Get a Unihertz Titan, it has Pie(9) and they committed to it getting 10 (time will tell)

Maybe Unihertz will try and license some of BB IP and do a Titan Lite vs. Rugged
    LMAO - I’m not sure I’d believe any promises until the one is first kept. Once the first OS update is received, it’s believable. Until then.....
    02-03-20 10:02 AM
    Oh boy. So now can we close all those threads saying BBMo isn't done yet?
    Sadly... that kinds puts an end on a lot of conversations around here. (BBMo, KEY3, PIE..... future)
    02-03-20 10:05 AM
    Sadly... that kinds puts an end on a lot of conversations around here. (BBMo, KEY3, PIE..... future)
    My best guess is that the future part will still be discussed...
    02-03-20 10:06 AM
    My best guess is that the future part will still be discussed...
    Ya. BlackBerry should just pick one of the many other OEMs pining at their door for the next licence.
    bb624 likes this.
    02-03-20 10:07 AM
    Ya. BlackBerry should just pick one of the many other OEMs pining at their door for the next licence.
    They are lining up already from what I heard!
    skrble and bb624 like this.
    02-03-20 10:14 AM
    Actually surprising they made this statement....

I'll be surprised if current inventory last till August.
    I think BlackBerry may have forced their hand by terminating the contract for cause. They would rather control the message.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    PantherBlitz and rarsen like this.
    02-03-20 10:18 AM
    I think BlackBerry may have forced their hand by terminating the contract for cause. They would rather control the message.

I think this was kinda like a couple getting a divorce.... they both split ways early last year, but it took some time to work out the details.

BBMo and the other licensee didn't live up to the volume levels necessary to make this viable for BlackBerry Ltd. They pretty much shut it all down - Android Secure, Device Apps, most all the Mobility management and sales teams.
    02-03-20 10:24 AM
    Oh boy.... But the writing was on the wall...in big, bright, flashing red letters.

I'd be interested in a kind of 'what does that mean' article. Like can there be other licencees of Blackberry etc.

I know a lot of us here (not me) already have a clear picture about that - but it would be a nice informational article @Bla1ze
    02-03-20 10:26 AM
    LMAO - I’m not sure I’d believe any promises until the one is first kept. Once the first OS update is received, it’s believable. Until then.....
    I received my Titan on Jan 2nd and a week or two later there was an OS update to fix a few keyboard issues. On their Facebook page, they have acknowledged a few other bugs and have advised there will be another update soon, but I expect it could be delayed because of the CNY holidays and now the coronavirus.
    kristofszucs and allwi like this.
    02-03-20 10:26 AM
    Hopefully another company will pick up a contract. In case that happens will they be able to offer a BlackBerry Key 3 or it will be a new design from scratch? I was sooo looking forward to get the Key 3
    ljohnson17 likes this.
    02-03-20 10:27 AM
    Oh boy.... But the writing was on the wall...in big, bright, flashing red letters.

I'd be interested in a kind of 'what does that mean' article. Like can there be other licencees of Blackberry etc.

I know a lot of us here (not me) already have a clear picture about that - but it would be a nice informational article @Bla1ze
    Can or will ? Possibilities and Probabilities are similar and yet so different.... :-(
    02-03-20 10:27 AM
    All the things that have drawn me to and satisfied me about BlackBerry have already been gone for years:

-- User-centered design with innovative UI
    -- Bullet-proof devices that could survive being thrown from a moving vehicle
    -- multi-day battery life
    -- Full desktop capabilities for core communication and PIM functions.
    -- focus on email/contacts/calendar/task-based workflows, with tightly integrated BlackBerry apps
    -- clean, monochrome work environment

So much of what I valued has been lost over the years. I loved the PKB back in 2004, but now I would only want it in a small, classic-sized device. The fact that the PKB is practically all that's left as "BlackBerry" in many people's minds is the only thing that saddens me.

Drenis likes this.
    02-03-20 10:29 AM
    All the things that have drawn me to and satisfied me about BlackBerry have already been gone for years:

-- User-centered design with innovative UI
    -- Bullet-proof devices that could survive being thrown from a moving vehicle
    -- multi-day battery life
    -- Full desktop capabilities for core communication and PIM functions.
    -- focus on email/contacts/calendar/task-based workflows, with tightly integrated BlackBerry apps
    -- clean, monochrome work environment

So much of what I valued has been lost over the years. I loved the PKB back in 2004, but now I would only want it in a small, classic-sized device. The fact that the PKB is practically all that's left as "BlackBerry" in many people's minds is the only thing that saddens me.

"Multi-day battery life"

Says the one using a Z10
    02-03-20 10:31 AM
    It is indeed sad, but not unexpected.

Myself, as of Thursday of last week, that was the first day in well over 20 years that I no longer have any BB device on my hip. My KeyOne had it's battery start to swell, and while I have a new battery and back cover, I truly felt it was time to move on.

It will, however, live in my heart and memory..
    02-03-20 10:34 AM
    There was a key2 dualsim device on sale in a shop around for 350 EUR as a "left over". Glad not to have picked it up. But what will happen to the BB apps? They are the only reason to have an android device for me...
    Sporkguy3 likes this.
    02-03-20 10:34 AM
    There was a key2 dualsim device on sale in a shop around for 350 EUR as a "left over". Glad not to have picked it up. But what will happen to the BB apps? They are the only reason to have an android device for me...
    Excellent question as I have the apps on both my S9 an S10+ - but I haven't seen any update for those in months...
    02-03-20 10:37 AM
    You can use cobalt, enjoy them for free, or you could subscribe from playstore to support them.
    02-03-20 10:37 AM
    "Multi-day battery life"

Says the one using a Z10
    Exactly, because the only way to get continuous multi-day use on a phone these days without being tethered to a brick or outlet is with replaceable batteries. In a normal day, when I have access to an outlet, I can keep an extra battery fully charged. On a three to five-day hike or sailing trip I can take a waterproof bag of extra batteries that weighs a few ounces and never worry about my phone dying.

The only reason battery life matters so much to most people is that they can't instantly recharge to 100% like I can.

02-03-20 10:38 AM

Bla1ze would need someone at BlackBerry to sit down and talk with him - officially or unofficially.

I think BlackBerry Android Secure has been shelved....
    I think the BlackBerry name is too valuable to the software company to allow it to be used - on unsecured hardware.
    I think even the App Suite isn't a viable product and will be EOL once Android 11 hits the market.

Leaving some BlackBerry designs for PKB phones to be the only thing that might could be offered to an OEM. But I don't think Unihertz has the volume to even make it worth BlackBerry's time. And that's really the core issue, if the product isn't in demand or wanted by enough of a market.... what's the point in licencing it. I'd love to see Samsung do a Galaxy KEY, but I don't see how it would benefit Samsung. It's easy to say it would sell millions, it's another when there is not data that supports that theory.
    Bla1ze and John Albert like this.
    02-03-20 10:39 AM
    Exactly, because the only way to get continuous multi-day use on a phone these days without being tethered to a brick or outlet is with replaceable batteries. In a normal day, when I have access to an outlet, I can keep an extra battery fully charged. On a three to five-day hike or sailing trip I can take a waterproof bag of extra batteries that weighs a few ounces and never worry about my phone dying.

The only reason battery life matters so much to most people is that they can't instantly recharge to 100% like I can.

Or, you can have a device that has a big enough battery and good battery optimization, the latter being something BB10 was never really good at
    02-03-20 10:39 AM
    Should all be in this one last...devastating article.

Damn.. I'll fire up my P9983 - just because!
    Can or will ? Possibilities and Probabilities are similar and yet so different.... :-(
    02-03-20 10:40 AM
    It is indeed sad, but not unexpected.

Myself, as of Thursday of last week, that was the first day in well over 20 years that I no longer have any BB device on my hip. My KeyOne had it's battery start to swell, and while I have a new battery and back cover, I truly felt it was time to move on.

It will, however, live in my heart and memory..
    It would take a whole lot more than a bulging battery to get me to leave my KEY phone lol
    tnewton3 and SonyainTx like this.
    "What made these devices great wasn't just the hardware developed and manufactured by TCL" (You mean mediocre internals, pops-out screen, gsm & bluetooth reception issues, wobbly spacebar??), "But also critical security and software features' ... (secure enough not to let users put custom loader so that they can install newest aosp based android 9/10/higher. They stuck with whatever outdated software you were dropped).
    I guess it's time for more "I will keep using my key for xxx years, it will be alright as long as bla-bla-bla" like threads
    the_boon and BBeast like this.
    It would take a whole lot more than a bulging battery to get me to leave my KEY phone lol
    Well, the thought of an explosion entered my mind, but f the apps and OS had been updated, I would have replaced the battery and cover....
    02-03-20 10:41 AM
    "What made these devices great wasn't just the hardware developed and manufactured by TCL" (You mean mediocre internals, pops-out screen, gsm & bluetooth reception issues, wobbly spacebar??), "But also critical security and software features' ... (secure enough not to let users put custom loader so that they can install newest aosp based android 9/10/higher. They stuck with whatever outdated software you were dropped).
    I guess it's time for more "I will keep using my key for xxx years, it will be alright as long as bla-bla-bla" like threads
    You do have a point lol, but the one thing that got me the most was the "we hope you will continue to support us both (TCL and BlackBerry) as we move on"

Lol, no TCL, I will NOT support your Plex slabs, and BlackBerry, if you don't make a phone, I don't see how I could support you either
    chain13, Bob80220, falbo and 2 others like this.
    02-03-20 10:42 AM
664 1234 ...