i never understood that. some people will say it doesn't matter and others say it's best to keep the battery "topped off" which i never understood! isn't it better to use the battery till it's mostly dead and then recharge it and keep doing that? I personally feel it is extremely stupid to recharge a battery that is 60-70% full, don't you guys agree?
    06-14-09 10:44 AM
    Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

I thought so too until I read this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-09 10:55 AM
    They are lithium ion batteries. They dont have a "memory" like older batteries. It doesnt matter what you do either way. No need to charge it at 60% but it doenst effect it in anyway either. I do it all the time and never replaced a battery.
    06-14-09 11:00 AM
    Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

I thought so too until I read this.

good to know. i always thought letting it run out was good...apparently it's bad!
    06-14-09 11:08 AM
    What is the difference between Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, and Li-ion?
    Li-ion (Lithium Ion). This is one of the newest cell types available. It is also the lightest battery type currently available on a commercial basis and can provide more power than the other main cell types. There are no known problems of memory effect with this battery type and it is the easiest battery type to care for. The downside of this battery is that it has the highest engineering costs and therefore the price is usually considerably higher than other cell types.

Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride). This cell type is the most common cell type currently available for laptop computers, (although Li-ion is rapidly becoming the most popular) This battery type is relatively cheap to manufacture and therefore tends to be cheaper than Li-ion. This cell type is prone to 'memory effect' so it is important to take good care of your Ni-MH battery to ensure that you obtain the best runtimes.

Ni-Cd (Nickel Cadmium). This is one of the oldest cell types and is generally only found in older laptops. The main pro for this cell type is its ability to handle higher loads, and therefore is more commonly found in portable power tools or devices that need a lot of power to work efficiently. The main downside of this cell type is that it is notorious for suffering with memory effect so good care must be taken with this battery to ensure most effective use of battery.
    06-14-09 10:54 PM
    Check out post # 21, article posted by yester18:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/cha...-charge-26032/

06-15-09 04:49 AM
    Thankfully the people here at crackberry.com helped me out with this when I got my first BB device. I was ready to let my battery drain before charging it.
    06-15-09 09:03 AM
    According to the rep for the company we buy our LiOn stock from, letting the battery fall below the 3.0V threshold will cause damage very quickly and must be avoided. I would highly recommend NOT letting your battery fully discharge based on what I have been told.

In fact, never let it fall below 40%. This is straight from the manufacturer we deal with.

[EDIT]

Sorry, spelling mistake. Fixed now.
    Last edited by Radius; 06-15-09 at 10:49 AM.
    06-15-09 10:13 AM
    According to the rep for the company we buy our LiOn stock from, letting the battery call below the 3.0V threshold will cause damage very quickly and must be avoided. I would highly recommend NOT letting your battery fully discharge based on what I have been told.

In fact, never let it fall below 40%. This is straight from the manufacturer we deal with.
    That's good to know!! Thanks for the info.
    06-15-09 10:23 AM
    According to the rep for the company we buy our LiOn stock from, letting the battery fall below the 3.0V threshold will cause damage very quickly and must be avoided. I would highly recommend NOT letting your battery fully discharge based on what I have been told.

[EDIT]

Sorry, spelling mistake. Fixed now.
    This is exactly true. Letting your Li-Ion battery drain below a certain %, irreparably damages it. The more you let it drain completely, the quicker you getting to a battery that just will not ever hold a charge again.

Li-Ions like to be topped off. They have overcharge and overheat mechanisms, so always make sure to keep it over 50%

I've had my Li-Ion batteries last years with careful precautions..
    Last edited by sniffs; 06-15-09 at 12:45 PM.
    06-15-09 11:52 AM
    Just charge your phone and don't worry about it. More then likely you'll be looking into a new blackberry, and due for a new upgrade before you start noticing issues with your battery.
    06-15-09 12:34 PM
    I let my battery get to 5% and then I plug it in. I don't sit by a charger all day so I can't just plug it in at 50-60%. I haven't had any issues with past devices so it can't be that bad :P

06-15-09 01:27 PM
    How do you let your battery get down to 5%, doesn't the radio keep turning off? Or warning messages pop-up on your display to charge your battery?

You can purchase a new OEM battery for less than $10 shipped from an Amazon seller. You can swap in your spare battery when it gets down to about 40%.
    06-15-09 01:32 PM
    Basically when the LED starts blinking yellow I plug it in because the battery meter says "low battery". And why would I want to swap batteries and then have to charge 2 when I can get the full use with one? There's no point in having a 1500 mah battery if you can't use it...

06-15-09 01:39 PM
    I let my battery get to 5% and then I plug it in. I don't sit by a charger all day so I can't just plug it in at 50-60%. I haven't had any issues with past devices so it can't be that bad :P

I always did that too. Now I know why the batteries crapped out on my last 2 phones after a year and a half.

06-15-09 02:22 PM

It is that bad.. with Ni-Cad and NiMH in older devices, when the battery got to it's max charge, it showed whatever the % was.. so let's say after a year use of a device, your device would be stuck at 80%-90% and that's what would show on the screen. That 80%-90% was a 100% full charge because it's lost some of it's ability to charge fully.

Now-a-days, the device is great at fooling end users into thinking it's still 100% charged even though you have 80% battery capacity left.

So, with that said.. even though you've had your device for a year (or more) and it's still charging and showing 100%.. the 100% you show after a year or more is definitely not the same 100% that showed when you originally got it. It readjusts itself based on your available capacity.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by sniffs; 06-15-09 at 03:33 PM.
    06-15-09 03:28 PM
    do what you can when you can...there is a right way but it's not a perfect world.
    06-15-09 06:04 PM
    Hmmmm well I'm going to buy the 1650 seidio battery and then ill use that for a year and then when that craps out ill use the one that came with my bold (got it 5 weeks ago) for the next year lol, problem solved!

06-15-09 06:08 PM
    You can purchase a new OEM battery for less than $10 shipped
    This is the main relevant argument when people worry about the right or wrong way to charge, etc. Most people will spend more on a theme or app they will discard in a month...

I've got some users that rarely disconnect from their chargers. I just charge mine at night and use it during the day and don't have to worry about it much.
    06-15-09 07:03 PM
    Every time I think I have read enough about caring for my BB, I find something else that I should do. I was letting it drain but now I will keep it topped up.

Thanks CB!
    06-15-09 07:17 PM
    @Josh: Don't let a Li-Ion battery just sit. USE IT. It will crap out faster from not using it at all then using it improperly. Shelf life is horrible on those things.

06-15-09 08:14 PM
    Oh I use my blackberry hardcore! I run it down from 100% to 5% with a full days heavy usage. I'm usually out with friends and doing things so I just charge it when I get home (:

06-15-09 09:01 PM
    No I mean you said you were gonna get the seidio battery and put your oem battery away until the seidio craps out. I'm saying don't do that. Wait until the oem batt. Craps out to get the seidio

06-15-09 09:04 PM
    My battery life is so awesome and technology has given me another reason to not do something else.... worry about charging my battery I am thankful that I don't ever focus on my battery life because I just put my phone on my dock at work every now and then and I have been good to go for the past year.
    06-15-09 09:19 PM
    Just remember, Batteries are considered consumables. Don't expect them to last forever. Battery life depends on a lot of factors and not just charging.
    06-15-09 10:59 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD