Has anybody heard if RIM intends to make iPod-like device with BB10? My son is now starting to ask for an iPod because he has seen some of his friends with one.

If they don't intend to, I believe they should, they could target younger users. I've seen many a parent buy their child an iPod only for the ability to text with friends/family. I know Samsung has a device like this but I would much rather spend my hard earned cash on a BB gadget than a iPod or Android device.

What do you think.
    12-03-12 11:36 AM
    No they aren't and no they shouldn't
    SK122387 likes this.
    12-03-12 12:48 PM
    A good used BlackBerry, like my Pearl 3G, can be used on Wi-Fi only.... if I liked anyone well enough to part with it. #Doubtfulofthat though.
    12-03-12 12:53 PM
    An iPod Touch with a Blackberry is the perfect combination. That is my current setup.

Why not just get an iPod Touch? The 4th Generation is on sale due to the new 5th generation being available.

With the iPod touch, your son has all of the features of the iPhone without a phone/data plan.

If you just dont want to buy an iPod, any old smartphone could do the job connected to wifi-only.
    SK122387 likes this.
    12-03-12 01:02 PM
    My whole opinions of Apple changed at the time of Steve Jobs's death, when tv news replayed his presentation in which he declared that the iPod Touch was "the iPhone without a contract".
    I had been an Apple fan/admirer for 20 years, so I went away and compared the 2 models. I found that there was very little difference in spec but a huge difference in price. A 5th gen 64gb iPod Touch costs US$399, whilst a 64gb iPhone 5 is US$849. All I can see is that the iPhone has a better camera, a better case and can do calls and GPS. What else do you get for that extra $450? The iPod Touch suddenly looks to be good value.
    I think that such a device could be a good move for RIM, with many potential younger customers having wifi available at home, school or work.
    Last edited by YorkieRay; 12-03-12 at 02:25 PM.
    12-03-12 01:50 PM
    My whole opinions of Apple changed at the time of Steve Jobs, when tv news replayed his presentation in which he declared that the iPod Touch was "the iPhone without a contract.
    I had been an Apple fan/admirer for 20 years, so I went away and compared the 2 models. I found that there was very little difference in spec but a huge difference in price. A 5th gen 64gb iPod Touch costs US$399, whilst a 64gb iPhone 5 is US$849. All I can see is that the iPhone has a better camera, a better case and can do calls and GPS. What else do you get for that extra $450? The iPod Touch suddenly looks to be good value.
    I agree, the pricing is way off. I refused to pay full price though lol. I scored an iPod Touch 4th gen for $199 on Ebay.
    12-03-12 01:55 PM
    I had the 4th generation iPod touch and just got the 5th generation one. I think they're great, and would recommend the newest one because the 4th generation one has a back that scratches from just holding it in the palm of your hand. It's really terrible without a case, and have seen my friends' that look like they've been keyed, just from normal use.

I got the iPod touch because I wanted to play the games that aren't available for BlackBerry, and because even if the games were available for BlackBerry, I don't really want to be using my phone's battery to play those games.

I think iOS is perfectly suited for this sort of the device, because it is so basic. I do not think RIM should make a device like an iPod touch. That's not what they're known for and that would be a huge marketing undertaking for getting to people think of them as making a device like that. Android is hugely successful, especially Samsung phones, and even their Galaxy music player is no match for the iPod touch.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    12-03-12 01:59 PM
    I got the iPod touch because I wanted to play the games that aren't available for BlackBerry, and because even if the games were available for BlackBerry, I don't really want to be using my phone's battery to play those games.
    This exactly! I love being able to play all the fun and games, listen to my music and kill the battery on my iPod while my Blackberry stays fully charged. I love having a separate device.
    SK122387 likes this.
    12-03-12 02:04 PM
    This exactly! I love being able to play all the fun and games, listen to my music and kill the battery on my iPod while my Blackberry stays fully charged. I love having a separate device.
    I got two OEM JS1 batteries on ebay shipped from Windsor for 15$ total.
    12-03-12 02:22 PM
    I agree, the pricing is way off. I refused to pay full price though lol. I scored an iPod Touch 4th gen for $199 on Ebay.
    I bought a iPod 4th gen for $199 from Best Buy BRAND NEW. It came with a $50 gift card *Bonus*
    Last edited by TequilaAddict; 12-03-12 at 02:39 PM. Reason: ADDED = BRAND NEW
    12-03-12 02:38 PM
    If RIM came out with an alternative to the iPod, I would want to see it marketed quite differently than the BB10 phone line. In fact, I would rather see it this way:
    "BlackBerry Media Device" is to BlackBerry 10 as
    Kindle Fire is to Android
    Make it all about the media and the apps. The BB10 OS and UX focuses on communication, and no kid is going to ask for the ultimate communication device to play angry birds on or IM his friends. Develop a media centred UI like the Kindle Fire and sell it as "Name of Device" by BlackBerry (Using RIM less and less anyways)

Obvious problem is consistency of use across devices, but I really don't see BB10 as a media/consumption UI, UX, or OS. It would have to be different somehow.
    12-03-12 02:46 PM
    I bought a iPod 4th gen for $199 from Best Buy BRAND NEW. It came with a $50 gift card *Bonus*
    WOW! that's definitely a deal!! But I bet its not a 64GB iPod Touch!
    Last edited by shemaree09; 12-03-12 at 02:52 PM. Reason: to gloat and bold 64
    12-03-12 02:49 PM
    For something like that to have even a chance of being successful, it will need a robust content and app store. RIM doesn't have that...at least not yet.

Part of the appeal of the iPod touch is that it essentially offers the iPhone experience, without the phone part. I enjoy my combination of the 9900 + 5th gen touch - they allow me to experience the strengths of each platform, and at the same time filling in for each others weaknesses.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    shemaree09 likes this.
    12-03-12 03:02 PM
    WOW! that's definitely a deal!! But I bet its not a 64GB iPod Touch!
    Yeah, you're right. But a 32GB is plenty for a young kid, who is getting it as his starter media player.
    12-03-12 03:08 PM
    On the other hand, my step son was using his iPhone as an iPod Touch at my house over the weekend, because they haven't paid the Sprint bill.
    12-03-12 03:15 PM
    I ditched my second gen ipod touch when I got my BlackBerry Torch 9810. Only missed two things. One, playing a few games (that I had bought). Two, fun with jailbreaking. But I would never go back to an ios device again!
    12-04-12 06:26 AM
    I had the 4th generation iPod touch and just got the 5th generation one. I think they're great, and would recommend the newest one because the 4th generation one has a back that scratches from just holding it in the palm of your hand. It's really terrible without a case, and have seen my friends' that look like they've been keyed, just from normal use.

I think iOS is perfectly suited for this sort of the device, because it is so basic. I do not think RIM should make a device like an iPod touch. That's not what they're known for and that would be a huge marketing undertaking for getting to people think of them as making a device like that. Android is hugely successful, especially Samsung phones, and even their Galaxy music player is no match for the iPod touch.
    They are great for using Songza and Stitcher and other music apps that require WiFi, but without constantly draining your phone battery. And with an AppleTV, you can use Airplay to play anything on them to your TV. And all in a really portable package. They are a pretty cool device. But, as others have pointed out you get iPads for what you would pay for one, which will do all the same stuff but have a bigger screen for gaming.
    12-04-12 07:30 AM
    A Blackberry version of an iPod will be just as successful as any of the other MP3 players out there. iPod owns about 70% of the MP3 player market. The only competition it has is really from low price alternatives (since the Zune has been discontinued), which are more or less commodity goods, meaning very low profits.
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    12-04-12 07:55 AM
    If RIM came out with an alternative to the iPod, I would want to see it marketed quite differently than the BB10 phone line. In fact, I would rather see it this way:
    "BlackBerry Media Device" is to BlackBerry 10 as
    Kindle Fire is to Android
    Make it all about the media and the apps. The BB10 OS and UX focuses on communication, and no kid is going to ask for the ultimate communication device to play angry birds on or IM his friends. Develop a media centred UI like the Kindle Fire and sell it as "Name of Device" by BlackBerry (Using RIM less and less anyways)

Obvious problem is consistency of use across devices, but I really don't see BB10 as a media/consumption UI, UX, or OS. It would have to be different somehow.
    What if it is not the traditional media device, what if the emphasis was on SOCIAL media, a wifi device that is all about connecting with their friends over all of the social networks and IM clients. It would have the games and multimedia but it is geared more towards Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Instagram (if we get it) and all of the social networks. However, they may have to solve the BBM use without a BIS plan issue. I think one of the benefits of the iPod Touch is that it gets kids hooked to the iOS platform before they can get phones.
    12-04-12 07:59 AM
    What if it is not the traditional media device, what if the emphasis was on SOCIAL media, a wifi device that is all about connecting with their friends over all of the social networks and IM clients. It would have the games and multimedia but it is geared more towards Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Instagram (if we get it) and all of the social networks.
    Ever heard of the Kin?
    richardat likes this.
    12-04-12 08:04 AM
    There is no alternative to the ipod touch, Apple have nailed that one good and ironically, the ipad mini might kill it if anything, it's more or less the same price.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    12-04-12 08:07 AM
    Ever heard of the Kin?
    Yes, I have. I was replying to his assertion that he doesn't see BB 10 as a media/consumption UI, UX or OS. I was saying that maybe if the emphasis was on social media, instead of multimedia, maybe that BB 10 can work on something other than a phone. Honestly, this will be have to be tackled if and when they port this to a tablet.

I do not think they should do it but I think that if they were to do it, I would position/market it that way.
    12-04-12 11:20 AM
    Consider a Nexus 4 or other deactivated Android device before purchasing a iPod touch. Gotta remember that Android isn't like a BlackBerry. A deactivated Android is fully use able. No restrictions on it. My Nexus 4 with no Sim card still has email, Skype, Netflix, Google Play and unlimited voice calling and SMS to any phone number in the United States for free. The iPod touch can't be used as a phone later. With a deactivated android, you have a fully featured phone for about the same price and it serves as a back up if anything goes wrong with your real cellphone. But that's what I would do. Android has a MP3 player and no iTunes. That = a win to me.
    12-04-12 11:43 AM
    The problem with having a BB10 Touch device that isn't a phone is what to do about BIS (or whatever the next generation of BIS is called).

On iOS and Android devices, Apple and Google run the cloud servers for free. On BlackBerry devices, RIM charges for it and gets part of your mobile phone service provider fee.

That means that on the iPod Touch you can do almost anything that the iPhone can short of voice calls and SMS (and with Facetime and iMessage, you have a half work-around even for that). On current BlackBerry phones if you have wifi but no BIS there are many programs that won't work because the apps don't know how to choose the right network transport, or because they want to talk to the BIS for whatever reason.

Hopefully this changes with BB10 and the phones become less reliant on RIM's infrastructure but I can't see that happening since that is a significant source of service revenue for them. Does anybody really see RIM allowing push email without a BlackBerry data plan?
    12-04-12 12:01 PM
    What he said. RIM would never make a iPod touch like device. Let's look at the first WiFi only BlackBerry. The PlayBook. The first ever WiFi tablet that required a subscription for email. A lot of people blasted RIM because of no email without bridge, but I honestly think that was the way they intended the PlayBook to always work. I don't think RIM was going to give the PlayBook native email until the backlash came. Bridge was RIM's way of making sure you didn't get email on a BlackBerry without paying them for it. Lol RIM needs to wake up. They can't get away with charging for email anymore. Its not like BlackBerry email blows away their competitors. To be honest my Android and Windows Phone 8 devices deliver email as fast or faster (depending on the account) as my BlackBerry. I get notifications on Twitter for Android before they arrive to Twitter for BlackBerry also. Blah, RIM needs to demonstrate the value of BIS for normal everyday consumers. Cause I'm not seeing it. Everyone else has push now also. Hopefully, the carriers flat out refuse to pay RIM for BIS. We probably won't get that lucky, but it would be nice.
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    12-04-12 12:15 PM
33 12