off to the point where i had to say something on here.
    09-14-09 07:51 PM
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service is the application you refer to that seamlessly synchronizes the BlackBerry device to the Exchange server. It works. It is flawless. And it is RIM's bread and butter - RIM rocks the corporate world like no-one else and that's how they do it.

But a BlackBerry can connect to Exchange with BIS very easily if all you need is email without synchronizing calendar, tasks, contacts, and notes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 08:54 PM
    Hope this won't grow to flame.

Vib and ring together

09-14-09 09:19 PM
    ^ that's the first thing I thought of.. Vib and ring

09-14-09 09:23 PM
    Im only using BIS and I get my exchange mail just fine.
    09-14-09 10:11 PM
    as long as i get my work email off exchange i dont need my appts and contacts from work. (that way when im not at work i dont have a bunch of work-related items showing)
    my old nokia had it right, it has dual modes. one mode for work and one mode for home
    09-14-09 10:12 PM
    BlackBerry Enterprise Service is the application you refer to that seamlessly synchronizes the BlackBerry device to the Exchange server. It works. It is flawless. And it is RIM's bread and butter - RIM rocks the corporate world like no-one else and that's how they do it.

But a BlackBerry can connect to Exchange with BIS very easily if all you need is email without synchronizing calendar, tasks, contacts, and notes.
    Yes, i that RIM has the BES, and i mentioned it in my first post, just not by name. My point was that, BES costs extra (and i've read that its VERY expensive), while Apple and other companies allow there phones to connect without anything extra. Yes, my exchange email comes through just fine, but the fact that i can't sync my contacts sucks because i just got this phone and had to enter them all manually. Not to mention that i liked the 'push' email on my old Moto Q9c.
    09-15-09 07:15 AM
    Get BlackBerry Professional for Exchange. A single user license is FREE. Does not get cheaper than that. Additional licenses are only $99 per user for life. Still dang cheap. I run BlackBerry Pro on my Exchange server with 5 users. It is stunningly fast and flawless.

09-15-09 07:41 AM
    Hope this won't grow to flame.

Vib and ring together

I have more faith in our community than that! And if not I can always break out the "mod stick!"
    09-15-09 07:55 AM
    Get BlackBerry Professional for Exchange. A single user license is FREE. Does not get cheaper than that. Additional licenses are only $99 per user for life. Still dang cheap. I run BlackBerry Pro on my Exchange server with 5 users. It is stunningly fast and flawless.

Yeah, but isn't that something you have to install on the exchange server?? i don't have access to my exchange server, as i am a student and my university wouldn't allow me to install that on the server just for me.

You guys know any other ways to get my exchange account on my phone??
    09-15-09 09:40 AM
    Yes BB Pro does need to be installed on the Exchange server, did not know your specifics, assumed you were in a business environ. Sorry.

You could always ask if it is possible. They may surprise you and do it, otherwise they may already have BES for faculty and staff; you may be able to self-purchase a license and be added to the BES. Wild shots, but strangers things have happened.

iPhone uses Microsoft Active Sync to connect to Exchange, and as I read it, sure looks like a less than perfect solution (less secure than BES). I do not think this is possbile with BB, however there is AstraSync you could try. https://www.astrasync.com/ I have no idea what it costs or such, but looks promising and it is a client side app, so the Exchange admins will not have to do anything. Also says it syncs contacts and such.
    09-15-09 11:10 AM

Can you please tell me how this is done? I'm really curious and I didn't know you could do this...
    09-15-09 11:40 AM
    No vibrate and ring really annoys me, especially since none of the programs out to fix it work perfectly.
    09-15-09 11:42 AM
    Im only using BIS and I get my exchange mail just fine.
    Ditto

10Char
    09-15-09 11:45 AM
    you need your Outlook Web Access URL and user id & pw. From there, go to your BIS account online and once logged in, you can add a new email address. It's really quite easy. Just be forewarned, if you're coming from WinMO or any other mobile device that uses Exchange Active Sync, the mail won't come immediately, BIS polls the server every 15 mins or something like that, so there will be a delay. Regardless, if you want your exchange email on your berry, this is a great way to go.
    09-15-09 11:48 AM
    I don't think the issue is getting e-mails on your blackberry, its just being able to completely sync with exchange, your -emails calendar and contacts.
    09-15-09 11:52 AM
    if that's the case, try google sync.. that works real well.. only prob with gsync is that it doesn't handle PINs in the address book.. really annoying problem, esp when you have lots of pin numbers you have to manually re-enter
    09-15-09 11:55 AM
    if that's the case, try google sync.. that works real well.. only prob with gsync is that it doesn't handle PINs in the address book.. really annoying problem, esp when you have lots of pin numbers you have to manually re-enter
    Google Sync does well for contacts, if you also don't mind not sync'ing the birthday.

It does not work well for Calendar items. In fact, it sucks bad for calendar sync. I stopped using Google Sync (for calendar) because on occasion is doesn't sync an event, it never syncs recurrence, and in some cases when I have adjacent events, it decides on it's own to move one of the events to another day. Then you have the ever present chance of it duplicating events.

The only solution I've found for Calendar syncing to GMail is GooSync. GooSync requires a third party app (SyncJe) that costs U.S. $40. GooSync is free if you only want to sync one calendar, otherwise it costs too.

None of which helps the OP (who wanted to sync with Exchange). But my rant is lack of a cohesive solution for BIS users.
    Last edited by Hoochie-Coo; 09-15-09 at 01:28 PM.
    09-15-09 01:25 PM
    I dont mind entering the PIN's, but is there a way to connect Google sync with my exchange account so that i can then connect my BB with G-sync?? I just really wanna get my contacts back in my phone right. I tried to sync earlier with my comp today and i have Double entries now.....is there a way to clear the entire address book all at once???
    09-15-09 03:37 PM
    AstraSync. 50 a year. Works with ActiveSync.

Yes. I agree with the OP. BES is OK, not "great." ActiveSync is a better solution than BES. Full folder support, inbox, outbox, you have the ability to choose which folders to sync. Etc...

Really wish it would support it for BIS users.

09-15-09 03:46 PM
    ^ that's the first thing I thought of.. Vib and ring

Vibe and ring is in the 5.0 OS, and can be deactivated/activated for individual contacts, and you can change the number of vibes (1-10) and the length of vibes (short, medium, long) so yeah...at least we get this

EDIT: Oh and you can have the vibe only work out of holster, only in holster, or at all times. And like most everything else it is completely customizable from profile to profile (Loud, Normal etc) and in different areas of the profile (SMS, MMS, Phone...etc)
    Last edited by evilhunter101; 09-15-09 at 04:09 PM.
    09-15-09 04:05 PM
    Yes, i that RIM has the BES, and i mentioned it in my first post, just not by name. My point was that, BES costs extra (and i've read that its VERY expensive), while Apple and other companies allow there phones to connect without anything extra. Yes, my exchange email comes through just fine, but the fact that i can't sync my contacts sucks because i just got this phone and had to enter them all manually. Not to mention that i liked the 'push' email on my old Moto Q9c.

i hate to be the barer of bad news, but u didnt have to enter them all manually. u can sync a non BES phone (a BIS phone) with your outlook contacts just fine... its not automatic. but it works. u can also sync your calendar. again, not automatically, but it works
    09-15-09 05:03 PM
    I have to agree with the original post. I want a blackberry but the problems and extra hoops to try and get everything to sync with my MES has prevented it. If apple can do it seamlessly & FREE, there is no reason RIMM can't.
    09-18-09 10:43 PM
    I have to agree with the original post. I want a blackberry but the problems and extra hoops to try and get everything to sync with my MES has prevented it. If apple can do it seamlessly & FREE, there is no reason RIMM can't.
    The iPhone isn't Apple's bread and butter income. The Blackberry and BES is RIM's main income so if they give away their main source of income and allow everyone to sync to exchange for free where would their income come from? Where would the R&D money come from to develop new Blackberry phones?

RIM is a commercial organisation, not a charity, so I'm pretty sure they'll look to protect their main income source.

09-19-09 08:10 AM
    I have more faith in our community than that! And if not I can always break out the "mod stick!"
    and the man ain't afraid to use it either, sooooooooooo....
    09-19-09 10:19 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD