It's not you, Android, it's me-img_00000021.jpg

If you want a prime example of how fickle I am when it comes to technology, here it is: I have downgraded from a beautiful, big, shiny Android phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) to my old, slow, not-so-shiny BlackBerry (Curve 8530).

I wouldn't hold it against you if you think I've gone mental. But here's where I'm coming from.

A few posts ago I was citing the fact that I had the Galaxy Nexus to justify getting a BlackBerry PlayBook in spite of its slim selection of apps. Whatever apps I couldn't get on the PlayBook, I'd make up for with my fancy Android phone.

But something happened in the couple weeks I've had my PlayBook. I've enjoyed using it so much, even without a vast library of apps, that I reevaluated how I used the Galaxy Nexus. I came to the conclusion that, of the 150+ apps I had installed on the thing, I was using only a handful on a regular basis. With the exception of the Netflix app, I was using the phone primarily for communication and productivity, not content consumption.

Android and iOS devices seem to be designed, first and foremost, for content consumption (Google Play and iTunes). There's nothing wrong with this, especially if that's what you're looking for in a mobile device. However, the actual communication aspects of those devices - the way you use and interact with your email, social networks, text messages, contacts, etc. - seem to be an afterthought.

Integration with Google apps and services on my Galaxy Nexus was great, but I'm not fully invested in the Google ecosystem and don't use all of its services. In fact, I'd say I use Microsoft services (SkyDrive, Outlook.com) more than Google's on a daily basis.

Google Now was a novelty to me. When I remembered I even had it, it was fun to see what cards were there, but most of the time I'd just clear any notifications and ignore it. It was interesting, but not particularly useful to me.

If you're heavily invested in the Google ecosystem and take advantage of everything it has to offer, it makes sense to have an Android device. For people like me who are pretty eclectic when it comes to the technology we use, we probably don't need or enjoy the Android experience as much as others.

Another point that factored into my decision to part ways with Android is that, in addition to being content consumption devices, Android phones are designed to be information collection devices. Specifically, information about you. Your browsing habits, location, voice, the apps you use, map searches, shopping, search history - basically any and every way you interact with your Android phone is recorded by Google with the primary purpose of feeding you targeted advertising - Google's bread and butter, and still their biggest moneymaker.

Fundamentally, what Google really sells is you. It sells you to those who want to advertise their products and services to you. For some, this is a welcome thing. Who wouldn't want a company to know everything it possibly can about you so that it can directly advertise products and services that might actually benefit you? Well...actually...some of us don't.

I'm not saying that Google is gathering this information for nefarious purposes...but the point is the information is there, and there would be some pretty nasty consequences if it ever got into the wrong hands.

I felt this way when I got my Galaxy Nexus, but I was able to conveniently ignore my nagging conscience by distracting myself with an awesome device that can do some pretty great things. Well, my conscience is still nagging, and after nearly a year of using Android, I think there are other, better options out there for me.

The iPhone is not one of them. A great phone, to be sure, but the novelty has worn off for me. Toggling back and forth between home screens and apps is tedious and inefficient for the way I want to work. There's no true multitasking, and switching back and forth between apps is not very fluid, depending on the apps you're using and their demands on the OS. Notifications are an absolute joke compared to Android or even my ancient BlackBerry Curve. The app library is still second to none, but apps aren't everything to me. I look at the overall experience, and I find the iPhone lacking in many ways for the things I want to do. I also think it's overpriced for what you get compared to other options out there today.

I'm still looking at Windows Phone, particularly the Nokia Lumia 920, which is widely regarded the flagship Windows Phone out there today. I'm particularly interested in the integration with the Microsoft services I prefer to use over Google's, but the OS design and functionality is intriguing to me. The metro UI looks great and intuitive, and I'm eager to try out some floor models, soon.

My first choice (for now) is BlackBerry. They've got a new OS and new devices and, after being stagnant for a few years, they have made some drastic changes and really seem to be trying to move in the right direction.

BlackBerry has prided itself on creating devices that are built around communication first. Even my old Curve is a joy to use when it comes to emails, texts, & social media. No toggling in and out of apps and home screens or flipping through app switchers. The new BB10 OS supports true, fluid multitasking. Run multiple apps at the same time and seamlessly go back and forth between them without having to freeze them or lose functionality.

The "Hub" feature in BB10 allows you quick access to all your communications without having to navigate home screens, notification windows, or toggle between apps.

Bridge is another feature that allows you to link a BB phone with the PlayBook via Bluetooth and manage your contacts and communications on your phone from the tablet. You can also use your phone to remotely control your PlayBook, and even browse the web on your tablet via your phone's data connection. I am able to enjoy all of these Bridge features even on an older BlackBerry phone.

And for the love of Pete, why is there not a "phone calls only" feature built into iOS or Android?! Why must I use a third party app to do what my ancient BlackBerry running BB OS 5 can do out of the box?

I suppose I'm also to the point now where I want to root for the underdogs. iPhones and Android phones are so pervasive, these days. I'd like to try to support some outside players trying to make a dent in their market shares by bringing new and different smartphone experiences to the table. I guess I've never really been one to follow the crowd.

It's not you, Android, it's me. I'm fickle, and I'm too demanding when it comes to what I want from my technology. You're a great platform in your own right, but I just don't make full use of you and I think you're better suited to different tastes. I'll have fond memories. Like the first time I tried using Google Wallet to make a purchase at vending machine. Or those great panoramic photos I took with you. Maybe BlackBerry will be better for me. Or maybe I just got bored. Either way, it's time to move on.
    Last edited by Newfangled; 05-31-13 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
    05-31-13 06:10 PM
    holy post batman.... lol
    05-31-13 06:31 PM
    Nice post. I think it hits some points that most of us (who are on these tech sites all the time) might not think about the same way. It really is about how each person uses their device. It really doesn't matter if it has the biggest and newest processor, latest OS, or the most apps. What really matters is the user experience that you personally have. Does the phone meet your needs? Does it have the apps you use? Do you like the way notifications are displayed? Why use a device that doesn't fit with what you want to do with it?
    05-31-13 06:41 PM
    you finally ran out of ink!! great read tough.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    ekv and anon(6038817) like this.
    05-31-13 06:57 PM
    I've always felt the same, I've stayed true to my sweet BlackBerry Bold 9900 through continuous ribbing. Now I'm rocking the awesome BlackBerry Z10 and I'm only slightly missing my 9900 form factor. No regrets

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-31-13 07:04 PM
    Great post and a lot of very valid points...

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 07:06 PM
    I can relate.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 07:52 PM
    I think you've touched on why I don't invest a lot into apps, or why apps aren't a huge deal for me. I primarily use my phone for communication, be it through email, SMS, twitter, facebook or whatever. I left Windows Phone 7 because the twitter experience was, I felt, sub par. I don't know what it's like with Windows Phone 8, but after looking at what the Z10 offered, I felt the experience was superior. I like the way the notifications are baked into the OS and I like the fluidity of switching between browser and communication, and not have one thing paused.

Each phone I've used has met my needs (iOS, WP7 and now BB10), but my Z10 feels ideal. Of course, the proof of a pudding is in the eating, so I guess I'll see in a couple years when my contract expires as to whether I'm a long term BB user
    05-31-13 08:19 PM
    Thank you for your post, some deep thoughts, they should post it on the main page of crackberry, it's worth reading and sharing.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 08:33 PM
    Dear OP. Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 09:05 PM
    Good and thoughtful post OP.

Enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for making the effort.

Posted from my Z10 via C10
    05-31-13 09:12 PM
    Thanks for the post OP. I have a couple issues with Google that usually steer me away from their products...when I can, my work uses Google so I have no choice there. Google collects too much data on me for my own comfort. But the bigger issue for me is their tax evasion. Google used grants from NSF to get launched. Tax payer funded start up funds in the millions that allowed them to take their idea and make it a reality. Now they hide their profits overseas to avoid paying taxes in the states. I cannot respect that. I buy their products for the kids and my GF but I avoid the products myself. I'm not saying anyone has to agree with me. But as someone who works in research and respects the public funding available to further our country and world...i just can't respect the abuse of that system. Soap box moment is done.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 09:24 PM
    Love the title of this haha!

Posted via CB10
    06-01-13 12:32 AM
    Im real happy for you,Im gonna let you finish but there is a thread for these coming back storys.Welcome back to the darkside.Sell that nexus and get a bb10 device.The hub maybe the greatest inbox of all times.
    06-01-13 12:24 PM
    EPIC POST!!!
    Love the avatar as well since it FULLY explains where you're coming from!

I must admit I think THIS post is THE post of the month, nah the QTR, Bravo!

Of particular interest ...
    Another point that factored into my decision to part ways with Android is that, in addition to being content consumption devices, Android phones are designed to be information collection devices. Specifically, information about you. Your browsing habits, location, voice, the apps you use, map searches, shopping, search history - basically any and every way you interact with your Android phone is recorded by Google with the primary purpose of feeding you targeted advertising - Google's bread and butter, and still their biggest moneymaker.
    ^ The key thing going forward for ALL of us on the internet across the world is to get Google to pay US! Having them just take your data without your permission, nor even paying you for it is internet slavery! Yes they augmented notifications and rules and such but LONG after the fact of collecting and selling YOU (not just your data but YOU). Reminds me of that BSG Caprica show where Zoe Graystone in the Cylon body explains to her father what is data vs the soul. very interesting concept in basic terms & in-depth.
    06-01-13 01:25 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

It's interesting. I've been using the old Curve exclusively for a week now, and already I can tell a huge improvement as far as how efficiently I'm able to check and respond to emails, texts, etc.

I spend less time looking at my phone and more time keeping my attention where it needs to be.

I think much of it has to do with the physical keyboard. I know the Z10's virtual keyboard is amazing and I'm sure I'd be able to make good use of it, but there is just something about having a physical keyboard - the tactile feedback maybe - that makes me so much more confident.

Maybe it's because I know that when I press a certain key on a physical keybaord, I know I will get the expected result every time. Whereas on a virtual keyboard I'm constantly backspacing and correcting and there's really no physical feedback that allows my fingers to orient themselves.

I'm 90% sure I'm getting a Q10.
    fkornre likes this.
    06-02-13 02:31 PM
    That's what I try to always explain to everyone when they ask why I got a second BlackBerry for personal use
    . I'll just forward this post to them instead of telling them.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-13 06:35 PM
    Isn't it also amazing , how efficiently BB's handle data ?
    06-03-13 01:59 AM
    Yep. Whatever fits best. I definitely see patterns in device preference among my friends and family. The ones that are 100% tied to Google use Androids and probably should. The ones that are really into photos and social apps tend to have iPhones.

And the ones that are on my Verizon phone plan all use BlackBerrys because I make them. Lol.
    06-03-13 02:36 AM
    Best post I have read in quite some time. Thanks for the loooooooooong breath of fresh air.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 03:08 AM
    Was it a Google Galaxy Nexus, or a Samsung Pretend Galaxy Nexus?

It's rather easy to tell the difference, just check on the back and see if it says "Google" below the camera. If it does, than it is a real Galaxy Nexus, and I might be interested in buying it off you if you want to sell it.

If you see carrier branding where "Google" should be, than yeah that phone is horrible, lol I'd take a Storm 2 over a Samsung Galaxy Nexus any day. Worst phone I've ever owned was the Pnex.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    06-03-13 10:54 AM
    Was it a Google Galaxy Nexus, or a Samsung Pretend Galaxy Nexus?

It's rather easy to tell the difference, just check on the back and see if it says "Google" below the camera. If it does, than it is a real Galaxy Nexus, and I might be interested in buying it off you if you want to sell it.

If you see carrier branding where "Google" should be, than yeah that phone is horrible, lol I'd take a Storm 2 over a Samsung Galaxy Nexus any day. Worst phone I've ever owned was the Pnex.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    I bought it factory unlocked straight from Google. A great phone, but not for me.

And sorry, I sold it on eBay this weekend.

Q10, here I come!
    06-03-13 12:23 PM
    I bought it factory unlocked straight from Google. A great phone, but not for me.

And sorry, I sold it on eBay this weekend.

Q10, here I come!
    Pics or it never happened.
    06-03-13 03:09 PM
    At this point I'm planning to get a Q10 on T-Mobile.

I'd love to go with Verizon, but I can't justify paying $100+ a month for a plan, even if they do have the best network.
    06-03-13 04:58 PM
    Did you not read the original post? There's a big picture.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-13 05:11 PM
33 12