I started a thread in the Playbook OS forum because of sudden battery drain issues I was experiencing. After a little trouble shooting, I found that I was having a problem with my Hotmail account in the Playbook's native email client.

My symptom was quick battery draining that started the past couple of days. Part of my troubleshooting was to delete the Hotmail account, monitor battery consumption, and then re-add it.

I deleted my Hotmail account and rebooted. I opened a few apps, and played around for a while and my batterry was holding normally. Then I tried to re-add my Hotmail account. It took my username and password, allowed me to select email, contacts, and calendar to sync, and then I pressed Save Settings. The little green circle spun for a couple of minutes and then I got a message saying "Account Hotmail - [email protected] failed testing with current settings.

I was able to successfully add a POP email account of mine, saw no battery drain, and then deleted it. I tried the Hotmail account again and got the same error.

The reason I'm posting this in General Discussion is that I'm not sure if it's a Playbook problem or if people with Hotmail accounts on other devices are experiencing problems. I'm also wondering if MS might have made changes to their back end which affect device connectivity. If memory serves me correctly, there have been Hotmail compatability issues in the past.

Is anyone else having issues with Hotmail either on the Playbook or phones? I don't use this account on my phone and given what I'm seeing I'm reluctant to try to add a Hotmail account to my phone right now.
    MikeInParadise likes this.
    07-30-12 03:03 PM
    You probably set it up to connect to hotmail as an Exchange account. The constant connection pull is pulling power I guess.
    07-30-12 03:22 PM
    You probably set it up to connect to hotmail as an Exchange account. The constant connection pull is pulling power I guess.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think that is the case because I had set up the Hotmail account immediately after getting OS 2.0 (months ago) and it has been working fine.

Not only was the battery draining quickly, but the back of the Playbook was getting hot. While troubleshooting, I noticed that I had no native email notifications but when I opened the email app, I had 9 unread emails.

The Account Setup is making it past authenticating my username and password. After selecting which serices (email, calendar, contacts) I want to sync, that's when it goes into a loop and eventually gives me the error.

I think that the problem is that when the Playbook is trying to see if there's new email, there's some sort of connectivity issue. I tried setting up a different Hotmail account to see if maybe there was some corruption associated with the account I had been using. But like the first account, I got past username/password authentication and it eventually gave an error after specifying which services it should sync.

I was able to successfully add a POP account and a Yahoo account. It's just Hotmail that's giving me problems. Also, after deleting the account, the back of my Playbook is not hot anymore and battery drain is back to normal.
    07-30-12 03:54 PM
    I am no longer able to use Hotmail from any of my mobile devices, I get an incorrect password message. But if I login from my desktop I have no problem whatsoever. Maybe Hotmail changed some security settings and it is messing with our accounts...

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    07-30-12 05:42 PM
    I had the same issue on my 9850 had to delete and reinstall the live account so I would think its a Microsoft issue not Rim.
    07-30-12 05:50 PM
    I don't have a regular hotmail account, but my provider's e-mails are powered by Hotmail.

I haven't any issues adding them or receiving notifications on my workberry or PlayBook.
    07-30-12 05:54 PM
    I don't have a regular hotmail account, but my provider's e-mails are powered by Hotmail.

I haven't any issues adding them or receiving notifications on my workberry or PlayBook.
    How did you setup your email account on the Playbook? I used Hotmail for my Sympatico account and it worked great for months, hasn't worked right in days now. Could you outline your setup for us please?
    07-30-12 06:27 PM
    Will do. On my way home now. Will post when I get in.

Sent from the ether...
    07-30-12 06:58 PM
    I am no longer able to use Hotmail from any of my mobile devices, I get an incorrect password message. But if I login from my desktop I have no problem whatsoever. Maybe Hotmail changed some security settings and it is messing with our accounts...

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    Funny you should mention this but as part of my effort yesterday to get rid of a huge amount of duplicate contacts on my BB I decided to unsync my MS Live Mail (hotmail) contacts on my BB. When I tried to do this I was prompted for my hotmail password, which was rejected. To make a long and frustrating story short the work around was to login to hotmail via web browser and change my password, the previous one worked fine and was recognized at login, and then enter the new password from my BB. Once I did that I was golden so you may try that.

I sure wish someone would come up with a tool to properly support contacts, etc. on hotmail. I'd gladly pay for it.
    Last edited by RJB55; 07-30-12 at 08:26 PM.
    07-30-12 08:21 PM
    I started a thread in the Playbook OS forum because of sudden battery drain issues I was experiencing. After a little trouble shooting, I found that I was having a problem with my Hotmail account in the Playbook's native email client.

My symptom was quick battery draining that started the past couple of days. Part of my troubleshooting was to delete the Hotmail account, monitor battery consumption, and then re-add it.

I deleted my Hotmail account and rebooted. I opened a few apps, and played around for a while and my batterry was holding normally. Then I tried to re-add my Hotmail account. It took my username and password, allowed me to select email, contacts, and calendar to sync, and then I pressed Save Settings. The little green circle spun for a couple of minutes and then I got a message saying "Account Hotmail - [email protected] failed testing with current settings.

I was able to successfully add a POP email account of mine, saw no battery drain, and then deleted it. I tried the Hotmail account again and got the same error.

The reason I'm posting this in General Discussion is that I'm not sure if it's a Playbook problem or if people with Hotmail accounts on other devices are experiencing problems. I'm also wondering if MS might have made changes to their back end which affect device connectivity. If memory serves me correctly, there have been Hotmail compatability issues in the past.

Is anyone else having issues with Hotmail either on the Playbook or phones? I don't use this account on my phone and given what I'm seeing I'm reluctant to try to add a Hotmail account to my phone right now.
    Press Back, Advanced Settings, and change the Server Address from m.hotmail.com to blu-m.hotmail.com, dub-m.hotmail.com, stn-hotmail.com, bay-m.hotmail.com or snt-m.hotmail.com......one of these should work
    GeorgeT93 likes this.
    07-30-12 08:27 PM
    07-30-12 08:35 PM
    Did you see this new thread on Hotmail and battery drain:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ccount-737790/
    MikeInParadise likes this.
    07-30-12 08:59 PM
    Yeah, on a few forums. I thought it was chalked up to using the wrong information when adding one's account.

I have 8 hotmail hosted accounts on my BB and all of them on my PB. I haven't noticed any power consumption spikes.
    07-30-12 09:04 PM
    Very interesting! F2 just referenced me to this thread. I can confirm that, as my thread states, my girlfriend is also having problems on her Nexus. Through the browser, everything works just fine though. I think its a hotmail issue. Hopefully people having this problems locates these threads.

(I'll have to 'thank' a few people once I get on crackberry through my PB or a desktop :P ).

edit: I have referenced this thread in my other thread.
    Last edited by apengue1; 07-30-12 at 10:09 PM.
    louzer likes this.
    07-30-12 09:08 PM
    Very interesting! F2 just referenced me to this thread. I can confirm that, as my thread states, my girlfriend is also having problems on her Nexus. Through the browser, everything works just fine though. I think its a hotmail issue. Hopefully people having this problems locates these threads.

(I'll have to 'thank' a few people once I get on crackberry through my PB or a desktop :P ).

edit: I have referenced this thread in my other thread.
    Thanks for bringing all of this together. Have you tried either/or changing your password via browser and/or trying any of the suggested server names? I changed my password, then changed it back both through the browser. Then I tried bay-m.hotmail.com and blu-m.hotmail.com. I'm still getting the "Account Hotmail - [email protected] failed testing with current settings".

@Oniberry - You have both existing Hotmail accounts as well as one/some you created just recently to test that all allow you to complete the Account Setup?
    07-31-12 01:25 AM
    I have had no problems adding a few hotmail accounts to my PB. I set up a tester e-mail addy and added that one as well.

Did hotmail enable some new security measure? Sort of like Google's two-step verification?
    07-31-12 07:38 AM
    Press Back, Advanced Settings, and change the Server Address from m.hotmail.com to blu-m.hotmail.com, dub-m.hotmail.com, stn-hotmail.com, bay-m.hotmail.com or snt-m.hotmail.com......one of these should work
    I started having the same problem as the OP yesterday. Just sitting there in standby for about 4 hours, and when I picked up my PB to use it, it felt warm, and the power had drained below 50% (it was around 48-49%). Removing hotmail and trying to re-add it caused an error message. But following Carullo's instructions, after re-adding it, I went and changed m.hotmail.com to blu-m.hotmail.com and it started connecting again properly, I'm again getting notifications, and so far, battery drain seems back to normal. Note that it was already set to blu-m.hotmail.com before I deleted the account, but when I re-added it, it was set to m.hotmail.com and needed to be changed.

Thanks for the info Carullo.
    -George
    carullo and morganplus8 like this.
    07-31-12 07:53 AM
    I started having the same problem as the OP yesterday. Just sitting there in standby for about 4 hours, and when I picked up my PB to use it, it felt warm, and the power had drained below 50% (it was around 48-49%). Removing hotmail and trying to re-add it caused an error message. But following Carullo's instructions, after re-adding it, I went and changed m.hotmail.com to blu-m.hotmail.com and it started connecting again properly, I'm again getting notifications, and so far, battery drain seems back to normal. Note that it was already set to blu-m.hotmail.com before I deleted the account, but when I re-added it, it was set to m.hotmail.com and needed to be changed.

Thanks for the info Carullo.
    -George
    Are you getting multiple inboxes/all folders?
    07-31-12 08:07 AM
    I've never seen any folders through the Playbook, it just shows me what's in my inbox. I'm only seeing one copy of each message. I need to go to hotmail through the browser if I want to use or manage the folders I have in hotmail, and even to permanently delete items from the 'deleted' folder (though they do delete on their own after so much time.) Hotmail is the only email account I have synced, as that's really the only one I use. I have my facebook account set up through it as well, but I don't think that really counts as an email inbox, but I am seeing the messages from there as well.

Hope this helps.

-George
    07-31-12 09:40 AM
    I asked this question in another thread http://forums.crackberry.com/general...verify-737548/ I thought it was just me but there's definitely an issue with hotmail if more people are having problems, i can log in fine from PC.
    07-31-12 10:08 AM
    I tried all of the server options and still can't get the account setup to complete successfully.
    07-31-12 12:52 PM
    Could any of the Hotmail issues be linked to msft changing hotmail with the outlook brand?

Just throwing it out there.
    07-31-12 01:17 PM
    i have 2 hotmail accounts on my PB, and never had any issue with battery power, or the accounts until this weekend.

i had to leave the PB at home in the morning for work, and when i got home it was off, and on the restart it beeped at me. i worried that someone at the house had messed with it. it was completely drained.

usual battery charge is 4am until 10-11pm, even using bridge 8+ hours. when it was drained in 6or so hours i worried that something was wrong internally. i also had the warm back on the PB as well with wifi connected. no issues with bridge.

very strange that an e-mail account could have such a dramatic affect on the battery. i have had no issues with my PB until this weekend.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    07-31-12 01:49 PM
    I tried all of the server options and still can't get the account setup to complete successfully.
    I tried col-m.hotmail.com and it worked for me. I had to delete my old hotmail account and reboot the PB, start fresh, and include this configuration and it worked.

For the domain I used:

XXX.hotmail.ca (for Canada),

Make sure you are using a proper Domain address for your location.

These two changes made it work again. GL
    07-31-12 01:57 PM
    Could any of the Hotmail issues be linked to msft changing hotmail with the outlook brand?

Just throwing it out there.
    Which you should sign up for now before your preferred user name is gone. Got my last, not terribly uncommon last name -- I haven't had that as a email username on an open or ISP email service since last century.
    OniBerry likes this.
    07-31-12 03:01 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD