Recently there has been a lot of gloating regarding the fact that BlackBerry sales whooped the iPhone again in the 4th quarter of 2009. (CrackBerry) Don't get me wrong, I'm right there in line snubbing my nose at the iPhone fan boys. But before we break our arms patting ourselves on the back, we might want to pause and do a quick reality check. Here's a sobering article that warrants consideration.

electronista: Holiday sees iPhone steal some BlackBerry market share

Honestly my feeling is that RIM needs to stop releasing a new phone every 5 months and make them better from the start. I would much rather wait a year for a new model and have it be stellar, than buy the latest and greatest every 5 months only to have them release a new "Fixed" model 3 months later.
    02-08-10 09:39 PM
    Honestly, those sales numbers are meaningless drivel.

As I have said before if you lump the sales of an entire device series against
    2 units you've already created the result you desire.

Show me a result saying any SINGLE Curve model phone outsold any iPhone
    and I'll be impressed. Until then the conversation is skewed and pointless.
    02-08-10 10:23 PM
    I still don't get the constant comparisons and debates about which one is better. Determine what you need most in a smartphone, do a little research to see which ones fill those needs most effectively, read a few reviews, do a test drive, and get it. Then use it however you need to use it, but try to have a little fun with it along the way.

There will never be one device that is perfect for everyone. How boring would that be?
    02-08-10 10:32 PM
    Show me a result saying any SINGLE Curve model phone outsold any iPhone
    and I'll be impressed. Until then the conversation is skewed and pointless.
    The Curve 83xx series did out-beat the iPhone on many occasion. BlackBerry Curve 83XX overtakes iPhone 3G in US smartphone rankings -- Engadget

The big question now is will the 85xx series curve will continue the lagacy to out sell the iPhone 3Gs series.
    Last edited by thymaster; 02-08-10 at 10:45 PM.
    02-08-10 10:43 PM
    The Curve 83xx series did out-beat the iPhone on many occasion. BlackBerry Curve 83XX overtakes iPhone 3G in US smartphone rankings -- Engadget.
    You just made my point for me.

They compared the sales of the 8300, 8310, 8320 and 8330 against ONE
    SINGLE phone. Of course the sales number would favor the BB.

How did the individual units do. I suspect not anywhere close to the whole series.
    02-08-10 11:04 PM

How did the individual units do. I suspect not anywhere close to the whole series.
    There's two ways to look at this, what single phone outsold the other, and which company outsold the other? Depends what you are looking for.

And as for the fuzzy bunny and the pond crawler, I hope RIM is the pond crawler. At least he won in the end.
    02-08-10 11:50 PM
    It's less about who sold more and more about which one is 'better.'

There is a reason why I don't have an iPhone.
    There is a reason why you don't and
    there is a reason you might.
    02-08-10 11:55 PM

Damn your completely ambiguous drivel, I don't want an iPhone, or maybe I do. Maybe I will...

You confuse me.
    02-08-10 11:57 PM

Wow!! I don't even know where to start
    02-08-10 11:59 PM

Its not like we are comparing the entire Motorola line of cellphones to the iPhone. The blackberry line of devices are all very similar and provide the same functionality as one another. Of course the individual units don't do as good as the iPhone 3g/3gs, however you could defiantly group them as one device, just in different form factors and for different networks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-10 12:03 AM
    Wow!! I don't even know where to start
    I've never known you to start anything AG, you usually just finish it.
    02-09-10 12:05 AM
    Its not like we are comparing the entire Motorola line of cellphones to the iPhone. The blackberry line of devices are all very similar and provide the same functionality as one another. Of course the individual units don't do as good as the iPhone 3g/3gs, however you could defiantly group them as one device, just in different form factors and for different networks.
    If this were correct it would make sense. Since it isn't it doesn't

The differences between the four is more than a form factor and network
    argument.

They are internally different. That distinction is why when comparing their
    sales to anything else they should NOT be grouped.
    02-09-10 12:07 AM
    If this were correct it would make sense. Since it isn't it doesn't

The differences between the four is more than a form factor and network
    argument.

They are internally different. That distinction is why when comparing their
    sales to anything else they should NOT be grouped.

Though I hate to agree, I must,

IF they didn't name the 8900 and the 85XX Curve but some other code name, would the 83XX stand on its own as the #1 seller? I am sad to speculate I think not,

If they separated out 9000 and 9700 as well, I bet we'd have the same number of placings in the top 10, they'd just be lower, and the top 15 we'd look like a Rim family gathering.
    02-09-10 06:09 AM
    I think it is a somewhat fair assessment. Why? Because you can purchase a Curve at any carrier. Sure, you go to VZW and get the 8330, and to AT&T and get the 8320, but the Curve is still the same in the lineup.

I do agree that the 85xx and 89xx are different and should be listed seperately. I just think it is being nit picky to seperate out the 83xx series to its different sub-models.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-09-10 07:38 AM
    I still don't get the constant comparisons and debates about which one is better. Determine what you need most in a smartphone, do a little research to see which ones fill those needs most effectively, read a few reviews, do a test drive, and get it. Then use it however you need to use it, but try to have a little fun with it along the way.

There will never be one device that is perfect for everyone. How boring would that be?
    Cant agree more working for 3mobile and with them not offically selling the iphone, in a city which is domainted by smartphone users mainly iphone and blackberry users, i have so many people commming in and comparing smartphones most people dont realise htc and blackberry are just as user friendly, but iphone is what they always come in asking for normally untill i explain and demo other handsets apple is shoved down everyones throats with there adverts on 247.
    02-09-10 07:39 AM

It's a land rush.
    IMHO, all BlackBerry models are the same, as are the other manufacturers smartphones. Breaking it down further makes no sense, new technology will always displace older technology, which become "Value".
    02-09-10 12:41 PM
    iPhone is available through only one provider, ATT. Blackberry's are available through Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, Sprint, and now even Metro PCS.
    02-09-10 01:02 PM
    Those quarterly sales mean jack when you are on just about every Major carrier in the US (and the World) and carriers here in the US are basically giving away blackberries. Buy 1 get 1. The iPhone kicks blackberry arse any day of the week.
    In some areas, I agree it does. However there will always be a demand for blackberries. Eventually Apple will get better at enterprise functions and RIM at consumer features. Give it a few years and the differences between the two will be naught more than brand and OS. It is then that we will find out which (blackberry) is better :P

*edit* not to mention when I'm on the road I like my phone to last more than a few hours lol. I mean c'mon apple, my 9700 easily lasts me 1.5 days +!
    Last edited by cafejunkie; 02-09-10 at 01:55 PM.
    02-09-10 01:53 PM
    rims goal is to get a blackberry into everyones hand no matter the model. They are trying to appease different levels with the blackberry's they release.
    02-09-10 02:16 PM

And no matter where you go, there you are.

02-09-10 04:55 PM
    In the uk-iphone is the biggest seller. There has been nothing like it. I am a bb man -but the iphone 3gs is the best thing I have ever used. I hate to admit but it is true. My friends are reps for vfone and they can't get rid of the storm 2. It is embarrassing for rim. Maybe in the US it is different but in the uk ,iphone is the Biggest seller by far. Don't get me wrong I love my bb8900 but the new iphone is extremely good. It was a sad sight to see my phone next to it and get whooped.

02-09-10 05:11 PM
    Those quarterly sales mean jack when you are on just about every Major carrier in the US (and the World) and carriers here in the US are basically giving away blackberries. Buy 1 get 1. The iPhone kicks blackberry arse any day of the week.
    Contrare, monfrare....I manage multiple email accounts for my business and IMO the Blackberry takes a back seat to no one! Now, as said before...it depends on YOUR individual needs but I would never try to manage my email accts with an iphone.
    02-09-10 07:19 PM

Not to mention, but how many different carriers do the Curves cover in comparison to the single carrier the iPhone is on.

Anyone not realizing these number comparisons are off IS a bit off. Lol

I sware, BB people are worse then iPhone people when it comes to bending reality in their favor sometimes.

02-09-10 11:45 PM

wonderful insight.
    02-10-10 12:57 AM
    Would I be right in thinking that all the different variations of the 8300 series are down to carriers preferences and not rim? I don't think you'll find two of them at a carrier, they always offer one or the other. So essentially they are the same phone.
    What baffles me is how such an ageing smart phone still comes out on top.

02-10-10 02:44 AM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD