Hey guys,

So my friend who owns an iPhone 3GS kept bothering me with the fact that he thinks his phone is better than a Blackberry.

He tries to dispute claims saying that iPhone is like a mini-computer and has everything Blackberry does and more. He also thinks that Touchscreen phones are superior than ones with physical keyboards.

We were talking about me getting a Blackberry Bold 9700 when the topic of "Why don't you get an iPhone instead?" came up. He kept saying that iPhone is far superior, it's like comparing "Apple's Mac to Microsoft's Windows" (BB being Windows" and saying BB is trying to catch up and be competitive while Apple is ahead in the game...

So what would you say to my friend? I could not even convince him that both phones are different and each have their own good and bad, but he's all set down that everything about iPhone is superior than Blackberry. Also when I said "Well that's your opinion" he's like "You can't deny the absolute truths that iPhone is better".

What you guys think?
    11-19-09 02:14 PM
    For a guy with 78 posts I'm suprised you don't know that this topic has been
    beaten to death.
    11-19-09 02:15 PM
    Yes very much so! Do a search and you will see that someone post this question a solid 5 times a week. It always gets the same answers and arguments.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 02:26 PM
    Look at it this way....

If you had someone that's on a limited budget each month and didn't have enough money for both a phone (voice only) and a laptop/Internet at home, but wanted to be able to do 9x% of as many things as possible online, an iPhone would be a much better suggested solution then a Blackberry. Better browser would not limit their abilities online on certain websites (we all know BB can't render sites). Many more apps for the iPhone that are actually very useful (i.e. barcode scanners for savvy shoppers, cc processing apps if they're in need of that, even RFID scanning hardware/software that plugs right into an iPhone for whatever needs.)

The bottom line is, while there is no perfect smartphone out there, I think only idiots would argue that an iPhone isn't superior to other smartphones when it comes down to "using it as a PC replacement". It far has many more uses that it's capable of then other smartphones do. This is of course... in today's timeframe. Who knows how the future may turn out...

I keep telling people, the biggest issue the iPhone has negative wise is the carrier it's on in the US. AT&T's network blows... had Verizon bought into it originally, AT&T would probably be out of business by now.

I however don't agree with your friend when he said Macs are better then PCs with Windows on it. That's just ignorance on his side... basically, he's still ignorant if he couldn't really dive into details of why he thinks his iPhone is better then your BB. Ya gots to be able to cite specific scenarios and capabilities of why it's better.... not just say it is cuz it's Apple.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-19-09 at 04:31 PM. Reason: profanity filter evasion
    11-19-09 02:32 PM
    This entire topic is up to complete opinion. That's why this question is dumb. Some people love the iphone some people hate. I personally think its a great device and a horrible phone. I love my blackberry because it does the things I need and does them very well. When I had my iphone I was less productive in general. That's my 2 cents. Everybody has there own and that's why I don't get why people keep asking these questions. Do what's right for you, and use a phone that's right for you.

11-19-09 02:35 PM
    Reasons why I didn't get an iPhone:

Multitasking. I can run several apps at the same time. I have a few that run in the background (like Drivesafe.ly, JiveTalk, Google Voice - two of those apps aren't availavle on the iPhone).

Multiple e-mail addresses. I have 7 e-mail addresses on my BB and use all of them almost daily (a couple are used several times an hour). Having the LED notifications is an important part of being able to communicate quickly.

I know they NOW have GPS navigation on the iPhone, but if you get a call, it will close out of GPS to answer the call, then have to be reloaded. Garmin pops back up on my screen when the call is over, never missing a beat.

I use BBM a lot. I have many friends all over the world. I would lose contact with them.

Around my area, phone service is extremely lacking on the iPhone. My best friend jsut got rid of his - he would have to go outside of his office to answer the phone. We could almost count on dropped calls if he called me while driving down the road.

It is definitely a personal preference. I looked at what works for me and made my decision that way.
    11-19-09 03:09 PM
    You know, i happened to be at an att store yesterday cuz i needed something for my boss and this is his carrier. So i played with the iphone for a bit cuz i've had a couple and i wanted to see what's new.
    What i realized is that i could compare the Iphone to a BMW. I had to type very softly, it is light and it looks/feels expensive. My storm2 is like a heavy duty truck, it is heavy, i have to really punch in the screen when typing. It is realiable, and meant for like a use heavy enviroment.
    Just my two cents
    11-19-09 03:55 PM
    plus you cant even set a background image on your main screen in an ipone...

We however have this really neat site with all those glorious wallpapers.
    11-19-09 03:59 PM

Multitasking. I can run several apps at the same time. I have a few that run in the background (like Drivesafe.ly, JiveTalk, Google Voice - two of those apps aren't availavle on the iPhone).

Multiple e-mail addresses. I have 7 e-mail addresses on my BB and use all of them almost daily (a couple are used several times an hour). Having the LED notifications is an important part of being able to communicate quickly.

I know they NOW have GPS navigation on the iPhone, but if you get a call, it will close out of GPS to answer the call, then have to be reloaded. Garmin pops back up on my screen when the call is over, never missing a beat.

I use BBM a lot. I have many friends all over the world. I would lose contact with them.

Around my area, phone service is extremely lacking on the iPhone. My best friend jsut got rid of his - he would have to go outside of his office to answer the phone. We could almost count on dropped calls if he called me while driving down the road.

It is definitely a personal preference. I looked at what works for me and made my decision that way.
    My friend says iPhone has all that you just cited. I don't know. I never gotten into an argument about iPhones and BB before that's why I posted.
    11-19-09 04:54 PM
    Honestly your friend sounds like a fanboy, just stop arguing with him. He's made up his mind that iPhone is God and it will save him and fight all his battles for him and tuck him into bed at night. Why worry yourself with it? If you like BlackBerry, than stick with it and ignore his fanboy rants.
    11-19-09 07:33 PM
    I am not getting an iPhone until they get a real key board. I have an iPod touch. I just can't type on it

11-20-09 02:29 AM
    My brother has an iPhone, and I have a BB Curve and we rely heavily on their performances. He gets his jobs done, and I get mine done as well. As long as we are meeting deadlines and sales goals, what does it matter what phone we have. In the end, it comes down to individual tastes and choice.
    11-20-09 04:18 AM
    Blackberry Ofcourse!!
    11-20-09 04:37 AM
    It depends on which blackberry you want. My wife has the Iphone and i like it compaired to my Blackberry. But when I upgrade my phone I think I will stick with the blackberry just a better one. It all comes down to a personal choice.
    11-20-09 11:10 AM
    My Tour is my first smart phone. And I love it.

When iPhones first came out I said, ooooh I want one of those. But I knew I wouldn't get it since my entire family is on Verizon and it just made sense to go VZW.

The other day, I wasi n my local VZW store and decided to try and play with a Storm 2. I think my mind is made up even moreso now, even if VZW gets an iPhone, I will be staying with BB as I cannot type for $%^& on a touchscreen. My fingers are just too big.

That being said, even if the iPhone had a slide out keyboard, I would still be sticking with a BB as I have grown to depend on what BB does so well. The mail features are fantastic and allows me to keep in close contact with coworkers, which is critical when you work in the consulting world and have essentially a virtual office.

My personal opinion, and it truly is IMHO, those like the OP's friend who say this device or that is the best, without really backing it up, are having buyer's remorse or jealousy over a feature that their choice does not have. Or simply they just don't want to admit that the other choice might have been a better one.

That's my $.02 for today. Off to thinking about what kind of bacon I will be wrapping my Turkey with on Thursday......
    11-20-09 11:25 AM
    Iphove vs Blackberry!!

It's a tricky one. I'm close to getting a new phone as my old BB curve is beat to death so I've been looking for all the BB vs Iphone discussion I can find to help me chose.

My gut feeling is I'm going with the 9700 when AT&T gets it. Here are the reasons and they are all small things.

When I list the little things that the Iphone is lacking it makes me think the designers must be brain dead computer geeks who have no concept of how people use smart phones. These would all be easy fixes. I'm sure the executives at apple all used BB's in the years before the Iphone. How could they have overlooked so many of the things that make devices nice to use

Why doesn't the IPhone funnel messages into one in box the way the blackberry does? If it did I would strongly consider it but having to jump back and forth to see diff email addresses plus text messages in a different place drives me crazy on my ipod touch. They must be morons to stick with this set up.

Why only 200 messages. Sheesh I can buy a 32gig I phone but only save 200 messages? It's my phone! I bought it If I want to fill 32gigs up with emails why does Apple care? Steve Jobs keep your grubby hands off my email settings. The Apple designers must be wierd-o control freaks or something?

-Notification.
    Why no LED? It's a phone or goodness sakes don't they know we want to see when we have a missed call or a message? Why no notification of messages or missed calls on the unlock screen? Why? It's such a basic thing. I don't what to have to unlock my phone to see if I have a message? I want to pull it out of my pocket see the led flashing then press the round button and see notifications right there that tell me what's up.

-Push email would have been a deal breaker but with push gmail via exchange I think I'm ok with my other accounts on fetch. But why fetch only every 15 minutes. It's my phone! If I want to fetch every 5 min or one min who is Apple to tell me not to?

-BBM...not much Apple can do about this one. Most of my friends are on BB and BBM is a great way to communicate. The network affects the RIM has on it's side here are going to be hard for Apple to beat. However if apple fixed the above BBM might not be enough.

-----

Reasons why part of me considers the iphone even with these deal breakers.

Itunes is the big reason. IE not having to carry a bb and a ipod around. Though I've started syncing music to my BB it's not quite as smooth. Maybe ill get a ipod nano and carry that around.

-----------
    Things that don't matter much but are worth mentioning.

-Real keyboard vs touch. Not a deal breaker. The real key board in easier to type on but the touch works fine and the trade off is a larger screen. I like the keyboard but I've been using email on my ipod touch to test out if I would like the Iphone and it's fine.

-Web browser. Not a deal breaker. Web browser on a phone is something I use about once a month or less. Maybe if I had a Iphone I would waist more time on the web but I'm sure I don't need it. New BB browser is not as good as Iphone but good enough for the once a month I use it.

-HTML email is better on the iphone. But it also makes email slower. The only emails that come in full HTML are advertising. So with the Iphone you can see your spam ad email better. Not a deal breaker ether way. BB should really clean this up though.

-Apps? Get a life... There may be a few good ones but really its a gimic. 13 year olds probably have lots of fun with apps.
    On the other hand I can see how some apps work well for business ..IE the way they check you out at the apple store right on the iphone.

-Games? Again the 13 year olds are in heaven.

-The iPhone looks nice. Its true but not a deal breaker ether way.

-Google Maps works just as well on blackberry. I use it all the time. Plus it has latitude

-I keep in touch with facebook friends on the blackberry fine plus the app is linked with your inbox so facebook messages come through just like email. Apple you could learn something

-Wifi. Of course we want wifi but is there a way to stop the iphone from popping up a list of networks every two seconds? It is so annoying!

-UI on the iphone is nice but it waists time with all the animation just go to the message already I don't need to see the screen slide to the next one! Just show it to me!

-Email pictures come through better on the iphone. It's true. But not a deal breaker.

The sad part is that even with all this it's still a tough call. Just got a email with two pictures in it. Ipod I can see them right in the body of the email can zoom in and they look great. Black berry can't see them at all, need to download.

If Apple wakes up and makes the very simple fixes I mentioned above suddenly my BB would be in trouble. Something tells me Apple will get to it sooner or later.
    Last edited by Need new phone; 11-20-09 at 12:00 PM.
    11-20-09 11:53 AM
    Iphove vs Blackberry!!

It's a tricky one. I'm close to getting a new phone as my old BB curve is beat to death so I've been looking for all the BB vs Iphone discussion I can find to help me chose.
    Thank you for that thought provoking post.

This is a good example of why the comments, negative to posting a new thread, for a subject that has been discussed in the past.

This is Web 2.0. It is driven by your questions, the thoughtful comments are there to be shared with everybody that is here to read it, today.

Unfortunatly, there is a need to filter the non productive content.

11-20-09 12:12 PM
    Um I would probably just tell him that you will defriend him from Facebook if he keeps going on and on about his phone.
    11-20-09 12:25 PM
    Personally - i SERIOUSLY detest touch screen phones!
    I wouldnt entertain a touchscreen phone after the problems I had with a previous phone. I find touch screens hard and tricky to use,esp if youve got big hands, which in turn led to complications sending messages and the such!
    Ive personally found,touch screens start looking a bit shabby if you dont take measures to protect them.
    My friend is so gentle with her Iphone incase it breaks, it looks and feels expensive! I dont want a phone im scared of using! hence me having my very gorgeous blackberry! :-D
    11-20-09 12:53 PM
    ok. This really is like being either Pro-Choice or Pro-Life. You're either one or the other and neither side can typically persuade the other. It's also like MAC users vs Windows users. It so totally depends on what you're looking for and which form factor you find easier to use. I can see the allure of the iphone but after trying a touch screen phone myself, I ended up coming back to Blackberry. While it may not have the bells and whistles, it is infinitely easy to use and very dependable. I just picked up a new Bold 9700 and it's just a great phone. The keyboard is nice, the track pad way better than I thought and the threaded texting great. Even if I actually like the iphone, AT&T in this area is spotty at best so what's the point? Blackberries run across all carriers so everyone can take advantage of the provider they like best and which works best in their area (no little thing). In the end, you get what works for you and to say one is clearly better than the other is just plain ignorant.
    11-20-09 01:14 PM

My friend says iPhone has all that you just cited. I don't know. I never gotten into an argument about iPhones and BB before that's why I posted.
    the iPhone does multi tasking? i dont think so...your friend is wrong.
    11-20-09 01:17 PM
    Really? Let's do iPhone vs Chevy Truck. There is no other device out there like the iPhone and there is no other device out there like the blackberry. So on and so forth. While the iPhones were nice when I tried them, they were a mere toy. When it came to getting down to business with some fun on the side the blackberry was the first choice. I am not going to say iPhones are junk because the number of sales would state otherwise, but it does have its down falls and right now they do not fit my lifestyle nor needs.
    11-20-09 05:25 PM
    iphone or bb? ford or chevy? coke or pepsi? no matter what you say someone will always disagree with you.
    11-20-09 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD