This guy who made an offer for Blackberry didn't become wealthy by accident. Those who think Blackberry is going to continue as it has always has are gonna be mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised if Blackberry stops making handsets altogether and focused solely on the business end of software. As much as I liked to hope that it can reinvent itself I have to be a realist. This guy didn't make an offer for Blackberry because of some obligation he feels to help a Canadian company, he made an offer to make money pure and simple.
    Blackberry is guilty of many things but the biggest is hubris. They dismissed the touchscreen as a fad and their competitors blew past them.
    I'm a Blackberry user but I don't know for how much longer.
    09-23-13 09:19 PM
    This guy who made an offer for Blackberry didn't become wealthy by accident. Those who think Blackberry is going to continue as it has always has are gonna be mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised if Blackberry stops making handsets altogether and focused solely on the business end of software. As much as I liked to hope that it can reinvent itself I have to be a realist. This guy didn't make an offer for Blackberry because of some obligation he feels to help a Canadian company, he made an offer to make money pure and simple.
    Blackberry is guilty of many things but the biggest is hubris. They dismissed the touchscreen as a fad and their competitors blew past them.
    You know as much as anyone else here in the forum about the future of Blackberry, which is nothing.
    jimpilot likes this.
    09-23-13 09:37 PM
    Keep the Faith! These are interesting times for BlackBerry....and for the rest of us as consumers. I've always kept my options open regarding smartphones on different platforms. I'm not giving up on BlackBerry. I'm waiting to see what's going to happen now that they are going private. However, I plan on sticking with my Z10 because I want to....and I have an extra line besides my wife and son's cell line. Look at it this way, when Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys and won a couple of SuperBowls, fired the Legendary head coach - Tom Landry. and everyone associated with the old regime. Even fired the Jimmy Johnson, the coach that won the SuperBowls for him. But, now, the Cowboys are one of the top grossing franchises in the world........and they may or may not ever win another SuperBowl. So, as a businessman buying BlackBerry, it's about "potential" profits - 1st, being looked at as a hero by Canadians, while going back to where it started with BES and the corporate world. I have several small business ventures. So, I'm actually excited to see what is going to happen with the future of BlackBerry and QNX. Only time will answer the questions. Continue to keep the faith. But, keep it real.
    Alphax45 and eldricho like this.
    09-23-13 09:55 PM
    What Mr. Watsa, or whoever the eventual buyer of BlackBerry does is still a big "What If" but if he continues the hardware side of BlackBerry my view of his business savvy will be completely gone. Agree or disagree but to my mind, BlackBerry should have gotten out of hardware a few years ago.
    09-23-13 10:26 PM
    You know as much as anyone else here in the forum about the future of Blackberry, which is nothing.
    That isn't completely true I think. We do know what they have said and I believe they have said they were also going to focus on enterprise solutions rather than consumer sales.
    09-23-13 10:58 PM