.......But again this is rim taking a step not a network.........
    You're right.....Verizon will probably find a way to block flash content on their phones/BBs/etc.....
    10-05-09 10:53 AM
    The potential of expanding our mobile world would make life that much easier. I know this would be the cat's meow in so many ways.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-09 10:56 AM
    Will this work only on future devices or will current ones such as the Tour (and soon to be Storm 2) just need a firmware/OS update?
    I would like to know the answer to this too?
    10-05-09 11:30 AM
    I have a 8130 pearl will I just have to get a system update? And does anyone one know exactly when flash will be available?
    10-05-09 12:11 PM
    You're right.....Verizon will probably find a way to block flash content on their phones/BBs/etc.....
    I dunno about them blocking it. Them taking forever to approve the update to be released. Yeah probably. Or possibly them charging more for the premium bb unlimited package to cover the network overload. yeah possibly.

I have a 8130 pearl will I just have to get a system update? And does anyone one know exactly when flash will be available?
    No one really knows what verizon/Altel has plans for with older devices I would bet that there will be no support for older devices. It will most likely be if your device is 5.0 compatable they will attempt to roll out the flash abilities
    10-05-09 12:22 PM
    I think bb finally having flash support is great, but what making it even better is a better browser to go with it instead of having to download a third party browser. And question, will skyfire allow full flash support? If so, that will cover the older bbs won't it like the 83XX series won't it?

10-05-09 01:27 PM
    I'll believe it when I see it. Just look at how long it's taking RIM to give us something as simple as threaded SMS. Flash? My prediction is that we won't see it before Blackberry runs out of 4-digit model numbers (seriously how close can we get to 10,000 before they decide to scrap that naming scheme?).
    10-05-09 03:06 PM
    I'll believe it when I see it. Just look at how long it's taking RIM to give us something as simple as threaded SMS. Flash? My prediction is that we won't see it before Blackberry runs out of 4-digit model numbers (seriously how close can we get to 10,000 before they decide to scrap that naming scheme?).
    They're just model numbers not names, who gives a crap? They've got real names, but the model numbers help differentiate stuff like CDMA vs GSM and newer models with more features.
    10-05-09 03:27 PM
    I think the only time that a provider will charge for Wifi is when you can actually make a call over the Wifi. If it is just for data then I believe they don't charge for it.
    This may very well be a horrible mistake for Apple, and a major opportunity for Android and Blackberry to pull ahead.
    Someone in the Odin forum commented to watch out for Android since this is looking like a real driven competitor. It's still in it's infancy, but I think they had a very good point.
    It's great to hear flash support is coming, but more needs to be done to get ahead of Apple. Also, it sounds like there may be a hardware issue to use the flash, so I really hope I'm wrong on this because I was looking to get the Storm2 when it is released.

After seeing all that my friends' iPhones can do, I don't think the Apple OS needs flash support. iPhones are able to view PDF's and videos on the web without issue. That Safari browser kicks ****! If you haven't really checked out the iPhone, I suggest you do because there is a lot that RIM needs to do to catch up. That's what disappoints me most especially when my Storm can't do half the stuff the iPhone can. Unless we all including RIM really see and admit where Blackberries fall short, it'll never be able to catch up or even surpass the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, but I think the Storm is a superior piece of hardware. However, hardware is only as good as the software that supports it. Ie. iPhone. Hahaha! If all of us end users make enough noise, I'm sure RIM will take notice.
    10-05-09 05:31 PM
    Sweeeeet. Glad to hear that. Its about time.
    10-05-09 05:43 PM
    Great post man thanks for that info, this will benefit greatly to all us blackberry power users

10-05-09 08:11 PM
    Finally!! Crossing my fingers to get it soon
    10-05-09 08:24 PM
    Thank you for the wonderful news!
    10-05-09 08:53 PM
    this would be awesome!
    10-05-09 09:28 PM
    It's great to hear flash support is coming, but more needs to be done to get ahead of Apple. Also, it sounds like there may be a hardware issue to use the flash, so I really hope I'm wrong on this because I was looking to get the Storm2 when it is released.

After seeing all that my friends' iPhones can do, I don't think the Apple OS needs flash support. iPhones are able to view PDF's and videos on the web without issue. That Safari browser kicks ****! If you haven't really checked out the iPhone, I suggest you do because there is a lot that RIM needs to do to catch up. That's what disappoints me most especially when my Storm can't do half the stuff the iPhone can. Unless we all including RIM really see and admit where Blackberries fall short, it'll never be able to catch up or even surpass the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, but I think the Storm is a superior piece of hardware. However, hardware is only as good as the software that supports it. Ie. iPhone. Hahaha! If all of us end users make enough noise, I'm sure RIM will take notice.
    OK, I'll admit I'm somewhat of a novice here but I'm very confused about your post. You state that your friends can do so much more with the iPhone than you can with the BB. My 25 year old daughter has an iPhone and I have a simple BB. We have compared native features and other than the web browsing I don't see anything that she can do on the iPhone that I can't do on the BB. And even there, I can browse, but I will freely admit the iPhone is much better at it than the BB. So I guess I'll remain confused unless you would like to post some concrete examples that I am unaware of where the iPhone can do something the BB can't? BTW, this isn't a dig either way, I am being open and honest here, but I am not looking for "well the iPhone does it better" as that is a matter of preference, not capability. I will look forward to your response and enlightenment.
    10-05-09 10:28 PM
    not sure if im excited for it, to have advertisments load .. but other then that might be cool
    10-05-09 11:05 PM
    i wanna finally be able to play Farmville on my BB hopefully...i'm addicted to it on Facebook
    10-05-09 11:07 PM
    This will indeed be very cool as well as needed. I hate when I get that screen and cannot view the video, or whateva im trying to see
    10-05-09 11:59 PM
    OK, I'll admit I'm somewhat of a novice here but I'm very confused about your post. You state that your friends can do so much more with the iPhone than you can with the BB. My 25 year old daughter has an iPhone and I have a simple BB. We have compared native features and other than the web browsing I don't see anything that she can do on the iPhone that I can't do on the BB. And even there, I can browse, but I will freely admit the iPhone is much better at it than the BB. So I guess I'll remain confused unless you would like to post some concrete examples that I am unaware of where the iPhone can do something the BB can't? BTW, this isn't a dig either way, I am being open and honest here, but I am not looking for "well the iPhone does it better" as that is a matter of preference, not capability. I will look forward to your response and enlightenment.
    You hit the nail on the head. While the BB OS won't do the same things as flashy as the iPhone, with OS 5.0, we are able to all the functions of an iPhone. I personally see the iPhone only having a leg up on number of apps (since Apple has had a 2 year lead on their store), and the 3D graphics, currently. Neither of which RIM can't eventually match.

If you download Opera Mini 5 beta, I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality and speed of browsing that's available to a BB now. Granted, it's not native, but the iPhone relies heavily on the extra apps to make it the device it is, so it's fair game. I've got tabbed browsing, loads full websites in a few seconds at most, intelligent zooming, copy/paste, etc, etc.

If Flash 10.1 is as efficient as they claim, and BBs start upping their hardware a bit, I foresee Apple losing that app advantage. There are a massive number of Flash games online for free. Anyone can create a Flash game and post it online without having to submit it for approval at an App Store first. You can play as many games as you want, as there's really nothing to install, so no memory room to take up (maybe a saved game file here or there for games that support that).

This is really the only reason Apple is staying off of the list. Free Flash games and web apps will seriously undermine their controlled App Store and their bottom line.
    Last edited by Zipster; 10-06-09 at 01:18 AM.
    10-06-09 01:15 AM
    Will this enable devices on EDGE networks to stream youtube videos. As of right now only EV-DO can stream youtube videos.
    10-07-09 10:05 AM
    yep. and someone will find a way around it. love it!
    10-07-09 02:35 PM
    I am not going to hold my breath on waiting on this. RIM has disappointed me so much since moving into the consumer area. As a corporate device the BB is way ahead of any phone out there. For the consumer side they are like the wannabe kid on the playground right now. Dont get me wrong with the above statement as I like my BB but I am sure it will be my last BB for a while and I will move to another platform like Android....

I am tired of the buggy half a$$ attempts RIM does on fixing their OS and I am really tired of waiting for VZW to actually approve an OS. I am not saying other Carriers are better than VZW in releasing an OS but I think they should leave this to RIM and let them release updates like Apple does for the iPhone. I think we would see faster changes and enhancements no matter what the argument is brought up.

RIM makes BES and BIS servers they also make the OS for the device dont you think they can make it all work on GSM and CDMA networks alike without the carriers saying no to this and no to that. Let the OS be managed and maintained by the vendor not the carrier. MS does not let Dell release their SPs for the equipment they sell.

I would love to see Flash on my BB but I really dont see it in my immediate future. I see other devices like Android based devices taking the place of the BB for consumers very quickly.
    10-07-09 05:41 PM
    cant wait...
    10-07-09 06:32 PM
    Yes finally!!! I can't wait!

10-08-09 12:03 AM
    At first I was excited. Then reality kicked in. Save the excitement for another day, because unless the heavy lifting (rendering) is done on outside servers like how Opera does it, there is NO WAY IN (hot place where bad people go) the blackberry as is could do this.

This IS good news, but for the future, with a better device, and a web kit browser maybe.

Still, it's about freakin time!
    My thoughts exactly. I wonder how much slower browsing will be? I might add that it wouldn't surprise me if VZW figured out another way to either lock that feature down to prevent the increased bandwidth or at the very least charge more for the unlimited data that really isn't unlimited.
    10-08-09 07:48 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD