Walking around DC today with the family and I was noticing with all the new Blackberry's out its surprising how many business users don't have them. All I see (when I don't see the iPhone from the younger crowd) is the 88xx series. I'm not saying I don't see a bold, tour, or a well I don't see storms at all. You all get the point though, when will the corporate guy in DC be upgrading or do they all just love the bigger design.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 06:56 PM
    Also keep in mind that corporations don't rush out and buy whatever is new.
    In some cases, especially medium to large entities, it would be cost prohibitive to
    do so, so they stick with what is working.
    03-30-10 07:49 PM
    Tell me about it were still using the M16 in the Army. Well we have the M4 too but that is only because its cost effective.

03-30-10 08:06 PM
    Not to mention that the 8830 is a world phone, and nowadays its probably cheaper to keep that series anyway.
    03-30-10 08:20 PM
    It has a lot to do with security. Many corps dont allow cameras in their facilities.
    03-30-10 08:21 PM
    You should have seen a fair amount of 87XXs too, they are very popular in the gov't sector.
    03-30-10 08:39 PM
    No I honestly didn't see any of those, I just saw a crap load of 88xx series.

03-30-10 08:41 PM
    another reason may be stealing. now which thief out there in their right mind would steal a 88xx series phone from a corporate user. they could easily jump on a young guy with a 9xxx series phone and get more money for it. so corporate users get their security for work by just using an older series.
    03-30-10 08:58 PM
    At my old company at least 1/2 the BB users have 8700's. The rest have nothing newer than an 8300. As long as they keep running the company won't go through the expense of updating them. it's just not necessary or worth it.
    03-30-10 10:12 PM
    I just had to turn in my 8830WE and I was not happy. Id always just had it, never paid attention to it, it just worked and that was it. Then I needed it earlier this year in an extreme environment and it totally came through for me. The second I fell in love with it it got taken away!
    They gave us 8530s. I wasn't happy, but now I like it. We upgrade every two years with a new contract. And we don't choose, it's picked for us. Only thing that changes is the funding string for each section.

PK - you're so right on the 87xx!!!! I had the 8703 and that thing was a TANK!!! First Berry I thought wasn't ugly as sin.

03-31-10 07:16 AM
    A couple hundred/thousand smart phones costs $$$ even with a discount.

I own a business and I care about my bottom line a helluva lot more than impressing some random tech-head.

Last edited by dchawk81; 03-31-10 at 07:40 AM.
    03-31-10 07:37 AM
    I see you chose to take the aggressive approach at a light hearted conversation,

03-31-10 07:42 AM
    Also keep in mind that corporations don't rush out and buy whatever is new.
    In some cases, especially medium to large entities, it would be cost prohibitive to
    do so, so they stick with what is working.
    At my old company at least 1/2 the BB users have 8700's. The rest have nothing newer than an 8300. As long as they keep running the company won't go through the expense of updating them. it's just not necessary or worth it.
    The company I work for just upgraded their BlackBerry "Fleet" (for lack of a better term) within the last year, and anyone who didn't have one already got an 8320. My boss got the 8350i since he's on Nextel, but previously he was carting around the old 71xx series, and one of the other guys was still rocking the 87xx.
    It's all about the bottom line, if it works, stick with it. Employees don't need anything really flashy, just what works.
    03-31-10 07:50 AM
    For one of my clients, I am managing a BB related project. You should see how many older device they have.

Out of over 3000 devices, the count is as such, roughly:

7250 - 22
    7290 - 8
    7520 - 3
    8100 - 37

etc..........
    03-31-10 07:57 AM
    We have over 20k devices worldwide and it is safe to say 15k are the 88xx series, just because we do NOT allow cameras in any of our facilities.
    03-31-10 08:03 AM
    That's a good point. In many companies, or government agencies, cameras are a no-no.
    03-31-10 08:49 AM
    Phones period in most government agencies are a no no, you have to leave them at the door

03-31-10 08:57 AM
    If it ain't broke, most companies are not going to want to replace them or spend extra money on newer devices. We were using 8703s and 8130s for the longest time. Even when someone would "accidently" damage an 8703, they still somehow manage to find a way replace it with a brand new 8703! Recently we "upgraded" all the 8703s to 8330s...not because, not because the hardware was old, but because the 8330 is on clearance and has VAD, and the province I live in recently passed hands free laws.
    03-31-10 09:13 AM
    Phones period in most government agencies are a no no, you have to leave them at the door

Depending on the level of access. Some facilities are completely closed and absolutely no phones with cameras or any type of camera is allowed. Others allow staff to carry personal phones with cameras. Others allow public within certain areas, while others not at all.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-31-10 at 04:44 PM.
    03-31-10 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD